Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Members should be able to create grandmasters

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
from the start instead of having to level up from scratch. As it is now, players are creating characters and teleporting to their friends in the higher level worlds such as Dragon Spyre. The reason being that those who buy crowns and or memberships should have complete access to every area in the game. This means that members and crown players are experiencing trouble playing in these areas with sub-level characters. Crown players and members should have full access to all the spells and strengths of a character as well as complete freedom to go wherever they want at the start. The solution to this is to allow everyone who wants to be able to create grandmaster characters whenever they choose to without having to level up or do silly quests at all. As a member if I want to play a grandmaster storm, ice, fire, balance, death, or myth character I should be instantly able to do that.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
Defender
Feb 23, 2010
I don't like being rude, but that's just ridiculous. Just because you purchase access to the game doesn't mean you should start out fully leveled up. That would make the game completely pointless. If you buy Final Fantasy (or any quest game) for your console, you don't start off with access to every ability and spell in the game, or with access to all of the areas in the game. You have to put in the work, learn how to play it in an effective way, and develop your character to earn those things. That's the point of a quest game. If that's all you want out of a game, then go buy a fighter. I used to play the Mortal Kombat games, but found that I got bored with them a lot quicker than I did quest games. Why? Because there's not much to do, and everything is the same.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
willwolf64 wrote:
you have to EARN your way up to grandmaster

why should you have to earn your way up to anything in this game when it is common practice to allow level one characters port to their friends who are in DS and other such areas when they don't yet have spiral access to those places... so I figure, if you can already bypass all the world areas you might as well be also able to create grandmasters from scratch ... such grandmasters would be fun to play in PvP

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
seasnake wrote:
from the start instead of having to level up from scratch. As it is now, players are creating characters and teleporting to their friends in the higher level worlds such as Dragon Spyre. The reason being that those who buy crowns and or memberships should have complete access to every area in the game. This means that members and crown players are experiencing trouble playing in these areas with sub-level characters. Crown players and members should have full access to all the spells and strengths of a character as well as complete freedom to go wherever they want at the start. The solution to this is to allow everyone who wants to be able to create grandmaster characters whenever they choose to without having to level up or do silly quests at all. As a member if I want to play a grandmaster storm, ice, fire, balance, death, or myth character I should be instantly able to do that.

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not. If you are, I made similar points in a couple of other posts. If a simple membership allows unrestricted access anywhere in the spiral,then indeed levels,quests,spiral keys,etc. should all be done away with,and allow the mayhem to get even worse. What was obviously intended by KI as to be a good thing,has been abused by some,and is causing huge problems for others. They need to decide either way,as it's simply not working as intended.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
Lol, yet another player that wants things handed to them. I agree that the port thing has gotten used and abused way to much, Then why not start at grand? Why even make it a qualification to be attuned with a Spirial Key to enter the Spirial?

Grand is not just a badge, it is experience of the player, and their school of focus. Could you imagine somebody that never created a Wizard and earned the right for grand level to just create a Grand and start PVPing? Well then it would be an easy win for the experienced player in PVP, so the PVPers would be happy.

But those that had spent many hours, and crowns to earn their Grand tittle would not be to happy about the change at all.

What you are looking for is a Massive Multi-Play Online Fighter. I am sorry but you are in the wrong kind of game. W101 is a Massive Multi-Play Online Role Playing Game.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not. If you are, I made similar points in a couple of other posts. If a simple membership allows unrestricted access anywhere in the spiral,then indeed levels,quests,spiral keys,etc. should all be done away with,and allow the mayhem to get even worse. What was obviously intended by KI as to be a good thing,has been abused by some,and is causing huge problems for others. They need to decide either way,as it's simply not working as intended.

What they really allow and encourage by enabling new characters to port to worlds they haven't unlocked through quests yet are those players who operate more than one character in the game at a time. I've seen a lot of people playing multiple characters at the farming areas, such as ravens. They use their main character and port in their noob. They farm for gold constantly and their noob character levels up. You ask them how many characters they have and they say somewhere around the vacinity of ten, all of which are laden in gold. If they had to level up and complete quests to get into such areas, these people would likely not have 10 or so grandmasters to which they then take into the PvP arena since Wizard101 has made it easy for them to sit all their characters at the same ranked PvP "friends" table.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
seasnake wrote:

why should you have to earn your way up to anything in this game when it is common practice to allow level one characters port to their friends who are in DS and other such areas when they don't yet have spiral access to those places... so I figure, if you can already bypass all the world areas you might as well be also able to create grandmasters from scratch ... such grandmasters would be fun to play in PvP

While I fully understand your frustration , lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. I think most people follow the quest progression.

Porting is having some unintended consequences. It is allowing lower level players to get benefits in higher level worlds that others have worked hard to get. That in turn is causing hard feelings for many people.

I suggest the following to curb lower level farming and easy leveling up in higher level worlds.

*No quests available UNLESS you hold a Spiral Key to and area. That would close the side quest loophole. Currently anyone can get side quests in any world.
*Gold and XP from battles would be the same as in the highest world you hold a Spiral Key in. No fast leveling by piggy backing, but, a reward for helping friends.
*No drops from battles or bosses UNLESS you have the Spiral Key to an area. Pets, robes, rings, amulets, athames and snacks would have to wait until you progressed to an area via quest progression.
*No marking in an area UNLESS you have a Spiral Key.

Suddenly porting is more back to helping friends, rather than a way to shortcut the game. I finally got what you are saying.

Megan F

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
There is a huge difference between being able to port to your friends, and being the kind of wizard they are. As for porting giving you access to everything, that's not exactly true. You can only port to where your friend is, and many areas in dragonspyre have limited access. In other words, if you port to your friend in the Atheneum, you can't go to the Necropolis or the Academy. Unless your friend is willing to travel all over the place simply so that you can port to him, it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that the ability to port gives you access to everything. Besides, this wasn't the original reason behind the porting ability anyway. Porting to friends was added so that friends could meet up and work together. Lower level wizards using it to access areas they haven't earned was an unintended side effect. It doesn't really bother me, but it wasn't the reason they added the function.

As for starting out as a grandmaster, again, that's just ridiculous. Like I said before, it completely defeats the purpose of a quest game. Add to that the fact that developing your wizard gives you a much better feel for how to use your wizard. The differences between the schools mean that there is a different optimal fighting style for each school. Developing your wizard gives the you opportunity to get better acquainted with those differences and adapt your game to them, learning as you go. It's bad enough being in a fight and watching some noob pass turn after turn waiting to build up enough pips for a treasure card for a spell from a different school (not even buffing the spell as they go), but a flood of noobs simply handed grandmasters without knowing how to use them flooding the game would make things completely unbearable. Please, stop whining about how everything should just be handed to you. Except for fighters (and not even some of those), there are no games that do this. There's a little thing called work that you might want to become acquainted with. Trust me, you value something a whole lot more if you've had to earn it. If all you want is to have a character handed to you so you can fight another person, there are a number of games like that out there. When you sign up for a MMORPG (or any quest game for that matter), you're in it for the long haul. Surprise surprise, they expect you to do quests in a quest game.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I think he is being facetious.

If you don't have a key to the world and port there and battle, you get 1% or less of the experience points, and NO BADGES! No matter what world.

Problem solved.

Rogan Firehammer

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
You must keep in mind the side effects this porting issue has on the game. Low level players port to high level worlds, they make high level friends and then expect the high level players to do everything for them as they tag along and many high level players do assist them. In the meantime, these players complain how hard the game is and so Wizard101 dumbs down the game making things easier and easier until you find out that if you actually do the quests you max out on experience and levels upon mere entrance of DS, while all the bosses are made way easier and all the towers shortened. Guess what, the players that don't do the quests or anything other than beg for such help are the ones who are struggling, while those who actually did everything find the game relatively easy and are a bit upset that it isn't challenging cause it keeps being made easier and easier to accomodate the players who don't have much of a clue how to play cause they didn't actually do the leveling up quests.

To make matters worse, those with grandmasters create new characters on either the same computer or on another and then assist themselves, their low level character gains tons of gold and levels without doing any quests and then these same characters enter into the PvP arena where the samer person controls more than one person on their side cause they can hand pick who is on their side of the table by making it friends only.

Given all that, Wizard101 should allow all members to create grandmasters from the start as the system is broken as it is.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2009
seasnake wrote:

No, there's no fun in that, and leveling from level 1 to grandmaster is an awesome feeling. And no, you shouldnt, it's just called being lazy instead of working on your own quests. If you do have a grandmaster, you should know that this isnt a good idea

Explorer
Jan 11, 2010
I have 3 GrandMasters, and EARNED every one of them. While others were goofing off at parties and in pvp ect, I had my focus on completing all my quests I was given so I could level up. No one handed it to me. I learned something new with each school I went to also, not only about the school but the game itself. If you can find one or two buddies at your own level, and come up together with them it makes the journey easier. I still have friends that are grand now like me, that I came up with as far back as Krok. However, I did not port into other realms beyond my level until I was told to. I found staying put and completing all the quests in that area before going to the next gave me more health and xp, to deal with the next set of challenges in the next world when I was sent there. I did not do GH until I was Grand, which made GH allot easier to complete.
Once I had made it to Grand, I then ejoyed going to parties and pvp, ect. and helping lower levels in trouble.
NO, if you want to be a GrandMaster, you should have to EARN IT.
Kimberly NightShade

GrandMaster~Death
GrandMaster~Life
GrandMaster~Balance