Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

solo

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
is it not possible to do the final countdown quest alone...im using the christals but nothing happends ....the door is still locked ...someone has a awnser for me please

Delver
May 26, 2009
It takes 15 seconds for each of the crystals to light out, so it is nearly impossible to solo The Great Spyre. It is possible to do it with two people though :D

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
You will need at least two wizards to activate the crystal stands. :)

One wizard marks the location at the first crystal stand and runs to the second crystal stand (the two closest to the Gurtuks would be the easiest), while the second wizard is ready to activiate the third crystal stand. The first wizard activates the second crystal, then ports to the first to activate it, while the second wizard activates the third. This will unlock the door. :)

Sorry, I know of no way for only one wizard to activate all three at the same time. :(

I hope what I wrote does make sense. I have already done it twice this way and it works. :)

Have fun!! :) :) :)

Survivor
May 02, 2010
I have often wondered about the Great Spyre being set up the way it is, too. I play a lot at night, often to very early morning hours. The only answer I've found so far is that it IS possible to beat with two people, not solo. However, at nearly any given time of day, you can find someone to help you if you check the Basilica (even changing realms a few times might help find someone faster). Most of the Grandmasters want more and more drops anyway, so nearly every time I ask, I get about four offers to be helped.

Side Note: When asking people that you retrieve from the Basilica, check them first to be sure they're even ready to do the Great Spyre. Some people port in with friends and wait to do the Great Spyre. Sadly, I've gotten INTO the Spyre and THEN found out I'm with a level 30 person. It simply won't work with two people and one of them at an extremely low level.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2010
i believe that this is an absolute huge problem i am not paying to be forced into playing with other people . All quests should be able to be done by a single paying member . other people tend to create more problems then they solve . this is only my opinion but i have gotten to be a GM death without help .
thank you for letting me rant ... I really enjoy playing alone .

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
jamderson wrote:
i believe that this is an absolute huge problem i am not paying to be forced into playing with other people . All quests should be able to be done by a single paying member . other people tend to create more problems then they solve . this is only my opinion but i have gotten to be a GM death without help .

Then I suggest you not go into Celestia.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
rolo527 wrote:
You will need at least two wizards to activate the crystal stands. :)

One wizard marks the location at the first crystal stand and runs to the second crystal stand (the two closest to the Gurtuks would be the easiest), while the second wizard is ready to activiate the third crystal stand. The first wizard activates the second crystal, then ports to the first to activate it, while the second wizard activates the third. This will unlock the door. :)

Sorry, I know of no way for only one wizard to activate all three at the same time. :(

I hope what I wrote does make sense. I have already done it twice this way and it works. :)

Have fun!! :) :) :)

Aaahh!! This is so unfair! I got all the way to the crystals and couldn't get them activated so I looked it up and found this. NONE of my friends are online! Thanks for posting the info though :)

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
jamderson wrote:

FRANKLY I AGREE! Emphatically!!!

Look, it's a fairly simple 'fix' for KI to achieve. They already have 'blocks' or 'controls' in place about other players joining/helping friends who are already in dungeones. (I've often been asked to help in places I cannot access)

It should be possible for the game to detect when someone is questing alone, and the creatures/number of them could be "dummied-down" based on that person questing alone. (similar to the way it warns you about leaving a dungeon)

To say, (in so many words) "tough luck if you prefer to play alone" is not a viable argument. There are no 'consumer warnings' telling me I cannot finish this game if I subscribe alone! In fact, you may recall Ambrose asks us at the beginning "do you prefer to play alone, or with friends" (I answered "alone")! Maybe Ambrose should have warned me I couldn't finish alone?

Having said that, I imagine I'll press-on anyway. But I still think adjustments should be made.

Richard Lifevault lvl 49

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Zipity wrote:
rolo527 wrote:
You will need at least two wizards to activate the crystal stands. :-)

One wizard marks the location at the first crystal stand and runs to the second crystal stand (the two closest to the Gurtuks would be the easiest), while the second wizard is ready to activiate the third crystal stand. The first wizard activates the second crystal, then ports to the first to activate it, while the second wizard activates the third. This will unlock the door. :-)

Sorry, I know of no way for only one wizard to activate all three at the same time. :-(

I hope what I wrote does make sense. I have already done it twice this way and it works. :-)

Have fun!! :-) :-) :-)

Aaahh!! This is so unfair! I got all the way to the crystals and couldn't get them activated so I looked it up and found this. NONE of my friends are online! Thanks for posting the info though :-)

Your welcome

For those who solo:

Since I very often play the game in off-hours, it is very difficult to find others who are working on the same quests. My solution is that I solo with two accounts (two versions of the game on the same computer). One account is/has been a yearly subscription and the other was a yearly subscription that has now been changed to crowns. I have another two accounts that I have just started with crowns.

This means that I am playing with a wizard that will not flee on me and will only use my traps when I want him to use them.

It also makes it easier to plan strategy when you are able to look in two decks at the same time.

Have fun!!! :-) :-) :-)

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
jamderson wrote:

Rant away. I totally agree. And yes, Celestia is even worse. You are forced to play with 4 players most of the time. I sent a complaint in, but don't know how much good it will do.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
rolo527 wrote:
Zipity wrote:
rolo527 wrote:
You will need at least two wizards to activate the crystal stands. :-)

One wizard marks the location at the first crystal stand and runs to the second crystal stand (the two closest to the Gurtuks would be the easiest), while the second wizard is ready to activiate the third crystal stand. The first wizard activates the second crystal, then ports to the first to activate it, while the second wizard activates the third. This will unlock the door. :-)

Sorry, I know of no way for only one wizard to activate all three at the same time. :-(

I hope what I wrote does make sense. I have already done it twice this way and it works. :-)

Have fun!! :-) :-) :-)

Aaahh!! This is so unfair! I got all the way to the crystals and couldn't get them activated so I looked it up and found this. NONE of my friends are online! Thanks for posting the info though :-)

Your welcome

For those who solo:

Since I very often play the game in off-hours, it is very difficult to find others who are working on the same quests. My solution is that I solo with two accounts (two versions of the game on the same computer). One account is/has been a yearly subscription and the other was a yearly subscription that has now been changed to crowns. I have another two accounts that I have just started with crowns.

This means that I am playing with a wizard that will not flee on me and will only use my traps when I want him to use them.

It also makes it easier to plan strategy when you are able to look in two decks at the same time.

Have fun!!! :-) :-) :-)

Wow! Thanks to everyone else who posted about Malistairs Lair playing solo. I've been playing for over a year and today is the first time I've ever looked at the message boards, because I spent over 4, maybe 5 hours playing solo on this quest a few days ago so I could advance more in Celestia after completeing it and I never could figure out how to unlock the door! I usually play solo and I had no idea that this quest needed multiple characters to finish and I might ask friends to help out for individual combats, but you can't expect most players to have 3 hours to spend on the game when they might have less than 1 hour or so. I assumed I could do this quest by myself, just as I usually do, I just figure it takes me longer, not that it cannot be accomplished.
I have two paying subscriptions for my 2 children, but honestly I think that I play more than they do. Anyway my Jared Thunderfist character has been a level 50 Storm Grandmaster Diviner for quite some time and I had maxed out experience points and seldom had the time to enter a dungeon that warns you to expect to take at least 3 hours to complete the quest, so I never really tried, and I mostly quit playing this character until Celestia opened and I could get new quests and gain more experience. Now that I've teleported to friends to gain access to a lot of the areas of Celestia, I really want to be able to progress with quests inviting or allowing access permissions so I can work my way up to the next levels. I don't know when I will have enough time to spend trying this technique of activating both accounts and switching back and forth between characters sounds very tedious to me just to be able 3 hours later to finally unlock the door, but at least now I know the trick is to get the 3 crystals activated within 15 seconds of each other to unlock the door. Thanks for any other info on how to accomplish this as a solo player.
Jared Thunderfist, Grandmaster Diviner.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2009
I've been trying 4-5 times to get past the door and it won't unlock. I only looked at the forums today to figure out why and found out you have to play with others.

I must say this too. It is unfair to force a paying subscriber to play with others if they don't want to. I prefer to play on my own, on my time, at my speed.

Please do something for solo players or I will cancel my subscription.
Thank you.