Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Realm for people over 18

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
I posted a comment about turning off bubbles of anyone under 18 and got bashed by a bunch of little kids :( I just thought the developers should offer me (in setup) to hide bubbles of anyone under 18.. What's wrong with that? I have nothing against kids (well, sometimes while playing they do get a little silly and i'm pretty tired of seeing .... sheet).

My wife suggested that they should have realms for just adults!! I thought that was a great idea. There's a place and time for everything, and sometimes you just want to enjoy the company of another adult.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
There was nothing wrong with your suggestion. I think it has merits and expressed them in my reply. Why even let what children say in a rebuttal offend you?

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
From what I gather from reading the posts here KI can't keep track of birthdays of those under 13 yrs. So your idea has a major problem right there.

The adult only realm has many posts in the boards. I personally don't like that idea. I am an adult player almost a Grand in my years LOL. I like having kids around. I think we adults can monitor stuff and perhaps nip inappropriate things in bud. I have friends of all ages. One friend calls me his cyber mom.

I would suggest you turn off chat bubbles and ignore any conversation not directed at you. I suspect many things that bug you would happen in an adult only realm. More annoying things may happen there without the presence of kids to curb some things.

I have had players ask me if I want to date them etc. I ignore them and switch realms. Prospector Zeke should I report those come ons? (I will re-read the section on what is and is not a reportable offense.)
I have been worrying about a child meeting someone bad in real life from those come ons.

I really disagree with all the calls to exclude kids form certain areas/ limit their text or limit adult/kid interaction on the game. It is supposed to be a family oriented game. We adults need to learn how to get along with everyone regardless of age. My son plays and my friends enjoying helping him. They say he is a nice polite kids and fun to battle with.

Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer
Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theraugist

Adherent
May 20, 2010
There are two main problems with implementing the idea:

1) Some accounts may have both adults and children playing different wizards, or the same wizard may be played by both adults and children.

2) It would require a brand new flag for 18+, which would be a pain to program in, since there's already a 13+ flag.

Even if it were feasible, I don't like the idea of a realm restricted by age.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Note the award VOTED BEST FAMILY GAME OF 2009. Dont like it dont play. Yeah I am a kid. I am not trying to "bash on you" but the game is aimed for the family. Which includes children. If you don't like the kids the best thing I could suggest is to either quit or, play on relams with less people. Because I am sure about 75% of the players are summed up of people under 18 years old.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
From what I gather from reading the posts here KI can't keep track of birthdays of those under 13 yrs. So your idea has a major problem right there.
Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer
Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theraugist

You are incorrect. KI does not need to know a child's birthday to filter out under 18+ chat as he is suggesting. Also,a adult only or subscriber only world would purely be an optional thing as most have proposed it. If you like kids,then you or no one else has to participate. There is nothing wrong with him suggesting an option for those who do want to distance themselves from children for whatever reason. Anyone who bashes him for a purely optional suggestion just adds more merit to his proposal.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:
The adult only realm has many posts in the boards. I personally don't like that idea. I am an adult player almost a Grand in my years LOL. I like having kids around. I think we adults can monitor stuff and perhaps nip inappropriate things in bud. I have friends of all ages. One friend calls me his cyber mom.

That's just the thing, the adult only realm he is suggesting is not a real that is required by all adults to go to. You would still be able to say on the realm that your son, your friends, his friends, and any other minors are playing on. Its your choice now (and if this suggestion happens then too) what server you park your characters on and isn't forced upon you other than the "full" servers just because of a numbers issue.

Firefan02 wrote:
I have had players ask me if I want to date them etc. I ignore them and switch realms. Prospector Zeke should I report those come ons? (I will re-read the section on what is and is not a reportable offense.)

Yes they have already said that if you see this type of talking going on to report it. I wasn't aware that it was a reportable offense until just today but I will surely start reporting people now that I know KI wants you to do that.

Firefan02 wrote:
I have been worrying about a child meeting someone bad in real life from those come ons.

Luckily with this chat system you are unable to give out personal information that would help someone get in contact with you. The chat system has its flaws for other things but as far as protecting minors its a good system.