Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused on pets...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
I bought a pet with crowns, leveled it up to adult and then expected it to start helping me someway in fights. Instead it does the same thing it did when it was a baby, which is to say, nothing...

I have seen other's pets cast spells for their owners, so I assume I must be doing something wrong. Can someone help here? How do I get my pet to help me in any way in combat?

Survivor
Jun 07, 2008
Mielikki wrote:
I bought a pet with crowns, leveled it up to adult and then expected it to start helping me someway in fights. Instead it does the same thing it did when it was a baby, which is to say, nothing...

I have seen other's pets cast spells for their owners, so I assume I must be doing something wrong. Can someone help here? How do I get my pet to help me in any way in combat?

Hi. Some pets have the ability to cast spells some have other abilities like give you mana, health, or resist. Not all pets have the same talents, maybe your pet didn't get that talent or you can try to level it up to ancient or epic the older the pet gets the more talents he gets.

Thanks Wizard101 for everything :)

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Depends on the Talents that manifested.
Help in battle requires active Talents to manifest, like Fire-Giver, Fire-Proof, Fire-Shot, Health Gift or Elf-On-Fire.
Passive Talents, like Spirited, Tenacious and Astute, help indirectly by boosting the potential bonus% of the associated active Talents that manifest.

If you just have two passive Talents at Adult, you won't receive any combat benefits, yet.
I would choose a cheap to learn about how Talents and Hatching works.
You may want to wait until the Test Realm opens again (should be soon) to check to see if it's worth the effort to raise your crowns pet to Ancient or Epic.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
First you may have to age it to 'epic' in order for the pet to manifest a more helpful talent. However you have to realize that all pets don't have to ability to interact and provide support. Some do, some don't, some have the potential to via hatching. So even if you do age it further, it may not do what you expect it to do.

Disappointing, yes, but that's the way the system is designed. I have issues with it too, but that's a discussion for another thread.

My Jade Oni, purchased with crowns, gives me extra precision, extra force and shields, but doesn't help me in a fight. My dropped death ghoul, gives me the 'may cast ward' talent and has at times, given me a death shield.

Training your pet unlocks different talents, but they are random. There are no guarantees you will get what you want, without hatching or trying again with a different pet. Sometimes you may get what you want when you reach teen, or adult or epic or never.

You give the impression that you think a pet will actively help you combat and that's just not the case. The best case scenario is that it will occasionally cast a ward, or maybe a blade; but the system seems to be buggy at this time. Truth be told, you would be better off using a minion if you have one, until they (KI) fixes the pet system, which I understand they are planning to do.

You need to do a little research and see which pet is known to have the talents you want and then collect them and see what happens. You could very well may be able to 'breed' those traits onto your crown pet and have what you want.

Which pet do you have btw?

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
I'm going to assume you bought a Green Cat Thug.

It's the only crown pet that comes with a card that is purchasable with crowns. The card expresses at ancient.

Pets typically help their wizards through their active pet talents. Individual pets will present with active talents that reflect their school. In this example, The Green Cat Thug will express a random set of life talents and general talents like mana gift and life gift.

How much those manifested talents will assist you in battle will likely be relative to your character and his needs.

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
How do you get a stormzilla?
Are they in pet shops or do you win from a boss?
What world would I get one from?

Please someone reply to me..... Thanks
Robert Seacatcher

xrob1 wrote:
How do you get a stormzilla?
Are they in pet shops or do you win from a boss?
What world would I get one from?

Please someone reply to me..... Thanks
Robert Seacatcher

Unless you have a level 48 Storm Wizard, you don't.
Some pets are school specific and must be earned at level 48 by that particular school of Wizard. The Stormzilla is the Storm School restricted pet.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.