Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Done with pet system

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
So I had this goal to get both spell proof and spell defying onto one pet like I had seen someone in the arena have. I bought a magma colossus, hatched it with my guardian dragon (that had spell proof) and hoped. aged it to adult and the spell defying from the magma colossus manifested, on to epic and no spell proof. no problem, I didn't think I would get it the first time 12 tries later and I seem to have bred out the ability to get either of the talents that I would want. I also tried to breed in the defender pig which also has minifested spell proof. Even after breeding two pets together that had manifested spell proof, the offspring had none. So even though I have bred two pets together that have manidfested the talents that I want multiple times (more times statistically than I would need to if it was random) all I get is canny, which as far as I can tell helps nothing. KI, until you fix this very bad system where a wizard can spend 600,000 gold and all the pets do is get worse, I'm done.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
I appreciate that it can be very frustrating to spend all the time and money on rearing a pet, but your description gives the impression that after the first try, you're just rearing the offspring to teen.

...all I get is canny, which as far as I can tell helps nothing

It is unfortunate, but you can't determine the viability of a pet if you are just taking it to teen. One of the progeny you have may well have the spell proof talent - look for an inactive Epic Talent trait - Spell Proof is one of the few Epic Talents in the game.

Progeny will *Usually* present the same talents as both talents, but all the data of the boards indicates that there is a bit of chance on which ones passed as active from both parents.

Because it is expensive to breed, I usually take a pet to ancient before determining whether or not it is useful, depending on my character's needs, and the overall coolness of the pet, and it's talent.

Don't buy snacks unless you have to though - if you have a character with access to Ravenscar or Dragonspire, you can get plenty of rank 5 snacks just street fighting.

You're going to have disappointments, that can't be helped. Using two pets with the active trait will minimize those.

Canny adds 40 to the pet's will score. While this will not actually effect defence traits, it would be helpful if you were also looking into talents that would boost damage.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
yea i agree pet system should go. i have tried to get minotaur pet before for card but now it gives it at EPIC. whats up with that? these people who had minotaur had gotten card before they go on with pet system then no more card

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
I age most of the dragons up to ancient, and about half of them to epic, If they get one of the spell resist abilities, then I take them to epic to see if the other will manifest. I craft almost all of my snacks, the level 6 cereals so I can spend the least amount of time doing the awful pet games without spending crowns. So the 600,000 is just in hatching costs, add in the snack cost and I'm well over 700,000. Even though I am mixing pets with the active talents that I want, the only ones that come out are the useless talents, over and over. If they want people to use the pet system after the luster wears off, maybe they should link the passive talents with the active ones, if you get canny, you will also get some damage ability, so you don't get all passive talents which being truthful, do not help anywwhere but the arena. There is too much useless trash in the system to get people to keep doing the advanced pets, at least too much to keep me involved in it.

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
ack! lol i am on the same quest with defender pig and magma colossus

(before pet update defender pig, after pet update magma colossus)

but this is the other side of it, lets say you had one of the new pigs (after update) and it never got spell proof and no spell defying for your colossus, if it manafested only active talents and you had none of those, and both where epic, then you would NEVER get your talents if the random system was not in place, it would be impossible, 1500 more arena tickes later to find out ...

am trying something with spritely also where this is a factor, i recomend not giving up ... it WILL be a tough one, but i am not going for 2 talents, i'm going for 3, but i know how hard this will be, hang in there and don't give up

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
ncalcote wrote:
I age most of the dragons up to ancient, and about half of them to epic, If they get one of the spell resist abilities, then I take them to epic to see if the other will manifest. I craft almost all of my snacks, the level 6 cereals so I can spend the least amount of time doing the awful pet games without spending crowns. So the 600,000 is just in hatching costs, add in the snack cost and I'm well over 700,000. Even though I am mixing pets with the active talents that I want, the only ones that come out are the useless talents, over and over. If they want people to use the pet system after the luster wears off, maybe they should link the passive talents with the active ones, if you get canny, you will also get some damage ability, so you don't get all passive talents which being truthful, do not help anywwhere but the arena. There is too much useless trash in the system to get people to keep doing the advanced pets, at least too much to keep me involved in it.

Ncalcote,

I agree, they didn't set this up correctly, and should have made it with rules or some type of system where you could get what you wanted. Even if it took you 10 to 14 hatches to get there.
I have found that it's not just the four talents that show up, that can pass to the new hatched pet. Each parent has 10 talents, but only four show up as you bring the pet up to teen, adult, epic, etc.
Plus the talents the parents are going to get, are limited, from the start.

So, each time you hatch a pet, you may get one, two or none of the talents that you see in the parents.
I have hatched my pets over and over, to prove this.

I think that you as me, expected that the Hatched pet would get two talennts from one parent and two from the other parent. This would make sense as it is closer to what happens in the real world.
Not the case at all, and that is why I decided to quit also, you can't breed pets in this setup that KI has, it's all just random luck.

If anyone doesn't agree wtih this, then please take a look at the talentdata.bin file.

JLH.