Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Students!

I'd like to take a moment and offer a friendly reminder that ALL filtered chat is monitored and every report of misconduct is thoroughly investigated.

The faculty at Ravenwood has made allowances in the chat filter to offer a measure of open communication between wizards, and we believe that Ravenwood students are quite capable of using the chat system appropriately.

Please note, however, that any attempt to circumvent the filter or engage in improper dialogue can result in the loss of filtered chat privileges or full suspension from school (this includes exchanging of personal information, harassment of other wizards or other inappropriate dialogue*).

Also, those students that choose to harass other players by issuing false reports will be dealt with directly as well.

Wizard101 is a game for all to enjoy and you doing your part to keep Wizard City and all the other worlds a wizard-friendly place is sincerely appreciated by the faculty and fellow wizards!

Thank you for your time students! Back to your studies!

* Refer to Terms of Use for further detail

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
I apologize for a semi-derailment here - There was a thread at one time for suggestions about the menu chat. Is that thread still around? I've looked and couldn't find it.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
im not sure "explicit" any kind of dialogue is possible with the amount of words, and combinations, of words filtered out of the chat. i tend to think that is an exageration. while its a good system, and i follow it, im not in agreement with it. but it is a paid service, meaning i dont have to be here, but since i and we all choose to be here we must follow the rules set forth for everybody. i believe the company wishes to protect themselves from any repercussions that may result from exchanging personal information, as is there right. and as far as false reporting, i have been victim to that for denying friend requests. so in this instance i am very satisified with how the staff is handling false reporting. best policy when playing i think, is to just talk about the game. there are plenty of social websites to talk about other stuff.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The fact that this game's chat is not just another WoW chat, alone, makes the game worth playing.

Wizard101 has done a very good job.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2008
grendle wrote:
im not sure "explicit" any kind of dialogue is possible with the amount of words, and combinations, of words filtered out of the chat. i tend to think that is an exageration.

When I said explicit, I meant just that. The conversations were much more sexual. I did not list all that was said in this forum because there are kids that read this site as well and I, as a mother and grand-mother, do not dare expose them to such language. The adminstraters have access of the full chat and I am certain they are not pleased at what they read. Please let's not think of ourselves and be reminded that this games was designed originally for kids with their safty from predators first . If we remember that we will be more compromising of the rules and less critical for our own selfish reasons.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
first, you wont change my opinion, because it is just that. mine. second, i am a parent also, and unlike parents who rely on others to monitor their children, i check up on my own :-)

Survivor
Aug 13, 2008
grendle wrote:
first, you wont change my opinion, because it is just that. mine. second, i am a parent also, and unlike parents who rely on others to monitor their children, i check up on my own :-)

Wizard 101 is a game that gives a parent a peace of mind while their kids are playing and not have them overly concerned about child predators trying to get information from them to use against them . My children that play Wizard 101 are young adults, and my grand-kids are never left alone to play Wizard 101 without their parents being in the same room playing alongside them . I don't think any parent depend on Wizard 101 to monitor their children, but they know they have a peace of mind , unlike any other game online that their child is being protected as a main priorty
during gameplay, ie Filtered-chat.

Administrator
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
As I can see where many, many of you are coming from, I for one do not approve of the chatting system. Though I do understand that it gives parents a peace of mind, it also extremely complicates discussion.
In order to use numbers one must say things such as 'One, to, tree, for, fifth, sixth,' and so on. When discussing how many health points an opponent has, this proves extremely difficult.
Though I have seen some players talking explicitly, (I would have reported them, had I been a member at that time, but I was not), it's just a matter of another online game. Even with the reporting and such, it will be impossibly to completely fish these people out of the system.

I think there should be different levels of filtered chat. I believe members should have the chance to decide exactly how much of their chat is filtered and if they feel the need to speak sexually or explicitly, then they, in fact, should be banned. But it should not be that difficult to talk about food, or numbers.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I have to approve of the current chat. There is no question about it.

Wizard101, once again, an excellent job on keeping this game "clean."

While one can *never* truly keep chat 100% "dirt" free, one can, keep it as clean as possible, and Wizard101 has done that. Sure, you cannot say certain foods, or certain numbers, but I have been playing this game for a minimum of half a year, gotten a Wizard through Mooshu, and managed to do it without using food or certain numbers in my chat.

See, I have been playing WoW for years, and FFxi even twice as long, and the peace from "free-chatting" and foul-mouthing smart-alec toddlers and adults (oh yes, plenty of grown ups like that around) that I get is astounding. Sure, you can ignore everyone that you dont want to listen to, but, that defeats the purpose of being in an online world. Besides, I have never found an ignore list that at some point did not max out after adding about 100+ people.

Filter spam by making chatters unable to list or repeat the same thing that they have said for like... lets say, 5 seconds. That eliminates one problem that many seem to be annoyed with.

Also, allow the use of the "normal" menu chat during battles. I have noticed how the "normal" menu chat is replaced by a "battle" menu chat during battles. Simply add the Menu chat to the Battle menu chat. I have noticed that I could not tell people my level and such (especially after first meeting them IN a battle) because of a fight.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2009
As a parent of 5, whom is playing this prior to letting the younger kids play, I am quite pleased with the chat system. It takes very little effort to replace a word or 2 if another word has a similar spelling to a profane word.

The primary reason for signing up was this chat system.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Skha wrote:
As I can see where many, many of you are coming from, I for one do not approve of the chatting system. Though I do understand that it gives parents a peace of mind, it also extremely complicates discussion.
In order to use numbers one must say things such as 'One, to, tree, for, fifth, sixth,' and so on. When discussing how many health points an opponent has, this proves extremely difficult.
Though I have seen some players talking explicitly, (I would have reported them, had I been a member at that time, but I was not), it's just a matter of another online game. Even with the reporting and such, it will be impossibly to completely fish these people out of the system.

I think there should be different levels of filtered chat. I believe members should have the chance to decide exactly how much of their chat is filtered and if they feel the need to speak sexually or explicitly, then they, in fact, should be banned. But it should not be that difficult to talk about food, or numbers.

I too applaude the filter, but like the above mentioned, I belive the filter is a bit to harsh. Being unable to use basic words such as four, or numerals is very cumbersom.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
My boyfriend and I decided to check this out after he saw a commercial for it. I am 26 and he is 22. Definately not your average "target market" where the issue of the filter is concerned (we do not have kids.) But its really no issue for us since we have a Ventrilo or Xbox live so that we can talk all we want anyway.

As for what this filter does for kids? Its great! It keeps things far safer then stuff like FFXI or WoW. While I can understand the frustration of those who find things like numbers not being able to be spelled or typed, I am assuming this perticular filter is to keep people from giving out phone numbers or addresses.

It is very interesting... The filter system makes one assume that the game is going to be jouvenile and yet it is actually very interesting with a good story, lots of character customization and an interesting world. We have only been here for three days and already both agreed that we wanted to (and both proceeded to) sign up for the full game. We plan to spend some time here and have fun.

Wizard101 is the sort of thing that I would let me kids play if I *did* have kids. It is also something that I am already strongly recommending to many of my closest (grown-up) friends. I do not think I can give higher praise then that.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Why can't the players under 13 use text chat
And can the people that use menu chat see what the text chat people are saying

Administrator
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
It is slightly frustrating with the numbers being filtered, however like somebody else already stated, it keeps children(who probably don't know any better) from giving out personal information as a telephone number or address. I think it also keeps random people from giving each other true friend codes. We wouldn't want a predator getting true friend capabilities with a child.

A suggestion I would say about it; players age 13 and under only get text chat from parent's permission(already in place). players 14 and to 17 get text chat without parents permission. Players 18 and up get full access to chat minus those explicit words and numbers in a sequence of address or telephone information should be blocked as well.

Also, think we can get the option to turn off receiving friend invites? It is rather frustrating to be running down a street and having somebody spam me with friend invites as I'm trying to dodge a group of monsters. It would be a little easier for me to pick who I make friends with.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Haitchi wrote:
Also, think we can get the option to turn off receiving friend invites? It is rather frustrating to be running down a street and having somebody spam me with friend invites as I'm trying to dodge a group of monsters. It would be a little easier for me to pick who I make friends with.

I'd like to vote for this addition as well.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
Maybe I haven't done this properly, but I see no difference in my true friend chat (I have one) and the online friends I chat with. i.e. players that i do not know in real life, but are part of my friends list.

I would GREATLY prefer to be able to click on 'text chat' for my true friend (and NO ONE BUT my tre friend would see it on text chat) and be able to type whatever I want. My true friend already know my phone number, my address and my sense of humor.

Is that how True friend chat should work and we just haven't activated the code properly? If not, I would REALLY like to see that change made, then we could say what we want and no one would be in danger or offended or anything else.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Skha wrote:

The only reason you can't type numbers is because someone could easily give away there phone number!!<<<

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
pyron9 wrote:
Why can't the players under 13 use text chat
And can the people that use menu chat see what the text chat people are saying

The players under 13 just may not realize what they're saying and give away something important (i.e. phone number, address, age, etc.).

And as for the menu chat people seeing what text chat people say, I'm confused. When I had menu chat, I never saw text chat people's text. I only saw ... when they talked. But you are like all my friends I know that claim they can read text chat but only have menu. I have no idea why they are any different from me. My sister also could never see the text chat, and neither can my friend, who's name in the game is Seth Goldenblood.

I have no idea what the cause of this may be.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
phayte wrote:
Haitchi wrote:

I'd like to vote for this addition as well.

I totally agree. I do not mind being friends with someone that has helped me or I have helped and we may quest together, but it is frustrating to keep getting invite after invite from every tom, dick and harry.

I like the filtered chat, my only dislike is not being able to use numbers, however, I understand why. I am the mother of four boys and know how easily children can be talked into giving out personal information.

The only time I have found it frustrating not using numbers is if I am questing and need for example, 8 hooligans. I would like to be able to tell who is helping me how many I have left to get. I would like to suggest that maybe this option be put in menu chat, for example:

"I have (blank) to get yet (and choose 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on)" or "I still need (blank)...."

That would be a tremendous help.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2008
This sexual talk is quite common in wizard city, I have seen it millions of times, but ever since I got a wrning I have been a little bit stricter about reporting, I just dont feel too safe doing it after paying for the game, also parties seem to be a big hot spot for bad talking. If you go to raven wood I will bet a million dollars saying there is at least one wizard that is a free member that is saying "PARTY AT ICE TOWER! GET A GIRL OR A BOY!"... so could something be at least done with parties? Or at least checked out to see what I mean?

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I see no reason why a system could not be implemented to allow persons to type numbers. You have a parental control system that allows the complete cut off of chat already in place. This is one extra step.

I've played all sorts of MMOs including WoW, DAOC, UO, EQ, Warhammer, and AoC. They all had horrid control of chat, and this is certainly a refresher, but not allowing the use of numbers to those of us who know better is simply nonsense.

Other than that small quirk, the game is great. It could use some tweaking, but its still a great game.

Just wish we could have a real mini map *sigh*

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
please please please i beg you add some thing s to the menu chat
1) ask before porting
2) please do not port
3) stop spamming me for friend requeat
4) sorry my friend list is full
5) i only play with adults
6) if you port you must stay
7) if you port you must stay to end of instance level
8) i can't help you know but i will later

I know i am not the only one who has died because of port and run people

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
MrLincoln wrote:
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!

So the Report button is only for reporting chat violations?

My son came back to the game to find a message saying that someone had reported him (he had gone to eat dinner and left the game running). He was very upset about it, since he had done nothing. He was so upset that he had exited the game before I had a chance to see what the message that he received said. Because of this incident, I am glad to find out that falsely reporting someone is taken seriously.

I have never reported someone on this game, yet, but I have reported someone on another game. They had lured my child into a battle, and didn't join the battle after all, meanwhile taunting them as they "died," since my child was not strong enough to face the enemies alone. This was all done using that game's menu chat, not the filtered chat, since at that time, filtered chat was only allowed between "true friends." It was extremely upsetting for my trusting daughter. I subsequently found out that they don't keep logs of menu chat, and that the report was probably ignored.

Is the same thing true with this game? Are reports only investigated through examination of text chat logs?

My main question is this, though: will someone get in trouble for reporting someone who has been mean to them, but hasn't said anything bad in text chat? I can see where a child might do this, not knowing that they are only supposed to report text chat violations. Having not attempted to report someone, I don't know what the game says when you click on Report.