Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Looking for Group" function for dungeons

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
I REALLY think a "looking for group" function needs to be added to help people find others to go through dungeons. It's difficult trying to find people who want to help with Malistaire, Kensington park, etc. You have to spend a good deal of time asking around for help, sometimes switching realms over and over because you can find no takers, and if you DO find people to help, they may not have time to if it takes you a while to fill out the rest of the team.

I'm thinking a queue system like the one used for PVP would be ideal. You could set restrictions on some of the queues, like limiting certain queues to people who actually have that dungeon quest. Other queues could be set up for those who have already completed that particular dungeon quest, but now want to farm. If these restrictions are not possible, at the very least I would set a minimum level restriction. This restriction could include the earliest level that someone could have actually gotten the quests for whatever dungeon it is. That way, those that actually need to complete the dungeon for a quest would not have to wait in line with those who are not yet at that level. This kind of level restriction is already in place for PVP groups, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to reconfig this for dungeon groups.

You could also add the ability to join a 2, 3, or 4 man team. Waiting for 4 people to join might take a while. If you are willing to go through the dungeon with less than 4, you may be able to get a smaller group together quicker.

To help deter people from joining the group and then leaving once in the dungeon, (not those who leave the queue), you could set it so that people who leave in this manner cannot join another dungeon group for a certain period of time (like, say, and hour?). If someone needs to leave because they no longer have time to do it, or something came up, waiting to rejoin probably wouldn't be an issue since they didn't have time to do it anyway. If someone leaves just to cause problems for the group, then it will be a while before they can join again and I'm betting they will get bored with causing problems since they can't simply run back and join another group.

Something like this would very useful for solo players, but I imagine that even people who keep an active friends list may not always be able to do a dungeon when they want to. Coordinating with friends may prove to be difficult, and this way you could find people who have time to do it right away.

Cat

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
I wholeheartedly suggest a group setting Option starting around level 20 - 25, in which each spot on the duel circle is filled unless a person is invited to a group.

It isn't that I'm elitist or dislike people - I like playing with other people & I like helping people - just that I'm tired of people joining a fight, not doing a single thing until after having sat there with full seven pips for sometimes several rounds, not even bothering to select the pass option, until the last opponent's hit points have been lowered to one or two hits then conveniently remembering that they're in a duel.

This typically would not bother me at all except that if I flee all of my mana is gone. Another reason is that extra opponent or two can sometimes make a difference in how a duel turns out & I feel that I shouldn't have to choose a sparsely populated realm to avoid this.

It is very frustrating. Very, very frustrating. Very.

In any case, here is how I see this going: Y'open the social window, click over to the group page & at the bottom is a small box to click; "closed group". By selecting that box all positions are filled except to those whom are in that group. Y'can invite people to join as you normally would. To avoid confusion - because of the swirly placeholder - the color would change to greentint to someone in the group. This option would not apply to dungeons.

I feel this option would be of great assistance to anyone who prefers to solo, tightly-knit groups and anyone who dislikes piggy backers.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
I have been using the group function for a bit playing with my wife and I have noticed a few things that make a huge ? appear above my head.

this is just me asking other peoples opinions as well as understanding if it is a under-developed function.

the things I've noticed is it does very little, so far I have seen the "reserved slot" function which I am unsure even prevents that spot from being filled. I have noticed it gives no player benefits such as bonus exp, or any such group bonus. Grouping never asks you to join a battle, nor to set you up in a similar quest.

So far I have gathered befriending someone is just a more permanent grouping function.

If you know something I don't about it lemme know, there is very little information on the topic that I can find as a somewhat new player.

While I'm on the topic, here is a few idea to throw around for increasing group effectiveness.

1. Loot sharing option (more loot for everyone, or at least increased odds?)
2. locked duels when in a group (no more odd end joiners, I'm in a group buddy!)
3. Group Quest(Quest that requires friends, I say please and thank you being social is a good thing!)
4. Extra Exp for groups(encouraging people to work together is great!)
5. Quest Sharing(share a quest if it is available to the other person E.G. "did you grab that quest from tom in town, don't worry here I'll share it saves you a trip )

And I bet you guys have other great idea's, not sure if you can post them here or in the suggestions board, but hey let me know how you guys feel about it currently.

Naruchico, Aka Angel the balance wizard

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
Hello all.

I've been playing wizard 101 for awhile now and just got to Celestia and having great difficulty with dungeons and boss rooms that quests demand to be cleared. (although i am playing the worst school for a solo wizard xD ice in my opinion)

Although the occasional friend will come to help with such quests, i never see many dungeons have 4 people in them and found that many people seem to just rely on trying to make a super solo wizard instead of trying to get a group together for a dungeon or boss which is rather difficulty as many people cant be bothered to help or the people doing the same quest are spread out along all the realms, so its rare to bump into someone on the same dungeon/quest.

I wasn't sure if someone has come up with it already (i wouldn't be surprised as is does seem like a logical thing to suggest) but maybe a group finding system that you can activate near the pedestals of a dungeon or boss that allows you to pair up with other players and then takes you all to the same realm and can do the dungeon as a 4 man group, instead of all this soloing, as i'm aware alot of younger players seem to have trouble preparing for and completing boss fights by themselves at the later levels like celestia and Dragonspyre.
I dont know but there may be negatives that i haven't worked out yet but all in all i just thought it'd make the game more social with fights and could actually help improve the use of roles for classes, for e.g. an ice wizard tanks while a life heals, storm does Damage and balance buffs people up (shields and blades everyone). I just think it'd improve the playing experiences for everyone.

As i'm sure we can all agree, dungeons and bosses, well all fights in general go faster and are less stressful when others are helping.

Anyway thank you all for reading Like i said before, didn't know if this topic had been brought up before and didn't feel like going through all the topics to find it if it has.... as i see it as being very time consuming

Malvin Redtail, lv49 thaumaturge

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi Malvin,

We have talked around this topic for a few years now. As Kingurz noted in an earlier thread, it's time to bring the topic to the attention of KI developers and provide them with examples from other games that provide such a grouping mechanism.

I find it telling that you are encountering the need for grouping at exactly the place many of us believe the game was geared toward the hard core player, instead of the family audience the game was originally designed to serve. LOL, I guarantee that you are not alone.

Could you follow up with suggestions for how the grouping might work and examples from other games?

I'm sure quite a few of the more senior wizards here would be interested in discussing the matter in further detail.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb

Survivor
Oct 20, 2009
You can always go to Wizard101central.com & ask for help from the mercenaries for hire group.
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

Survivor
Aug 20, 2011
Connorashwood on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Hello all.

I've been playing wizard 101 for awhile now and just got to Celestia and having great difficulty with dungeons and boss rooms that quests demand to be cleared. (although i am playing the worst school for a solo wizard xD ice in my opinion)

Although the occasional friend will come to help with such quests, i never see many dungeons have 4 people in them and found that many people seem to just rely on trying to make a super solo wizard instead of trying to get a group together for a dungeon or boss which is rather difficulty as many people cant be bothered to help or the people doing the same quest are spread out along all the realms, so its rare to bump into someone on the same dungeon/quest.

I wasn't sure if someone has come up with it already (i wouldn't be surprised as is does seem like a logical thing to suggest) but maybe a group finding system that you can activate near the pedestals of a dungeon or boss that allows you to pair up with other players and then takes you all to the same realm and can do the dungeon as a 4 man group, instead of all this soloing, as i'm aware alot of younger players seem to have trouble preparing for and completing boss fights by themselves at the later levels like celestia and Dragonspyre.
I dont know but there may be negatives that i haven't worked out yet but all in all i just thought it'd make the game more social with fights and could actually help improve the use of roles for classes, for e.g. an ice wizard tanks while a life heals, storm does Damage and balance buffs people up (shields and blades everyone). I just think it'd improve the playing experiences for everyone.

As i'm sure we can all agree, dungeons and bosses, well all fights in general go faster and are less stressful when others are helping.

Anyway thank you all for reading Like i said before, didn't know if this topic had been brought up before and didn't feel like going through all the topics to find it if it has.... as i see it as being very time consuming

Malvin Redtail, lv49 thaumaturge
^-^ This is the best idea I have ever heard. You are a stinking genious. Be my friend. Please.

Elizabeth Spiritflame
Level 70 Pyrommancer

"You only need out if you get in"

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Soloing with ice is pretty hard until you are done with celestia. After that, ice becomes awesome, i soloed most of zf (minus mirror lake), and a good amount of avalon too. An ice even soloed xibalba! So dont lose hope!

But back on topic, i think that it is a good idea. It should be optional, because some people want to solo (like me: I have soloed all of Azteca so far {im at saltwater swamp})

But overall, I just have to say +1

--Blaze Icecloud, Level 82 Thaumaturge--

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
Canny B Moone on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Hi Malvin,

We have talked around this topic for a few years now. As Kingurz noted in an earlier thread, it's time to bring the topic to the attention of KI developers and provide them with examples from other games that provide such a grouping mechanism.

I find it telling that you are encountering the need for grouping at exactly the place many of us believe the game was geared toward the hard core player, instead of the family audience the game was originally designed to serve. LOL, I guarantee that you are not alone.

Could you follow up with suggestions for how the grouping might work and examples from other games?

I'm sure quite a few of the more senior wizards here would be interested in discussing the matter in further detail.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb
Thank you all for the replies, they have been greatly appreciated

Anywho, i was thinking about what you said Qbb and came up with a few characteristics to help improve the group match making accordingly.

I was thinking the setup could be similar to the PvP match making that KI already has, where the player has a list of available groups to choose from. As well as displaying each player's school and level in the created groups.

What i came up with to make sure all the dungeons and bosses dont get muddled up in one long list is that. The player would first stand on a separate swirling pedestals that may be next to the existing four outside the desired dungeon they would like to complete (i made it a separate pedestal so that players still have the option of going in solo or may already have someone with them and can easily just go in instead of going through the entire match making process) after standing on the pedestal a window opens showing a match making list giving the option to join a group or to create a group. The window will also display a list of other groups that were created over all the realms for that specific dungeon, To ensure a high possibility of someone else having the same quest.

After the group has been formed to the creators desires (The creator of the group may choose how many slots are open to the group, for e.g they may only want 2 people in the group instead of the maximum of 4) the creator will then be ported to inside the dungeon where the other players associated with the group will be ported to the same dungeon on the same realm as the creator.

( sorry if its hard to understand, i didn't know how to word it any other way) Its a rough idea and i continue to come up with more characteristics for it but that is the draft copy of what i had originally thought of. Please any suggestions or feed back would be great

Also thank you guys again for posting replies as it is my first time posting on the message boards
Let me know what you's think and how to improve it if need be.

~ Malvin

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hey Malvin,

Thanks for the follow up information. I love your idea! It would be a nice use of the existing PvP matching system, re-purposed to help PvE groups form up. We have needed this sort of mechanism for a very long time.

Let's keep this thread going, and see if we can't get some positive attention from other like-minded wizards :)

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
This type of game option is on alot of other games and i dont know why KI has never implimented this into the game yet. It makes things so much easier.