Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

players should not be able to port to realms

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
that they do not have onlocked on their spiral... I find it odd and a bit unfair that I can port to friends in ds with a level one character when I don't have any worlds unlocked on the character at all... why is this even allowed?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
As some other person posted " it was probably something over-looked by KI,and will probably be addressed in the coming patches" like the trading/use of enchanted treasure cards was. You are absolutely correct though. According to the game rules and admin posts reflecting the same, access to the spiral is only for the those who have completed the necessary game requirements/spiral keys. Anyone doing other than that is simply exploiting a weakness in the game and rule implementation. KI should address this issue though. The longer they wait,the more problems are going to arise from it.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I understand your frustration with the porting problem, but I don't think banning someone from porting to a world they don't have access to is the solution.

There are times when higher wizards will call for help from lower wizards in a battle. Sometimes you just can't, even after switching realms, someone to help you.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
My take on this is when you buy an area with crowns or have a subscription you have unlimited, full access to all areas. I can't find anything saying one can't port into friends in an area you have not unlocked. Many people do this, help their friend and leave. They go back to their own quest so they can get there too.

KI made the game this way. I don't believe it was an oversight or mistake. I hope someone who has been playing the game for a long time will answer. I assume porting has been here since day one. I certainly could be wrong.

Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theurgist
Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
seasnake wrote:
that they do not have onlocked on their spiral... I find it odd and a bit unfair that I can port to friends in ds with a level one character when I don't have any worlds unlocked on the character at all... why is this even allowed?

We are not sure. Tis why there are a number of post about it, how lowbies can port to who ever they want to, in any zone, regardless of having a spiral key or not.

No word from KI either if it will ever change or not when Celestia goes live. Hence the accumulated posts of this growing problem.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
This would create a mob of people who would stop playing.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Orca wrote:

I look at it the other way:if KI doesn't do something about this issue and the problems it causes, they will lose players.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Pyrsik could you please post links to some of the posts you refer to by Zeke and others? I have seen and read them. But, would like to re-read them. I have tried looking for them. I am not having any luck. What I remember and what the posts say may be vastly different.

Thanks so much!
Meagan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Orca wrote:

I seriously doubt that. When the mounts came out, did people quit because they didn't have enough gold? No, they learned that they had to wait until they accumulated enough to buy one. When the schools houses came out, did they quit for the same reason? No. How about the Wings, which are Crowns only? No.

They have learned that in order to get what they want, they will have to earn it and it may take some time to do so.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
Pyrsik could you please post links to some of the posts you refer to by Zeke and others? I have seen and read them. But, would like to re-read them. I have tried looking for them. I am not having any luck. What I remember and what the posts say may be vastly different.

Thanks so much!
Meagan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer

Here's one of the quotes by Zeke. Trying to find these things on old posts isn't easy,would be nice if we had more enhanced tools to search. I will post more for you if I stumble across them. In this post ,Zeke was answering someones question about why he didn't have access to Unicorn Way......

Prospector Zeke
Administrator
[Avatar]

10:48 am

You still need to earn the right to enter those areas by completing your assignments in Unicorn Way. Those areas are more difficult, and Merle needs to make sure you are a strong enough Wizard before he will allow you to enter.

Once you receive a quest to enter Triton Avenue, Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane, those areas will be open to you, not before.
"I've been all over the place, exploring the differ'nt worlds along the Spiral."
I can help you with your general questions about Wizard101.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Pyrsik thanks so much. I found a couple myself. It is very hard to find them. The ones I found to me suggest KI knows about this ability and it is not a glitch or mistake.

From the players guide on Wizard101--
Getting Around - Teleporting to Friends
When you select a friend from your Friends list, one of the options is to "Go to Location".

This means you can teleport to your friend, but be careful, your friend may be in a high level area that you are not prepared for! It's always nice to ask your friend first if you can teleport to them.

From Gamma in response to a question on crowns/subscription--
A Subscription buys you Time in the game. During the time you are subscribed, you can access any areas in the Spiral that you have earned access to through the progression of quests. You can also teleport to friends in any area of the Spiral while you are a Subscriber. Subscribers will never be prompted to make an additional purchase of an area. Once your subscription expires, you can no longer access those areas, and are restricted to the Free to Play areas of Wizard101.

It makes me sad and mad that rude immature people are causing so many problems. My son was trying to complete a quest in Plaza of Conquests and it was a zoo. It was the same for me. We both had to switch realms a couple of times before we found a quiet one. I wish we could kick people out of our battles or an area. But, that would be a problem too with people abusing it.

I am hoping with school starting things will quiet down a bit. Mind you I don't think all the people causing problems are kids. Some of my favorite friends are kids.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
if you gain access to all worlds simply by paying crowns or having a membership then why is it that I can not go to different worlds I have not unlocked yet on a character through the spiral portal? Why do I have to instead find friends who are in the worlds I have not yet earned access to in order to port to those worlds?

I never said such people should be banned, I said the problem should be stopped so those who do not have world accesses can't port to friends who are in them cause those worlds are supposed to be locked.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
seasnake wrote:
if you gain access to all worlds simply by paying crowns or having a membership then why is it that I can not go to different worlds I have not unlocked yet on a character through the spiral portal? Why do I have to instead find friends who are in the worlds I have not yet earned access to in order to port to those worlds?

I never said such people should be banned, I said the problem should be stopped so those who do not have world accesses can't port to friends who are in them cause those worlds are supposed to be locked.

Seasnake-I understand your frustration. But, KI has given us a path doing the quests that leads to beating Malistaire and saving the Spiral. (The bug has been fixed so now only people with the Final Countdown Quest get the badge.) These quests "earn" you the right to progress through the game.

They also gave us a path to help friends throughout the Spiral regardless of our level or the area we are currently questing in through porting. Porting has helped my friends and I go through the game. My Life wizard helped many upper level people progress. I would port in and help them then leave. My Balance wizard had help from many lower level and upper friends so I could progress. They would port in, help me and leave. What you suggest would end this. Often times the only people on when I needed help were lower levels.
This path is called being a FRIEND and helping others.

Now some people are getting their dander up because some people are causing problems in upper level worlds. I maintain they have the exact same behaviors where they "belong". KI has given us tools to stop people porting to us. They can't force us to use them. They can't force people to be polite or mature. They also gave us the ability to realm hop. We can leave a "bad" area and go to a quiet one.

Rigid "rules" would ruin the game in my opinion. The game is supposed to be FUN. The worst thing to happen is you die and try again or you don't get a big hit. (My friends and I love to build big hits and prefer one hit kills.) At the end of the day this is a GAME, does it really matter? Is it really worth getting so upset over? I come to PLAY and have FUN.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
Pyrsik wrote:
As some other person posted " it was probably something over-looked by KI,and will probably be addressed in the coming patches" like the trading/use of enchanted treasure cards was. You are absolutely correct though. According to the game rules and admin posts reflecting the same, access to the spiral is only for the those who have completed the necessary game requirements/spiral keys. Anyone doing other than that is simply exploiting a weakness in the game and rule implementation. KI should address this issue though. The longer they wait,the more problems are going to arise from it.

I have no problem with it if you're using it to complete say a level 38 or 48 quest, and don't have access to the necessary area yet. I like to do the sidquests before I move on, so I've had many times that I had to wait a while after reaching those levels before I could get the spells that were meant to go with them. The big problem I do have with it is when low level wizards are hanging out in dragonspyre common area and keep spamming me with friend requests. If I actually belong in dragonspyre, I'm not likely going to be doing any of the same things a level 15 or even level 25 wizard is doing. I have no problem with helping out from time to time, but I don't want to be bombarded with constant requests from a low level wizard who wants me to come in and make their battles excessively easy. Nor do I want them popping into the middle of one of my battles and bringing in more high level enemies that I'll have to take care of, as it makes it artificially more difficult for me to win my battles. Not trying to be rude about that, but some of those low level wizards just keep sending requests over and over again until you go somewhere they can't follow.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I have no problem with it if you're using it to complete say a level 38 or 48 quest, and don't have access to the necessary area yet. I like to do the sidquests before I move on, so I've had many times that I had to wait a while after reaching those levels before I could get the spells that were meant to go with them. The big problem I do have with it is when low level wizards are hanging out in dragonspyre common area and keep spamming me with friend requests. If I actually belong in dragonspyre, I'm not likely going to be doing any of the same things a level 15 or even level 25 wizard is doing. I have no problem with helping out from time to time, but I don't want to be bombarded with constant requests from a low level wizard who wants me to come in and make their battles excessively easy. Nor do I want them popping into the middle of one of my battles and bringing in more high level enemies that I'll have to take care of, as it makes it artificially more difficult for me to win my battles. Not trying to be rude about that, but some of those low level wizards just keep sending requests over and over again until you go somewhere they can't follow.

I turned off friend requests. I did it because whenever I went to the bazaar I was bombarded with friend requests. Now I don't have that problem.

I turn off porting when I don't want to be disturbed in a big battle.

It is easy to them on when I need them, even in a battle. I simply hit escape then go to the fifth tab (padlock) and change appropriate settings.