Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't text chat privately unless in a group

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
My original question:
I keep wondering why, even though I can use text chat, I can't sent text-chat messages directly to another text-enabled character in the game. I have to send the character/player a group chat invitation, but sometimes these invitations don't go through or are rejected by the player. How can I enable the ability to send a text chat message directly to another text-enabled player? This is really starting to get to me, as some people have asked me for help and I can't tell them why, like, "I can't because I'm in a dungeon," or similar reasons. They probably just think I'm unwilling to help them at all (which is completely not the case, I assure you!) because all I can say is, "Sorry, I can't," or "Sorry, I'm busy," or other generic menu chat messages.
---------------------------------
Another, separate question, but one equally important to me:
One person recently friended me, then immediately messaged me with "Can I have a crowns item? It's my birthday." I was annoyed, because they probably do that to a different person every single day, but what can I do? Anyway, I found nothing in the menu chat that fit the situation besides "No" and "Please stop bothering me" so I took the more polite road and used "No." She replied with a chopped-up, "filter-safe" version of, "Oh, you don't have text chat. Noob dork." Now, I know what I noob is, and I absolutely know what a dork is, so I went to report her and got a message saying that if I report someone for something that isn't against the Terms of Service, I could get banned, so I got scared and clicked cancel. Should I have reported this person? It's too late for this incident, because I didn't make a note of her character's name, but if it happens again, should I report it? The warning on the Report User screen is kind of intimidating, and I figured the forums would be safer. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for making this issue public here...

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Wow. This is kind of hard to explain but let me try to say what I think will help.

First. Make sure you have text chat "enabled".

Log on to the message boards. Then click on "My Accounts".

Enter your "parental control" password.

At this point, I think that your account should have:
Chat - filtered text: ON.
Chat - open chat: ON.

Also, the box to the right side of these options should say "disable".

I think that is what will help with your texting ingame options.

=========================================================

Also, if you are looking for a "menu chat" phrase, there is one in the list that says "I can't. I'm busy fighting right now." (or something close to that). It isn't under the "Sorry" options, but I forget where it is right now.

==========================================================

As far as the "birthday" beggar, it is annoying. But I doubt this is considered a reportable offense. If they curse, or threaten, or harass, then it is reportable. What you did was the best you could do for now. Say "No", and be sure to delete them from your friends list too.

To avoid any further contact with this beggar, at this point I would also just "switch realms". :D

I think we have all run into players like this at one time or another, but I learned early on to choose my friends wisely. And the "remove" button works very well, as does "switching realms".

Continue to play and enjoy the game! Look for some of us "un-birthday" people out there. LOL.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Thank you for your helpful reply!

However, I don't have any option that says Open Chat. I only have Chat - Filtered Chat and Chat - True Friends Code, both of which are turned ON. Do you think this is a bug? It seems like it... How would I go about reporting it?

Thanks also for your advice about the "birthday beggar" as you called that. I'll take that advice if and when this happens again. I appreciate it!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
RebeccaRipple wrote:
Thank you for your helpful reply!

However, I don't have any option that says Open Chat. I only have Chat - Filtered Chat and Chat - True Friends Code, both of which are turned ON. Do you think this is a bug? It seems like it... How would I go about reporting it?

Thanks also for your advice about the "birthday beggar" as you called that. I'll take that advice if and when this happens again. I appreciate it!

When I first opened "My Accounts" page, that's all that I saw too.

But after I typed in my "parental control" password at the top of that same page, then the other options appeared.

If it's still a problem on your account, then you should send a request for Help and Support. There is a tab at the left side of this page for "Help and Support". Be sure to give them your username, and explain the chat problem to them. Good Luck!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I just found the "other option" for menu chat that I was trying to remember.

When you are actually in a battle, under the bubble options on the upper left corner, there is a section called "battle". The menu chat response says "One minute. I'm busy fighting."

Hope to see you in the Spiral. :D

Amber WindBlossom, and
Molly IronHand

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Honeybee313, he/she must have text chat or else he couldnt see what the text chat players were saying. When I was menu chat all I saw was ... from the text chatters. Also he wouldnt bee here on the forums :)

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Igloogirl3 wrote:
Honeybee313, he/she must have text chat or else he couldnt see what the text chat players were saying. When I was menu chat all I saw was ... from the text chatters. Also he wouldnt bee here on the forums :)

She. But anyway, I found it and I set it properly! Thank you, Honeybee313!

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
RebeccaRipple wrote:
My original question:
I keep wondering why, even though I can use text chat, I can't sent text-chat messages directly to another text-enabled character in the game. I have to send the character/player a group chat invitation, but sometimes these invitations don't go through or are rejected by the player. How can I enable the ability to send a text chat message directly to another text-enabled player? This is really starting to get to me, as some people have asked me for help and I can't tell them why, like, "I can't because I'm in a dungeon," or similar reasons. They probably just think I'm unwilling to help them at all (which is completely not the case, I assure you!) because all I can say is, "Sorry, I can't," or "Sorry, I'm busy," or other generic menu chat messages.
One person recently friended me, then immediately messaged me with "Can I have a crowns item? It's my birthday." I was annoyed, because they probably do that to a different person every single day, but what can I do? Anyway, I found nothing in the menu chat that fit the situation besides "No" and "Please stop bothering me" so I took the more polite road and used "No." She replied with a chopped-up, "filter-safe" version of, "Oh, you don't have text chat. Noob dork." Now, I know what I noob is, and I absolutely know what a dork is, so I went to report her and got a message saying that if I report someone for something that isn't against the Terms of Service, I could get banned, so I got scared and clicked cancel. Should I have reported this person? It's too late for this incident, because I didn't make a note of her character's name, but if it happens again, should I report it? The warning on the Report User screen is kind of intimidating, and I figured the forums would be safer. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for making this issue public here...

Answer to the first question.You click on them and you hit text chat. Then you type in what you want to say and hit enter.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
wiler5002 wrote:
RebeccaRipple wrote:
My original question:

Answer to the first question.You click on them and you hit text chat. Then you type in what you want to say and hit enter.

I realized that before I posted the question. The problem was, the Text Chat button was always disabled. But the problem's been fixed, thanks to Honeybee313.