Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cuthalla in the grotto

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 08, 2009
It seems to me that Cuthalla is impossible to defeat, me and a dear sweet friend plus two henchmen couldnt defeat him. after an hour my friend left for bed and i ran out of cards. So here it is, has anyone else have this problem up again Cuthalla? after all he heals with a satyr at 7500 almost every round. is this a bug/glitch or what? we cant finish out the game if we cant defeat it.

Community Leader
All you need to do is no blades,no traps and no shields. Only use spells that are over 4 pips, meaning 5 pips or more spells only. Rebirth is ok but not satyr. Also no X spells like judgement, tempest or dryad.

Egglis is just the opposite only use spells under 4 pips, meaning 3 pips and under x spells are good.

Hope this helps.

Hero
May 27, 2009
Check the fansites for many tips on how to beat Cuthalla - he's the one that puts on a tower shield if you use a spell less than four pips. If you hit him with a small spell, he will heal with that RIDICULOUS Satyr (sorry, KI, but you know it's not at all fair for him to have it -- the highest we can heal with Satyr isn't half that). It took me four tries before I learned all his tricks, and I finally succeeded in beating him, with some help from a couple of friendly wizard Samaritans who happened along.

Keep trying, don't worry about buffs, get the minion out of the picture as early as possible, load up on the Satyrs (not dryads, X spells count as lower than four pips) and just keep passing to gain pips.

Hope this helps!

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
From what I understand Cuthalla is a side quest and is not required to advance in the game.

There are guides on wizard101central.com that explain different strategies used to defeat him. Most of what I've read is sound and well thought out.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Armiger
May 10, 2010
ldaring wrote:
It seems to me that Cuthalla is impossible to defeat, me and a dear sweet friend plus two henchmen couldnt defeat him. after an hour my friend left for bed and i ran out of cards. So here it is, has anyone else have this problem up again Cuthalla? after all he heals with a satyr at 7500 almost every round. is this a bug/glitch or what? we cant finish out the game if we cant defeat it.

Cuthalla is a piece of cake. First off, Ghoul, it is a 2 pip death spell. Use it and Cuthalla will shield you instead of him with a 90% tower shield. Get rid of minions as soon as you can. Also, storm does not need to use converts on Cuthalla. Do NOT wand or use any spells under 4th rank, or he will heal for 5000. The only exception is ghoul. Pets that have blades, can be used without triggering his shield. You can use Satyr, Regenerate, and Rebirth as healing. Also, spritely that your pet casts, will work without any reprecutions.

The hardest part, is getting rid of his minions, but once they are gone, Cuthalla is a powerful, but lame duck. But he does drop excellent items, he drops all level 55 spirti wands, some 58 gear, and some necklaces. Lots of loot. So good luck and hope this helps!

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
Adding on to the last post, you also cannot use feints or a ring to enhance damage. You can use the weak spells against the minions, just not on Cuthalla. Star spells are also fine to use.

Satyr is also fine to use, not sure why the other person said you can't use it.

This boss also drops the Spinyfish pet. :-)

Survivor
Nov 29, 2010
i just did this quest in grotto and the ghoul did nothing, at most he used some sort of myth spell that made me miss a turn. Might have just been me, so dont take my word for it

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Since this was originally posted KI moved the cheating Cuthulla to Stormriven. The Cuthulla in the Grotto is now a "normal" boss battle.

Megan

Explorer
Jul 26, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
Since this was originally posted KI moved the cheating Cuthulla to Stormriven. The Cuthulla in the Grotto is now a "normal" boss battle.

Megan

First of all Cuthalla was not moved he has been there the whole time.

Secondly Cuthalla is very easy to kill with or without him cheating you just need to know his rules.

Lastly i hate when a game keeps giving in to complainers and keeps making the game easy like this. There are those of us who like the challenge of "cheating" bosses, but if there is no challenge there will be no more poeple wanting to play the game. Plain and simple.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
boominn wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Secondly Cuthalla is very easy to kill with or without him cheating you just need to know his rules.

Lastly i hate when a game keeps giving in to complainers and keeps making the game easy like this. There are those of us who like the challenge of "cheating" bosses, but if there is no challenge there will be no more poeple wanting to play the game. Plain and simple.

Please read before you respond.

I said they moved THE CHEATING CUTHALLA. They did move the Cuthalla who cheats to the Pylons in Stormriven and left a "normal" version of him in the Grotto. I am correct. I know because I fought the cheating Cuthalla in the Grotto when Celestia first came out. I fought him again recently IN THE GROTTO and he did not cheat.

Megan

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Explorer
Jul 26, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
boominn wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Please read before you respond.

I said they moved THE CHEATING CUTHALLA. They did move the Cuthalla who cheats to the Pylons in Stormriven and left a "normal" version of him in the Grotto. I am correct. I know because I fought the cheating Cuthalla in the Grotto when Celestia first came out. I fought him again recently IN THE GROTTO and he did not cheat.

Megan

I did read it and know for a fact that before they took the cheating away from Cuthalla in the Grotto there was TWO cheating Cuthallas so please get YOUR facts straight. I know this because i was farming Cuthalla in Stormriven and a friend asked me to help him with the one in the Grotto and at the time BOTH cheated.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
Yes the boss can be hard to defeat, I am not complaining about a challange. But I will say it again, What challange is there to a gome where I am hit three times in a row with frost Giant or storm lord, and die, never having a chance to fight or defend. This has no challange at all, just getting killed.
Slip up with some bosses and you can find it better to abandon the fight. Because they go so far off the deep end you can not kill. Like healing with 15,000 off a 4 pip healing spell. So if the fight goes south, so do I, I have abandon more fights probably than anyone in the game simply because I will not stand there and be hit and hit and hit with no chance to respond.
So those wanting more challange, I say, the Game needs to make a place just for you, so you can be hit and hit and hit and die with no chance to respond. Because this seems to be what you call a challange.
Not complaining, just wanting things to be on a Level playing field.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
I got the side quest to fight the big bosses in the Grotto. After 4 attempts, I managed to beat Ulwark on my own.

When I got to Cuthalla, I had a couple friends help me. Now I have farmed the one in Stormriven on my upper wizard, and I didn't remember if the same "rules" applied on this one. Regardless, we did manage to win. I died once cause I was pounded - being the initial target. We did use blades and shields with no problems. I used scarecrow, my friend used power nova, and his friend finished off with skeletal dragon.

Then it was off to Eeglis...

They are not impossible - but definitely a HARD solo. (And I always like to try something solo first.)

Ellie NightWeaver lvl 53 death
Nora RavenSong lvl 60 balance

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
ldaring wrote:

Not to be mean. but i am ice and i defeated him all by myself, no help! i was only level 48. i know you might think this as a lie, but no. And its a glitch

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
I soloed him and had no idea he had strange mechanics. All I did was cast storm sheild, storm prism, blades and triton/kraken, with a couple fairy treasure cards. he was dead after 2 tritons and a kraken. seemed pretty simple.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
babymclizzy wrote:
ldaring wrote:

Not to be mean. but i am ice and i defeated him all by myself, no help! i was only level 48. i know you might think this as a lie, but no. And its a glitch

I'm ice as well, and I ran the Grotto quest yesterday, killing the three bosses with just minions (not henchmen). It was hard, but fairly straightforward. I have not battled the one in Stormriven, and am looking forward to that. Cheating bosses are challenging, but fun! Erin Ice Weaver, Grand Master Artisan :-D

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
darthjt wrote:
ldaring wrote:

Cuthalla is a piece of cake. First off, Ghoul, it is a 2 pip death spell. Use it and Cuthalla will shield you instead of him with a 90% tower shield. Get rid of minions as soon as you can. Also, storm does not need to use converts on Cuthalla. Do NOT wand or use any spells under 4th rank, or he will heal for 5000. The only exception is ghoul. Pets that have blades, can be used without triggering his shield. You can use Satyr, Regenerate, and Rebirth as healing. Also, spritely that your pet casts, will work without any reprecutions.

The hardest part, is getting rid of his minions, but once they are gone, Cuthalla is a powerful, but lame duck. But he does drop excellent items, he drops all level 55 spirti wands, some 58 gear, and some necklaces. Lots of loot. So good luck and hope this helps!

Can you use 4th rank spells?

Explorer
Jun 03, 2009
First This Isn't Main So...This Is How To Defeat Him
You First Don't Cast X Or 4 Or Below Rank Spells.That Is When He Cheats.You Also Don't Want To Ward Or He Might Tower Shield,Or So I've Heard.Just Spam 6,7,Or 8 Rank Spells,Mostly 8,And He Loses.Make Sure You Have Legendary's With You,They Are Powerful,Me Being One.

Michael SpriteShard,Level 60 Legendary Pyromancer,Master Of Fire
Tell Me If You Need Help I Train In Fire,Storm,And Sun,Got All The Spells