Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
Okay, I use Text Chat because I am a kid. I am 11 and use Text Chat because I'm responsible enough to use it, so my mom enabled it. I don't like the fact with Text Chat that you can't use numbers, but I know that prevents younger kids giving out their addresses and phone numbers to online predators, so I wouldn't give up my convienience for some young kid's sake. Great job with the filter, KI!

I think a reasonable punishment for those who have paid accounts and behave wrong would have their account deleted but keep paying until the end of the month/year/whatever. This way, KI (kind of) doesn't lose money and the parents will learn about this, and probably make the child pay for the subscription using their allowance, or the adult use their own money. Sounds like a reasonable punishment to me. :-)

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
I think the chat is pretty good But some times i hear people find there way to get the sware words in. That is what bothers me. Cause there are allot of younger kids playing this game like me and It happens allot when people get mad at some one. I think that when some one is bothering some one then that person shouldnt start swaring at them they can just ignore them, report them, or switch realms, thats just my opinion.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
As a mom, and having attended classes on internet safety for kids, I have on one occassion run into a conversation that made my "special mom senses" ring. It just seemed right out of those role playing demonstrations of how adults talk to children when they are preying on them.

What is the best way to report something of that nature. Nothing that someone should necessarily be in touble for, immediately, but something that the people at Wizard101 might want to investigate for the safety of the children online.

Thanks.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
nimbysep wrote:
please please please i beg you add some thing s to the menu chat
1) ask before porting
2) please do not port
3) stop spamming me for friend requeat
4) sorry my friend list is full
5) i only play with adults
6) if you port you must stay
7) if you port you must stay to end of instance level
8) i can't help you know but i will later

I know i am not the only one who has died because of port and run people
I have gotten killed lots of times by people doing that :? so you not the only one

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
i am a kid who plays this game and i have never seen the bad language that has been reported. i promise you if wizard101 takes text chat away you will lose almost all of your players i know me,my brother and my best friend will stop. i dont think you want to lose your players.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
is it ok to report some one for false reporting because when i am running around wizard city and other places in the spiral some one will report me even though i havent said anything or done anything wrong i know who does it because clearly it is who it is.

Administrator
Here's the message direct from Mr Lincoln.

We here at KingsIsle Entertainment take reports of inappropriate language and violation of the Terms of Use very seriously. We’ve received report(s) from this account in the past few days and have determined, based on full review of the chat logs, no violation actually occurred as was reported. Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:
  • “S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

• “Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

• “Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

• “Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

• “Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

• “Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

Again, we do appreciate you wanting to make Wizard City the best it can be, however, we need the reporting feature to function as a mechanism to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Explorer
Mar 19, 2009
i am lost. maybe that person is right. if they are finding their wya AROUND the disabled word it tecnicly isn't bad but idk. i am no parent or anything just a teen who is obbsessed with the game but i just don't think that is is really swearing or anything if it is allowed in the chat log, thats all thx for the support.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
What i don't get is how you tell if a person is lying when reporting you. Like i have text chat and i was talking battle tactics with my friend during battle and it said i had been reported even though i did not use bad language. I just wanna know how you determine these things because i nearly got banned and i wanna make sure that guy is suspended or something

But other than that the system is fine and for all the adults saying it bad, it not, i mean, teens and kids will be teens and kids and find a way to break the filter but you should not get them expelled for life for saying a little word unless they use it constantly or turn it into something really bad. like my friends on it will say a little thing once in a while but its not like i expel them for one little thing because we are growing up and, you know, we will be kids. ;)

P.S. Kids rock! 8)

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
mastriani3 wrote:

Secondly, I feel that people should be able to report others for non sportsman ship behavior, and/or being disrespectful to other players. For example, just today my husband and I ran into two individuals who were very disrespectful and began finding ways to curse without being able to actually type the words. (I will not repeat exactly what they said because there are children who read these forums, and I refuse to expose them to that kind of language). Since I am an adult, I did not get overly offended by there language, but my son leaded over to read my screen read what they said, which made it a larger issue. When I reported the two individuals, they just laughed it off and continuted to smart mouth.

I have seen people do this too is it a ban-able offense? It some times bugs me.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
I feel the same way all you people feel. I think whoever swears ( badly) should get kicked off. I see people swear every day. It just gets out of hand, right? Well I see adults that are sometimes drunk or just plane mean. And they SWEAR to the KIDS for no reson. I think PARENTS should get the rites to do more than just report, like just mute, and if they false mute its up to Kingsisle. Well I think its a GOOD IDEA what about you wizards and parents?

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Skha wrote:
As I can see where many, many of you are coming from, I for one do not approve of the chatting system. Though I do understand that it gives parents a peace of mind, it also extremely complicates discussion.
In order to use numbers one must say things such as 'One, to, tree, for, fifth, sixth,' and so on. When discussing how many health points an opponent has, this proves extremely difficult.
Though I have seen some players talking explicitly, (I would have reported them, had I been a member at that time, but I was not), it's just a matter of another online game. Even with the reporting and such, it will be impossibly to completely fish these people out of the system.

I think there should be different levels of filtered chat. I believe members should have the chance to decide exactly how much of their chat is filtered and if they feel the need to speak sexually or explicitly, then they, in fact, should be banned. But it should not be that difficult to talk about food, or numbers.
why dont you aprove of it? I:

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
i ran into some one who false reported. is was a girl ( i think) these to people were talking and one said " hey some one reported me!" then the other person said the same thing. so i ported to my home so i didnt get reported asa well. they also said nothing bad. noah wind shield level 49 level

Explorer
May 04, 2009
i agree. i hear many wizards using inappropriate language. thank you for settling this mrlincoln.

i've reported everyone who has used this language.

Explorer
May 04, 2009
many students have not been forced to use this language, they have just been unweary of their chat usage

if you see anyone using explicit language, come back to the website and say:

" I have seen people using explicit language and I have reported him or her for this manner" and then just do this " "

Survivor
Jul 19, 2008
what gamma says is true his right i mean people i think its cause they would give out phone numbers and then that would be bad

Explorer
May 04, 2009
i dont think there are any ways or combinations of using bad language, yet i do hear them ( finding ) ways of this usage.

i dont understand why they would do that though.

i cant believe it!

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
Skha wrote:
As I can see where many, many of you are coming from, I for one do not approve of the chatting system. Though I do understand that it gives parents a peace of mind, it also extremely complicates discussion.
In order to use numbers one must say things such as 'One, to, tree, for, fifth, sixth,' and so on. When discussing how many health points an opponent has, this proves extremely difficult.
Though I have seen some players talking explicitly, (I would have reported them, had I been a member at that time, but I was not), it's just a matter of another online game. Even with the reporting and such, it will be impossibly to completely fish these people out of the system.

I think there should be different levels of filtered chat. I believe members should have the chance to decide exactly how much of their chat is filtered and if they feel the need to speak sexually or explicitly, then they, in fact, should be banned. But it should not be that difficult to talk about food, or numbers.

i ttly agree members should have the right to chose their own lvl of chat and if a member violates the rules it is one's responsibility to report them if you dont wizard 101 monitors all the chats and should be able to catch it

Explorer
Mar 19, 2009
zebrie wrote:
Maybe I haven't done this properly, but I see no difference in my true friend chat (I have one) and the online friends I chat with. i.e. players that i do not know in real life, but are part of my friends list.

I would GREATLY prefer to be able to click on 'text chat' for my true friend (and NO ONE BUT my tre friend would see it on text chat) and be able to type whatever I want. My true friend already know my phone number, my address and my sense of humor.

Is that how True friend chat should work and we just haven't activated the code properly? If not, I would REALLY like to see that change made, then we could say what we want and no one would be in danger or offended or anything else.
I love this idea and feel the same way! My True friends are my best friends and i would love to talk to them freely. It would be a lot easier to say tell them what i was having for dinner or to remind them of my address, please take my idea into thought thank you!

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
Resetti123 wrote:
Okay, I use Text Chat because I am a kid. I am 11 and use Text Chat because I'm responsible enough to use it, so my mom enabled it. I don't like the fact with Text Chat that you can't use numbers, but I know that prevents younger kids giving out their addresses and phone numbers to online predators, so I wouldn't give up my convienience for some young kid's sake. Great job with the filter, KI!

I think a reasonable punishment for those who have paid accounts and behave wrong would have their account deleted but keep paying until the end of the month/year/whatever. This way, KI (kind of) doesn't lose money and the parents will learn about this, and probably make the child pay for the subscription using their allowance, or the adult use their own money. Sounds like a reasonable punishment to me. :-)
I think not the punishment for people who paid should be a little bit less severe if they couldnt control their typing and ended up typing a bad word by accident (which might be you and me) is to get their account suspended for a little bit and give them a warning

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
stormwizard102 wrote:

I think a reasonable punishment for those who have paid accounts and behave wrong would have their account deleted but keep paying until the end of the month/year/whatever.

There are all sorts of legal considerations. You can't sell someone something, then take it away yet keep making them pay for it. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

As it is, because people pay real world money for a product at all, if KI doesn't provide that product (I. E. delete the account and all the items that were bought for crowns) there's still a serious possibility of a lawsuit that the company might very well not win. To delete the account yet keep making people pay for it is a guarantee of court dates and real world judicial punishments for K.I.

Explorer
Nov 14, 2010
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!

I have read many thread at were someone is falsley reported and then they are muted or banned for doing things like teleporting or talking or even running through the commons. Like for some accronims YOU allowed like WTG wich means wow thats good or WTS for wow that stinks. what is your thought on that?

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
87GN wrote:
I see no reason why a system could not be implemented to allow persons to type numbers. You have a parental control system that allows the complete cut off of chat already in place. This is one extra step.

Hi,

Members who are 18 and older can have open chat, which does allow numbers and pretty much whatever you want to say. Anything that is a bannable offence will show up in red font, so you know it's bad. Players with menu chat cannot see your words and players with filtered chat cannot see words in yellow font. Thus, there are three levels of chat. For private conversations, click the player's name in your list and then send a text message. It will show up on the left side of the window, and is private player-to-player conversation.

Iridian/Scarlet/Rowan/Moira