Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are dispels in the game?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Outside of unfair advantages in using the cards in PvP and making some boss fights non-challenges, why are dispel cards even in the game? The only in game opponents we go up against that use dispels seem only to use fire dispels which aren't necessary as they would be tough enough to fight without them. Dispels can be used in places such as Brisk Breeze and other boss fights, but their use in such instances simply make the fights incredibly non-difficult and easy to win and even feels like cheating. In PvP, dispels can be stacked on players to effectively prevent such players from ever being able to do about anything at all and dispels are heavily abused by the side that gets to go first as they know the side that goes last has no way of knowing if such cards will be on them or not.

I don't understand why dispels are in the game, other than to make the game play incredibly not fair, expecially in PvP. If in game opponents used dispels all the time, then I could understand why they are in the game, but in game opponents simply do not tend to use such cards, at least not much at all.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
Dispels are a very good, under-used part of the game which if implemented into you fighting system can be the difference.
They are in the game for a good reason and they can cause elation or frustration in PvP :D

One thing that needs to be changed though is the difficulty using them if you don't start in PvP, maybe hiding them for one turn if you are the side that doesnt start, or put it in so that any dispels are fired before any other spells.

I have often had a good laugh when i use a treasure fire dispel, the same turn my opponment uses full-pips heck hound, effectivly winning the game :D

But also i have suffered pain when just before i fire off the killing triton i also am dispelled.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
just played in practice pvp as storm, when I go first I wand off all dispels, when I go last I lose all pips and the last practice pvp match I played my side went last, I had six storm dispels placed upon me

end result, pvp isn't worth playing as storm as long as dispels are in the game for if you don't get to go first you simply don't get to play without having to go with off school attacks and polymorphs

the strategy I saw working the best was the life players who had storm damage bonus upon them, they simply wait until they have six or so pips and then cast polymorph into storm and hit with tempest the next turn... its rediculous that storm can't play as storm yet every other school can

once again, I see no reason for dispels being in the game

Defender
Apr 03, 2010
to end all of the complaining,

1. give balance a dispell
2. change the dispels do that they dont remove pips

and it is all fixed.. was that so hard?

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
NuclearWar wrote:

with RAw and Judgement, balance hits as hard as anyone and in PvP nobody tends to have the type of time required to blade and trap up enough to make balance attacks any weaker than anyone elses.... it is also amusing that balance school is supposed to have about average damage which means half the schools have more and half of the schools have less, and yet there are dispels and shields readily available against the schools that supposedly do less damage than balance does

your second suggestion of making dispels not remove pips helps a bit, but does not address dispel stacking upon players and dispels stay on players until they are gotten rid of, this can easily take a couple or few turns depending on how cards are dealt and is little different than chain stunning

In game play I don't even like playing with anyone that uses dispels cause it is boring knowing that no one will ever take much damage in the game cause all the large attacks are dispelled away.

I'd really like to see dispels removed from the game.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I guess if dispels didn't rid pips, it would change their usage a lot considering that the players casting them would still lose a pip and the players who are hit with them would still be gaining pips. In game play, the bosses would still be gaining pips too allowing them to hit hard when they do get a cast off. It would still be like chain stunning though, but at least you could heal and do other stuff. The loss of pips from dispels is just a bit too much, and does give the side that goes first way too much of an advantage.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Dispels are set on people then they fizzle and lose all their pips.

Defender
Apr 03, 2010
seasnake wrote:
NuclearWar wrote:

with RAw and Judgement, balance hits as hard as anyone and in PvP nobody tends to have the type of time required to blade and trap up enough to make balance attacks any weaker than anyone elses.... it is also amusing that balance school is supposed to have about average damage which means half the schools have more and half of the schools have less, and yet there are dispels and shields readily available against the schools that supposedly do less damage than balance does

your second suggestion of making dispels not remove pips helps a bit, but does not address dispel stacking upon players and dispels stay on players until they are gotten rid of, this can easily take a couple or few turns depending on how cards are dealt and is little different than chain stunning

In game play I don't even like playing with anyone that uses dispels cause it is boring knowing that no one will ever take much damage in the game cause all the large attacks are dispelled away.

then the warehouse/ briskbreeze would be very hard to complete. And if people continually used dispels on you, they would have no time to attack and would not be gaining pips, while nothing is stopping you from using different school attacks.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009

This was my complain before too!!!

Allow Dispels in Arena but don't remove the Pips, coz the Benefit of the the Dispels only goes to the Wizards who go first in a duel. Hopefully KI will start looking into this issue!!!

My other complain too before was the Beguile! The Benefit of the the Beguile only goes to the Wizards who go first in a duel as well. KI should not allow this Spell to be used by Wizards in the Arena except for Death Wizards (since they do own this Spell). Or KI can allow this Spell to be used in Arena by other Wizards, but change the Pips to 3 or 4 instead of just 2 (Bazaar Beguile) so Wizards will be hesitant to use or abuse it.

Cheers!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Before you ask ridiculous questions like this, remember:

This is an RPG, not a PvP game.

Let me repeat:

WIZARD101 IS A ROLE PLAYING GAME, AND NOT A PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER GAME.

Obviously the only reason why this post was written is because of PvP. The whole "using dispels in boss fights almost seems like cheating" is complete and utter nonsense. Using a spell that was put in the game by KI isn't cheating; it's strategy. Plus, no matter what you say, it doesn't make a boss fight so easy a caveman can do it, and if you think so tell that to the countless wizards struggling to get their Level 58 spell. I know I was one of them until I finally broke down and purchased a dispel. After being defeated every time I tried, I used the dispels and won. Although it sounds like I just proved your point, I had to use all four of my dispels and it only made the battle withstandable, NOT easy. If it angers you so much that people use dispels in PvP, don't play PvP. It's that simple. You seem to complain a lot about PvP; why do you play it?

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
NuclearWar wrote:
seasnake wrote:
NuclearWar wrote:

then the warehouse/ briskbreeze would be very hard to complete. And if people continually used dispels on you, they would have no time to attack and would not be gaining pips, while nothing is stopping you from using different school attacks.

If you can't beat warehouse without the use of dispels you are doing something wrong. Two characters alone can beat warehouse without using dispels at all, and I know this because I have already done it numerous times. Four people going up against warehouse where some of them just aren't that good is harder to win with than two good players acting alone. In any case, dispels aren't needed to win and act as a crutch that ends up preventing many players figuring out how to play well cause they can just kind of cheat over anything that is slightly difficult as if they were in some sort of god mode.

Defender
May 30, 2009
seasnake wrote:
NuclearWar wrote:
seasnake wrote:
NuclearWar wrote:

If you can't beat warehouse without the use of dispels you are doing something wrong. Two characters alone can beat warehouse without using dispels at all, and I know this because I have already done it numerous times. Four people going up against warehouse where some of them just aren't that good is harder to win with than two good players acting alone. In any case, dispels aren't needed to win and act as a crutch that ends up preventing many players figuring out how to play well cause they can just kind of cheat over anything that is slightly difficult as if they were in some sort of god mode.

Maybe the issue here is that YOU need to figure out how to play. It seems that you complain about just about anything that would give another wizard an advantage against you in PvP...dispels, going first, judgment, storm shields...and the list goes on and on and on. You seem to only play PvP but what I don't understand is if it's such a hardship for you to play then why do you? It's not like PvP is required.

If you remove the pip taking from dispel then what exactly is the point??? Aw man, you fizzled but guess what...you get to play the exact same card next round cause YOU STILL HAVE THE PIPS. Dispels would THEN be classified as useless if you take the pip taking away from the spell.

The Warehouse and Briskbreeze both require dispels when trying to defeat them. IF you have beaten it with only two people and used no dispels then please, by all means, TEACH us how you did it because I don't see it being done and frankly I think you're stretching the actual truth about it.

You obviously have allot of difficulty in the arena, and I have suggested before to you to go to one of the fansites and LEARN another way of playing. I have yet to see another wizard have as much trouble in the arena and STILL keep playing in there as I have with you.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Let me repeat:

Obviously the only reason why this post was written is because of PvP. The whole "using dispels in boss fights almost seems like cheating" is complete and utter nonsense. Using a spell that was put in the game by KI isn't cheating; it's strategy. Plus, no matter what you say, it doesn't make a boss fight so easy a caveman can do it, and if you think so tell that to the countless wizards struggling to get their Level 58 spell. I know I was one of them until I finally broke down and purchased a dispel. After being defeated every time I tried, I used the dispels and won. Although it sounds like I just proved your point, I had to use all four of my dispels and it only made the battle withstandable, NOT easy. If it angers you so much that people use dispels in PvP, don't play PvP. It's that simple. You seem to complain a lot about PvP; why do you play it?

game play with dispels in it is horrible as well, the only dispels used against players in game play is quench and I have no idea what makes fire school so strong that they should be consistantly hit with it, other than that players use quench to do their school quests so they don't have any real fight against them or to do towers so again they don't have to worry about much, in actual game play when people use quench all fear of loss or taking any sort of real damage is gone. I favor the removal of quench in terms of actual game play as well as PvP play.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Let me repeat:

I have 7 Grandmasters and I don't rely on using dispel to win in a PvP game (especially on 1 vs 1). I don't why Wizards don't get it. It is so obvious that Dispel will only benefit the Wizards who go first in a duel. If a Wizard who go 1st in a duel has a Dispel placed on him, it would be easy for him to avoid and removed it and not lose his pips, while the other Wizard who goes last in a duel, sometimes or most of the time, he will end up losing his pips - especially with respect to Life Dispel.

We are not really crying about this Dispel! We just want the PvP to be a fair game, fair for the Wizards who go last in a duel. Wizards who go first in a duel already have an advantage, why add more advantages by adding a Dispel?

So I think what KI should do is to allow Dispel in PvP but not remove the pips. Just make a Wizard Fizzle but do not remove the pips, and at least this way, it will not be so much disadvantage for Wizards go last in a duel.