Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Age Restrictions Question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
Ok so me and my family play this game a lot. One account has a subscription but the family member is 12 but turns 13 in a couple of days. we were going to put his DOB on the My accounts page to see if it gave him open chat but what happens if it dosent. Is there a way you can get menu chat if you are turning 13 without buying a subscription or crowns with a credit card? The only reason this account is because we all pool our pocket money to occasionaly buy a gift card? So do we get open chat

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
There is a section dealing with chat in the FAQ. I have copied it for you.

In order to maintain a fun and safe virtual world experience for everyone Wizard 101 has 4 communication options.

1) Menu Chat: Players can use predetermined phrases to talk with other players. This option is available to everyone.

2) Text Chat: Players can type phrases to talk with other players. Words that are NOT in the Wizard101 dictionary will be displayed as "…". This option is available to all over 13 and under 13 with parent permission.

3) Open Chat: Subscribed players who are over the age of 18, and have a valid credit card on file with us, can enable the 18+ Open Chat. This chat will be filtered for Profanity, but will allow numbers and names.

4) True Friends Chat: Players can exchange a code with someone they know in real life, and you can talk more openly with real friends. This chat is still filtered for profanity and inappropriate language and is available for subscribing accounts.

Examples of disallowed words are; profanity, numbers, and real world locations.

3. How do I get Text Chat?

If you are unable to use the chat function, it is possible that your account does not have Text Chat enabled. Accounts set up as over 13 players are able to use the Text Chat.

You may also simply have the Chat Bubbles turned off. You can turn the chat bubbles on and off by pressing the letter O on your keyboard.

If you have an account that is over 13 and still cannot chat you might need to enable the feature. To enable you must login to Wizard101.com and select "My Accounts". Under the "Account Management" section login to your parental controls and click on the 'enable' button located next to the 'filtered text' option.

Text Chat for players with under 13 accounts can only be turned on by a parent/guardian over age 18. The parent/guardian must validate his/her age by buying a subscription or crowns with a valid credit card.

If you have previously been able to use Text Chat and no longer can access it, it is possible that you have been reported for harassment or other misconduct. Please contact Customer Support using the "Ask a Question" button on the Help & Support page.

4. How do I get Open Chat?

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active Subscriber community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
thank you and sorry i may be bumping this post but i only recently was able to check it. This does not answer my question though. What happens if you turn 13? How will they know to upgrade the chat.

Delver
May 26, 2009
tefler wrote:
thank you and sorry i may be bumping this post but i only recently was able to check it. This does not answer my question though. What happens if you turn 13? How will they know to upgrade the chat.

After you enter the parental controls password, you can change the birth date under "Basic Information". Hope this helps!

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
tefler wrote:

KI will not upgrade your chat. You need to do so (or whoever is the account holder). Simply log into the website and click on the "My Accounts" on the left side. There, you will find the Chat features and you can change the options.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010