Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crowns vs. Subscription - Opinions Please

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
I have seen a lot of debate about subscription vs. crowns, and I have an idea that I believe would provide a happy medium for all involved.

Subscribers feel cheated because many items are crowns only. Why pay monthy premiums and have to pay extra for additional items. This could easily drive the cost to play up to $20 or more per person!

Crowns players feel that subscribers shouldn't be allowed to buy crowns items for gold. They buy crowns, so why shouldn't subscribers?

Why not bring a solution to the problem by having the following change made to the current system:

Crowns players: Crowns players would still have the crowns system in place to allow them to purchase permanent items. The items wouild be available to purchase with crowns only; no gold price would be available to crowns and free to play players.

Subscribers: All crowns items would be available to purchase with in-game gold. Once purchased, these items would then be classified in inventory as a "members only" item. The subscriber could use the item as long as an active subscription is carried on the account. If the subscription expires, the item would remain in possession of the player, but could not be used until a new subscription is purchased.

Anyone else feel like this would be a valid solution?

Historian
May 15, 2009
because some items are extremely expensive and into gold would cost an ungodly amount
and another reason is because they need people to buy crowns items even if they are a paying subscriber

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
Thechaosmagician wrote:
because some items are extremely expensive and into gold would cost an ungodly amount
and another reason is because they need people to buy crowns items even if they are a paying subscriber

Well, think about it like this...

If the subscription rates for everyone was $6.95 per person/month (and you have to think, there are people paying $9.95/month because they do not have the family plan), and KI has only 200,000 subscribers, the monthly income from subscriptions would be $1,390,000 each month. That doesn't include income from crowns sales. If you figure 200,000 players purchasing only $5.00 in crowns each month, the sales would total $1,000,000. Add the subscriptions and crowns total and it is a staggering amount! Running a business is expensive; however, I think the profit magin here is extremely generous.

If the change I suggested were to take place, KI could still make additional income from crowns sales, because crowns purchases would still an option for free to play and crowns players. The crowns to gold price adjustment for subscribers wouldn't have to result in an overly inflated price increase. For example, the current gold cost of my permanent dragon mount was 90,000 gold. I appplied myself, worked hard, and earned the gold to purchase the mount. Is 90,000 gold too much for a mount? Maybe, but my point is, no matter what the gold price is, the item is still obtainable. After all, if the crowns items were prices too low with in-game gold, the item would loose its appeal!

My point is this, subscribers should be allowed to play an unrestricted game without paying additional crowns costs each month. Free to play and crowns players would still have the option to purchase items in their preferred currency also.

~Kimberly DeathWraith

Historian
May 28, 2009
Just get a membership then buy some crowns. You would never have a message pop-up saying you have to use crown to buy anything as a member but you can still buy stuffs with crowns! Isn't that fantastic? (Word from TAC)

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
All my opinion -

The family $6.95/month for two or more is a great deal (I'm a dad).

You can the share accounts; or at least, I brought it up and KI staff read it and did not say anything. You can share any item, as long as it is not "NO TRADE", this includes most GrandMaster equipment and pets.

Then if you want a crown item, take a gander at the gift cards with pets. And in specific, take a look at the pets that come with Dragonblade in December - in my opinion, this is a spell that ANY school can use, and would be a great start for hatching.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
If you need to unlock areas, get the subscription. If you want items crowns only, get crowns. If you need to unlock areas and get crown only items, get both.