Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What should be my secondary school?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
I am lvl fourty two and buying back my training points i am life and originally had myth as my second school. Should i choose ice or fire or stay the same?

Defender
Apr 08, 2009
monta500 wrote:
I am lvl fourty two and buying back my training points i am life and originally had myth as my second school. Should i choose ice or fire or stay the same?

I would choose fire. The fire spells are way more powerful then the ice spells. Fire also does not fizzle as much as ice.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
most will go death up to feint for the feint trap alone... going ice up to tower shield is very advisable (not only do you get the tower shield but you also get a fire/storm shield which is very usefull)

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I don't subscribe to using any offensive high-pip magic from schools outside of the main one, since they're a waste of power pips.

Feint adds a lot of punch to our spells. That costs 7 training points.

The Tower Shield is useful and also gives us the Volcanic Shield, which protects us from the two high-damage schools of Storm and Fire. That's another 5 training points.

If you do a lot of soloing, you might get the Spirit Blade and Trap from Niles, as well as Reshuffle. If you run with a lot of groups, you might also want the Elemental Blade and Trap.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Ice up to Tower Shield (this will also give your Fire/Storm shield), and Death up to Feint.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
This is my life build:
Death to feint.
Ice to tower shield.
Spirit blade and trap from Niles (balance tree)
Balance to weakness
Reshuffle from spell vendor on Colossus Blvd.

Thinking on it now I probably should have gotten the element blade and trap instead of getting weakness since I spend so much time in support positions as a life wizard.

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
Why did you change your secondary? I would try fire, since you already have a defence.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
Myth was a bad choice IMO and this is what you should do.

Ice to tower shield; death to feint and the two spells covering life and death from Niles the tree in Krokotopia.

Don't go fire, it would be a big mistake, if you want to use just one school, storm is more powerful and the fizzle rate isn't that much of a difference. For the small percentage fizzle difference, storm is a better option. Still the bolded option is your best option.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Personally, I would choose spells that help you out with your main school. Using attack spells from an off school is usually pretty inefficient once you start getting power pips on a regular basis. If you think you may occassionally need an off school attack spell, just look through your treasure cards and use those.

Things like the triple blade and triple trap from the balance tree in krok are good things to have, as is feint. Since your main is life, you obviously don't need healing spells, but any boosts you can find would be a great addition. Reshuffle may also be a spell you could use to keep a low card count, efficient deck. The less cards in your deck, the better chance of getting what you need when you need it. Then, when you run out of cards, use reshuffle and get them all back (except for any treasure cards you have cast - once you cast those, they are gone for good).

Spend the points on these kinds of spells and save the rest for the new spells that are supposed to be coming out when Celestia is released. Complete secondary schools, to me anyway, always seemed to be a waste of training points, or at the very least, an inefficient way to play. I made that mistake with my first character. I was fire, and spent training points to get every storm spell I could. I never use them and am considering buying them all back to get things that will actually help me.

Cat

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
koolboy222 wrote:
monta500 wrote:

I would choose fire. The fire spells are way more powerful then the ice spells.

Agreed: If you go down the route of useing Fire vs Ice, for a secondary? My choice would be Fire aswell. But if you go down the route of not caring about Fire or Ice, I would go with death for a life secondary. It worked well with my Life wiz.

You have both the opposite schools of boss/elite NPC's you come across.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
If I were you would wait on the new secondary schools coming out

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I would actually say storm, because life has fairly weak attacks, and storm has strong attacks. i am base storm secondary life and i do pretty well :D

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
vb73 wrote:
I would actually say storm, because life has fairly weak attacks, and storm has strong attacks. i am base storm secondary life and i do pretty well :D

Yeah my Grand diviner is that combo. Life being secondary. It does do well. The only problem I have with Storm, besides the poor FIZZLE rate. Some of the good damage spells do cost a good amount of Pips. I dunno Life being main, with low attacks, then waiting on PiPs to cast a good Storm spell? May be a problem, but people adapt and overcome, so it could work, as Storm being a secondary for Life. You never know till you try.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
koolboy222 wrote:
monta500 wrote:

I would choose fire. The fire spells are way more powerful then the ice spells.

I would stay the same. Fire may be powerful, but it has a very low percentage rate, meaning it misses 1/4 of the time. And Ice is high percentage, but putting ice and life together makes it a very low-damage team. Myth is high-percentage and is very powerful. I know that because I am a Grandmaster Wizard x2. [Fire and Myth]

Pyromancer[Fire] Blaze Shadowblade Level 50
Conjurer[Myth] Blake Raincatcher Level 57

Defender
Apr 08, 2009
bravevline wrote:

Are there any new schools coming out?

Defender
Apr 08, 2009
vb73 wrote:

the only problem is that storm has like a 90 percent chance of fizzling.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
koolboy222 wrote:
bravevline wrote:

Are there any new schools coming out?
Yes, there will be 3 new secondary schools coming with the Celestia expansion.

Survivor
May 08, 2010
chose death and then you can learn spirt blade/trap on the way. belive it or not foes are good together.

Defender
May 10, 2010
Choose ice! If you are myth and you have minions/so so attacks Shields would help you out a lot in battle. But also life so you could heal. But storm would be higher attacks but fizzles a lot. Death is good. But also fizzles a lot. So I really do not know? With ice you can take on high amounts of damage with out getting defeated. So really I don't know?

Survivor
May 31, 2009
I would say if you chose an elemental school (Storm,Fire,Ice) get death as a secondary because you get feint and that is an unbelievably useful boost however if you are a spirit school (Death,Life,Myth) get fire as a secondary for a little more power plus a hit all spell If you are balance i recommend death as a secondary for feint to give you a massive boost on all balance spells especially judgment

Chase Stormsword
Grandmaster Diviner
Aedan Dawnglade
Grandmaster Theurgist

Explorer
Jun 11, 2010
I would chose fire in a heart beat. It has way better spells than ice. Trust me this is coming from a fire wizard. But if you were to chose another school after fire, chose storm. Storm is really good too.