Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rant! (sorry!)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Ok, I do love this game, and I enjoy some of the interaction that comes from MMO's.

That being said, I have two gripes.

1) Friend requests from low level characters while I'm at the bazaar/shopping.
This happens anytime I'm playing one of my grandmasters. I'm quietly cleaning out the bank, or buying reagents, rearranging the spell book, whatever, and in the middle of my transaction a friend request window pops up from someone ~level 15. I would LOVE to see a friend request block when there's already a foreground window. I'll add lower level people and help them out, but I flat out deny any request while I'm busy.

2) "Helping out" in a fight.
I know that we're supposed to run up and join in a fight, but I know that I personally can't stand it when people do this without asking.
First of all, I set up my spells for the fight I'm in and usually travel with a "solo" deck. If I except to be in a group, I set up the spells for group. I can't stand getting my carefully set up traps busted by a wand or firecat.
Second, as we all know when another wizard joins the fight, it drags in another monster. I can't count the number of times I've lost a fight because there was a fresh enemy and all the threat was on me, having already killed a few. Not only that, but those people who join a fight and then log out, leaving the extra monster to me? Thanks a bunch, guys, that's lame.

Anyway, those are my peeves. Just looking for a little courtesy ;)

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It takes five seconds to open your options and turn off friend requests. You can re-enable it when you're not around low-levels.

Anybody can join a fight. Since you can't click on a player in battle and see their health, level, etc., there's no way to know how they're doing.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
loladog2009 wrote:
Ok, I do love this game, and I enjoy some of the interaction that comes from MMO's.

That being said, I have two gripes.

1) Friend requests from low level characters while I'm at the bazaar/shopping.
This happens anytime I'm playing one of my grandmasters. I'm quietly cleaning out the bank, or buying reagents, rearranging the spell book, whatever, and in the middle of my transaction a friend request window pops up from someone ~level 15. I would LOVE to see a friend request block when there's already a foreground window. I'll add lower level people and help them out, but I flat out deny any request while I'm busy.

I have my friend requests turned off for this very reason. When I want to become friends with someone I turn them on then off again. My friends all do the same thing. Hit escape, go to padlock icon and turn off whatever you want.

2) "Helping out" in a fight.
I know that we're supposed to run up and join in a fight, but I know that I personally can't stand it when people do this without asking.
First of all, I set up my spells for the fight I'm in and usually travel with a "solo" deck. If I except to be in a group, I set up the spells for group. I can't stand getting my carefully set up traps busted by a wand or firecat.
Second, as we all know when another wizard joins the fight, it drags in another monster. I can't count the number of times I've lost a fight because there was a fresh enemy and all the threat was on me, having already killed a few. Not only that, but those people who join a fight and then log out, leaving the extra monster to me? Thanks a bunch, guys, that's lame.

Anyway, those are my peeves. Just looking for a little courtesy ;)

I hate this too. It is especially bad in Wizard City. I hope KI will change the jump in and help people out intro. to ask if a wizard needs help then jump in. In Dragonspyre more and more people are asking first.

Megan F

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
As far as friend's request, your best bet is to just turn it off. If someone really wants to be your friend, they can just ask instead of spamming you with popup requests.

Now with people joining your fights, I admit that I will do so sometimes (I also solo a great deal), and I don't always ask. But I make sure I do 2 things: not use your traps; and try to help you in some way -- with healing, shield or additional boosts traps.

I admit that I don't care too much for others jumping in my battles, but this IS a multi-player game. And the streets are public areas. What I don't like is someone jumping in my battles and brining another monster in that ISN'T what I need. I can only assume they jumped in my battle because they also need whatever monster I am fighting ... that's fine. But the very least they can do is make sure another of the same type is going to be coming in as well.

Survivor
May 07, 2010
I can't stand the players who jump into a fight, bring in another enemy then log out. Only to log back in and come back at the tail end of a fight to take credit for the kill.

That gets my goat. Especially when it almost causes me to lose the battle. Its an instant de-friending move with me.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
i'm a level 41 ice wizard, and i agree i get bombarded with friend requests the moment I walk into ravenwood. I sometimes wear a disguise too. I hate people helping out too, it happens a lot to me in mooshu.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
1.) Well, you need to learn the "Privacy Options." They have a "Accept friend requests" Option.

2.) You just can't do anything about that.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I tend to always have my friends request off because of the people spamming me when at bazaar.

As for people jumping into battles. I am working on my fifth wizard and has had this happen more than the first four, and mostly in Mooshu. Although there is nothing we can do about it, maybe they can add wizardly etiquette to the player handbook. Such as...Don't jump into another wizards fight without first asking. If you do jump in, at least have the courtesy to say hello. Also, if you see the person is wounded and being attacked use a shield on them, not yourself. Don't jump into battle with someone wearing green just because you are wounded and want healed. I can go on and on but i won't

On another side note about privacy options. Do not go into the hatchery while in a crowded realm with an Epic Orthrus equipped without first turning off hatching requests. Took me several minutes to deny all the requests.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
superluther wrote:
I tend to always have my friends request off because of the people spamming me when at bazaar.

As for people jumping into battles. I am working on my fifth wizard and has had this happen more than the first four, and mostly in Mooshu. Although there is nothing we can do about it, maybe they can add wizardly etiquette to the player handbook. Such as...Don't jump into another wizards fight without first asking. If you do jump in, at least have the courtesy to say hello. Also, if you see the person is wounded and being attacked use a shield on them, not yourself. Don't jump into battle with someone wearing green just because you are wounded and want healed. I can go on and on but i won't

On another side note about privacy options. Do not go into the hatchery while in a crowded realm with an Epic Orthrus equipped without first turning off hatching requests. Took me several minutes to deny all the requests.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Very true.
I also laughed a bit at your comment about the Epic Orthrus in the hatchery, a similar thing happened to me with my Tempest. (The thing was a baby..) Everyone was swarming me going: Fiona Hatch Fiona Hatch Fiona Hatch.

But yea... you have a good point with the battle part, more people should take those ideas to heart.