Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gear for Critical Hit Not Working. Or is it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 05, 2009
Went and got me a Level 50 Hat with a +27 Critical Hit for Storm only.

After putting on the hat I went and fought around 20-25 enemies.

I got 1, yes only one critical hit out of all those battles.
I only use storm spells.

I'll use 2-4 attack spells during a battle. Kinda depends how the cards are dealt. So let's take the average here. After 70 or so battles I get ONE critical hit. Really that's it?

Is this what +27 does for you? Or is it not working properly?

If this is what +27 results in and there is no bug then I really don't see a point in using or buying this gear.

Has anyone else had any luck with the Crititcal Hits?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
cmullins wrote:

I only use storm spells.

I'll use 2-4 attack spells during a battle. Kinda depends how the cards are dealt. So let's take the average here. After 70 or so battles I get ONE critical hit. Really that's it?

If this is what +27 results in and there is no bug then I really don't see a point in using or buying this gear.

Ok, so, after a lot of research, and posts, you have a 27 out of 500 possible points for critical hit. So that is like 5.01% chance in hitting a Critical. Keep up the good work, but it is going to take more than that to be successful more often. That is worse odds than Bolt had!

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
well i know it works for polymorphs { moon spells } usually it is the storm one the cat thief maybe you should try to get that

Survivor
May 07, 2010
I've yet to see any player score a critical hit since I've been playing.

The new gear is ridiculous. None of it has any health.

Who decided this? Then decided to have the NPCs use high pip spells consistently and sometimes as an occasional cheat?

In many fights I've had 1000 points taken off my health on the first round. And now I'm supposed to wear no health gear?

Survivor
May 05, 2009
Ok, so, after a lot of research, and posts, you have a 27 out of 500 possible points for critical hit. So that is like 5.01% chance in hitting a Critical. Keep up the good work, but it is going to take more than that to be successful more often. That is worse odds than Bolt had!

I honestly didn't know that the Critical point range went from 0-500.
That explains my pitiful success rate.

By the way where did you spot the "500" info?

I imagine the higher level gear has alot more critical boosts than what I have now, but I doubt I'll ever get close to 500.

My guess is that by the time I get the critical boost up to where it's actually helpful I'll be done or nearly done with Celestia.

Might have to go a different direction with my gear.

I did see a Level 58 Gear list on 101central, but I haven't seen much info on gear from levels 52-56.

If anyone has seen any info on this please post a link.

Still plan on dying and having fun, just trying to figure out how fast I want to die!!!!!!!!

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Looked over the gear tried it out in test NOT buying or using crowns to get it either the stuff stinks it does not give health or do as advertised.
So far KI is a total wash in the new world.
Lets do some math shall we ...The costs there are very high come on 8000 gold for a deck thats nuts. the gear stinks the bosses cheat and its near to impossible to solo in this so called wonderful new place.
I for one am going shopping for my self and a couple dozen friends to find a game we can play pay and enjoy.
Good luck on your sub rates KI this place is going to be your end if its not fixed and done fast. Sorry to say this and I have no clue who or why you set your paying players up like this we pay and playbecause we like the game and the friends we have made however when you start to mess about the way you set players up to fail and fail again when they have skills and know how to play this game. Pity you don't really listen to them.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Eh, I didn't even bother to buy any critical hit gear once I saw how pointless it was, and the equipment drops are just as pointless. I don't think KI really thought Celestia through completely and maybe they rushed the live release a bit... I'm sure they will be tons of adjustments made throughout the year as long as people keep giving feedback.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
dream2dust wrote:
Eh, I didn't even bother to buy any critical hit gear once I saw how pointless it was, and the equipment drops are just as pointless. I don't think KI really thought Celestia through completely and maybe they rushed the live release a bit... I'm sure they will be tons of adjustments made throughout the year as long as people keep giving feedback.

Not picking you out in the topics list, just wanted to give some insight, I have a Lendary Necromancer with 138 critical points, I hit critical every other round, sometimes it don't work but when it does wow, and I still have over 3000 health, you can craft your gear and it won't cost you nothing, that's what i done, just finish the crafting quest on floating land and your good to go. signed Valkoor.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Decker3019 wrote:
dream2dust wrote:

Not picking you out in the topics list, just wanted to give some insight, I have a Lendary Necromancer with 138 critical points, I hit critical every other round, sometimes it don't work but when it does wow, and I still have over 3000 health, you can craft your gear and it won't cost you nothing, that's what i done, just finish the crafting quest on floating land and your good to go. signed Valkoor.

I guess I just do not understand the critical hit stuff. I'm a level 56 Necromancer and the only item that I have equipped with critical hit points is a staff that I received as an award for completing a quest. I do very well in Celestia without the critical stuff and most of the time I just boost up with blades/traps for a one-hit kill anyways. To each his own I suppose.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
cmullins wrote:

I honestly didn't know that the Critical point range went from 0-500.
That explains my pitiful success rate.

By the way where did you spot the "500" info?

I imagine the higher level gear has alot more critical boosts than what I have now, but I doubt I'll ever get close to 500.

I did not see any posts that there is a 500 cap, I simply did the math. If you take the originall 15 points given to you at the start. If you equip it and look at your character stats, it says 3% or 15 points to critical hit. Well, 15 is 3% of 500, so that is where I base that calculation from. So, assuming that math is actually used, we can base our equipment for critical hits at a max of 500.

Now, Block, however, is different. Block is only 400 points. Not sure why the difference, but there is. I posted this information already, but for some reason, it did not get posted.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
I did not see any posts that there is a 500 cap, I simply did the math. If you take the originall 15 points given to you at the start. If you equip it and look at your character stats, it says 3% or 15 points to critical hit. Well, 15 is 3% of 500, so that is where I base that calculation from. So, assuming that math is actually used, we can base our equipment for critical hits at a max of 500.

Now, Block, however, is different. Block is only 400 points. Not sure why the difference, but there is. I posted this information already, but for some reason, it did not get posted.

Thanks for the info.
I didn't notice a percentage for the critical gear only the points.
I'll look again.

I did have some rather interesting and inconsistent results with my +27 Critical Hit Gear for Storm only since I posted last.

My first critical hit came after about 70 battles.

Now the weird part! During the next 30 +/- battles I had 3 critical hits.
I have not changed gear. I have not changed levels. I have not changed anything.

I have no explanation for the improved rate of success.

Thoughts anyone?

Survivor
Oct 07, 2009
me too i got 2 stuff on for level 56 one wand with 30 critical and a robe with 40. In total its 70 critical but when i look how it is 70 it says that the wand only does 6 and the robe only does 8!!!! it lowered it so much and now i never get critical hits. please fix this bug.

Survivor
May 07, 2010
I've changed out some gear for critical stats.

So far I've only had 3 critical attacks and 1 critical block. It is based on sheer chance which means this kind of stat is nothing I can count upon in any fight.

Which leads me back to how ridiculous it is to make people choose between old gear that gives some protection and new gear that has no use except when Lady Luck smiles.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009

I think everyone needs to chill, but that is just me, this game is not bout doing it solo or stats, it is bout working as a team, as for the critical my balance has lvl 50 CL gear she bought in gold, and first time used she healed with critical, and a few rounds later had critical hit. *tested it on the kraken when first bought XD* yet the no health really does stink i grant you. Thanks to a tip in another board, chipping away at the enemies is the only way to go and make sure you have plenty of shields praying you get a good critical hit.

Master Of Balance
May Victory be on your side

Explorer
May 17, 2009
yes i agree, i have about maybe 30 fire critical chance and i only go 2 criticals!!! and i died in most of my battles because of health :x which stinks. i think they should make clothes with critical percent at least 20% and health bigger than the last two lvls, because i had to keep most of my lvl 52 gear when i go to lvl 54. could only find amulet and dagger which wasnt a big boost maybe like 90 health boost. and there isnt much critical ratings on the dagger and atheme.

I AGREE,

Jackthunderrunner lvl 52 (so close to lvl 53)!!!

Explorer
Nov 15, 2008
Try getting more clothes with a higher critical hit. I have a costume that gives me 130% myth chance of getting a critical. Yes, your suit can work, but its rank is unlikely.
Diana Raven
Level 59
Myth

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
kaskait wrote:
I've yet to see any player score a critical hit since I've been playing.

The new gear is ridiculous. None of it has any health.

Who decided this? Then decided to have the NPCs use high pip spells consistently and sometimes as an occasional cheat?

In many fights I've had 1000 points taken off my health on the first round. And now I'm supposed to wear no health gear?

For every piece of gear there is some give and take (except for Grandmaster gear which gives boosts to all normals stats pre-critical attack and boost). With the addition of critical attack and block, they've simply added more options. There is plenty of Celestian gear with large health boosts. You're simply not going to find level 50 gear with critical attack boosts that is great in other areas, including health. Personally, as much as I love critical attacks (and critical heals are rather nice too), buying gear centered around critical attacks tends to be a mistake before you reach the mid 50s. At level 55 you can use the special wands you get in Stormriven Hall that give a 30 boost to critical attack. At level 56 you can buy a helmet that gives a huge boost to critical attack, a large attack boost, and a sizable power pip/accuracy boost. Now, this helmet doesn't come with any health, but you can counter that by picking robes and shoes that focus on health, attack and power pip/accuracy boosts. Remember, critical attacks are a really nice trick to have up your sleeves, but you can't count on when a critical strike will occur (and bosses are highly resistant to critical attacks and will more often than not successfully block them). Because of this, it's better to focus on making your wizard stronger overall in the early 50s. You simply give up too much for a low chance to launch a critical strike otherwise.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, I've beaten Celestia with a wizard from every school and from what I've seen if you have the grandmaster gear, it's best to stick with that more or less for most schools until you get to level 56. If you're willing to give up a little health, you can replace your boots at level 54 I think and get a nice boost to attack power and power pips/accuracy (depending on your school). One or two of the schools have gear at level 54 that it's worth switching over to, but normally you lose too much for what you gain. At level 56, however, you can make huge jumps in attack power (boosts from the low 50s to mid 60s depending on school), power pips/accuracy (again depending on school. here storm can go over 100% accuracy in spell casting), and health. This is where the rings and athames become much better too. You can keep most of your health and mana boosts, and increase your power pip boosts and get boosts to healing spells. If you want to focus on critical attacks more, at level 56 you can give up the health you get from your helmet (most of this can be made up for by increased health in robe and boots) and get a huge boost to critical attack, as well as a boost to attack power and power pips/accuracy that is in line with the other level 56 gear. If you go that way with things, you'll have a helmet that give a critical boost of anywhere from 60-70 for your primary school's spells (depending on school) and a wand that gives a universal 30 boost to critical. That will give you a critical percentage somewhere in the low 20s. Remember, critical spells are a great weapon to add to your arsenal, but they can't always be counted on. As such, it often pays to make sure that you are as strong as possible when casting spells normally. In that way, when your criticals do hit, it's a great bonus, not something you're desperately hoping for in order to survive.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
cmullins wrote:

I only use storm spells.

You should get a storm cat bandit polymorph (in the Lunarium) they hit criticals every other round

Survivor
May 10, 2010
cmullins wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I didn't notice a percentage for the critical gear only the points.
I'll look again.

I did have some rather interesting and inconsistent results with my +27 Critical Hit Gear for Storm only since I posted last.

My first critical hit came after about 70 battles.

Now the weird part! During the next 30 +/- battles I had 3 critical hits.
I have not changed gear. I have not changed levels. I have not changed anything.

I have no explanation for the improved rate of success.

Thoughts anyone?

Exactly. You had about 5.1% chance of scoring a critical. After 100 total battles you made a total of 4 criticals. If you do the math, that's about 4% of all your total battles that you hit a critical. Very similar. Well, I guess that's the theoratical and expirimental probabilities.