Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
I have had an account since late 2008, Grandmasters in all schools except myth(working on that now)...deleted some and started over...

That being said, I dont pvp much, dont plan on it either.

I understand what has been going on there and there will always be someone with an advantage, maybe more randomness is needed there or limit to a 30 spell deck no matter what level.... and spells are random...
- I dont have all the answers just suggestions...

I am very displeased with changing any spells if you do not compensate...

If you make it more accurate but make it 66% more likely to hit under 120, then either make each base storm wizard more health or more accurate in general. If you are leveling the playing field then give them as much health as you are taking from the spell!

In my storm wizard(GM) I never carried the spell in deck but used enhancements and only carried them as treasure cards(accurate, sniper, etc).

Again, abuses in PVP are changing the game- again, since it is a minor part of the whole gaming experience it should be addressed appropriately.

Rhemas
"just my 2cents, got change?"

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
The only storm wizard i own is lvl 13- i don't have the wild bolt spell, it has not been used on me, (at least i'm pretty sure) and i wouldn't put the spell in my deck anyway if i got it- the decks for around that lvl are kind of small. but i think that the changes to this spell are based on the people that lose to storm people in pvp and complain about it. but they dont even have it, so whats the point of changing it? if they dont want to fight storm wizards, they can join a pvp match without storm wizards. this spell always added excitement to the game (e.g. whenever somebody cast it at a boss, i would wonder, will it work, or will it not? i felt happy when it worked) and now that excitement is gone. plz change wb back!

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Now I'm going to make a few wizards mad oh well.
Storm wizards we have seen how many of your friends use that spell that are not storm SO you brought this on YOURSELVES when you were allowed to trade enchanted cards you made bolt and gave them to other players that were NOT storm That was the begining of this change. So first off look in the mirror yes you know who you are and who you made and gave Bolts to...
For the past few weeks I have seen storms use nothing BUT wild bolts in PVP knowing they could cast them easily. was I happy about it no did I cry over it nope just moved on I have a grandmaster storm and a grand balance as well ,our shields on balance may be multiple however they only protect by 50% yes balance has a powerful spell with judge I agree but with towers or spirt armor our hit is reduced by a lot more then a bolt could at old standards, make what adjustments you need and try them out. There are spells balance has little use for as well spectral blast is also unpredictable.
Have fun stay safe its a game. Thanks for the thread I don't like the change but can live with it. By the way I think that 62% against the change is to low.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
In honesty. I was reading a central post that said something like this "Thanks to the pvp crowd, now fighting monsters with my storm is way more difficult without the spell, thanks complainers you always win"

I see where the spell is annoying in pvp, but in pve its not fair to tweak a spell like that.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
really? why did you guys change Wb? that was my most used, and favorite spell, i had 6 in my deck. i hate the new one. that was also a 'save my butt' spell at the end when your about to die.WHY!?!

Luke Skywalker-50 life
Carlos Crocaller-52 storm
Brian Firespear-10 fire

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Bookshelvings wrote:
I don't have a storm wizard - haven't planned on getting one, either (unless we get to have 7 wizards per account). But this is... not a good change.

Wild Bolt was Wild in that it required a ton of luck to actually hit stuff - but if it managed to hit, then it did a huge amount of damage. The utterly absurd fizzle chance was a perfect balance against the potentially destructive power.

But this...? I don't like this change. It ruins strategy and planning, as a person may manage to hit something with Wild Bolt now, but also waste 3 blades and 7 traps on a spell that hits for 10 damage, and make it impossible for another storm spell to use those traps. Before, the Wild Bolt would fizzle instead and leave it open for another storm spell to hit the target.

This spell makes it a direct gamble. I would much, much rather see a function implemented where Wild Bolt would not be affected by +accuracy gear or spells. Or even have its accuracy lowered even more! Everything but adding this outright lottery of luck as to what damage you can do.

i agree.
what next? Thunder snake hiting 500s???

Survivor
Mar 18, 2010
Don't you think that changing the wild bolt to 70% accuracy and atacks of 10, 100, or 1,000 is not very smart because when you cast the spell it will most likely only cause 10 damage instead of 100 OR EVEN 1,000. Please reply :D

Survivor
Nov 04, 2009
My feeling on the new wild bolt are that it still is not worth wasting 2 pips to only get a 10 damage to the enemy. So therefore it is not worth having in your deck. A storm wizard can do just as much damage with a wand and not have to worry about wasting pips. So I think it needs more tweeking to make it right. I think it should have a 50% chance to go off and do 250,500, or 1000 damgage, that would be worth a storm wizard time and pips then.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
Like someone else posted earlier, i am also paying for a month membership just so i can post on here, cause i am absolutely furious about this change. First off, i do NOT pvp, i pve only and as a Storm wizard, i had so much fun with my Wild Bolt spell. I actually get amped up with each encounter, just cause of the chance that i can do a good bit of damage, at a cost of course, that being the gamble involved. Its what made the spell fun, if it works, you can hit hard and take a npc out in a hit. But thats the thing, its a GAMBLE, and its a gamble storm wizards who loved the spell were willing to take!

The only problem i see is from the PVP community, cause they dont like getting hit for 1000. Ok so im seeing a trend, PVP complaining, PVE not complaining. Why cant KI just code the spell to where you cannot exceed beyond 20-25% accuracy while battling other players, and LEAVE THE SPELL ALONE when you are in the PVE areas?? For Storm Wizards who use the spell, it is (was) a beloved spell, and i have gone as far as to quit playing the game till i see what KI did, reversed.

Fix it in PVP, but leave it as it was in PVE. I know i am just one player, big deal, if KI loses money that i spend on the game every other week, its probably a drop in the bucket. But i am done playing the game as of this change, and i have a month to check back each day to see if KI realises the mess they created by doing this. Yes, i am/was that passionate about my character, and the fun i had with my Wild Bolt. If the old Wild Bolt is gone, then i am to.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
You guys ruined the wild bolt spell, when i first used the new one it hit 10s five times in a row before it hit a 100..... i am yet to hit a 1000 with it

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
I just got wild bolt for my diviner and I'm not going to use it. If the chance of it doing 1000 damage is the same chance of a rare drop from a boss or hybrid pet hatching, it'll never happen enough to be dependable. At least if it fizzles, I won't have to rebuff before I can attack again.

And, as a reference, almost all of my drops came from second chance chests and I'm sitting on five wraiths with no hybrids.

:?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I don't have a storm wizard, I don't PvP, and to be honest, I personally feel that the school of storm is made to be way over powered vs. other schools (a topic for another time) as you hit grand gear and beyond. However, after a lot of consideration, I think that you missed the boat on this change KI. I understand that there may have been programming reasons preventing you from easily capping accuracy, however, a spell that can do 10 damage with a base 70% accuracy plus the almost insane accuracy increases of storm gear means that this spell is likely to be a pip waster.

It seems to me that this spell was never intended to be relied upon and as such only got used by people while they were building pips on the off chance that it would work. This nullifies that use. I do have to agree with the other posters. When I get around to building a Storm wizard, I can't imagine using this version of the spell in my deck at all. I really don't know what the answer is here. I'm not sure what is feasible for you to program, and what isn't. Possibly, I could foresee using it in some applications if it did from 100-1000 (anywhere in that range) damage. But realistically, that doesn't really restore the spirit of the spell either.

Personally, I think your real mistake was in giving such high accuracy boosts to storm gear (so high in fact that it would seem a level 60 storm could completely nullify the effects of smokescreen or black mantle), but it would seem that ship has already sailed. Whatever solution you come up with (possibly cap the maximum aggregate accuracy effect of gear to 30%? and make the original wild bolt spell un-enchantable?) it would seem you have a lot of programming on your hands. Regardless, this is truly not the right solution to this spell.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2010
I am EXTREMELY Disappointed in the change you have made to "Wild Bolt"! As a Mother that plays this game with my 3 children, I think you made a Bad Decision with this move! Myself and 1 of my children, are Storm School Grands. "Wild Bolt" is one of the reasons we chose the Storm School! It was Storm Schools greatest pull. You have now taken a Storm Asset and made it a Downfall! We have Completely Removed this spell from our decks! Why take the time to set up Blades and Traps to have it sabotaged by a 10 point reduction??? What A Joke! I sincerely hope that you will Restore "Wild Bolt" to it's former, rightful Glory! This is something you owe to Everyone who chose to work so hard for the Privilege of using this once Mighty Move...

Defender
Jul 21, 2009
I think that if you had just made wild bolt a no pvp spell then storm wizards could still use it a lot in the game but not use it to win at pvp in three turns. Wild bolt is only unfair in pvp but is perfectly fine in the regular game. If you just made it no pvp, it would be a win-win situation.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
I have waited to comment on this subject until now. Many valid points have been made, and almost all of them are against this change to Wild Bolt. I have to agree with all of them.

My first wizard was and still is a Grand Master Fire, however I do have other wizards from every other school except Ice. My only other Grand is Balance, and the rest are still in Marleybone (including my Storm). This gives me a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each school and the strategies involved in battle.

Things KI needs to take into consideration when making a drastic change to a spell like Wild Bolt (some of these have been mentioned before).

1) Storm wizards have low health and low accuracy in exchange for heavy hitting spells. This is just like how Ice has high health and accuracy and shields, because of their low damage spells. This is a part of the balance of the game. A higher accuracy, but low hit chance is just plain contradictory to the battle style of Storm.

2) Not a single school has a spell that hits once at 10, especially not costing pips to do so. All schools have access to wands that can do considerable damage for 0 pips. The lowest level wands have a base hit of 45-50.
I don't even think I should have to go into the waste of pips, blades and traps, and time, but just in case you don't get it: A base hit of 10 is just a horrible waste of pips, blades and traps, and the time spent putting up the blades and traps for any school.

3) I also agree that most, if not all, complaints came from PvP players. I also think that the new Sun spells and treasure cards that boost accuracy increased the complaints for PvP. I understand some of these complaints as I have been in these situations before where I was defeated within a round or two due to spam stunning and spam bolting. I was not even given a chance to block or heal.

4) Other spells are limited to what will and will not affect them. Sun spells won't work on X pip spells like Judgement and Heck Hound, and health stealing spells like Scarecrow and Wraith. Also, you can only use these enhancements on your own school spells or ones you have bought using training points.

Question for KI: Why can't Wild Bolt be included in this category where it is not able to be enhanced by accuracy and strength cards?

5) Here is something I have not seen anyone mention yet as a major consideration in using a spell like Wild Bolt in PvE versus PvP (enhanced or not).

There is a huge difference in using a base 1,000 hit card against a wizard in PvP whose health is capped off between 1,900-3,000 and a MOB Boss in PvE whose health is at 10,000 and has minions to help. Being able to take out 50% or more of your opponents health in one hit is a huge advantage in PvP, but that can barely make a dent in a Boss battle.

Another question for KI: Why are we crippling Storm wizards with this horrible change, when there is an obvious and simple fix?
Just cap the accuracy of Wild Bolt and leave its damage alone, or do not allow it in PvP. I have not seen any Storm wizards on here objecting to that kind of a change.

Survivor
May 05, 2010
Pyrsik wrote:
You have simply neutered the spell. There is no strategic value to it anymore. I see no reason why anyone would include it in their deck. Why would anyone want to use a spell that will hit roughly 2/3 of the time,and if it does it, you have a 1/3 chance of a good hit? In my opinion, you have taken out the "wild" and replaced it with useless. :?

I agree. The spell is useless and I won't be using it anymore. I'd rather take a chance and save my pip's if it doesn't hit instead of loosing 2 pips on a 10 point hit.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
dresen15 wrote:
I have waited to comment on this subject until now. Many valid points have been made, and almost all of them are against this change to Wild Bolt. I have to agree with all of them.

My first wizard was and still is a Grand Master Fire, however I do have other wizards from every other school except Ice. My only other Grand is Balance, and the rest are still in Marleybone (including my Storm). This gives me a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each school and the strategies involved in battle.

Things KI needs to take into consideration when making a drastic change to a spell like Wild Bolt (some of these have been mentioned before).

1) Storm wizards have low health and low accuracy in exchange for heavy hitting spells. This is just like how Ice has high health and accuracy and shields, because of their low damage spells. This is a part of the balance of the game. A higher accuracy, but low hit chance is just plain contradictory to the battle style of Storm.

2) Not a single school has a spell that hits once at 10, especially not costing pips to do so. All schools have access to wands that can do considerable damage for 0 pips. The lowest level wands have a base hit of 45-50.
I don't even think I should have to go into the waste of pips, blades and traps, and time, but just in case you don't get it: A base hit of 10 is just a horrible waste of pips, blades and traps, and the time spent putting up the blades and traps for any school.

3) I also agree that most, if not all, complaints came from PvP players. I also think that the new Sun spells and treasure cards that boost accuracy increased the complaints for PvP. I understand some of these complaints as I have been in these situations before where I was defeated within a round or two due to spam stunning and spam bolting. I was not even given a chance to block or heal.

4) Other spells are limited to what will and will not affect them. Sun spells won't work on X pip spells like Judgement and Heck Hound, and health stealing spells like Scarecrow and Wraith. Also, you can only use these enhancements on your own school spells or ones you have bought using training points.

Question for KI: Why can't Wild Bolt be included in this category where it is not able to be enhanced by accuracy and strength cards?

5) Here is something I have not seen anyone mention yet as a major consideration in using a spell like Wild Bolt in PvE versus PvP (enhanced or not).

There is a huge difference in using a base 1,000 hit card against a wizard in PvP whose health is capped off between 1,900-3,000 and a MOB Boss in PvE whose health is at 10,000 and has minions to help. Being able to take out 50% or more of your opponents health in one hit is a huge advantage in PvP, but that can barely make a dent in a Boss battle.

Another question for KI: Why are we crippling Storm wizards with this horrible change, when there is an obvious and simple fix?
Just cap the accuracy of Wild Bolt and leave its damage alone, or do not allow it in PvP. I have not seen any Storm wizards on here objecting to that kind of a change.

I believe doing something to the spell as far as PVP is concerned, is the only route to go. I used Keen Eyes for the additional accuracy with every single wild bolt, but keep in mind this is in PVE ONLY, as i am sure other PVE storm wizards would agree with. Just make accuracy cards not applicable in PVP, i dont see how this is a problem?? Storm wizards work hard to get as much accuracy as they can, and a huge part of that task, is to help with Wild Bolt. One thing everyone is in agreement with for the most part, this problem is PVP ONLY, not PVE.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
I can now accept the change, that it has neutralised a great spell, but nothing will be done and i am happy just to move on, and use other spells, but i can mention two things.

First off - don't try and patronize us by saying it is truly a 'wild spell' when it is actually truly a 'useless spell'

Secondly - this change hasn't really affected storm in PvE, we are still the strongest and everybody looks up to us to use lord and kill off all opponments, ok they all help a bit, ice put shields on the team, balance put blades on, life heal, death use feint and curse and also heal. But it is almost always storm that hits the killing blow. So to all the storm haters out there - you only hate us in pvp.

But in PvP i feel storm has been crippled - leviathan isn't that good, and we now have very low life, power pip chance, mana, resist, just so we can achieve average damage and some extra accuracy. I have always found it difficult to defeat anyone in pvp becasue they all use storm and tower shields, but after this update i am never going to PvP again, because i went on and went from commander - veteran in 2 hours. Being beaten by lower ranked higher level balance wizards.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Come on guys really. 62% said i dont like it. the new spell is fine it is a luck spell that will hopefully deal 1000 damage. the last one was all about would it work at all with the 10% fizz rate. so come on. besides they would have never changed the spell if so many people didnt complianed about it and now you complain it is horrible. make up your mind.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
I agree with everyone that has posted that wild bolt should be reverted back to its original stature because this would ruin the balance of the game. Even though I resent the school of storm (for irrevelant reasons), I stick up for equality; each school has their special quality(PvP):

Fire- Can remove shields in a breeze

Myth- (Read the above)

Life- Can heal immensly

Death- Can heal as they attack

Ice- Has amazing resist and shields

Balance- Can put weakness, black mantle, shields, blades and traps as they wait for full-pip judgement

Storm- Strongest Attacks to help them end a battle quickly so they don't die due too low health

I am appalled at the changes to Wild Bolt because this destroys the essence of wild bolt (and some storm people don't even do PvP which makes this change even more brutal). You as well reduce judgement to 25 per pip, remove death life drain (steal), remove some of life's healing spells, change fire attacks to normal instead of having it as a linger, change myth double attacks to single attacks, and remoive ice's resist to everything and it's shields because without the original wildbolt this put's storm at a collasoll disadvantage (might as well not even have the spell if nobody wants to use it anymore)

I am not going to join the violent ranting of others mainly because of three reasons:
1. It's just a game; if you don't like it, move on
2. The is CIVILIZED chat; not a wreslting rink
3. I am positive this change won't last forever :)

P.S. Mithraya (I believe that is the spelling) tried a wild bolt on me and it only did 100
So could Kingsisle keep this change for the enemies?

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
jjkl wrote:
Come on guys really. 62% said i dont like it. the new spell is fine it is a luck spell that will hopefully deal 1000 damage. the last one was all about would it work at all with the 10% fizz rate. so come on. besides they would have never changed the spell if so many people didnt complianed about it and now you complain it is horrible. make up your mind.

The only people that were complaining were the PVP people, KI doesnt need to punish PVE Storm Wizards when the spell was absolutely fine in that atmosphere!

Survivor
Oct 13, 2009
Adding to the chorus of voices saying the spell is now awful. I have no use for it anymore as a storm grand. In PvE, why would I risk wasting all my boosts on a 10 damage spell?

I seriously can't think of why anyone would slot it in its current form.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
faxbot882 wrote:
Now I'm going to make a few wizards mad oh well.
Storm wizards we have seen how many of your friends use that spell that are not storm SO you brought this on YOURSELVES when you were allowed to trade enchanted cards you made bolt and gave them to other players that were NOT storm That was the begining of this change. So first off look in the mirror yes you know who you are and who you made and gave Bolts to...
For the past few weeks I have seen storms use nothing BUT wild bolts in PVP knowing they could cast them easily. was I happy about it no did I cry over it nope just moved on I have a grandmaster storm and a grand balance as well ,our shields on balance may be multiple however they only protect by 50% yes balance has a powerful spell with judge I agree but with towers or spirt armor our hit is reduced by a lot more then a bolt could at old standards, make what adjustments you need and try them out. There are spells balance has little use for as well spectral blast is also unpredictable.
Have fun stay safe its a game. Thanks for the thread I don't like the change but can live with it. By the way I think that 62% against the change is to low.

I think you could reword that. You make all storm wizards sound like horrible people. I didn't trade anyone any enchanted cards. No one brought it upon themselves. Its all the people in pvp complaining because they didn't win. PVP makes up little of the game yet spells get changed.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
jjkl wrote:

The new spell is fine? You are not storm. How many wizards want to cast a spell for 2 pips and do 10 damage? Or 100 damage for that matter. And, has anyone even took a look at lower level wizards? This is totally unfair to them.

I propose, since this is the route KI wants to take against storm wizards, that KI also takes out any and all storm shields. There is no Balance shield, and since our health is that low and our accuracy is that low, it would only be fitting if people can only tower shield against us. Yeah, that sounds like a fair trade for our wonderful Wild Bolt Spell. All in favor, please post.

Oh, and all you people that say, no storm is too powerful, this and that, you have health, you have shields, you have your strengths, and nobody is taking anything away from your wizard, if anything, KI is making Life, Ice, Balance, and Death very dominant in this game.

That, or how about this, Wild Bolt does all 3 damages, in an untimely order, one round its 100, then 10, then 1000. or 1000, then 10, then 100. That way, we wont mind so much if our blades, traps, and pips are wasted, because at least we know it will do some damage and not be wasted.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I propose, since this is the route KI wants to take against storm wizards, that KI also takes out any and all storm shields. There is no Balance shield, and since our health is that low and our accuracy is that low, it would only be fitting if people can only tower shield against us. Yeah, that sounds like a fair trade for our wonderful Wild Bolt Spell. All in favor, please post.

Oh, and all you people that say, no storm is too powerful, this and that, you have health, you have shields, you have your strengths, and nobody is taking anything away from your wizard, if anything, KI is making Life, Ice, Balance, and Death very dominant in this game.

I agree that wild bolt as it stands now is broken. However, you are acting like its the only spell in your arsenal. You also keep talking about low accuracy, but the precise problem with the original wild bolt is that the new gear in celestia makes storm the MOST accurate class in the game, possibly even immune to black mantle or smoke screen. I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I hope that KI re-thinks this issue. However, I assure you. They aren't making the other classes dominant. They've got their issues and disappointments as well. Its not like they're neutering kraken, stormzilla, triton, storm lord, or the new leviathan.