Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical and Block System

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Diego the Duelmaster's quest will give you the following information.

A Critical is an especially excellent cast of the spell, with exceptional results.
Many spells, including attacks, heals or even steals, can potentially be Critical.

A Critical damage spell can do great damage to your opponent, while a Critical heal is especially beneficial! Your chance to achieve a Critical improves with your abilities, and equipment or enchantments can increase it further.

But do not become carried away with your new-found power! There is a counter to the Critical - the Block!

A Block reduces the likelihood of a successful Critical. Blocks only affect Criticals....they have no effect on normal successes.

community@wizard101.com
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:

A Critical is an especially excellent cast of the spell, with exceptional results.
Many spells, including attacks, heals or even steals, can potentially be Critical.

A Critical damage spell can do great damage to your opponent, while a Critical heal is especially beneficial! Your chance to achieve a Critical improves with your abilities, and equipment or enchantments can increase it further.

But do not become carried away with your new-found power! There is a counter to the Critical - the Block!

A Block reduces the likelihood of a successful Critical. Blocks only affect Criticals....they have no effect on normal successes.

Thank you for the information, but I think the question I still have (and I think everyone else does as well) is what do the numbers mean. I don't understand how the calculation to determine a critical is done, how the number affects it, or how the same thing is calculated for a block. If you have any additional information, I would welcome hearing it.

Armiger
May 10, 2010

Yeah, Yeah, we heard that part already. Okay, let me put this in lamens terms. If I try for a critical hit, and I dont have any critical hit bonus, is it possible, or am I at a 0 percent. If I have a +15 to critical hit, is that 15 percent, or 5 percent, cause I see things you can buy that give +120, is that 100%, what is the coversion rate? is there one, what do we base our knowledge on. is +120 based on a possible 1000, or 150, or what? Not even sure if that is lamen enough, but it is the best I can do. Your Programmers had to put a possible point spread in, to give the +15 or +120 to be an increase chance, so, how much of an increase is it?

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
It is still confusing as to what it does, and more importanting, when critical hits and blocks take place. Try adding a demonstration in the arena like you did the level 5 combat training.

You did not add any explaination to the Combat page of our Players Guide about Critical Hits and Blocks.
If you get a critical hit it's +100% to your attack or heal. If you block a critical it just doesn't critical on you.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Runeraem wrote:
It seems like a cool concept but I honestly don't see the significance of the critical/block system if you could explain what it's suppose to add to the gameplay that would be nice. I just don't see the purpose of it.

It makes dueling more unpredictable and exciting, adding to the fun level.
I personally love the addition.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
bravevline wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:
It is still confusing as to what it does, and more importanting, when critical hits and blocks take place. Try adding a demonstration in the arena like you did the level 5 combat training.

You did not add any explaination to the Combat page of our Players Guide about Critical Hits and Blocks.
If you get a critical hit it's +100% to your attack or heal. If you block a critical it just doesn't critical on you.

I believe the confusion is not what the damage modifier is if its successful, its what the numbers mean in your gear. For instance, how do I know what +20 ice critical means and how does it affect my chances of scoring a critical hit? There is currently not enough information to evaluate for instance a robe with a +20 critical vs. a robe with a +20% damage resistance. No one has explained well enough how critical hits are calculated so that we can make an informed decision when choosing gear.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I kind of see an attempt at dealing with the issue regarding defenses. Ever since pets, players have been capable of stacking insanely high defense. Some up to 50 percent on all spells because of full arena gear and certain defense based pets.

I could have a ninja pig with my myth grand gear on and time of legend and still do about 70 points under the BASE damage of the spell!

But this seems strange:

The chance for a critical hit or a block is calculated AFTER fizzle and accuracy. When a spell fizzles no calculation for critical hit or block is made.
Charms, Enchantments, Wards, Manipulations and Globals are not subject to the Block / Critical system. Heals cannot be Blocked, but they can Critical!

So if heals cannot be blocked but can be critical, does this mean infection doesn't work?

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Yeah, Yeah, we heard that part already. Okay, let me put this in lamens terms. If I try for a critical hit, and I dont have any critical hit bonus, is it possible, or am I at a 0 percent. If I have a +15 to critical hit, is that 15 percent, or 5 percent, cause I see things you can buy that give +120, is that 100%, what is the coversion rate? is there one, what do we base our knowledge on. is +120 based on a possible 1000, or 150, or what? Not even sure if that is lamen enough, but it is the best I can do. Your Programmers had to put a possible point spread in, to give the +15 or +120 to be an increase chance, so, how much of an increase is it?

Haha, I brought out my calculator for that. 15 is 3% of 500. So the critical and block system is based on 500 points. Of what, I have no real idea. But after going through some parts of celestia and getting into the swing of things, I was also blown away by the insanely high percent boosts the gear there is now giving to attack spells and healing spells and the amount of health that is being give to wizards from the gear.

It looks like there is going to be some competition between the overall attack percentage boosts and the whole critical block system. This is kind of tricky because now players are divided in choosing:

Do I want overall high attack boosts to all of my attacks, or do I want critical to my attacks? I see some conflict there. At least for wizards who try to balance everything out and try to squeeze the most power they can out of their wizards.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

I think we all have heard what Diego had to say vis-à-vis the critical hit/block. We understand that it increases the amount of damage you deal to your opponent (critical hit) or it cancels the hit altogether (critical block). We also know that heal spells cannot be blocked but can be critical. Stealing a ward from an opponent can be critical too (whatever that means-do we steal all their wards?).

What we do not understand-please someone from faculty explain this- is how is it calculated? If I do not have any critical gear on can I still get a critical hit/ block? If I have +15 critical rating, what does that mean? I mean how is the hit rate calculated?

Once again the numeric values of the critical rating have us all confused. Could you please clarify that aspect of it? Normally when you have 50% or more pip chance, you get a power pip almost every turn but even with critical gear and elixir of vengeance, you hardly ever get a critical hit. So please explain the number dynamics for us so that we can understand.

For the time being, I am not sacrificing health, manna, boost, accuracy and resistance for a critical hit rating system that does seems to be working except for the monsters.

You attention to the specifics of this matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Logan Frost

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
I think I figured out the percentage spell for critical rating that players are talking about.

There is a star spell called Aura of Vengeance ( Orange ) - This grants the player a 20% boost to their critical hit chance.

Now my understanding is that it's not a critical hit rating spell. What is does is boost your critical rating by 20%. For example, if your critical rating overall is +20 then the aura of vengeance would increase it to +24. Therefore, while you have the Aura of Vengeance activated, you critical hit rating would be +24 until the Aura wears off which would return the rating to +20.

The numeric value are still a maze......

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
This whole critical system is very new and I am very willing to see what KingIsle has in store for it, if any changes are to be made in the coming weeks/months. But the way criticals and critical blocks are treated means this is going to open the door to a whole mess of new creative items to put on a character. Creating new gear to now fit criticals as well as attack percentage boosts and defenses is just going to get messy I think.

I would have preferred KingIsle keeping tight control over the critical and critical block system versus giving wizards the control over something like this. I am all for criticals being added to attacks. But it should have been added as an inherent trait to our schools. In a way, use it to help define specific school traits and help them develop a stronger reputation as whatever it is a certain school is meant to be.
Example:
Storm is a powerhouse, with very strong spells, spells so tough they dont even need blades to break down their opponents, just grand gear and a storm bubble.
Myth is designed to rip through defenses, and offenses. It can even over power opponents with double teaming through the use of minions.

These two schools would have a high inherent critical ability. By high I mean somewhere between 5-7%, fixed to their schools attack spells. And this would not be applied to the cards but the school itself. Just as power pips only work for cards that match a school, critical and critical block would be tied the same way.

As far as the critical block, of course Ice would be the counter there with its critical block rating at 5-7%, but to the wizard her/himself. to counter the critical attack level of myth and storm.

This is only an idea and I wanted to post it out here on this thread before it vanishes or something.

I personally would have preferred KI keeping tight control over something like this. Especially with the high damage boost that critical can cause to attacks.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
I'm totally confused. Is this Critical and Block System for PvP or PvE or Both?

Survivor
Aug 01, 2010
darthjt wrote:

If someone from KI could please post a conversion chart from the standard numbers to the percentage crit it would be most appreciated. That would eliminate all of these questions and satisfy your loyal followers. As of right now it is anyone's guess as to how the numbers correlate to a percentage to crit.

Survivor
May 31, 2008
It’s good to see so many people are taking interest in the Critical Hit system. Let me see if I can help out with some more information.

First of all, yes the ability to earn Criticals or Block incoming Criticals is gained exclusively through equipment and Elixirs. You don’t gain any inherent ability through leveling, so be on the lookout for powerful Celestia equipment that will boost these values for you.

Second, a critical rating translates to a percentage chance to gain a critical attack based on the players level so there is no quick and easy math as to how it translates into a bonus. Higher level players will require slightly more critical rating gear to have the same chance as a lower level player. Of course, at higher levels better gear is available anyway and the damage boosts you gain on Rank 8 spells like Leviathan can be enormous.

Finally, a Block is an opportunity to nullify your opponent’s critical hits. The higher your block rating, the less likely it is that an opponent will land a critical strike on you. This uses a rating system and scales in a similar way to the Critical system. Some of the most powerful monsters in Celestia have a Block chance in addition to their Critical chance.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Professor Drake wrote:
It’s good to see so many people are taking interest in the Critical Hit system. Let me see if I can help out with some more information.

First of all, yes the ability to earn Criticals or Block incoming Criticals is gained exclusively through equipment and Elixirs. You don’t gain any inherent ability through leveling, so be on the lookout for powerful Celestia equipment that will boost these values for you.

Thank you professor Drake for you explanation. We now understand that if we are not wearing any gear or have any equipment that gives a critical rating then we have no chance of doing a critical hit or blocking one. Very Clear on that: NO CRITICAL GEAR/EQUIPMENT, NO CHANCE OF A CRITICAL HIT OR BLOCK.

Second, a critical rating translates to a percentage chance to gain a critical attack based on the players level so there is no quick and easy math as to how it translates into a bonus. Higher level players will require slightly more critical rating gear to have the same chance as a lower level player. Of course, at higher levels better gear is available anyway and the damage boosts you gain on Rank 8 spells like Leviathan can be enormous.

Ok, let me see if I can figure this out. Are you saying that a +15 critical rating automatically translates to 15% critical rating? And are you saying that a level 48 wizard has a higher chance of scoring a critical hit than a higher level 52 Wizard even if they have the same critical rating? Ok lets say I have a +15 myth critical rating. If i use medusa (750) does that mean a critical hit will be 15% of the 750 which would make a critical hit of 863?

Finally, a Block is an opportunity to nullify your opponent’s critical hits. The higher your block rating, the less likely it is that an opponent will land a critical strike on you. This uses a rating system and scales in a similar way to the Critical system. Some of the most powerful monsters in Celestia have a Block chance in addition to their Critical chance.

We understand that a critical block simply cancels the boost from a critical hit and reduces it to the normal attack amount. So if the normal hit would be 1000 and a critical would make it 1500 and you critical block, then the hit would revert back to 1000. Is this correct?

My response is in BOLD. just trying to understand the critical system :)

Survivor
May 07, 2010
I've said it before on other threads, say it here, I've yet to see any player score a critical hit or block.

And if, as some are saying, it only works with crowns potions, that defeats the purpose of the concept of gear. In fact this whole system defeats the concept of gear upgrades. I've played other games and they never make you choose between health or stats.

The devs had a notion that everyone would look out for one another while playing with critical/no health gear. That isn't happening. What is happening is that players let one poor bugger take all the mega critical hits the NPCs dish out and dying so they can score their big hits.

This better not be an undercover nerf for Storm players. I've never been so happy to see them since this area opened up.

I'm not even going to get into a complaint about PvP bright ideas mucking up PvE play.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
OK, Now, lets begin this with, the Critical Hit rating systems works off of 500 Points. So, right off the bat, we get a chance of 3% from the 15 points that Diego the Duel Master gives us. For some reason, this was the information that Greyrose, Zeke, and the rest of the Professors failed to give us, no matter how many times we asked them. Sorry Professors, but it is time for your students to become the teachers.

Now, For the Critical Block rating system, I am not sure what number they went off of, I guess 400 would be the closest number, but that is not accurate either. I got a +49 Critical Block Boot, that gives me 13%. But 13% of 400 is 52 and not 49, but you know how this game is with rounding. Because, you can have a pet say it gives you +5, but it is actually +4.81 or something like that. And of course when the game goes to calculate its percentages and ratings, it always lowers it. So a 90% is more like 60%. Lol don't get me started.

Anyway, This is for all the people that want to know more about the Critical Attack and Critical Block, I would Use 500 as Base Scale for the Attack and 400 as Base Scale for the Block. If you can ever get that many points, you will be at, or should be anyways, 100%.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
kaskait wrote:
I've said it before on other threads, say it here, I've yet to see any player score a critical hit or block.

And if, as some are saying, it only works with crowns potions, that defeats the purpose of the concept of gear. In fact this whole system defeats the concept of gear upgrades. I've played other games and they never make you choose between health or stats.

The devs had a notion that everyone would look out for one another while playing with critical/no health gear. That isn't happening. What is happening is that players let one poor bugger take all the mega critical hits the NPCs dish out and dying so they can score their big hits.

This better not be an undercover nerf for Storm players. I've never been so happy to see them since this area opened up.

I'm not even going to get into a complaint about PvP bright ideas mucking up PvE play.

Wait for new gear to be released and level up some more. It would have been nice if critical was just an inherent part of wizards but it is not.
We have to put on clothes for criticals. I have had criticals because of my gear and not potions. Potions boost the chance of the criticals but you do get criticals from the gear.

Criticals will boost an extra hundred percent to the attack.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Professor Drake wrote:

then you better rewrite what Diego says, because as it is now he states:
At your level of skill, now you are capable of a new result when you are dueling ... the Critical! A Critical is an especially excellant cast of the spell, with exceptional results. Many spells, including attacks, heals, or even steals, can potentially Critical. A Critical damage spell can do great damage to your opponent, while a Critical heal is especially beneficial.

You chance to achieve a Critical improves with your abilities, and equipment or enchantments can increase it further!

Now, that tells me something very different than what you just posted about how we gain the ability to do Critical.

Professor Drake wrote:

If I don't gain any inherent ability through leveling, how can my level come into play at all?!?!? Are you now stating that whatever Critical value my equipment gives me may not actually be the Critical value I get because of what level my wizard is? And how can leveling up (becoming more proficient) decrease my chances of doing "an exceptionally excellant" cast of a spell?

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
Professor Drake wrote:

Thank you for this information Cyrus. I have a question though, as the Critical Block explanation is a bit Vague.

Exactly how does Critical Block work in relation to Critical Attack. Assuming our Wizards are the same level, if my Opponent has 80 Critical Attack and I have 90 Critical Block, is it possible for them to land a Critical Attack on me at all at that point? Or does it just represent a percentage of the time that Critical Attack will be blocked, in the event that it happens? If it is a percentage, how does this scale to Critical Attack. If 140 Attack is 30%, Is 140 block a 30% chance that it will be blocked?

Thank you for any information you can give on this matter. I'm attempting to write a short guide to help PvP players grasp the Critical system, but this is a key piece of information that we are missing.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2008
I love the Critical + Block system espically when you get the Critical i mean wow such a great hit :-)!

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
I used a training point on the first level spell from Diago.

I have figured out that I can only add it to a shield or blade-type spell.

But is this useless if I don't have any critical or block rating from equipment? So far, at level 52, I haven't found any equipment to match or excel over what I have from level 50 and Crown gear. (I am no good at the arena stuff.)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
cealwutka wrote:
I used a training point on the first level spell from Diago.

I have figured out that I can only add it to a shield or blade-type spell.

But is this useless if I don't have any critical or block rating from equipment? So far, at level 52, I haven't found any equipment to match or excel over what I have from level 50 and Crown gear. (I am no good at the arena stuff.)

What is the name of the spell? Is it cloak? If so, its for use in the arena to prevent people from knowing what you're casting. As far as I know, it doesn't have any real use outside the arena.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
I think that the critical block system is broken. As a matter of fact, I think that something is severely wrong with Celestia. One might ask what the basis for this conclusion is. Well, here are my reasons.

In Celestia:

1. You fizzle ALOT
2. Your power pip percentage does not work 100% of the time- you mostly start off with one power pip and one white pip and on occasion two power pips.
3. The mobs always have power pips
4. The mobs chain critical on you. Meaning two mobs will get a critical in the same round or one mob will get a critical two rounds in a row.
5. We rarely get a critical hit- on average once per day
6. Most critical gear does not come with health
7. Sometimes you have to fight the same mobs for hours to get your quest item. The Crustacean Shell breakers (the ice class ones) are a typical example.
8. Myth class are always using earthquake and they seem to always have 3 power pips, don't ask me how.
9. The ice class are spamming tower shields left, right and centre and then they stun you and they use Ice Kraken almost every round, not sure how they manage to do that.
10. Bosses can use level 7 spells without any pips!

And the list goes on.

Why is it that we do not get critical as much as the mobs and last time I checked, they not wearing critical gear?

I gave up 300 health just to get a critical rating of +44 myth and guess what? I can't remember the last time i had a critical hit and when I do, I can't even enjoy it because they just critical blocked it :(

Something happened to Celestia when it went live. I do NOT recall having such a difficult time playing on test. The mobs hardly ever have to build up pips, every round they can hit you for at least 500 health and storm will probably do 700.

The mobs are wiping the floor with us. I keep dying at every turn even in a 4 on 4 duels which is not cool. Sometimes if only one of us get a critical it would be enough but nope, we all saying critical critical but we fizzle and the mob critical hit us.

This needs to be fix or taken out of the game completely. Why do the mobs need to critical anyways when they are using the zilla and krakens like they are on a blow out sale!

Please address the critical system issue, make it a part of every wizards ability or give us higher ratings on our gear with better health boosts.

It is NOT worth sacrificing up to 500 health for a system that is flawed.

I am getting real frustrated in Celestia right now. The level 58 gear is a joke. I can craft way better gear if I manage to get the impossible reagents to be a master Artisan.

The critical system is not working right, most things in Celestia is not working right, why are we fizzling 3 times in a row? This never used happened before, why now? The monsters have gotten stronger so why haven't we.

Most people I've met are so afraid to jump in a duel by themselves. Why hasn't the balanced tipped a little to our side? I feel like am a level 1 wizard in Celestia even though I have moved beyond the Grandmaster level. This cannot be right.

Fix our accuracy, give is our critical, put better health on the critical gear and I’d say we are even.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
Professor Drake wrote:

then you better rewrite what Diego says, because as it is now he states:
At your level of skill, now you are capable of a new result when you are dueling ... the Critical! A Critical is an especially excellant cast of the spell, with exceptional results. Many spells, including attacks, heals, or even steals, can potentially Critical. A Critical damage spell can do great damage to your opponent, while a Critical heal is especially beneficial.

You chance to achieve a Critical improves with your abilities, and equipment or enchantments can increase it further!

Now, that tells me something very different than what you just posted about how we gain the ability to do Critical.

Professor Drake wrote:

If I don't gain any inherent ability through leveling, how can my level come into play at all?!?!? Are you now stating that whatever Critical value my equipment gives me may not actually be the Critical value I get because of what level my wizard is? And how can leveling up (becoming more proficient) decrease my chances of doing "an exceptionally excellant" cast of a spell?

Very good questions. I'd love to hear the response. This critical system is as confusing as ever.

It is nice when you get a critical hit but it is such a rare occurence that it's not worth the bother.