Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Prism question pls help!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
I read differing answers on how prisms work - first on last off, last on first off etc.

Yesterday I did a 1v1 pvp, I go first. I put on a storm shield, then opponent puts on a storm to myth prism. I don't shield next turn, thinking that my storm shield will trigger before the prism. It doesn't and his storm attack hits. I don't understand this, pls help!

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
First off "first on last off" and "last on first off" actually mean the same thing. :)

Anything that revolves around the feet are triggered in the reverse order that they were put down. When he cast his storm spell on you, his prism was activated first (because it was put down after your storm shield) and was converted to myth damage, thereby enabling the full damage to bypass your storm shield.

Anything that revolves around your head are triggered as first on, first off.

Think of these things as actually being layered (even though they show up as revolving around you in a simple circle), with the newer charms and shields (or traps and prisms) being placed over the existing ones. Then imagine a straight line coming from you to your opponent ... this is the path that a spell will travel. As the spell leaves the caster, the first charm is activated first, followed by the second, third, etc. As the spell reaches the opponent, the last shield (or trap or prism) is activated first, followed by the second-to-last, third-to-last, etc. until the spell actually hits the opponent.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
All the traps, shields and prisms trigger in reverse order. In other words, the last one on is the first one to trigger. Think of it as a pile of homework paper: You do the one on the top first, then work your way to the bottom of the pile.

So in your example, you put on a shield first. So it was on the "bottom". Your opponent put on a prism, which was on "top". So the spell he cast hit the prism first and was converted to myth, which went right through your storm shield. Does that make sense?

When using prisms yourself, be sure to have a staff from the opposite school. That way if an enemy shields before you put on a prism (which would then deflect your converted spell) you can knock it out without affecting your prism or wasting an attack.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
If I read this correctly, you put on a storm shield, protecting you from a storm spell. Your opponent then put on a storm to myth convert, making his storm spell turn into Myth.

So you were protected from storm, but the magic that hit you is now Myth.

You would need your storm shield after the prism, so that it reacts before the spell is converted.

Does that make it clearer?

Defender
May 30, 2009
The way the traps come off is first on/last off so it would not have taken the storm shield. Your best bet in a situation like that is to use a tower shield if you have one. In fighting the mob, always try to convert before they have a chance to shield against your opposite. Even then it's a good idea to have, say, a myth wand to take off the shield even if it's on before you get the convert on. Also, if you trap then convert, it won't take the traps either. The order needs to be convert THEN trap. Hope this helps you some.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2010

well it depends on how you do that you used a storm shield right? well you have to put that shield on after he put the prisem on you k. yw :D

Survivor
Jun 06, 2010
you put the shield on first well you got to put it on secnd then it will workk i donr mind help in :D

Just remember the word LIFO
Last In, First Out

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.