Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't get a pet from hatching you can't equip

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
OK, I read the message in the Ravenwood News stating that you can't get a pet from hatching that your character can't equip. I have six wizards on my account, two with level 48 pets. So if I move a school specific pet to a wizard who can't equip it, then hatch with someone who has a pet I can't equip, would that increase my chance of getting a hybrid? Example: I've been trying FOREVER to get a Tempest, but so far I've received three Wraiths and a Grimzilla. If I have my Balance wizard take my Wraith and hatch with a Stormzilla, he can't equip either pet. So, would that mean he can't get a copy and would have to get a hybrid? Or when they say you won't get a pet you can't equip, do they mean you won't get a pet that at least one wizard on your account can't equip?

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Survivor
Jan 07, 2010
very good question i was wondering about this too.

also would i be able to equip a wraith or stormzilla if i hatched it with my helephant.good thing you brought this up

lvl 50 fire grandmaster
devin redust A.K.A fire boy

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
OK, my kids and I have tested this theory twice now: So far, complete SUCCESS! We used our Fire wizard to mix a Hydra and a Wraith (Neither of which she can equip) - And we got a Reaver. Today, we used our Death wizard to mix a Satyr and a Hydra - And we got a Wanderer. Now it could be just a coincidence that we got a hybrid each time we tried this, but I don't think so considering our past record with getting hybrids. For example: Out of six attempts with our Death wizard to get a Tempest, we got five Wraiths and one Grimzilla. So, there you go. Maybe we're on to something here... Has anyone else tested this theory?

Survivor
May 09, 2010
Honestly, I think you got lucky. I like to experiment, so I had my life wizard hatch my wraith and hydra; neither of which he can equip. He received a wraith, which he can not equip...BUT my death wizard who provided the wraith can.

The theory is and at this point all hatching is theory IMO is that what KI meant, is that if you hatch with another person, you will not receive their pet if you would not normally have access to such a pet; but that isn't a promise of an increased chance of receiving a hybrid either.

So if my life wizard had hatched with wizard that had a wraith, I wouldn't receive a wraith because the life wizard wouldn't be able to equip him. I would have either received a Satyr (most likely) or a hybrid. However since I hatched using one wizard, that rule didn't apply since I already had a wraith in my backpack...Therefor, i must be able to equip him, so I received one back.

It doesn't matter which wizard on my account did hatching; as clearly one of them could equip it and provided it.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that's what I wondered about after reading the initial News post: Do they mean that you won't receive a pet that the hatching wizard can't equip, or that you won't receive a pet that at least one wizard on your account can equip? From your experience, it sounds like the latter. Ah, well. We got lucky twice, I guess! Now, if I could just luck into a Tempest...

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
jholmes5 wrote:
However since I hatched using one wizard, that rule didn't apply since I already had a wraith in my backpack...Therefor, i must be able to equip him, so I received one back.

It doesn't matter which wizard on my account did hatching; as clearly one of them could equip it and provided it.

Unless you pass the wraith to another of your wizards and then delete your death wizard. :P Then you could have a wraith and not have a wizard who could equip it.
note: I think deleting a character that is that high would be too painfull to do.
I just wanted to point out the flaw in jholmes5 logic.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
You're assuming that the process is going to care whether or not the wizard that provided the wraith still exists or not. Which is something we don't know.

What I meant by that is, we don't know if the process 'looks' for a suitable wizard on the account that can still equip it or only cares that at some point you must have had a suitable wizard or you wouldn't have the pet and it's now your problem that you deleted it and now have a pet you can't equip.

We don't know how detailed the process is or what criteria is being used to determine what 'ownership' means and how long it lasts.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Sadly, jholmes5 is quite correct... We tried out the theory one more time to try to get that elusive Tempest (Wraith + Stormzilla). We used our Balance wizard and got... ANOTHER Wraith. Ah, well - Two out of three ain't bad, lol. I think I'm done trying for the Tempest for now... Half a dozen Wraiths is enough, lol. They will look great roaming around my wizard house this Halloween, though!

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
jholmes5 wrote:
Honestly, I think you got lucky. I like to experiment, so I had my life wizard hatch my wraith and hydra; neither of which he can equip. He received a wraith, which he can not equip...BUT my death wizard who provided the wraith can.

The theory is and at this point all hatching is theory IMO is that what KI meant, is that if you hatch with another person, you will not receive their pet if you would not normally have access to such a pet; but that isn't a promise of an increased chance of receiving a hybrid either.

That is an interesting point, but I thing a series of trials would be best to confirm whether the likihood of a hypbid is affected by inequipable pet breeding. We'd need a number of breeding attempts to get a good percentage pool.

(Which would be horrifically expensive, granted.)

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
no one can garuntee that you will get a mix everytime, if you have you have been VERY lucky my friend
i have tried only hatching with that wizards school specific pet and i have also tried with a different school pet, so my grand life now has at her 'zoo' several baby satyrs, 2 baby stormzillas, and 2 baby orthrus, several of my others have paid for a 'not their school hatch' and got parent back too

trying withing school bounds, my myth wizard has i believe 5 baby orthrus now, ice has 5-6 colossus (one darkstone), storm has 4 stormzillas (and one frost and burn zillas from a mix), my other life (i h have 2 wizards), has 4-5 satyrs, and one tree guy he got lol, balance has 3? hyrda baby (and a tempest she got from hatch with a tempest), 2 wraiths (one frost wraith from a hatch), lol FIRE WAS LUCKY, she got the ice oni(?) on her first and only hatch try

lol i have earned and spent about 3 million on gold- i added it up lol- it 44k is NOT that much in this game- after all, what else you going to spend it on after houses, mounts, and furniture are all bought?
i am NOT spending crowns (my own real money), just something free in the game that i earn and save up
in meanwhile , lol , i am getting badges too
my older LIFE has all badges now (i do not count pvp, or craft since they are not part of the main game) many of my 11 wizards are filling thos badge slots up

yeah, i'll try hatch again, but for now i have been buying furniture again and or making it (i craft again, just not the badge stuff),
if you plan to keep playing this game past defeating malistaire, then just let things ride

ok back to work,