Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The "R" Button

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 23, 2010
Why did you guys change the "R" button. Before I used to be able to switch my wiz and hit "R" to talk to my friends again to add my new wiz.

Please please please.... Fix the "R" button again. It was very useful when adding the same friend to another wiz.

Administrator
Young Wizard, please refer to the Update Notes. This was removed intentionally.

While we realize this may have been a useful feature for a handful of Wizards, it was being abused by many as a way to harass players.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Jun 29, 2009
We will all miss the "R" button feature. Here is the option I used before I knew about the "R" feature. I meet a friend outside the girls dorm in an uncrowded realm. Both can just port to the dorm, and then walk outside to find your friend. Hope it helps because it appears that KI is unbending on this change.

Defender
May 30, 2009
I'm not exactly seeing how people are harassing others with this. I can see using the right click method to chat with someone not on your friends list but not the "r". It was easy to get your friends from one wizard to the other with the "r". Eh, I guess we just have to deal with porting and meeting someone.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
I agree with Professor Greyrose on this situation cause it has been used to mistreat others in wizard101 people have pressed this button to chat and even bother the player that they are chatting with. I have had a problem with people chatting with me that were totally rude to me not to mention really annoying. Professor Greyrose is totally in the right mind to disable that and i see that not only the Professor was in the good mind but the rest of the faculty as well. The players of Wizard101 deserve a peaceful life without being hurt or let down by someone. take this in consideration Professor Greyrose and the rest of the faculty are trying to do what is right to help and protect wizards from harming or even causing stress between others the key to wizard101 being safe is taking the right precautions to make that happen and without the help of the faculty no one would feel safe on wizard101. On the Wizard101.com it says #1 game and it is strongly recommended to everyone and the faculty is trying to keep it that way. I believe and maybe the faculty agrees that all players should feel good about themselves and about the game and I believe the faculty is trying to help that be true. Most people who play a game most of the time like Wizard101 really dont think about the persons feelings on the other player and thats another reason to disable that button is because of the Harm and Hurting of feelings that others have. When wizard101 faculty does you might not know that they are trying to protect you from people that can sometimes cause a lot of trouble. People should be greatful for this because they have someone protecting them from harm. When this happens or anything like this happens think of the faculty and how they are protecting you because they are taking all these precautions just for you and other players so that you and others can see wizard101 as a game that gives not takes. Wizard101 isnt taking its giving protection for everyone and sometimes protection is a good thing a lot of people dont really have protection on some other games but here the faculty is trying to make it as safe as it can be. If they being the faculty didnt protect anyone things wouldnt be fun anymore wizards/players would quit and wizard101 would be gone forever so you can take it as Protection for you and in return you get to play wizard101 most people dont get all this good stuff and as people say be greatful for what you got and think of it as at least you are not poor and besides if no one helped anyone be safe no one would be playing or doing anything for that matter. If someone or something makes you feel bad or hurts your feelings try to relax and think about the opportunities that it brings as I say protect to not get others harmed. have you ever seen on the side of a police car the words "protect and serve" that is kinda the motto that wizard101 has protect: save others from harm. serve:Help people progress in their lives and learn to trust by any means nessassary by even banning the use of the R button. See they just tryin to help you feel like someone cares. Sometimes i wish people in general could be as kind as the faculty of wizard101 they are giving you a great chance of living a full life that you really and believe me wish you had but that cant happen with people being mean and very rude on wizard101. I got to say faculty you are the best keep up the good work and keep protecting the wizard players from harm of others and keep balance to the game. I hope whoever is reading this gets the point I am handing out my point is: What Wizard101 is doing is making it safe for everyone that signs up, logs on and plays

Survivor
Sep 29, 2009
it is so sad that this was misused because there has to be a middle ground. it makes it so hard to talk to your friends when you have more than one wiz now. when you have to quit because you get pulled you lose your last person talked to also so the r doesn't work.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
While I can appreciate the effort, it does not fix the problem of unwanted people being able to private text you. Using the "r" button only allows you to speak to someone you have already been talking to. You have to right click on the person's name in the chat box to talk to someone not on your friends list. I can still talk to people that are not on my friends list in this manner. I have never been able to talk to non friends privately by using the "r" button, unless they had talked to me first in private.

Please reinstate the "r" button, and disable the right click feature on the persons name, that is the culprit of being able to private text just anyone, and still can even now.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:

While we realize this may have been a useful feature for a handful of Wizards, it was being abused by many as a way to harass players.

Players are constantly being harassed in the game one way or another. Some people are just mean, others just don't know how to behave better; it is a sad state of affairs but it cannot be helped.

I have had unpleasant encounters with other players but never through the "R" button. Since the feature have been removed, I still had people whispering me saying bad things (not sure how that is possible when they not on my friends list). I just ignore them. if it happened in real life i could do one of two things: react with violence or simply ignore them and walk away.

Now, I personally find the "R" button to be helpful. I have a few really good people that i met in game and we all have six wizards so naturally we want to add all our wizards on each wizard that we have. It becomes frustrating when you have to keep logging off and on and then meeting in some realm and looking for the person just so you could add them when all you had to do was whisper the person and the log off and whisper you no the new wiz and you add them.

Not sure what removing the "R" button feature meant since people can still send you whispers even if they not on your list. So, I'm confused here. Put back the "R" button feature but MAKE IT SO THAT YOU CAN TURN IT ON OR OFF. This a very good idea if I migth say so myself.

Ok, so I keep getting bombarded with friend requests as I run through the commons; know what I did? I turn off the friend request button. People realized I have friend request off so they hit me up on group requests; guess what? i turned that off too. so, now if anyone wishes to add me they simply have to ask me and I'll allow them to or I'll just add them. problem solved right there. Why could this not have allpied ot the "R" button feature? Smae thing for teleporting, if you don't want people teleporting to you, you simply turn of teleport.

maybe instead of removing the "R" button feature you should have introduced the block feature. This means whe nyou blocked a person, they can't see what you write and you can't see what they write, they can't send you any form of request or whisper or anything. The report button doesn't really make any sense because you simply can't block thousands of people that have been reported for one thing or another so instead of report, why not block? someone getting onyour nerves, you just blocked them and go on about your business.

Put back our "R" button and allow is to block rude people. i don't even know why you don't have a block feature anyways. I'm sure you knew that there would be rude people on there, trying to harass everybody, it's way easier to just block them than to report them.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010

I can whisper people not on my friends list by right clicking their name in the chat box. I respectfully submit to Professor Greyrose and the staff of KI they disabled the wrong button.

The "r" button only worked if someone whispered to you first. please re-instate the "r" and disable the right click.

Megan

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
News flash Wizard101 faculty!

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong with the "R" button feature being removed but I just couldn't put my finger on it.... then viola! Mimitoo and Firefan02 said it in a nutshell.

What was the purpose of the "R" button? The "R" button allowed you to "reply to a last direct text message". If someone sent you a text message; you simply hit "R" as a short cut way to respond to them instead of opening your friend list and clicking on the person then clicking text /menu chat.

Could someone please explain to me how this was being used to harass people? If I log on right now and I press "R" all that happens is that my text box opens and there is a "R" in the text line.

So the only way that "R" could be used to harass people is if YOU sent the person a message in the first place and then THEY hit "R" to respond to you. Therefore, YOU would have been the one to make the first contact.

With the "R" button removed can I harass someone? Could I whisper someone constantly and just annoy the day lights out of them? Sure ,I can! How might I be able to do that with this notorious "R" feature gone?! Well, here is how. I simply say "Hi", now automatically everyone will say "Hi" too. Then I click on whomever name I want to in the chat box and their name will appear in my text line and viola! i can whisper them and pretty much say anything I want.

I have had people NOT on my friend list send me whispers and am quite certain that they did NOT use the "R" button because it has been removed!

KingsIsle Entertainment you have removed the wrong feature that allowed people to be harass by others. It was not the "R" button. look back at what you had as the purpose of the "R" button and you can clearly see that the "R" button was NOT at fault. You simply can't hit "R" to send someone a text message. They would have had to send you a message first; that's the only way the "R" button works.

The thing that you SHOULD have done is remove the feature that allows people to send you whispers even if they are not on your friend's list. This was not done and so people can still pretty much whisper you and harass you.

Do the right thing and put back the "R" button and make it so that people can't just click on your name and send you a message. You have not yet fixed the problem, it is still hanging over us like a sword of Demoncles!

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
sorry some of you miss the "R" button feature- but yes people did abuse it- and i myself had one person who wasn't a friend kept harassing me with it- and I for one am glad it is gone. I don't have time for losers who just harass people in pvp because they lose.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
sorry some of you miss the "R" button feature- but yes people did abuse it- and i myself had one person who wasn't a friend kept harassing me with it- and I for one am glad it is gone. I don't have time for losers who just harass people in pvp because they lose.

I hate to tell you this but what you describe can and will still happen. All you need to do is say ONE thing out loud. Now all I have to do is right click your name and viola, YOU get a whisper from me a total stranger. KI removed the wrong button. Go try this in game.

How the R button worked was my friend Ryan would whisper me. Then no matter what character I was on I could hit R and whisper him back and add him to a new characters friend list. Now I can still respond when on a character with him on my list. But, I can't use the short cut way of adding him. We have to physically meet.

See the difference, You did NOTHING expect speak out loud. I could and still can whisper you. Harassment still lives on through the right click. HE talked to me in a whisper FIRST, then I responded. A convenient way of adding old friends to a new character is gone.

Megan

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
:?

I hate to break it to you, but KingsIsle will have to do all of the following to actually stop harrasment.

- Remove the "Friend" system; it lets people port to others incessantly.

-Totally remove the ability to Chat; it lets people say mean or annoying things to others.

- Create a system in which only one player can be in a battle at one time; otherwise, people can jump in and bring in more monsters, do so and then port out, and use other people's Traps and Prisms.

- Reprogram the game so that other players can't be seen; certain actions can be annoying to others, and flaunting of superior gear, Badges, and Level can occur.

Get the idea? The point is, removing harrasment from an RPG is IMPOSSIBLE, particularly an MMORPG such as Wizard101. Removing the "R" feature was not a good idea, as all it did was let one talk to whoever they last spoke to; geez, is it so hard to quickly log off and return?

Explorer
Apr 20, 2009

Greyrose you should fix it so that wizards cant right click your name on the chat bar and talk to you especially non friends. I hate it when i go to the commons and low levels are texting me silly things just to annoy me . Please fix it. I would really appreciate it .

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
An alternate function would be to "Friend Account" - where you instantly befriend ALL wizards on a person's account, and vice versa, without having the hassle of trying to find each other to add a new character to the friends list.

At least the Ignore function works now; which does wonders on those who won't stop yapping away with R because you once whispered them and asked them to stop getting into battles in Celestia while they're still under level 10.