Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

'Polluted' pets from hatching

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 02, 2010
As you may be aware, websites exist that track what talents a certain pet has, whether dropped, bought with Crowns or gold, or a Level 48, and the talents that pop up in each slot do not change, only which four of the ten talents the pet will get as it is trained.

I also have physical evidence that for the same pet, in this case a Storm Cat, which talent a pet develops first can be different. I assume that applies to other talents.

Fine. It is what it is.

Now for hatching. As you may know, two level 48 pets can create hybrids. But consider the cases of one or no level 48 pets. In this case, when a hatch is made, the pet received will be one or the other pet, not a hybrid. For example, my Satyr (level 48 pet) hatched with a Jade Oni (from Crowns, but can be dropped). I happened to get a Jade Oni - I could have gotten another Satyr.

The pet is still listed as Jade Oni in my back pack, and when someone scans my character, it says Jade Oni, and it still gives the same item card. But it is not a 'pure' Jade Oni because of its talents. In my case, it so happens it got Spritely. This is because the talents are a mix of the parents. Now if you were Balance this pet in general would be good to hatch with, because you get a chance of a pet that also heals you, but one small problem - if you are a Balance person looking to hatch with a Jade Oni for certain Balance Talents, even if they are latent, you instead get a chance of some Life talents. Its a 'polluted' Jade Oni, a mongrel, a mutt.

I have seen a similar thing for my Death character, someone had an Ianthine Spectre from a hatch. The person was honest and pointed it out. But others might not be so honest or might not understand the details of pet talents; I am pretty sure I don't get it all either. In the Spectre's case, I don't want its Animate card, I want its talents. (Back to the Plaza of Conquests!)

The answer, fellow wizards and witches, is we need a way to tell the pure breeds from the mutts.

Presently, the only way I know is to look at the pedigree number, if it does not match what a pure one is, you know its a mutt. But that requires you to refer to those websites that tell you what a pure one's pedigree is, or have an incredible amount of in-game experience.

So we need a way.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
What an amazing, negative slant to Hatching!!

The primary design of the Hatching system is to mix Talents and Derby skills.
That's what the cost of the Hatch is based on.
So, yes, if you Hatch cross-school pets, you are very likely to have a mix of Talents from both schools.
That is, indeed, a fundamental aspect of Hatching that everyone should be aware of.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
All that matters is what talents are dominant in the pet when you're hatching.

Example: I have a Woodland Haunter, a Satyr/Wraith Hybrid. It came from a line of Woodland Haunters/Satyrs that had death and life talents. Some of them had a majority of death talents and would be great for a death wizard.

To reduce the death functions, but keep its 'look'. I begin to hatch with 'pure' satyrs.

Within a generation or so, this original mixed Woodland Haunter has produced others that only display Life Talents. It is by its definition and existence is a mutt, yet for all purposes, it is as much a life pet as its pure breed Satyr parents and has better life talents than any of them.

It is true, that somewhere it still has the potential to create a hatch that will have a death talent. However the dominant talents, the ones most likely to manifest are its life talents when hatched with another life pet.

If I was looking for a life pet to hatch with, I personally would rather take my chances with a mixed pet that has 3 strong life talents present, than a pure breed that only has one or two.

The only solution and the only way to know for sure whether a pet is pure or not, would be to hatch with yourself, using pets that you know are 'pure'. Which is what I would do, if I was concerned about keeping a pure blood line. I'm not, all I care about are talents that help my wizard and I don't care where they come from.

I think as long as the talents you want are dominant in the pet and to that school and you hatch within the same school; you should end up with that talent being the dominant one; regardless of it being a mixed pet or a pure breed...but yes you do have a chance of receiving another school's talent, if you hatch with mixed pet.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
If you're worried about getting ripped off by hatching with a mixed pet when you thought it was a purebred, then don't mix with strangers.

The simplest solution is to always know and trust the person you hatch with, and get a complete family history on the other pet before agreeing. If your partner doesn't know their pet's full history, or you think they could be lying, then just walk away.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Wow, did not mean it to be a negative slant on hatching, but I guess it came out like that.

I was trying to put it through the eyes of someone trying to make a better school-specific pet and not knowing that mutts are out there. Again, lets take the Jade Oni. If you were Balance and really wanted as many Balance Talents, my Oni would not cut it. But if you wanted a mix of talents, and especially one with Spritely, oh baby!

So I guess its hatcher beware, you better take a look before you click yes.

I am at a crossroads of what to do with my Life character and this Spritely business of his Satyr; do I train up his son, the Earth Elemental hybrid and risk Spritely will show up again, or, do try get a new high pedigree dropped pet, something like the Life Minotaur or the Seraph as a fresh beginning.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, did not mean it to be a negative slant on hatching, but I guess it came out like that.

I was trying to put it through the eyes of someone trying to make a better school-specific pet and not knowing that mutts are out there.
Again, the primary point of Hatching is to mix Talents and Derby skills. All Hatched pets are "mutts".

Again, lets take the Jade Oni. If you were Balance and really wanted as many Balance Talents, my Oni would not cut it. But if you wanted a mix of talents, and especially one with Spritely, oh baby!
It's always best to Hatch with pets that have manifested the Talents you like. If I wanted as many Balance Talents as possible, I would only Hatch with a pets that have manifested Balance Talents.
Your Jade Oni might not cut it, but someone else's Jade Oni might, if it has manifested the Balance Talents I want.

If I want Balance Talents, I will check to see what Talents your pet has manifested when we enter the Hatch sigil.

So I guess its hatcher beware, you better take a look before you click yes.
I'm still not sure why you phrase it as a negative "beware".
Yes. The primary purpose of Hatching is to obtain the Talents and Derby skills you like. (Again, that is what determines the cost).
So, yes, people should check to see that the pets they Hatch with have manifested the Talents they like.
Be vigilant.

I am at a crossroads of what to do with my Life character and this Spritely business of his Satyr; do I train up his son, the Earth Elemental hybrid and risk Spritely will show up again, or, do try get a new high pedigree dropped pet, something like the Life Minotaur or the Seraph as a fresh beginning.
Spritely is a highly desirable Talent. Saves the day in many battles. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have it. But...
If it manifested in the parent, it is very likely to manifest in the son.

The pet type alone does not give enough info for me to weigh in on a strategy. Which Talents are you hoping to manifest?

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
First off, I admire you depth of knowledge of pets, and have noticed your comments on other topics. I am trying to assimilate this information as much as possible.

Spritely is a highly desirable Talent. Saves the day in many battles. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have it.

That is a very good question! The answer is, because the Satyr's Sprite will consume a previously cast Guiding Light.

So my Level 48 pet has the ability to return my Level 48 spell to its original value. Ain't that wonderful? And its like that paper clip of MS Word 2000, it happens when you least expect it. Keep in mind, my Lifer has gotten a heal over 2000; that's more than what Level 50 GrandMaster Storm even has! I'm not sure if it was because it was in Halloween Tower. I saw some weird stuff up in the top of the tree, like the stuff you see in Briskbreeze or Warehouse. I thought it said "Heals less, hits more".

Yes, I now understand that all children of this pet may have it. I learned it the hard way too.

I have been told that all Satyrs get Spritely talent at Ancient. I have my doubts. Mine did, but that is a sample size of one. I have not raised any of the offspring that are Satyr to Ancient for this reason; I equip a 'Baby' and just live with that it does not give a pip boost like the original. The Jade Oni will go to Ancient, then given to my noob Storm character that can equip it. The original Level 48 Satyr will go to my daughter's Life character, until such time she realizes it ruins Guiding Light; she's not that far in the game.

So what is it that I seek for my Life character? Talents that boost Life hits, or may-cast Life Blade, or may-cast Life trap. Or maybe casts a shield.

So far, my options are, try to get a new pet, maybe from Celestia pet, a Life Minotaur or Seraph from Stoker, or try raising up a child in the hopes that it passes on something good.

Both my Life and Death characters got a Storm Cat from Herkir, the Death's has Storm Aura, that has potential. I thought about crossing the Satyr with it and hopefully get a Storm Cat that heals and shields for my Death. Doesn't do any good for the Life though.

Maybe a new pet talent would be may cast Guiding Light. Now that would be very useful!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:
First off, I admire you depth of knowledge of pets

Aw.Thanks!!

The answer is, because the Satyr's Sprite will consume a previously cast Guiding Light.
That is a VERY good answer. I know a PVP that have put Spritely on various pets - most commonly Ninja Pig. But, they are mostly Storm, a few Ice, and some Death. They aren't using Guiding Light and are able to work around the the spells that might break when Spritely casts. My main is Myth. but I don't use Guiding Light or anything that is affected by Spritely.

I thought it said "Heals less, hits more".
Probably! The mobs are teasing us now with statements like that.

Yes, I now understand that all children of this pet may have it. I learned it the hard way too.
Ooops.

I have been told that all Satyrs get Spritely talent at Ancient. I have my doubts.
I don't think that's true.
I'll have to keep an ear out for that one.

So what is it that I seek for my Life character? Talents that boost Life hits, or may-cast Life Blade, or may-cast Life trap. Or maybe casts a shield.
I suggest you start with Life Minotaur.
The active/passive Talent Ratio is 5:5.
Mana Gift and May Cast Life Shield in addition to accuracy, damage and resist.

The Celestia pets have a higher ratio 8:2 at worst.
The Life pet available is Sea Turtle. The ratio is 9:1.
Very likely to manifest all active Talents.
Mana Gift and Health Gift are two - dunno how you feel about those.
Problem is that it, of course, has Spritely in its petnome.
(Life Minotaur does not.)
I actually have no idea what the Seraph has. We haven't mapped that one yet. LOL

I thought about crossing the Satyr with it and hopefully get a Storm Cat that heals and shields for my Death. Doesn't do any good for the Life though.
Yes. That sounds good.
Spinyfish is Celestia's Storm pet.
It has all active Talents.
Unfortunately, two of them are StormTrap and StormBlade and those are still bugged and never cast.
It does have pips, accuracy, damage, resist and Spritely.

Maybe a new pet talent would be may cast Guiding Light. Now that would be very useful!
Haha. It's possible. We did find at least one new May Cast - PierceTrain- and it does actually cast.

Good Luck!

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Seraph - tried to get it. Never again. I might have lost an in game friend over that. What gets me is how did I ever get to the end of KP before level 48 with a Life and a Death?

Life Minotaur - LOL I was there last night, no dice. He goes down pretty quick if the Life has his Death wand and packs a whole bunch of prism and the Death has Poison. I took out Rebirth and Guiding Light and used the Satyr with Spritely. LOL busted, but hey it works, none of them cast Life shield. Life monsters always give me the hardest time. If anyone reading this is ever considering using two accounts at one time, do NOT get opposite schools.

You know, I really wonder how those solo Lifer's deal with Celestia. What a big pain in the rear, what do you set your hits vs. heals to? Sure as taxes somebody is going to join a fight and EXPECT you to heal them cuz your Life. Ever occur that the poor Lifer has a heck of time with no group hit, might have set the deck to just enough heal so he/she can get enough other cards to hit? There is no amulet that provides another Life Trap, only Treasure Card versions.

Every once in a while I take each of my characters solo just to make sure I can still do it, and man, was the Lifer time consuming on Dragonspyre.

The Celestia pets have a higher ratio 8:2 at worst.
The Life pet available is Sea Turtle. The ratio is 9:1.

OK going to check that out, but that is Crowns, right? I'm a bit confused, when I look at the pets I see nothing that tells me what school the pet is. We talking some serious coinage for some bits in a database in Texas, I would like to know what I am getting before I buy it (not that its your fault).

Know anything about the gold bought Starfish? I assume there are boss pet drops through out Celestia to be discovered.

Hey, something to warn you about - thinking about passing a pet between characters on the same account? Watch out with those Level 48 pets, they cannot be equipped by another school! I tried to lend my daughter my Wraith with its +5% power pips to get past McTavish, no dice! Another positive aspect for dropped pets.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:
If anyone reading this is ever considering using two accounts at one time, do NOT get opposite schools.

Seems like it should be fine as long as the Death is in the lead circle and Life is supporting. Also want to make sure the Death is in alone for the first round so the Life doesn't have aggro.

You know, I really wonder how those solo Lifer's deal with Celestia. What a big pain in the rear, what do you set your hits vs. heals to?
Depends on your secondary school(s). My main is Myth and Ice, but actually is mostly Life and Storm in Celestia (via Moon).

Sure as taxes somebody is going to join a fight and EXPECT you to heal them cuz your Life. Ever occur that the poor Lifer has a heck of time with no group hit, might have set the deck to just enough heal so he/she can get enough other cards to hit?
Celestia is difficult to solo, so there is a lot more pick-up grouping.
Again, depends on your secondary schools how well you will do solo.
Bandit is a great Moon morph since it gives you Tempest.

I'm not sure why you are avoiding groups in Celestia.
I typically join groups there and would expect a Life to be able to keep himself alive, at least, while I stack for hits.
Sounds like you might need Reshuffle in your deck - it is always in my solo deck.

Every once in a while I take each of my characters solo just to make sure I can still do it, and man, was the Lifer time consuming on Dragonspyre.
Same for me with Myth. And still is when I solo bosses in Celestia.

OK going to check that out, but that is Crowns, right? I assume there are boss pet drops through out Celestia to be discovered.
Yes. Crowns only. But Sea Turtle is also dropped by Tempus Stormfist.
Sea Dragon is dropped by Atraeus.

I'm a bit confused, when I look at the pets I see nothing that tells me what school the pet is.
Right. I found out the hard way - by purchasing them.

I would like to know what I am getting before I buy it (not that its your fault).
Yes. That is what the Test Realm is for. LOL

Know anything about the gold bought Starfish?
It is Ice school. Has Blizzard as a Gives Card Talent - it's an AoE spell which could be helpful with the right gear. Might try packing Criticals.
Spell-Proof, Pips, Health and Mana Gift... and Spritely, of course.
Also has Iceblade and Icetrap - which will never cast.

Watch out with those Level 48 pets, they cannot be equipped by another school!
LOL. That's right.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Sounds like you might need Reshuffle in your deck - it is always in my solo deck.

I trained that, used it maybe three times, and never use it again. My opinion of it is, poof, there goes four yellow pips. (The treasure card version is three pips, but I never used that either). I felt like its taking up space in the deck and almost FORCING me to use it, because once it showed up, I was afraid to discard it, leaving once less slot a useful card might show up in. Seems like laying out a good deck to begin with works much better, and use saved Enchanted treasure cards. Pick the spells you can use "most of the time", put a bunch of each in, and let the rest go. That way, for the spells you can use "most of the time", you don't have to be so afraid of discarding one, because another might show up. Then my basic rule is no more than three types of treasure cards in the treasure card area.

Maybe Balance has better luck with that spell, but my Balance friend just uses Enchanted cards a well.

I read its very useful for PvP. I have my reasons for not doing PvP, like the first time I tried it someone must have used an traded enchanted treasure card from another school on me. Then being one of my characters is Life, and a battle with a Life takes forever, just drives down the interest. And Crowns equipment giving an advantage that I don't want to up the ante. I'd rather goof around with pets!

LOL my Life bought the Starfish, and yes its Ice! But like I said to my in-game friend, a hatch is over 40,000, and that pet is what about 12000, its costs about one fourth of a hatch, why not?

Met someone else that had some hints on the Life Minotaur, I believe it was kill the boss first and let him come back.

At some point I am going to make a Wraith with Spritely and storm shielding, but I have to get my in-game friend a Jade Oni with Spritely first, many small issues need to be dealt with, chief of them, getting my daughter's consent to use her Balance character, so we get either another Oni or a Hydra out of it. That Oni will have like 1/8 of its original Myth spells. Super polluted! Its great grandpa will disown him or her!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:

I trained that, used it maybe three times, and never use it again. My opinion of it is, poof, there goes four yellow pips. I felt like its taking up space in the deck and almost FORCING me to use it, because once it showed up, I was afraid to discard it, leaving once less slot a useful card might show up in.

I use short decks, with two Reshuffles in it.
1 card out of 7 showing is not an issue and I don't have to worry about discarding specifically because I can reshuffle as necessary.
More importantly, I have the cards I need popping up quickly and can recycle if something unexpected happens, like people dropping into the circle

I read its very useful for PvP.
Ha.
I don't PvP, either.

LOL my Life bought the Starfish, and yes its Ice! But, it costs about one fourth of a hatch, why not?
Yep.
Just a matter of whether you think Ice-Giver, Ice-Shot, Ice-Trap and SnowBorn would be useful.

Super polluted! Its great grandpa will disown him or her!
LOL

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I use short decks, with two Reshuffles in it.
1 card out of 7 showing is not an issue and I don't have to worry about discarding specifically because I can reshuffle as necessary.
More importantly, I have the cards I need popping up quickly and can recycle if something unexpected happens, like people dropping into the circle

That is so wild I'm going to have to try that and see how it works, especially if I want to retrain. Not tonight though, and not before I finish the Grizzleheim Watchtower Hall.

Just a matter of whether you think Ice-Giver, Ice-Shot, Ice-Trap and SnowBorn would be useful.

Hmm, maybe I should have spent more time on the Test Realm trying out these new Celestia pets. I thought they were going to have some new Celestia Talents, or something like a Defender Pig with global talents.

Actually, that is pretty bad news for my Lifer. How do I get a pet with high pedigree and Life talents that does not have Spritely and without using Crowns? The Life Minotaur is just OK, the Seraph from Stoker is way too time consuming to get. And why on earth did I sell the Life Banshee on the Life account? And why did I sell the Life Scarab on the Death account?

The few times I met someone with a 57 Pixie they could not be bothered, and by extension I don't even bother asking some one with a Seraph, I already know what the two possibly replies would be.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:

That is so wild I'm going to have to try that and see how it works, especially if I want to retrain. Not tonight though, and not before I finish the Grizzleheim Watchtower Hall.

*smile*

I thought they were going to have some new Celestia Talents.
There are some new Talents - mostly Give Cards, like the Sea Turtle's Blade of Life.
Sea Turtle also has Spell-Proof rather than Life-Proof.
But, it does have Spritely so there is a bit of a risk.
I got my Sea Turtle from a boss drop.

Actually, that is pretty bad news for my Lifer. How do I get a pet with high pedigree and Life talents that does not have Spritely and without using Crowns?
Hatch with someone who has a pet with the Talents you like.

The few times I met someone with a 57 Pixie they could not be bothered, and by extension I don't even bother asking some one with a Seraph, I already know what the two possibly replies would be.
I don't think the Life Talents will help much in Celestia.
Celestia is more about Crits.
Train Vengeance and/or Amplify.

What is your secondary school?

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
i dont see what the big deal is with "polluted" pets sometimes this CAN be GOOD THING!

yesterday i hached my ice hound with a sea dragon and got another ice hound(i was kinda hoping for the sea dragon but o well), when i first saw the new egg's pedigree it was 61 and the so called "Normal" pedigree was 59! so my new pet is kinda better than a original! :D plus the sea dragon i hatched it with had spritely and it could give a tower shield spell! and if that wasnt enough it has 3 epic talents!

the original icehound i used to hach was not pure i dont think due to it having death proof, but the result of the hatch was AWESOME! "polluted" pets CANT BE ALL THAT BAD!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Right. It's not "pollution".
Talents and Derby skills mixing is the primary purpose of Hatching.
Precisely so we can transfer the traits we like to the types of pets we like.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Now that we're on the subject of pets, I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. I'm a pvp participant, and of course I want the best gear, to get the best chance of winning I can. So with a friend, I mixed my Sturdy Dragon (Gives Dryad spell, 50 Health, 1% Powerpip chance), and mixed it with my friends Piggle which I forget the title of. The piggles stats are 7% resistance, 1% fire resistance, and a Dragonblade (30% balance blade). My friend said that the stats in both pets were manifested, and also said hatching them would get stats from both. So we hatched our pets together, and I got a Sturdy Dragon (No surprise). It starts with a dryad spell from the start. I started training it, and got it to teenager, which got 1% powerpip chance. I am continuing to train it, but rumors I have heard make me wonder. Here's the question: Is this sturdy dragon only gonna get the stats of my original dragon, and none of the piggle's resistance?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
myusername1234 wrote:
Is this sturdy dragon only gonna get the stats of my original dragon, and none of the piggle's resistance?

Offspring always inherit 5 Talents from each parent.
Typically, the manifest order alternates from each parent.

Whether or not the resists actually manifest is luck.
But the traits that manifested in the parents have the greatest chance of manifesting in the offspring, so the odds are pretty high.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I think my original point about polluting is being missed.

Owning a mixed (polluted) pet is not a big deal, and yes it can be better.

For most first generation pets, you can go check other websites to see what is in each talent slot. As far as I know the 10 talents do not change for first generation pets. So any first generation Satyr would have Pip O' Plenty in the top left slot. Some slot further down is Spritely. Whether the Satyr will manifest it when trained is another issue. But its in there.

I believe many people think that if a first generation Satyr does not have Spritely, oh, forget it , don't hatch with it. WRONG! It still has it in its genes, it just did not manifest. Same thing with a first generation Storm Cat; it has a Storm Shield talent, but it might not manifest it. Just so happens both my Life and my Death have Storm kitties, one has may cast storm shield, the other does not. But both have in in their genes and would be a good thing to have. (Although I am now thinking Spell-Proof is the way to go, maybe time to go back to that dude in the Labyrinth for a Pale Maiden).

A few pets cannot be researched, for instance, many of the gift card pets, and the pets really hard to get like Seraph from Stoker. I assume the Celestia pets will get documented in do time.

Now, for mixed pet, you only have a rough idea what is in each slot, and you can find out for sure only 4/10 of the slots, and only by training to Epic. The rest of the slots are wild donkey guesses based upon the parents.

Now, say you want to hatch with something to get Spritely, and should you hatch with someone else's second or third generation Satyr. Does it have Spritely in there? Only way for sure to get HALF of a chance of getting Spritely is if that pet has it manifested and you can verify its existence. But with a first generation, you know you are getting half of a chance.

Get it?

So that is why I say, we need a way to see at least what generation a pet is, other than its pedigree does not match what is seen on other websites.

And I don't know about other Lifers, but it kind of gets me miffed that the Sea Dragon has Spritely.

I am debating about typing up a tirade about the whole thing, how Life gets the short end of the stick -
- its 48 pet has the lowest # of pips therefore easiest for other schools to use. Come on, what is a Lifer gonna use a 6 pip Wraith card for, potentially wiping out 6 yellow pips, except in desperation. Maybe the 5 pip Stormzilla if the monster has a Life shield.
- the whole issue about Spritely consuming Guiding Light and reducing the effectiveness of Life's level 48 spell.
- The other school 48 pets have the potential for zero pip may cast spells. Only the shields could be used by other schools to a great extent. The blades and traps (if they worked) are really best for the original school. But Life's 48 level pet may get a one pip spell that any other school can use. And now, and now, just cough up some Crowns and bingo you get a 4/10 chance for Spritely!

If anything, the may cast spell should be Guiding Light. Then it makes it much more Life-specific and in line with the way other pets work, casting zero pip blades, traps, or shields.

Just a note - do not equip a pet with Spritely on the last level of Warehouse.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
I would like to put a negative slant on the whole hatching process. I have had nothing but failure and total disappointment with the system so far. my latest, and probably last attempt to get a cool pet I mixed my tempest with my son's new fierce hound. we both recived new hounds, without a single talent higher than rare. the hound had feinting spell and spritely, the tempest had death proof, health gift, pip o plenty and one other selfish talent in the ultra rare slot. that is 5 manifested ultra rare talents between the two, but not a single ultra rare slot in either of the pets. I keep trying to like the pet system, but it is so badly designed I find it impossible. I have spent over a million gold on pets, and while I have gotten some decent pets, none of them are as good as the damp demon I got straight off the card. Boredom, monotony and failure are not what I want out of a game.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:
I think my original point about polluting is being missed.

I don't think anything is being missed, you are just giving a negative to slant to a positive feature - and it happens to be the primary purpose of Hatching.

Owning a mixed (polluted) pet is not a big deal, and yes it can be better.

I assume the Celestia pets will get documented in do time.
Yes, most of the Celestia pets are completely mapped already.

Now, say you want to hatch with something to get Spritely, and should you hatch with someone else's second or third generation Satyr. Does it have Spritely in there? Only way for sure to get HALF of a chance of getting Spritely is if that pet has it manifested and you can verify its existence. But with a first generation, you know you are getting half of a chance.
It doesn't matter.
Always Hatch with pets that have manifested the Talents you like.
The manifested Talents are weighted to have a greater chance of manifesting in the offspring.

That's the reason not to Hatch with a Satyr that has not manifested Spritely.

So that is why I say, we need a way to see at least what generation a pet is, other than its pedigree does not match what is seen on other websites.
The generation is mostly irrelevant.
All you need to see is which Talents have manifested since they have the greatest chance of being transferred to the offspring.

And I don't know about other Lifers, but it kind of gets me miffed that the Sea Dragon has Spritely.
All of the Celestia pets have Spritely in the petnome.

its 48 pet has the lowest # of pips therefore easiest for other schools to use.
I'm not sure why that matters.
Only Life can use the Satyr pet.
I don't see people using the Satyr spell more often than any other.
Typically people are more interested in AoE spells.

Come on, what is a Lifer gonna use a 6 pip Wraith card for, potentially wiping out 6 yellow pips, except in desperation.
People only use Satyr in desperation as well.

The other school 48 pets have the potential for zero pip may cast spells. Only the shields could be used by other schools to a great extent. The blades and traps (if they worked) are really best for the original school.
Depends.
My Myth used Ice Bird for the Ice Blade since the secondary school is Ice.
Moved on to using Storm quite a bit.
In Celestia, I mostly use Storm and Life for that character - I drop back to Myth only if I'm facing a Storm opponent.

I haven't really seen you discuss how you use the spells of your secondary school.

But Life's 48 level pet may get a one pip spell that any other school can use. And now, and now, just cough up some Crowns and bingo you get a 4/10 chance for Spritely!
I think Satyr was the only school pet to have a May Cast like that.
And, it's not like Life really needs that spell to survive - others do.
Plus, everyone was already Hatching Spritely into their pets anyway.
It didn't stay unique to Satyr for long, even before Celestia.

the whole issue about Spritely consuming Guiding Light and reducing the effectiveness of Life's level 48 spell.
Yeah, that seems to be similar to the issues Myth has with minions.
I think all of the schools have problems they have to overcome.

If anything, the may cast spell should be Guiding Light.
Maybe.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
The manifested Talents are weighted to have a greater chance of manifesting in the offspring.

That is a pretty important point! But just to ask, how do you know that is true?

I haven't really seen you discuss how you use the spells of your secondary school.

I don't. I aim for high power pip percentage and try to take advantage of the character's school as much as possible, and only use zero or one pip spells from other schools, for instance
- Spirit Blade (both Life and Death have it, and they cast on each other as need be)
- Element Blade (Life char, good when working with Storm, Fire, or Ice as support)
- Weakness (Life char, I question if training up was worth it, but it makes a good spell if I am saving pips for a heal)
- ice-fire shield (Death char, got from training up Storm)
- Storm Trap (Death char, only if a Storm is in the battle)
- Sprite (Death char, if Death is with noobs at lower levels like during Halloween)
- Feint (Life char)
- Storm Shield (Life and Death, mistake, but since I trained it, might as well)

I am entertaining the idea of doing a retrain and going up to Tower Shield, I would loose an Ice Shield but gain Tower Shield. I could always equip the amulet with Ice Shields.

My Death trained up to Kraken in Storm, so I got Storm Trap. Then I just happen to get a coat from Malistaire that gives Triton that any school can equip, use that when I am bored. Against a Storm Boss, first put on a Spirit Trap (for Myth Trap), then Storm Prism, then lay on Feint, Treasure Card Feint, Storm Trap, Curse, get my Lifer to put on Element Blades and fire away! Its hilarious! Then if things go wrong, I still have a Life Trap and Death on it to wipe it out. I was thinking of trying to Get a Grimzilla just so I had two heavy hitting Storm cards in case one fizzles.

All of the Celestia pets have Spritely in the petnome.

Now that is funny! Because I had the Lifer buy the Starfish in hopes it would be something without Spritely. But that does open up possibilities for the Death character. Laugh at me in great expanses, because I never hatched between the Life and Death. The truth is, I plan to, but first want to get an in-game friend a Balance pet with Spritely.

Before I get to upset about the Starfish, it should be pointed out I could have waited, and if you were to see how much gold and time was wasted crafting the Grizzleheim Watchtower Hall, any mention of gold on the Starfish is insignificant.

Yes, most of the Celestia pets are completely mapped already..

Last time I checked not the case on wizard101.wikia.com. I suppose I need to hit wizard101central.com more often, but user customizations make it so hard to read. I prefer the simple text format of this site and the wikia site.

My Myth used Ice Bird for the Ice Blade since the secondary school is Ice.

Wow you got a blade to work! Outstanding! That is a pet I want for my rare dropped pet collection. My son is Ice, it also could make good starter material for hatching (along with a Starfish). I was working that area the weekend after Celestia opened and it was empty on the realm I was on. I went to the Coven and it was empty too. The first time I was at the Coven you could hardly figure out where anything was with all the characters running about. Not sure what realm I was on.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
ic0517 wrote:

That is a pretty important point! But just to ask, how do you know that is true?

KI stated so in an interview.
And it is also observably true when Hatching.

I aim for high power pip percentage and try to take advantage of the character's school as much as possible, and only use zero or one pip spells from other schools, for instance.
The problem with Life, as far as a I can tell, is that there's no AoE attack - until Celestia.
- Spirit Blade
- Feint (Life char)
- Storm Shield
Seems like you need more shields? But, also seems like you need an AoE.
Spirit Blade and Feint should make up for not casting Guiding Light.
In Celestia, Crit gear and spells like Amplify and Vengeance make GL moot, too.

I am entertaining the idea of doing a retrain and going up to Tower Shield, I would loose an Ice Shield but gain Tower Shield. I could always equip the amulet with Ice Shields.
I think I have every shield and use the amulet that gives Darkwind.

Against a Storm Boss, first put on a Spirit Trap (for Myth Trap), then Storm Prism, then lay on Feint, Treasure Card Feint, Storm Trap, Curse, get my Lifer to put on Element Blades and fire away!
Wouldn't Spirit Blade be better than Spirit Trap?

Now that is funny! Because I had the Lifer buy the Starfish in hopes it would be something without Spritely.
Might not manifest Spritely, so...

any mention of gold on the Starfish is insignificant.
LOL

Yes, most of the Celestia pets are completely mapped already..

Last time I checked not the case on wizard101.wikia.com.
Yeah. I think wikia wanted to wait, for some reason.

Wow you got a blade to work!
LOL
Not the IceBlade Talent. The blade comes with the Ice Bird's innate card.
But the May Casts are casting now.
(Except Starfish casts IceTrap on the wizard instead of the enemy) LOL

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Wouldn't Spirit Blade be better than Spirit Trap?

Go watch those videos with 10,000,000 point hits. The name of the game is to use alternating prisms and put traps between then. The order the school-specific traps and prisms are cast is VERY important! You have to think in reverse, you first cast last trap you want the spell to go thru, and cast last the first trap (or prism) you want your spell to go thru.

In my case, I did not have Myth Trap, so the three traps did the job.

Keep in mind that there are many versions of Traps, and they can all stack. So even more of a hit would be to put down regular Myth trap, blue card Myth trap, Treasure card Myth Trap, Spirit Trap, Treasure Card Spirit Trap. Then Storm Prism (converts Storm to Myth), then Storm Trap, blue card Storm Trap, Treasure Card Storm Trap, Element Storm Trap, Treasure Card Element Trap, can't remember name group Storm Trap. Then a Myth prism (converts to Myth to Storm). Then do it all over again!

If you train up Storm you get Storm Trap; that's why I picked Storm as a second school, you can 'work' it a bit better. This worked pretty good until I jacked up the power pips, now its just for fun.

On the caster side (me, the wizard), the school of the spell comes from the card played. In this case Triton is Storm, so I want a some sort of Storm Blade, or whatever you call the Storm part of a Elemental Blade.

What I am not sure about is Curse, Hex, and Feint. Using my Life and Death characters, I tried prism-feint-prism-feint and as I recall, it did not work. As I recall, only one popped.

What I do know is that regular Feint and Treasure Card Feint stack. Oh man, then have a Balance friend cast Blue card, or enchanted Judgement. Deadly! And not that hard to do! Really, the hardest part is coming up with Diamonds for crafting the Feint treasure card; To make the Watchtower Hall Grizzleheim house takes 80 diamonds, and so they get snapped up at the Bazaar, you have to farm Ore and Transmute or get lucky.

The next question is, does Blue Card Feint stack? Can't get my hands on it yet. On the test realm you could buy the amulet but I heard its now a drop. Supposedly the Pale Maiden pet gives you one.

Remember, I have Life and Death, the Life can (usually) do a heal if the damage from Feints gets too bad. And yes, the traps that the two Feints put on you stack!

Will come back to the rest of your points, need to get to work!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Go watch those videos with 10,000,000 point hits.
I understand the concept.
I use it with Orthrus.

But, Storm is typically quicker for me just using blades - especially since I'm using it with Crits: Vengeance, Bandit, Stormblade, Tempest.
I guess the difference is that Life tends to be pretty slow-going anyway.
Plenty of time to stack traps.

Slow going with Orthrus as well if I'm using a minion and it's breaking my traps.
LOL