Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 10, 2010

First off, none of my wizards have ever gotten a pet from the genie in the lamp. they've gotten pet snacks ,reagents, and gold, but no pet.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Survivor
Sep 17, 2011
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello Students!

I'd like to take a moment and offer a friendly reminder that ALL filtered chat is monitored and every report of misconduct is thoroughly investigated.

The faculty at Ravenwood has made allowances in the chat filter to offer a measure of open communication between wizards, and we believe that Ravenwood students are quite capable of using the chat system appropriately.

Please note, however, that any attempt to circumvent the filter or engage in improper dialogue can result in the loss of filtered chat privileges or full suspension from school (this includes exchanging of personal information, harassment of other wizards or other inappropriate dialogue*).

Also, those students that choose to harass other players by issuing false reports will be dealt with directly as well.

Wizard101 is a game for all to enjoy and you doing your part to keep Wizard City and all the other worlds a wizard-friendly place is sincerely appreciated by the faculty and fellow wizards!

Thank you for your time students! Back to your studies!

* Refer to Terms of Use for further detail

I think that you should be able to say anything unless they are cuss words are they have something to do about god or jesus but words like sucks,lame, and other similar or long words should be able to be used. Also it should not do the spelling thing that you have to spell it correctly to be able to say it well its just too much.

Luke Skywalker level 22 fire

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
Hey All

I am a myth 46 lvl that played the game solo so far till i reached dragonspyre and realized it would be much faster if played with a group. So i started looking for someone but dragonspyre was completely empty for 15 minutes. So i wondered why there isnt a main chat for all worlds so that anyone can see the "help being asked" and respond. I went to Commons and Pet Pavillion but there where only low levels that would make it harder cause i had to keep them alive too!

So my point here is either you have guilds in a game or a nice general-all worlds chat so people find each other when they trying to do something, or what i would wish for is both, then wiz101 would be much much better in communication. I kinda hate the fact that you cant write many words and again wonder why there is not a setting that allows old enough players to change those chat rules and be able to see the "..." words that are be written in chat????

I hope i wrote this comment in the right place and would really like people to comment on these. I dont think i am the only one that thinks some options like those would make wizard101 a better game!!!

Thanks for reading this

Wolf Mistwhisper lvl46 Myth

Survivor
Aug 06, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).
Ok I want to talk a little freely but I cant i tried to become member and i still can not type.Please some one reply with help.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
First of all, I am 38 and at times can cuss like a sailor in the real world. I am new to the game, but familiar with and played just about all MMOs. I have REALLY been enjoying W101. At first, I hated the chat system due to it's strict limitations. However, I started to appreciate not having to hear all the garbage I normally hear in every other MMO.

I enjoyed this game enough to become a member, as well as getting my wife to play alongside me. I have no doubt the chat system helps keep the chat clean and gives parent a little relief. For me, it's simply not having to see the flow of nonsense that makes you wonder why people are even in a particular game, when a chat room would serve their purpose better.

At worst, not being able to type numbers can be cumbersome, but not a deal breaker. All in all, a great game with a chat filter that has grown on me.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello Students!

I'd like to take a moment and offer a friendly reminder that ALL filtered chat is monitored and every report of misconduct is thoroughly investigated.

The faculty at Ravenwood has made allowances in the chat filter to offer a measure of open communication between wizards, and we believe that Ravenwood students are quite capable of using the chat system appropriately.

Please note, however, that any attempt to circumvent the filter or engage in improper dialogue can result in the loss of filtered chat privileges or full suspension from school (this includes exchanging of personal information, harassment of other wizards or other inappropriate dialogue*).

Also, those students that choose to harass other players by issuing false reports will be dealt with directly as well.

Wizard101 is a game for all to enjoy and you doing your part to keep Wizard City and all the other worlds a wizard-friendly place is sincerely appreciated by the faculty and fellow wizards!

Thank you for your time students! Back to your studies!

* Refer to Terms of Use for further detail

Well let me say first off great job with the game. But um only thing I was wondering about was ok you mention that making false reports are bad but it seems like once a false report is made that it takes forever for anything to get done. Only reason i'm saying this is because i got reported on like 5 times in a row by someone i said no to gifting. Aside getting falsely accused he continued doing so just to get his way. Is it me or is it that punishment on fale reporting is kind of slack. That and also even if reports are ture and there are players using foul language or improper language. That when they do get that notice that they been reported instead of stopping they keep on going just to push their luck. I can't speak for anyone else that's in the game but that get's annoying after awhile and it sets a bad example for any child that maybe in the same area. Is it possible to have someone that works with the admin of the game to port in once a report is made just to keep tabs on what is really going on after a report is filed? Lately it just feels like just getting a report is like just getting a slap on the hand and nothing much really happens after it. Sorry to be so blunt about things but these are my opinions and my opinions only. Thanks for your understanding on this matter.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
jayray99 wrote:
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).
Ok I want to talk a little freely but I cant i tried to become member and i still can not type.Please some one reply with help.

Jayray99: do you still need help with this? If so,

You might want to check your options on your account.
Login on this page (box at top left corner).
Click on "My Accounts".
Scroll down to the bottom of your account page to "Unlock Parental Controls", and type in your parental control password .
Now look at your chat options.
If the word "enable" is at the right side of the options, you need to turn on the chat options. Click on the options you want to turn on (and then the word on the right side changes to "disable".)

Now you should be able to type chat in the game. If your press "Enter", when you are in the game, the chat box appears on the bottom of your screen. Just start typing.

If this isn't the problem, you might want to contact Support@wizard101.com. Send them an e-mail and explain the problem to them. Be sure to give them your UserName from the game.

Hope this works for you.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2011
Sure...Give the guys the cooler looking gear...us girls dont matter do we? :x :x You people are biased towards male characters....

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
I am just going to say that I have, since I started playing in March '10, reported at least ten players for creative swearing.

I do agree it isn't the most fair thing that younger players like me (who have a sub) have reached Zafaria (like me) where about 70% of the people have open chat, and since I am definitely NOT 18, I am stuck with text chat. When someone in the Savannah said yesterday, "The chance of getting a staff from these lions is like one in ... ." I had to ask them to rewrite it so I could read it. When they finally explained, I was like, "This isn't fair." Both the chat AND the fact that I have to defeat about 50 lions for the quest.

Now I would like to address the issue in the Commons of Wizard City. Whenever I am on a realm with a status of Full, Crowded, and sometimes even Normal, there are about 10-15 people kongregating in front of Ambrose's building acting like they are on a dating site. How did this happen? Fix this!

My final problem was when I was getting insulted in the GreatSpyre. I was going to check out the new Malistaire animation and there was some Myth guy named Antonio something. His friends ported in and we bashed the first few mobs. Then he started being rude. I had trapped the Gurtok Firebender about four times when he Earthquake'd the enemies. Guess what happened to my traps? They disappeared. I asked why he couldn't just use Medusa and he responded he "didn't like it". During Gurtok Piercer, he used a Medusa and 1-shot the boss. I said, "See? Medusas are good." He said "Lucky critical" and kept being mean. He went into a separate gauntlet when the bosses died. Me and one of his friends battled through Dragon's Maw and halfway through we got the "Door Has Unlocked" message. We split into two groups of two and when me and my partner were down to one dragon, the others finished and started taunting us. My partner fled, and when I scored the winning kill, we proceeded to the Soul Servants. But first, Antonio asked "Where'd Aaron go?" His goon responded, "He was mad cause you dissed him." This drew an "lol" from Antonio. I got mad. Initiating the battle with the Soul Servants, I had bladed and used Vengeance. One of the enemies decided to use a Banshee on Antonio. This brought his HP down from about 2,800 to about 2,500. He screamed "HEAL ME MINDY!" and by then I had eight pips. I drew the life symbol and he said "hope that's a rebirth." When a forest lord came up he reported me! This blew me over and after watching the Malistaire animation I logged off.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
I haven't played wizard101 for a while, so I've heard the are new levels. Whats the max level?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
UncleGlenny wrote:
First of all, I am 38 and at times can cuss like a sailor in the real world. I am new to the game, but familiar with and played just about all MMOs. I have REALLY been enjoying W101. At first, I hated the chat system due to it's strict limitations. However, I started to appreciate not having to hear all the garbage I normally hear in every other MMO.

I enjoyed this game enough to become a member, as well as getting my wife to play alongside me. I have no doubt the chat system helps keep the chat clean and gives parent a little relief. For me, it's simply not having to see the flow of nonsense that makes you wonder why people are even in a particular game, when a chat room would serve their purpose better.

At worst, not being able to type numbers can be cumbersome, but not a deal breaker. All in all, a great game with a chat filter that has grown on me.

UncleGlenny, you can change your chat options for the game in this website. Once you have logged in to the site, go to my accounts. You will find the options that allows you to turn of parental controls and give you open chat. You also need to check it in the ingame options as well to make sure you have both chat options enabled. Once you do this, you will be able to type numbers as well. In your friends list you also have the option for group chat but you have to keep your chat box open at all times. If you find there is offensive language, you can turn off the chat bubbles so you won't be able to see them on screen, but you will still need to keep chat box open in order to communicate with your team mates. (Chat bubbles option is in the options page ingame.) Hope this helps

Defender
May 25, 2009
I'm sorry KingsIsle, but I don't believe you when you say that EVERY report is viewed over. There are MILLIONS of players, and only so many people at KingsIsle. Also, I see bad language every day, and I get false reported all the time. I understand you have bigger priorities than cursing, but it should still be taken care of. I'm sure if every report was taken care of, there would be much less little brats and people overall in the game.

Thanks,
Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist
Gabriel Mythwraith, Grandmaster Diviner.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
saphirathedragon wrote:
I'm sorry KingsIsle, but I don't believe you when you say that EVERY report is viewed over. There are MILLIONS of players, and only so many people at KingsIsle. Also, I see bad language every day, and I get false reported all the time. I understand you have bigger priorities than cursing, but it should still be taken care of. I'm sure if every report was taken care of, there would be much less little brats and people overall in the game.

Thanks,

Saphirathedragon, give KI credit for what they are trying to do. They do have employees that do monitor and view the reports. They also take the appropriate action.

I have been reported too, but that was because I reported someone for swearing in the game. They were just trying to strike back at me.

KI notifies the player of the report in game or by email if they are no longer online.

If you will also notice, those that are swearing in game have found a way around the filters in order to do so. Infact, I saw a player use "S--t" last night by changing the "i" to an "e".

As to calling kids "little brat", please don't do that. You CAN NOT place all kids in the same category, nor can you do the same to adults. Some adults are worse than what the kids come up with.

Defender
May 25, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
saphirathedragon wrote:

Thanks,

Saphirathedragon, give KI credit for what they are trying to do. They do have employees that do monitor and view the reports. They also take the appropriate action.

I have been reported too, but that was because I reported someone for swearing in the game. They were just trying to strike back at me.

KI notifies the player of the report in game or by email if they are no longer online.

If you will also notice, those that are swearing in game have found a way around the filters in order to do so. Infact, I saw a player use "S--t" last night by changing the "i" to an "e".

As to calling kids "little brat", please don't do that. You CAN NOT place all kids in the same category, nor can you do the same to adults. Some adults are worse than what the kids come up with.

I'm not saying EVERY kid is a brat. There are plently of people in this game who are nice and are kids. I'm just saying that if every report was taken care of, there would be a lot less mean people in the game. Sadly though, there are still mean people in the game who curse around the filters and such.

I'm not disrespecting KI, I just find it very unlikely that a single staff team could deal with millions of reports A DAY. I'm sure KI has better things to do like make new worlds and stuff.

Gabriel Mythwraith, Grandmaster Divinier.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Thank for reminding everyone, I've been seeing a lot of rule-breaking in the Commons especially.

Defender
May 17, 2011
Shiningfantasia wrote:
The fact that this game's chat is not just another WoW chat, alone, makes the game worth playing.

Wizard101 has done a very good job.
agreed. i am very glad that wizard101 is not just some WoW clone for kids :D .

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:
Thank for reminding everyone, I've been seeing a lot of rule-breaking in the Commons especially.

Yes, the Commons is where you will find the worst of it, and , occasionally in Olde Town.

I wish there was some other ways of getting to the Pet Pavilion and the Bazaar without having to go through the Commons.

Mastermind
May 02, 2009
joeykelly wrote:
Could Kingsisle make a better Open Chat dictionary? Maybe even monitor every message sent out in the spiral?

Everything that happens in the game is logged and available for our review, including but not limited to all chat, all items and all transactions.
ok so does that that include random chats with no one else there.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
darkjohns wrote:
joeykelly wrote:
Could Kingsisle make a better Open Chat dictionary? Maybe even monitor every message sent out in the spiral?

Everything that happens in the game is logged and available for our review, including but not limited to all chat, all items and all transactions.
ok so does that that include random chats with no one else there.

If you read what Professor Greyrose said: "EVERYTHING thath happens in the game is LOGGED and available for their review, including but not limited to all chat, all items and all transactions."

So, yes, Darkjohns, that does include random chat. That also means that anything you type into chat box when you are alone or praising your pet is logged.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
seems this is doomed to happen everywhere. I see it in every single forum I've ever joined. People can only fight with those in charge. Must you all say that it's not true?

Read. It says everything is AVAILABLE for review, not that everything is reviewed. And I'm sure that many reports and chats are reviewed.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2011

I don't want to be rude to wizard101 in any way shape or form. But I do believe it isn't fair for some of the menu chat users to not be able to talk with people who have text chat.( I am a text chat user myself.) For example: I have friends who are only have menu chat. Sometimes i would like to say something to them that is maybe less specific from a menu chat term. But i can't because they cannot see what i am saying. It just bothers me. I hope wizard101 will maybe consider my complaint.

Thanks!
Scarlet SilverFlame :-) :-) :-) :-)

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
id like to ask that ki constantly monitors the wc commons cause i find that that place is a cess pool people have the dirtiest mouths there that i have ever heard. it needs an admin to monitor them and start handing out mutes maybe then the language will improve and its not just in open cat some stuff they say goes around it although lately i haven't been there to hear it all but last time i was it was disgusting.

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
and by the way i am not talking like one curse word i can be in commons for literally 5 seconds and will hear a barrage of curses this game maybe for kids and adults but the cursing is on a college level i have heard things i didn't hear in high school on this game and have had to force myself to forget them cause they were so bad and that scares me cause my nephews play this game.