Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 15, 2009
stanklepoot wrote:
Let's face it, all of those complaints about other school's spells is about PVP, and PVP only. It's ridiculous. PVP was meant to be an additional thing for wizards to be able to do. It was never meant to be the main focus of the game. There are some players, however, whose main focus is PVP. I've heard them complain about having to do quests. Fine. That's their right. Please, don't alter the game for everyone, however, because these players complain the most about every other school's spells...and that's what they do. By now, I've heard complaints that every school has an unfair advantage. Ice has too much health, and the resist all boosts are too high. Balance's judgment spell is unfair. It can do too much damage, and very few shields can protect against it. Myth's earthquake spell removes all blades and traps. I've seen someone suggest that feint be altered so that it only boosts death spells. I've actually heard people complain about Life wizards healing themselves. The problem is that people get so frustrated when they lose, all they want to do is blame the game for stacking the deck against them. The truth is, every school has it's strengths and weaknesses, and a smart player will learn how to make the best use of those strengths and cover up their weaknesses. Please stop blaming the game if someone beats you. It happens. Please KI, stop giving in to these players at the expense of the rest of us who want to focus on playing the actual game, or if you do want to respond to their complaints, limit those changes to PVP. That 's all a lot of the complainers really care about anyway. Why else would they complain that another school is too strong? In real gameplay, they're going to want strong allies. I didn't hear my two fellow wizards complain I was too powerful when my Legendary Diviner helped them waltz through Briskbreeze.

Steven Stormrider, Legendary Diviner
Steven Spiritblade, Grandmaster Theurgist
Steven Deathbringer, Grandmaster Necromancer
Steven Firebrand, Grandmaster Pyromancer
Steven Spellweaver, Grandmaster Sorcerer
Steven Legendhunter, Grandmaster Conjurer

yep thats all KI is doing catering to PvP.
I played using wildbolt and i HATE IT!!!!! put it back the way it was.

Defender
May 17, 2009
arollison wrote:
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

I understand why you might think this, but look at it from a storm persons view (yes I am storm). We have very low health already, I am 59 and have less than half of ices at 60. Besides, in celestia, when most of the bosses start out with lots of power pips and go first, I could be dead on the first round (a critical helephant than helper does like phoenix or something)! If I am lucky anough to go first, or none of the enemies hit with critical, I need to get rid of the helper quickly. How would I do that? With the old wild bolt doing critical, or at least i would weaken him. It is part of our storm wizards style given our low accuracy and health. The community has given many great ideas about bolt, like locking it at 10%. However, it doesn't seem to me like KI read the polls or even the coments, the ratio of change haters to lovers was more than 2-1. I think all the PvP losers (and btw, the arena does not affect the real game, it is just an option. It isn't as if a que st is to grow to sergant in the arena) have beguiled everyone who works at KI, because otherwise, they just must be insane or not really be making this game.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
NicoUzumaki wrote:

The bottom line is storm wizards DO NOT rely on wild bolt

Speak for yourself there. I used Wild Bolt 95% of the time in ANY combat scenario (PVE). I spent ALOT of time getting Accuracy Gear, and leveling up Pets that would add up to 6-7% Accuracy, as well as using Keen Eyes. I had a 40% accuracy bonus after all my countless hours spent working to get my accuracy up, JUST so i could use this spell. So do Storm Wizards use this card more than any other offense spell? I sure did and im sure i am not the only Storm Wizard out there who was robbed of this.

Now does this mean i did not fizzle alot? Sure i did, but you can see why i loved my Wild Bolt, and why im furious that it was taken away from Storm Wizards everywhere, who were passionate about a spell they spent time obtaining, and the hours put in to obtain enough Accuracy to make Wild Bolt their number one offensive choice.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008

My name is Deonic: a Critic. I write my view point for all players to show that I care about their opinions, and I want changes to be made. I am also a kid player of W101. And might I say, you guys just can't get the Wild Bolt right! I was once a storm wizard, and like a lot of storm wizards, i was frustrated by accuracy. Wild Bolt is perfect example. The old 10 acc, 1,000 damage: WAY TOO FRUSTRATING! It never worked, no matter what you used on it, precision, Lightning strike, it made no difference. It would have been much easier to blade and trap a kraken to match(or beat) the bolt. The new 70 acc 10/100/1000 damage is no better. Storm is supposed to be great for it's power! 10/100 is NOT power! This is how it should be 50 acc, 500/750/1,000 damage, and no additional stats. That is how it should be! So change now to make players LOVE storm. You won't regret it.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2010
10 or 100 or 1000 damage! worst spell ever. u made it do 10 or 100 or 1000 and it always does 10 im tired of it

Defender
Apr 10, 2009
I don't know about you guys but I am diggin' the new bolt! It is WAY fun to wait in anticipation to see how much it will do. But, it isn't a spell you should charge up for. If you are going to use it, it is best you don't have any traps or blades just in case you role a 10. though this isn't a big deal since 1000 damage for 2 pips is EXCELLENT! Well worth the risk to me.

Also I am level 53, so I am not fighting lost souls or anything where 10 damage is a lot.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I for one love the new adjustment. Proffessor Greyrose is right. It truly is a wild bolt now. After playing and seeing the new adjustment I really like it. Think if it went back to the always hit, always 1000. With new critical hits (which I really don't like KI) you would pretty much be dead and there would be no need for family play any longer.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
bravevline wrote:
I for one love the new adjustment. Proffessor Greyrose is right. It truly is a wild bolt now. After playing and seeing the new adjustment I really like it. Think if it went back to the always hit, always 1000. With new critical hits (which I really don't like KI) you would pretty much be dead and there would be no need for family play any longer.

Wrong. It is not "wild",it is "useless". A change was needed to the spell due to the accuracy boosts,but the new implementation was poorly thought out.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
I have to agree, the new wild bolt is pretty bad. Now, i barely ever use wild bolt anymore! Please, oh please, change it back to the way it was before.

Alexis Hawk caller, Master Diviner level 48, soon to be level 49

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
Count me in on the I Love The New Wild Bolt! CL mobs use it frequently and you know what...it stinks when I get hit for 10 when I have a shield up, and it stinks when I get hit for 1000 with no shield. But KI did a great thorough job in finding a resolution.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
I think the new wild bolt is OK.

It makes pvp more fair for non storm players, but this would not be my solution. I would give every school a spell like the old wild bolt that fit their schools charactericts. like for fire there could be a sudden burst of flames coming up, or for ice it starts to snow right on the character.

Elizabeth Seacloud
lvl 60 myth :P

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
I guarantee you the majority (though small) of people saying that they are all for the change to Wild Bolt, are people who actually dont even play Storm, they are disgruntled pvp'ers who were sick of being killed in PVP by the pre-Celestia bolt (go ahead start denying it, i dont even PVP though so it matters little if you do). Once again, this spell was a PVP issue, how many times does this need to be addressed, KI? Do what you need to about the issue in PVP, but stop punishing the PVE community of Storm Wizards who are waiting impatiently for you to reverse what you did.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
i don like the new spell, because of it i have died way more than i used to. Most of my friend and me included, liked it better when it never hit but you knew what it could do when it hit. Now its just a spark. Change the name of the card to wild spark and maybe ill be happy O_O

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
i know most people are upset about the change to wild bolt but the truth is, storm at this point is only thinking about themselves, what about us non storm wizards? you come in pvp and almost automaticly you take like half of our health a lot of people have been losing to storm and their ranks have plumbeted (forgive me ifi spelled that wrong) to the ground because of that spell if you askme i think the change was needed due to the unfair adnantages in that spells high damage.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Okay KI, you've obviously NOT been listening to the players of Wizard101. If you had been, you would have fixed this tradgedy you call "the new Wildbolt".

First, it's been long enough by now for us Storms to toy around with the new spell. I was open to trying it out at first, like many others. But after using it a few times I realized what many others are realizing too: it is worthless. There is no point keeping one in deck anymore, I could get more damage out of Thundersnake or Lightning Bats, that cost less or the same amount of pips.

Secondly, was this change really all for PvP? It sure seems like it. There is no other reason why you would feel it nessacery to change it, because the real Wildbolt was doing no harm to anyone in PvE. If you're going to start changing spells to be more 'fair' (it was perfectly fine before, a good PvPer shouldn't have had any problem facing a Bolter), then go ahead, might as well change Judgement around too! Ooh, what about that scary Heckhound? Can you just feel the saracasm dripping off me? KI, if you really wanted to fix PvP you should have started elsewhere.

Lastly, do we need to threaten you with subscribtion cancels really? That's what it's beginning to come to. Honestly, start actually listening to your players, and do not weaken Storms further than they are. Let's not let it come to the threats.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
The reason why so many storms dont like this ( and yes i have a storm ) is because with the old version you could use buffs and if it worked great if it didnt then that sucks but the only bad thing about it was fizzle now useing buffs on it will be a waste if it does not do 1000. But even though mostly people from pvp complained about it. but it was still a lot of people so KI either ignored them and lose a whole bunch of people or do this change and make almost everyone who uses it in pvp mad.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
knight447 wrote:
i know most people are upset about the change to wild bolt but the truth is, storm at this point is only thinking about themselves, what about us non storm wizards? you come in pvp and almost automaticly you take like half of our health a lot of people have been losing to storm and their ranks have plumbeted (forgive me ifi spelled that wrong) to the ground because of that spell if you askme i think the change was needed due to the unfair adnantages in that spells high damage.

Thank you yet again for proving our point ("our" meaning - Storm Wizards who used Wild Bolt in PVE) that this is a PVP issue only....

Survivor
Aug 19, 2009
blizzardkid94 wrote:
CoopKoda wrote:
I still don't think you have made the right adjustment to this spell. The 10 and 100 are just unrealistic for this spell which was one of Storms mysterious spells.

This spell should be changed to only 2 possible hits, 500 and 1000. The accuracy lowered to 50% and capped with no ability for it to be enchanted or affected by gear.

There is no point to a spell being in Storms spell book if they are never gonna use it, and with the current way it's been changed, it's not likely anyone will.

Professor Greyrose wrote:
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

Wild Bolt will now have 70% accuracy and do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

Sorry Professor you do not listen to feed back otherwise you would have used the excellent suggestion made by the above poster (500 or 1000 hit with 50% accuracy)..... KI strikes out once again!

That idea is all kinds of wrong. 500 or 1000, are you kidding me?!!?

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Take away WILD from Wild Bolt and place 'Worthless'! Wild Bolt isnt Wild anymore without the 10% accuracy and 1000 hit damage. To make things fair, It should be 50% accuracy and 500 or 1000 damage. Who agrees?

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Yunggrillz wrote:
I think this change was made for PvP. People lose repeatedly by the same spell and they get upset, they complain, and soon enough they change the spell. I have a Grandmaster Storm, and I extremely rarely used wild bolt, however this change means it'll simply be a spell that merely marks the path to the better spells. I find it hard to imagine anyone using the new Wild Bolt, while the old one(outside of PvP) was not a consistent spell used regularly anyways. However, I believe that due to Storm's low health, we often find ourselves with few pips, few health, and with a Wild Bolt in our hand. The only times I ever used it were for last ditch efforts to win a battle. If you're going to change Wild Bolt then, I believe you should give Storm a small additional boost to their health. Because at Level 60, I had 2190 health approximately. That is wayy too low when I've seen Ice students with very nearly double that. At Level 60, Storm should have around 2400-2500 health. Just my opinion, hope you don't keep the new WB.

Alexander: Lvl 50 Storm
Alexander Dragonbreath: Level 50 Life
Alexander Skullblade: Level 48 Death
Alexander: Level 45 Balance

The health depends on your clothes

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
knight447 wrote:

I just want to point out to you, that its not only for pvp that i miss bolt. It would be a great help in Celestia, maybe KI can make that card change in the arena, to satisfy all you people who think bolt is unfair in pvp and then take it back to normal on the streets where its power is needed for killing hard monsters and bosses. I know this probably wont happen but that is my compromise and i will continue to watch this board and see what else pops up.

Grand Death
Grand Storm
Adept Life
Novice Balance
Novice Ice
(deciding between fire and myth still )

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
I would rather see Wild Bolt returned to it's previous glory for those of us who use it to actually stay alive while questing. From a 'attempting to solo' standpoint, a storm wizard has such low health, they needed at least a chance of killing a boss or strong enemy before getting pounded. If it was altered simply to level the PVP playing field, change it only in PVP. I don't do PVP, don't like PVP, and would be happy if it did not exist. Frankly, PVP in a game like this is counter-intuitive to the entire story line. 'Help other wizards'...but only get the best rewards for spending endless hours trying to destroy them.
Yeah, maybe the new wildbolt is more balanced for PVP, but what about the rest of us?
BTW, I have been sorely dissapointed by the impossible to solo, hardcore, PVP focused direction that Wizards has taken and have cancelled my subscription. My son can't even play anymore. Your are demanding tactical genius to simply survive in a game that I thought was geared towards younger players. Add the now nearly constant disconnects (every 15 minutes to an hour) that make it virtually impossible to finish a dungeon without having to start over several times, and I doubt I would keep playing this game even if it were free.

Defender
May 17, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:
With a 30% accuracy increase to the spell, the MAX % someone can get on the 1000 hit is about 33%, this is a major improvement. For now with all the accuracy boosts, the old bolt could have 80%, this is WORSE then judgement, earthquake, chain stunning, tower shields, constant healing, etc. anything you can think of ALL COMBINED. This would RUIN pvp if it stayed the same. You need to think about other schools, not just storm.

Allow me to quote something you said. "This would RUIN pvp if it stayed the same. You need to think about other schools not just storm." Allow me to make a counter saying, which you should have noticed while typing this comment. "You need to think about the people who play the storyline, not waste their lives in pvp KI probably didn't work too hard on, and they probably worked very hard on the storyline." I am sure EVERYONE who is storm or has a storm friend who actually does the storyline os very annoyed by this, and if all the pvp losers (no offense, I just really hate pvp crybabies who change the game with silly complaints, plus pvp doesn't even really affect the game at all) still really hate it, tell KI to lock it a 10%, not totally ruin it for us storms.

Defender
May 17, 2009
rupertjames wrote:
Ok so what we all want to know is, is it really 33% chance of each hit?
Some think that KI are being honest others don't, so the question is what are the results? Being scientific I recorded 30 hits of wild bolt against lost souls and these are my results.

I was wearing no boosts and these were plain wild bolts.
So out of 30 it fizzled 9 times - that is 30% (totally correct)
And out of the 21 times it hit
1000 - 6 times (28.5%) lower
100 - 5 times (23.8%) lower
10 -10 times (47.7%) much higher

Showing that according to my short test that wild bolt isn't faithful to the card but hits lower more often!
On a possitive note - wild bolt now has a 19% chance of hitting 1000 as opposed to the previous 10%! But it is pretty much locked because you can't effect the chances of hitting between 10, 100 or 1000

But... as I realised, hitting 10 (especially for storm) is totally unrealistic, so a great alternative would be to set wild bolt so that if it hits 10 or 100 it doesn't use blades, traps or any other boosts - that would be great!

Please realise these are totally accurate results, i have in no way changed or misrepresented what i recorded, however only 30 tests isn't very many and one might easily obtain very different results if they tried it themselves, in fact i encourage everyone to do this test and to post their results here! The more you do the more accurate the statistics will be!

I actually did my own "test" without even realizing it. Say I am fighting Calypso to get some good clothes or whatever. Near the beginning i bolt the minion, but it only does the 10. Then, at the end, Calypso or the minion has 2 health, we bolt because we have no wand, and it does critical 1000. That would be OK if i didn't happen EVERY !@#$ING TIME! I agree with you, the bolt doesn't even work as close to as well as before, even if you lock the bolt at 10% accuracy it would be better than the new one. Also I like the, "a great alternative would be to set wild bolt so that if it hits 10 or 100 it doesn't use blades, traps or any other boosts - that would be great!" comment, it is very correct and thoughtful.

Administrator
This discussion will continue on the message boards, but I wanted to assure our readers that this thread was unintentionally removed.

It was not our intent to stop or hide this discussion, it was simply human error that removed this entire thread, instead of just an inappropriate post within the thread.

Also I want to point out that we are not commenting on posts because we want this to be a civilized discussion between our players. Each and every post is read, and we are listening.

While we do not anticipate reverting Wild Bolt, we are taking into consideration how the current status of the spell impacts our players in both PvE and PvP.

community@wizard101.com