Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does Dragonspire inspire arrogance?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
I know there is the low level non-chat thread that complains about the lower level players without chat in Dragonspire. I can understand your frustration when traps are set off by wand attacks and whatnot. This thread is basically the opposite: the neverending arrogance of some people.

I will use a few examples of what I have witnessed.

Just this morning I went into the Plaza of Conquests, as I am farming the 4 bosses for equipment to be sold to fund 3 school houses (1 for myself and 1 each for my children). I joined a "dead" realm that had only 3 people fighting the Sea Lord, all 3 were Grandmasters. We were sitting there chatting it up, they inquired how I came to be in the plaza, I told them how I had a mark set there since level 7 and how I am funding what was already stated. We were having a good time, then someone came into the screen about 5 minutes later. Presumably looking in the chat box, she immediately called out to me to flee stating I was not allowed in Dragonspire since I was not level 40. She said she needed to do a quest and that I NEEDED to flee. Then she was belligerent and kept calling me a noob, and how she would "pwn" me since I stated I was not going to flee in the middle of a battle losing my mana and XP I worked for. The 3 Grandmasters then put her in her place stating I have been keeping them healthy and giving them support spells, likely something she could not do. She left promptly after.

Another instance was one kid had simply said hi to someone. He was then barraged by insults on his low level and how he shouldnt be there. This person was level 36 and just completed Mooshu by his statement. That evidently didnt get comprehended by these rude people, as they continued that he shouldnt be in DS until level 40.

The point is, people shouldnt just come up and insist someone flee or simply be rude right off the bat. What would you respond better to:

"Hey, you need to flee as I need to do a quest and I would pwn you" or "Hey can you let me fight there next so I can complete a quest?"

I am sure anyone would allow someone to complete a quest after a battle is completed if asked, and a person is more likely to help if everyone leaves.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I agree with your statement/question -- "does DS inspire arrogance?".

I was a level 45 fighting in the Crystal Cove (? I think that's the name). Someone joined my battle, which I don't mind, but then immediatley tells me "don't attack. just pass." When I asked "why" he said, "listen noob, just pass." Well, I didn't pass. And he kept screaming stuff at me. When the fight was done, I moved on to another set of spiders, and HE FOLLOWED ME... When he started telling me again to "pass", I just pressed "escape" and "quit", and then I logged back on (that way I didn't lose mana or health.) So he didn't have to worry about me "not passing". He had those little spiders all to himself... :D

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I think it is frustration more than arrogance. We both have posted to numerous posts on the subject.

A friend and I were talking about this. She said something in a different way that made me better understand what people have been saying. So I will give it a stab for you.

There is a progression of quests. We do quest 1,2,3, etc. and open each world in a specific order. Getting more health, mana and better spells as we go along.

Then we have porting that allows us to go EVERYWHERE in the Spiral regardless of level or where we are in the progression of quests.

This creates some headaches in upper level worlds. People figure out there are cool drops worth lots of gold and good XP in the upper level worlds and start farming there. They also pick up side quests they may not be strong enough to do. When done by a skillled wizard it doesn't create many problems. But, when a wizard who is not so skilled comes in problems and conflict arrive. Not to mention things get pretty congested in popular areas. You can change realms but, if you need help a quiet realm gets you stuck. (Not that any of this justifies being rude and obnoxious. Waiting and asking if you can do the next battle to complete your task works beautifully.) There is the rub.

I feel KI could solve a lot of conflict by making some changes. I suppose they could be considered level caps of a sort. (I feel porting is just fine the way it is. My suggestions don't change porting at all.)

*No drops from bosses or street battles UNLESS you have the Spiral Key to the area. You can get that cool pet etc. when you have the Spiral Key.
*You may only pick up and do quests in worlds you hold the Spiral Key to.
*Gold and XP awarded are the same as the current highest level world you hold a Spiral Key too.

After spending time re-reading numerous posts I see people going WAIT A MINUTE I worked very hard to get here. Now somebody is just popping in and getting the same benefits without all hours spent getting here. That is just wrong. They need to put in the time and effort to get here too. Then they too can have the rewards.

Megan F

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Check this topic: Conceited Grandmasters

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/23709.ftl

Sorry, it is nothing new and it unfortunately is a sign of the times and of the game. :(

Some players lack manners. Some are mean because of the hatred and anger that is welling up inside of them due to the circumstances present in their lives. :(

They try to put down someone, even a stranger, so that they feel powerful and in feeling this power, they think that they are higher than others. :(

Since the behavior is not a reportable offense (just bad behavior/manners), I just ignore them (when it is directed toward me) and intervene (when it is directed toward someone else). :(

I am glad that the other wizards spoke up in the face of this one person's bad behavior.

Most of the players in this game are nice. No matter the age of the wizard, they are polite, respectful, kind, and helpful.

Some people have yet to learn those four things. :(

I would be glad to fight alongside of you anytime, no matter the level of your wizard. :) :)

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
I can sympathize and understand someone getting upset about trap stealing by low level players. This post was mainly about how they automatically start harassing people.

One person yesterday yelled at me to leave because I have the Ianthine Spectre. Now most people that ask why I am attacking the Gurtok due to the pet understand when I say I am farming for drops to fund my school house as well as my 2 childrens (put drops into shared bank, then they sell them). That didnt matter to this kid, as he became more belligerent and stated he would get me banned as he had friends that worked for Wizard, which I highly doubt.

Its one thing to get upset when someone steals traps. Its another when people are automatically harassed by someone who acts as if he developed the game.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Rubyb23-
That is wrong. :-( Being rude and belittling others certainly doesn't solve anything. It just makes the person doing it look bad and throws more fuel on the fire. I am glad the folks you were battling with did the right thing. Unfortunately people like yourself that actually help and battle will get abuse because of the ones that don't.

Low level farming of DS is becoming a hot issue for quite a few people. Some people are not good at controlling their tempers and sprew venom. It has come to the attention of more and more people. It is very hard when one spends hours and hours getting to DS to see someone else of a lower level port in or return to a marked spot and get the same rewords without all the effort. Even though drops are purely random it is a bitter pill.

Megan F

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
rubyb23 wrote:
I can sympathize and understand someone getting upset about trap stealing by low level players. This post was mainly about how they automatically start harassing people.

One person yesterday yelled at me to leave because I have the Ianthine Spectre. Now most people that ask why I am attacking the Gurtok due to the pet understand when I say I am farming for drops to fund my school house as well as my 2 childrens (put drops into shared bank, then they sell them). That didnt matter to this kid, as he became more belligerent and stated he would get me banned as he had friends that worked for Wizard, which I highly doubt.

Its one thing to get upset when someone steals traps. Its another when people are automatically harassed by someone who acts as if he developed the game.

Clearly that was just some kid throwing a tantrum. I too doubt he knows anyone who works for KI. Even if he did, there's no way they start banning people because that kid was jealous. Anyone who would be in a position to ban people knows that it's just bad business to act like that.

Explorer
Jun 19, 2009
this one time i was in the forum and this guy came in this fight stayed for 3 turns then left and i even healed him 2 times.All 3 turns he passed and i died i came back thinking maybe he just had to get off or somthing when i get back to forum i saw him i said "Hi" and he said "uh-oh" i joined his fight let another guy get in then fled so now we were even.

coyleghosthammer level 47 master necromancer(savior of the spiral)
taylorgoldenshield level 25 adept diviner(working on chelsea court)

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
bqsto wrote:
this one time i was in the forum and this guy came in this fight stayed for 3 turns then left and i even healed him 2 times.All 3 turns he passed and i died i came back thinking maybe he just had to get off or somthing when i get back to forum i saw him i said "Hi" and he said "uh-oh" i joined his fight let another guy get in then fled so now we were even.

coyleghosthammer level 47 master necromancer(savior of the spiral)
taylorgoldenshield level 25 adept diviner(working on chelsea court)

ROFL - Maybe he learned, "what goes around, comes around". LOL.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
And unfortunately, it's not just DS where you find arrogance and ill manners. I've seen newbies being picked on rather harshly in RAVENSTONE of all places!
I have to say, I'm thankful that not all players have nasty attitudes; I try to be nice to people playing, try to remember that the guy next to me might be a 12-year-old kid.
Oh, and that's another thing, a lot of the rudest folks might just be young players who haven't learned a whole lot of manners in the game yet, so I try to have patience with them and guide them as much as I can.

Defender
May 31, 2010
I wouldnt put that arrogant attitude on just the grandmaster accounts.

I was in Krokotopia this past week helping my daughter work through quest with my level 50 death wizard, when this wizard jumped into our battle and began bossing us around , telling not to hit her target, and screaming for us to pass .
Now this battle was started by us , we were working on the last two creatures we needed to kill for the quest , when she pulled in another one. I commented that she was bossy little wizard , and then unleashed the crow on them , wish I could have had it hit her too.
This is just one of many examples of people without manners I have seen in the game . Best just to walk away or put them on ignore.
As for the DS crashing by low levels , I do kinda agree you need to earn you way to get there , but at the same time , I will let my low level daughter port to me , when I am there . I keep a very close eye on her , she isnt allowed to run the streets there. Never once has she pulled in street mobs on other wizards or jumped into any battles that were began by someone else.
That is my biggest complaint is people jumping into a battle without asking. It occurs in every world , but in DS is a bit more of a pain , since the bosses have such high hit points , you need to set them up with traps and blades in order to remove them before they remove you. A low level coming in , that doesnt know how to work a deck , and removing your traps can mean dying that round. or causing you to take twice/three times as long to kill the creature(s) Some low levels are smart enough to know what spells to use and when in order to help. But , it is always to rude to jump in without asking , no matter what world or what level IMHO.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
IvoryJade wrote:
And unfortunately, it's not just DS where you find arrogance and ill manners. I've seen newbies being picked on rather harshly in RAVENSTONE of all places!

Where is Ravenstone?

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
MsSandy121 wrote:

As for the DS crashing by low levels , I do kinda agree you need to earn you way to get there , but at the same time , I will let my low level daughter port to me , when I am there . I keep a very close eye on her , she isnt allowed to run the streets there. Never once has she pulled in street mobs on other wizards or jumped into any battles that were began by someone else.
That is my biggest complaint is people jumping into a battle without asking. It occurs in every world , but in DS is a bit more of a pain , since the bosses have such high hit points , you need to set them up with traps and blades in order to remove them before they remove you. A low level coming in , that doesnt know how to work a deck , and removing your traps can mean dying that round. or causing you to take twice/three times as long to kill the creature(s) Some low levels are smart enough to know what spells to use and when in order to help. But , it is always to rude to jump in without asking , no matter what world or what level IMHO.

MsSandy--I think most people don't mind what you described with your daughter. It is low level people coming back time after time to farm (marking their spot and porting back), picking up side quests and street battling to level up faster or poor battlers that cause problems.

I have three wizards. My life grand would help people occasionally in a higher level then leave. My other two have never done that. I spend a lot of time working on them.

Megan F

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I personally think you cant port to another world until you are certain level.

Explorer
Nov 07, 2009
Me and my sister occasionally ASK lower leveled people to help us in DS, we found a level 20 that was actually very useful and we wouldn't have been able to do the dungeon without her. Although i do think low levellers that join a battle then get rid of shields are annoying, but still, there is no need to shout abuse at them until they go away. If it's really annoying you then it's best just to ask them to leave politely. Just remember it could be a 7 year old, or even a more experienced player that plays several wizards and knows what they're doing in fights.

Anna Winterflame- lvl 48
Belgrim Foebreaker- lvl 7

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:
I think it is frustration more than arrogance. We both have posted to numerous posts on the subject.

A friend and I were talking about this. She said something in a different way that made me better understand what people have been saying. So I will give it a stab for you.

There is a progression of quests. We do quest 1,2,3, etc. and open each world in a specific order. Getting more health, mana and better spells as we go along.

Then we have porting that allows us to go EVERYWHERE in the Spiral regardless of level or where we are in the progression of quests.

This creates some headaches in upper level worlds. People figure out there are cool drops worth lots of gold and good XP in the upper level worlds and start farming there. They also pick up side quests they may not be strong enough to do. When done by a skillled wizard it doesn't create many problems. But, when a wizard who is not so skilled comes in problems and conflict arrive. Not to mention things get pretty congested in popular areas. You can change realms but, if you need help a quiet realm gets you stuck. (Not that any of this justifies being rude and obnoxious. Waiting and asking if you can do the next battle to complete your task works beautifully.) There is the rub.

I feel KI could solve a lot of conflict by making some changes. I suppose they could be considered level caps of a sort. (I feel porting is just fine the way it is. My suggestions don't change porting at all.)

*No drops from bosses or street battles UNLESS you have the Spiral Key to the area. You can get that cool pet etc. when you have the Spiral Key.
*You may only pick up and do quests in worlds you hold the Spiral Key to.
*Gold and XP awarded are the same as the current highest level world you hold a Spiral Key too.

After spending time re-reading numerous posts I see people going WAIT A MINUTE I worked very hard to get here. Now somebody is just popping in and getting the same benefits without all hours spent getting here. That is just wrong. They need to put in the time and effort to get here too. Then they too can have the rewards.

Megan F

i absolutely agree. I know that there are quite a few players that just have all around bad manners, and that's unexcusable, but the people in DS have worked very hard to get to where they are. It's not fair that the lower levels that have the smarts to get in (bravo for that, it's pretty tough) suddenly have access to all the things that you have toiled to get. I love FireFan's suggestion of locks and i really hope KI reads them. Anyways, like i said, please don't just point fingers at grands because they seem to be the only rude ones (although most of the time they are), the lower levels can be very rude as well. For example, I once joined a PvP battle without looking at the levels, just a practice, just for fun. When i got in i realized that all of the players were low. Despite i was friendly to them, saying hello and asking around for levels and schools. Some of them were nice, but over half started screaming at me to flee out of the battle or that i was incompetent for not checking the levels. For the rest of the battle they ridiculed me, even though i was helping them, supplying booster spells and healing. In the end, my entire team was dead except for me and i won the battle for them with an expertly placed dragon. Really, with some locks and new rules I think we would almost be able to play the game in peace... almost

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
i dont mind if ther r lower levels in DS as long as they dont ask for help snd keep adding grandmasters. and if lower levels fight, i dont care as long as they dont do dumb things