Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Useless talents

AuthorMessage
Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I know this has been brought up before, but lately it has been getting worse. I have parent pets with good or great manifested battle talents, and when I hatch the resultant pet manifest garbage battle talents with increased strength, intelligence, agility, will, or power that is only useful in respect to derby. So now instead of battle talents my pets get increased derby stats along with derby talents, completely useless and stupid. If talents are divided between battle and derby, then have the talents manifested be for one or the other not bleeding into the other at the cost of making a pet essentially useless in battle, and a liability in hatching. It is frustrating and costly making me want to quit utilizing the pet system at all if I can't count on the proper separation and reasonable expectation of talent manifestation I can't hatch to create a better battle pet, merely another pet to sell or run around my house, since we can't trade pets, I have a variety that friends would love to have that I would give them because they are of no use to me.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I see multiple problems with the pets after implementation,not just the area you mentioned. I simply ignore that part of the game,and don't participate in it.

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
Actually those that help you in derby also help you if you have something like health gift and all that stuff. Use those abilities to interact with the good ones.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
It cracks me up when people try to justify the existence of the useless talents, so what if one of them helps the usefull talents, if you get 4 of the useless ones, it doesn't help anything. I completely agree with the original poster. I have been trying to hatch a better dragon from my guardian dragon, I've hatched it with a tempest, a burnzilla, a magma colossus, and a defender pig. without fail, I get canny, which is total garbage. I understand that it shouldn't be easy to get a pet with 4 battle talents, but every single one of my pets I have hatched (multiple generations of the dragon so far) get canny and at least 2 other garbage talents. I have spent over a million gold on hatching, and my pets have done nothing but get worse. the best pet I have gotten from this hatching so far is one with spell defying at 5% and health gift, when added together, are still not as good as the original dragon with 8% spell proof. On another note, I see that the sea dragon has some serious talents, but there is no way I will spend that much cash on a chance of getting them, because I'm pretty sure I will end up with the 4 I have no interest in. The pet system is trash.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
I think that it is more along the lines of what one player finds valueless, another will find valuable.

Clearly, you are frustrated with the current pet system. It is certainly your choice not to engage in that portion of the game.

This does not make the pet system itself 'trash'.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Of course, you keep getting Canny.
You are making it a dominant trait.

No worries.
Wait for Celestia.
Most of those pets come with all active Talents.
At worst 8:2.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
my hatching so far has beens something like Guardian dragon with magma colossus, dragon with canny, offspring canny first talent, original dragon with defender pig gets canny, original dragon with burnzilla, gets canny, evry offspring of the orginal dragon gets canny, that is not random, and I did not interbreed the offspring to make it a dominant trait, if the offspring had ever not gotten canny, I would have began using it as the base, but didn't get that chance. I wish the system was actually random. notice that I hatched with three different pets with spell proof all of them active, and never got spell proof on the offspring. So, in my experience, the pet system is trash, and you have no right to tell me what I can and can't say about it. You can't even make the argument that I just want it easy, because I've put in hours doing these mind numbing mini games for pets that just get worse and worse. I'm not doing it wrong, I had the misfortune of getting a dragon that, due to the luck of the draw, won't pass on anything good. I will say, that at least I got my dragon before the update, so I did at least get spell proof. I would have been more than angry if I had spent $20 and gotten a pet without spell proof.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
The Talents that manifest in the parents have the greatest chance of manifesting in the offspring.
So, if you Hatch a Magma Colossus with a dragon that manifested Canny, the offspring is very likely to manifest Canny.
You are correct that the offspring continuing to get Canny is not random; nor is it intended to be.

What you should do is find someone who has a dragon that has not manifested Canny and Hatch the Magma Colossus with that.

You can call the system trash if you like.
But, the people who have successfully bred the Talents they like (Spritely, Spell Proof, Pain Giver) via strategic planning know otherwise.

If you continue to use a pet that "won't pass on anything good", you are, indeed, "doing it wrong".

Survivor
May 20, 2010
bcbdla wrote:
The Talents that manifest in the parents have the greatest chance of manifesting in the offspring.
So, if you Hatch a Magma Colossus with a dragon that manifested Canny, the offspring is very likely to manifest Canny.
You are correct that the offspring continuing to get Canny is not random; nor is it intended to be.

What you should do is find someone who has a dragon that has not manifested Canny and Hatch the Magma Colossus with that.

You can call the system trash if you like.
But, the people who have successfully bred the Talents they like (Spritely, Spell Proof, Pain Giver) via strategic planning know otherwise.

If you continue to use a pet that "won't pass on anything good", you are, indeed, "doing it wrong".

Ok, then can you please tell me how to do it right? I just dont understand it, I have 9 magma, 7 zillas, and many others. I do have 8 defender pigs and the best one as of yet, gives me 9 resist, and basically 118 health, that is it. I did not even realize that there was a Power to all!! How stupid am I?

So can you please give some suggestions on how to hatch the right kind of pet that you are looking for? For instance my friend wanted a magma we have hatched sooooo many times, that is the reason for so many that I have. None of which are what I want. I do wish that I would have had the tickets to get it before the update. I missed it by ONE day...so no pips and resist. I did not find that fair at all. Espeically with all the hard work you do in pvp just to get it....

Jenna

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
No worries.
Wait for Celestia.

Wow, I am already on information overload with those two statements.

Silly me, I was debating trying to hatch between my Satyr with Spritely and Storm Cat with Storm Aura, and wondering if off spring would have both. I am just not thinking big enough, am I?

Spell Proof, Pain Giver, I had seen those a while ago, they were on older pets, right? Did not occur to me to try to find someone with one of those pets. And here I am trying to find something with a Pioneer Dragon to hatch with.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
jennid22 wrote:

Ok, then can you please tell me how to do it right? I just dont understand it, I have 9 magma, 7 zillas, and many others. I do have 8 defender pigs and the best one as of yet, gives me 9 resist, and basically 118 health, that is it. I did not even realize that there was a Power to all!! How stupid am I?

So can you please give some suggestions on how to hatch the right kind of pet that you are looking for? For instance my friend wanted a magma we have hatched sooooo many times, that is the reason for so many that I have. None of which are what I want. I do wish that I would have had the tickets to get it before the update. I missed it by ONE day...so no pips and resist. I did not find that fair at all. Espeically with all the hard work you do in pvp just to get it....

Jenna

It's going to depend a lot on your 'stable' of pets, and the characteristics the Magma pet has to begin with.

It is unfortunate that the arena ticket pets have the same 'random set' that gold and crown pets have. Friendly the Necromancer got the same issue with his Dark Crow.

But here is a good start:

Take a look at the traits does the Magma Colossus have to begin with? Since you have multiples, take a look at the traits and the pedigree of all of them. Basically, you're going to need to 'cull' your collection until you find the Colossus with the 'best' trait set. It will be especially important to find one that does not have 'canny' active.

Spell proof is an epic trait - keep an eye out for progeny that have that Epic slot in their Trait list. This is going to be your Colossus breeder.

If you do not have a Colossus that does not have these characteristics, you only really have three options:
* Go to wizard 101 central or another fan site and advertise for a fire colossus on one of the pet hatchery boards until you find one that has traits you want, and cross breed in the hopes of getting better stats
* buy another Magma Colossus and hope you get better stats
* farm a boss specifically for a fire pet, train only to adult, looking specifically for desirable traits (I'd personally keep an eye out of fire-shot)

Basically, before you can 'fold in' a desirable trait, you really need to maximize the traits on your base. This is going to take a lot of time, and a lot of gold. Plan accordingly. If both pets have an active trait, it will likely pass to the child. That means you want to 'double up' on those traits as much as possible.

Since you have a Firezilla with a desirable and an undesirable trait, you are going to have to do the same thing with it - cross firezillas until you get an adult with spell proof and a desirable second talent. The pet hatchery boards will help here as well.

The good news here is that spell-proof is a sufficiently desirable trait that you are likely going to find somebody that is willing to gamble to get it into the bloodline.

Once you have _only_ desirable traits active on both sides, then you breed.

Again, this is going to take a lot of time and money, especially because you are looking for one specific talent. It will be frustrating. It will be expensive.

Only you can decide if it is worthwhile.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
ic0517 wrote:
No worries.
Wait for Celestia.

Wow, I am already on information overload with those two statements.

Silly me, I was debating trying to hatch between my Satyr with Spritely and Storm Cat with Storm Aura, and wondering if off spring would have both. I am just not thinking big enough, am I?

Spell Proof, Pain Giver, I had seen those a while ago, they were on older pets, right? Did not occur to me to try to find someone with one of those pets. And here I am trying to find something with a Pioneer Dragon to hatch with.

No, Think Bigger, I have a Damp Demon, with the Dragon Blade, that has Spell Proof, Storm Aura, Spritely, and Health Gift.

I also Have another Damp Demon, with Storm giver, storm shot, storm trap and pips.

You can make your pets the way you want them, but it takes a lot of time and hatching with parents that have the talents you want. So keep farming the Ravens and hatching with parents that have great talents, not selfish ones!