Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Penetration Cards for all non-balance schools

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I think penetration cards should be introduced into the game. Penetration cards would work in the same way as target and strength cards work, that is to say you would use penetration cards to enhance your learned cards. If you are storm and use a penetration card on your attack, your attack would penetrate all storm defenses like they weren't there, or at least would penetrate through most of the damage. Say a balance player had storm defense on his equipment, plus had a couple different types of storm shields up, if a storm player used penetrate the attack would either do full damage or could be made to reduce all defenses against the attack at least in half.

Storm keeps being killed in PvP largely due to low health, storm dispels, and an over abundance of shields against storm. Balance school on the other hand has heavy hitting attacks and only has to worry about tower shields. Penetration cards essentially helps to even the playing field by saying all the other schools can avoid such defenses themselves though their maximum damages would suffer a bit cause using a penetration type card prevents the use of a strength type card upon whatever card is being used to attack.

My complaint as a storm player is the same complaint that ice, fire, and life have, we keep getting our spells dispelled and when going last we keep getting hit by beguile. I think the penetration cards should also penetrate through dispels and beguiles as if they didn't happen or weren't even there. Keep in mind dispels and beguiles only really work well when a side goes first, so there should be a counter that the side that goes last can play to avoid such attacks, and that counter could well be penetration cards.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2010
I agree with this, storm was taken down when they switched our wild bolt. and storm can't break through all their defenses without something like this

Explorer
Jun 04, 2010
seasnake wrote:
I think penetration cards should be introduced into the game. Penetration cards would work in the same way as target and strength cards work, that is to say you would use penetration cards to enhance your learned cards. If you are storm and use a penetration card on your attack, your attack would penetrate all storm defenses like they weren't there, or at least would penetrate through most of the damage. Say a balance player had storm defense on his equipment, plus had a couple different types of storm shields up, if a storm player used penetrate the attack would either do full damage or could be made to reduce all defenses against the attack at least in half.

Storm keeps being killed in PvP largely due to low health, storm dispels, and an over abundance of shields against storm. Balance school on the other hand has heavy hitting attacks and only has to worry about tower shields. Penetration cards essentially helps to even the playing field by saying all the other schools can avoid such defenses themselves though their maximum damages would suffer a bit cause using a penetration type card prevents the use of a strength type card upon whatever card is being used to attack.

My complaint as a storm player is the same complaint that ice, fire, and life have, we keep getting our spells dispelled and when going last we keep getting hit by beguile. I think the penetration cards should also penetrate through dispels and beguiles as if they didn't happen or weren't even there. Keep in mind dispels and beguiles only really work well when a side goes first, so there should be a counter that the side that goes last can play to avoid such attacks, and that counter could well be penetration cards.

you are a GENIUS

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Storm can use Cleanse Charm to remove a Dispel from an ally.

For a moment, I thought you were talking about spells like Disarm and Pierce or Steal Charm or Steal Ward. If you had, I would have had the perfect suggestion for the Life and Death spells. I'll put them down anyways:

Death -
Corrupt Armor - 3 Pips
Turn 1 Positive Ward into a Negative Ward of the same Value

Poisonous Strength - 2 Pips
Turn 1 Negative Charm into a Positive Charm of the same Value

Life -
Blessing - 2 Pips
Turn 1 Negative Ward into a Positive Ward of the same Value

Overdosed - 1 Pip
Turn 1 Positive Charm into a Negative Charm of the same Value

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
seasnake wrote:

Leave it to you to snipe Balance. Is there ever a single week that you don't whine and moan about how you suck against Sorcerers? Geez.

On the off chance that KingsIsle makes an asinine decision to do this, the Penetration cards couldn't work on generic Damage mitigaters.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
seasnake wrote:

Leave it to you to snipe Balance. Is there ever a single week that you don't whine and moan about how you suck against Sorcerers? Geez.

On the off chance that KingsIsle makes an asinine decision to do this, the Penetration cards couldn't work on generic Damage mitigaters.

since I have both balance and storm at legendary, and since storm has consistantly gotten weaker and weaker in contrast to the other characters, I'll pretty much keep on this topic as nothing ever improves for storm but merely is taken away and most storm players that I speak with are heavily upset to the point of quitting over it

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
Ok I dont think if any of you see the huge flaw in this...maybe you see it seasnake but then again maybe not, if this was introduced into the game then shields would be useless what your asking is a lopp hole through good defense so you can use your high damage attacks without any resistance. Thats insanity....Another thing, Johnist those card wouldnt work cause then some one could break the game...literally, if you really think about it being able to turn all negative charms into positive ones, means that you could have infinite attack power let me give you the worst case scenario for this problem

Example: Lets say your storm, you used all possible blades thats storm blade, elemental blade, balance blade, and blade storm,(not to mention enchanted ones from card packs) then you already have all your traps feint, hex, curse, storm trap, windstorm, and elemental trap(not to mention card pack ones) now the opponent has tons of storm shields, you would be able to turn all those shields into boosts and since they are all different each one would be counted just counting storm shields at max that is 1,2,3,4,5 shields that could stop storm(tower, elemental, fire's shield, ice's shield and storm shield) now thats already about 15 boosts(again not to mention treasures) now you have all possible negative wards thats ALLOT all negative means dispells of any kind, weaknesses, black mantles, infections, thats 12 cause for each weakness black mantle and infection there is one that ocmes with gear that would do more. Thats 27 boosts! That means yup overkill so much you BROKE THE GAME(not literally for those who dont know this expression)

Survivor
Apr 08, 2010
When storm had wild bolt we at least had a chance, now we don't even have that. Balance don't have any shields except absorb and tower that block them, where they use all of the shields they can and none of the other schools can do any damage to them. The only reason balance beats everyone is because no one else can hit them due to their shields and they can use judgement.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
Then they unbalanced the game even more on balance by giving it another all hittter. Every other class has two all hitters 'cept Balance has 3 All hitters now. Maybe in the next world balance will just get a single hit one and all other classes 'cept myth will get multi hitters.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
slink1997 wrote:
When storm had wild bolt we at least had a chance, now we don't even have that. Balance don't have any shields except absorb and tower that block them, where they use all of the shields they can and none of the other schools can do any damage to them. The only reason balance beats everyone is because no one else can hit them due to their shields and they can use judgement.

Dude, Someone has already done a one-hit-kill with Wild Bolt in PVP Opening Round with the new bolt.

They had to change Wild Bolt because it was no longer 'Wild' as in will it go off or not due to the gear accuracy, the Unstoppable cards, and the Infallible aura (and pet accuracy).

The one hit kill was a critical 1000 that hit for over 3k in total damage due to storm's Gear Boost. All they really did was ensure that the 'Wild' part of Wild Bolt remained. PVP Ruins too many things about this game, but this I would have to say is a change for the better, in my opinion.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
seasnake wrote:
since I have both balance and storm at legendary,

Mm hmm. That's why you apparently don't even know what it's like for Sorcerers before they get Judgement.

and since storm has consistantly gotten weaker and weaker in contrast to the other characters,

Considering the insanity of the power, I think it's safe to say that Storm is monumentally stronger in terms of Attack power.

I'll pretty much keep on this topic

Apparently so. Unfortunately.

as nothing ever improves for storm but merely is taken away

If that's the case, explain Leviathan. Explain StormLord. Heck, explain why Storm even has any Spells at all.

and most storm players that I speak with are heavily upset to the point of quitting over it

Looking around the Message Boards, the only Diviner fed up with anything would be you. If you want to quit, fine. Out you go, adios, auf wiedersehen, aloha, sayonara, good-bye.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
slink1997 wrote:
When storm had wild bolt we at least had a chance,

Reliance on a Spell with a 10% chance of hitting? Yeah, right. And I'm a 2-foot tall Tyrannosaurus with pink and blue fur.

now we don't even have that.

See above. Besides, ever heard of StormLord? Triton? Stormzilla? Mm hmm.

Balance don't have any shields except absorb and tower that block them,

This is what I refer to as "selective ignorance." It's true that Balance has no School-specific Shield or Dispell. What you "select" to be "ignorant" of (hence the name) is the lack of any Balance-specific Blade or Trap (there isn't even a generic Prism for Balance, either).

where they use all of the shields they can and none of the other schools can do any damage to them.

That's what I call "a bald-faced lie." The Balance triple Shields don't stack; anyone at the level of competition at which the overly dreaded Judgement combo is possible can easily overpower these Shields.

The only reason balance beats everyone is because no one else can hit them due to their shields and they can use judgement.

"Lack of skill on the part of the opponent" is really the only factor.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Since when did Storm suddenly suck so badly, eh? I can beat a Level 55 Death with my Level 45 Diviner! I can beat Ice, even with their shields that stack. Storm just needs skill and strategy to be good at PVP, but still anybody can be a BEAST at the game with Storm.

GO STORM!

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
MasterColeman wrote:
Ok I dont think if any of you see the huge flaw in this...maybe you see it seasnake but then again maybe not, if this was introduced into the game then shields would be useless what your asking is a lopp hole through good defense so you can use your high damage attacks without any resistance. Thats insanity....Another thing, Johnist those card wouldnt work cause then some one could break the game...literally, if you really think about it being able to turn all negative charms into positive ones, means that you could have infinite attack power let me give you the worst case scenario for this problem

Example: Lets say your storm, you used all possible blades thats storm blade, elemental blade, balance blade, and blade storm,(not to mention enchanted ones from card packs) then you already have all your traps feint, hex, curse, storm trap, windstorm, and elemental trap(not to mention card pack ones) now the opponent has tons of storm shields, you would be able to turn all those shields into boosts and since they are all different each one would be counted just counting storm shields at max that is 1,2,3,4,5 shields that could stop storm(tower, elemental, fire's shield, ice's shield and storm shield) now thats already about 15 boosts(again not to mention treasures) now you have all possible negative wards thats ALLOT all negative means dispells of any kind, weaknesses, black mantles, infections, thats 12 cause for each weakness black mantle and infection there is one that ocmes with gear that would do more. Thats 27 boosts! That means yup overkill so much you BROKE THE GAME(not literally for those who dont know this expression)

Each one would require a cast of the Corrupting armor spell. Either that or they should strip Cleanse Ward from Myth and give it to Life and Cleanse Charm from Storm and give it to Death. Life and Death are the only 2 Non-Balance schools that don't have Ward and Charm Manipulators.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
ZanRyu011 wrote:
Then they unbalanced the game even more on balance by giving it another all hittter. Every other class has two all hitters 'cept Balance has 3 All hitters now. Maybe in the next world balance will just get a single hit one and all other classes 'cept myth will get multi hitters.

Death has one AoE, Scarecrow, life has one , Forest Lord, fire has two, Meteor Shower, and Fire Dragon, myth has two, Humongofrog, and Earthquake, ice has three, Hailstorm, Ice Giant thing, and Ice Angel, storm has two, Tempest, and Storm Lord, and balance has three, Sandstorm, Power Nova, and Ra. If you haven't noticed Ra doesn't have any secondary effect, like Leviathan and Medusa, and Ra doesn't even do that much damage, and balance has no specific blade or trap.

Quinn Deaththorn - Lv 58 Necromancer

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
PyramidRune wrote:
ZanRyu011 wrote:

Death has one AoE, Scarecrow, life has one , Forest Lord, fire has two, Meteor Shower, and Fire Dragon, myth has two, Humongofrog, and Earthquake, ice has three, Hailstorm, Ice Giant thing, and Ice Angel, storm has two, Tempest, and Storm Lord, and balance has three, Sandstorm, Power Nova, and Ra. If you haven't noticed Ra doesn't have any secondary effect, like Leviathan and Medusa, and Ra doesn't even do that much damage, and balance has no specific blade or trap.

Quinn Deaththorn - Lv 58 Necromancer

Ra has huge damage, at least my balance tends to kill everything with it quite fine including those in PvP. I also disagree that Ra doesnt have any secondary effect as I count not being able to be blocked by anything except gear modifiers and the tower shield of ice school a huge secondary bonus.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Are you kidding me that is an idea that makes no sense. Thats just like saying thats not fair that guy used a tower so i want a card that makes me get rid of the tower. Storm is already the most powerful school in the game and you want something to get rid of the one thing that every school has to deal with. Shields are the only thing that keeps everything balanced. As for the wild bolt that needed to happen storm is already imbalanced and its the strongest school. I am ice myself and thats just pointless we are already the weakest school and pratically have nothing to fight other schools with and the one thing we do get is shields and your just gonna throw away that because you dont want a challenge? I'm sorry if i doing this strongly but that is insane and i compeletly disagree. There would be no point in having shields then. I could see every storm wizard agreeing that there should be spells like this but every other school would probably disagree.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010

If this were to happen, it would only go through ONE shield. If all your looking for is a way to beat balance, get tower shield, it ruins judgment. Anyways judgment doesn't even do a lot of damage compared to storm. A six pip judgment does 600 damage. A Triton (6 pips) does (don't know exact damage) around 800 to 900. A 6 pip robe judgment does 725. A robe Triton does 910-1000.

In pvp my strategy (I'm balance) is weaken them with hydra and blast. to about 50% to 70% less of their original health. then finish off with judgment. I do this because one tower with a max pip judgement makes it a waste of 14 pips ( though now with critical it makes tower useless if you hit critical).

I could care less if they put a pip limit on judgment (if its not ridiculous) but I would pretty much hate it if they lowered the damage.

Storm is not getting weaker. though I do disagree with the change to bolt. I've seen storm hit HUGE with leviathan. And a max pip tempest is basically (correct me if my math is wrong) 1120 to all enemies. with legendary clothes it scores more than 1700 with no boosts (or resist) and critical makes it do over 3,000. so storm doesn't really need a hit everybody spell.

Thank you - Dylan NighShade level 56 balance