Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

card at ancient not cool

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 22, 2009
why do some pets give cards at ancient it takes way to long to get a pet to ancient for a card i want to use at least make it to where pets give cards at adult instead of ancient

Delver
Mar 08, 2009
Mosado wrote:
why do some pets give cards at ancient it takes way to long to get a pet to ancient for a card i want to use at least make it to where pets give cards at adult instead of ancient

it's the same thing as the myth leprechaun, the card it gives at ancient is 90 damage and lowers threat so the death and life leprechaun are much more effective then the myth one but you got to admit that the myth leprechaun is cool looking .
Cheyenne PixieSinger
Grandmaster Life

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Some of them are required to get to epic. That is worth complaining about, this isn't

Survivor
Sep 13, 2009
I know i got a brand new Life Minotaur hatching but it take till ancient to get the card :( it tough to get thats another thing, anyways hope you make it to adult at least

Sincerly,
Valkoor ThunderCaster
Master Conjurer

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
Mosado wrote:

There are pets that give at adult so dude stop complaining and get a Brown Spider!

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
fourmyant wrote:
Mosado wrote:

There are pets that give at adult so dude stop complaining and get a Brown Spider!

STOP THAT! You don't have to agree but dont think just because you personally dont have a problem everyone should think like you.

Adult or ancient the problem is in order to get the card you have to pay for it and this game is in NO SHORT SUPPLY or ways to charge its members, I seem to be alone in finding this a bit ironic. How is it that a game that is full-on marketing to children so expensive?

And why I understand the company needs to make money -- which makes the world go round -- this is STILL a recession and we are all trying to make our money stretch. I wish KI remembers this as it finds new ways to make money.

There is nothing wrong with 10,000 or 5,000 hatching, this isn't a tangable product its a mock product that we can not take with us when we leave.

But the truth is we can and would buy more, if they were cheaper. So you make more money. If i have to save for months to buy something and it turns out that after I buy it, its not what I wanted try holding your breath till I do it again. If its cheap I will try till it comes out right.

But the charges to hatch the pet than to train the pet may the idea of a pet too costly. Who is really losing if I dont spend my money? Certainly not me.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
AlecVolterra wrote:
Some of them are required to get to epic. That is worth complaining about, this isn't

Amen i got my minotaur pet to epic and it was hard

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Sojourna wrote:
fourmyant wrote:
Mosado wrote:

STOP THAT! You don't have to agree but dont think just because you personally dont have a problem everyone should think like you.

Adult or ancient the problem is in order to get the card you have to pay for it and this game is in NO SHORT SUPPLY or ways to charge its members, I seem to be alone in finding this a bit ironic. How is it that a game that is full-on marketing to children so expensive?

And why I understand the company needs to make money -- which makes the world go round -- this is STILL a recession and we are all trying to make our money stretch. I wish KI remembers this as it finds new ways to make money.

There is nothing wrong with 10,000 or 5,000 hatching, this isn't a tangable product its a mock product that we can not take with us when we leave.

But the truth is we can and would buy more, if they were cheaper. So you make more money. If i have to save for months to buy something and it turns out that after I buy it, its not what I wanted try holding your breath till I do it again. If its cheap I will try till it comes out right.

But the charges to hatch the pet than to train the pet may the idea of a pet too costly. Who is really losing if I dont spend my money? Certainly not me.

Hatching a pet, training a pet, and even buying a pet all can be done with IN GAME GOLD. It does not cost a dime of real money. The only time it cost real money is when someone doesn't have the patience to train the pet with regular snacks bought at the bazaar or found in drops.

I have trained several pets to Epic without spending a dime of real money. I have also hatched without spending real money. KI listened to their customers and lowered the price to half of what it used to be. If they lower the price anymore then everyone in game could have a rare pet without taking the time to EARN it.

Many of the pets that doesn't give a card until adult, ancient, or epic are the same pets that were nothing more than eye candy before the pet update. These are the same pets that people only used when walking around the commons because they didn't offer anything useful during battle. At least now we are given a chance of getting something useful from them and in the process making every wizard unique.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
superluther wrote:

Hatching a pet, training a pet, and even buying a pet all can be done with IN GAME GOLD. It does not cost a dime of real money. The only time it cost real money is when someone doesn't have the patience to train the pet with regular snacks bought at the bazaar or found in drops.

I have trained several pets to Epic without spending a dime of real money. I have also hatched without spending real money. KI listened to their customers and lowered the price to half of what it used to be. If they lower the price anymore then everyone in game could have a rare pet without taking the time to EARN it.

Many of the pets that doesn't give a card until adult, ancient, or epic are the same pets that were nothing more than eye candy before the pet update. These are the same pets that people only used when walking around the commons because they didn't offer anything useful during battle. At least now we are given a chance of getting something useful from them and in the process making every wizard unique.

Luther you are right, it cost gold. But the cost of hatching then training, then snacks all the way to ancient from baby can cost you up wards of 300k in some cases and I have been playing this game for years and I know you'd have to farm non-stop for weeks to make it. That time plus the time it takes to train and in some cases get the drop is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that all of this is said and done you have spent weeks on one pet.

And you say you have done several the old fashion way NO SHORT CUTS - that is more time than I have on my hands. So KI can get the die-hards like you who, by their own admission, can spend the time and do it free or they can lower the prices and make more money from those inclined to take short cuts.

What amazes me is that while the wizards may look like kids most of the people I meet are adults here. Why is this process of speaking one's mind like standing up againts a "rule" the principal made and the students just take at face value.

There is a logic to this point stop blindly defending the bright side and think about the other side for a moment. People who complain do see the brighter side they just dont think its enough.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Sojourna, from what you are saying in your posts here, if the cost of training a pet, hatching a pet or buying snacks were cheaper then you would spend more. Is that correct? You also stated that due to the recession, most people don't have the extra money to be spending on these items.

I will reiterate what SuperLuther stated before, it can all be done with in-game gold. Even though it does take time to gather the gold/snacks, there is no reason to purchase any snack packs with crowns. I can take two hours of farming the coven in GH (and generally speaking most players are on longer than 2 hours) and have enough stuff to sell to buy the snacks needed to train my pet for the day and then some. If you have been playing for years as you stated, then you should already have enough snacks in your arsenal to feed several pets while training.

Patience is a virtue as the old saying goes and it certainly applies here. If you aren't willing to pay the price that they have set, then there are plenty of ways to get around it, namely taking the time to farm for what you want.
Also, I can farm enough in 3 days to obtain enough gold to hatch AND buy snacks if needed so I know it's doable.

As an avid pet collector, there are plenty of pets I can purchase with crowns or gold, but why in the world would I do that when I can just as easily get them from a drop? It just takes time. And as far as training all those pets, it's up to me which ones I think would be useful enough to me to train them to get the benefits they have. Again, more time spent to gain what I want/need.

This is the same problem as when the mounts first came out or when they implemented the second chance chests. A mount is not needed to play the game and there is no need to throw in crowns into a chest to complete a quest. Both of those things are optional just as the snack packs are. You, being the adult, get to decide if you think it's worth your hard earned money or not.

I don't think that anyone is missing the point of this, I just think that you have two choices to this dilemma: 1. You can take the time to farm for the things you need (and really a few hours farming isn't really that bad) and then WORK for what you are trying to achieve, or 2. Pay the price that they have set.

Recession or no, you will spend your money the way you want to. I just can't see where spending 1000 crowns on a snack pack is any different than spending 2500 on one. Either you have the money to blow on a game or you don't.

I guess the big question here is do you have the patience to work for what you want or would you rather just throw some money at it and do it the easy way?

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Sojourna wrote:
superluther wrote:

Luther you are right, it cost gold. But the cost of hatching then training, then snacks all the way to ancient from baby can cost you up wards of 300k in some cases and I have been playing this game for years and I know you'd have to farm non-stop for weeks to make it. That time plus the time it takes to train and in some cases get the drop is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that all of this is said and done you have spent weeks on one pet.

And you say you have done several the old fashion way NO SHORT CUTS - that is more time than I have on my hands. So KI can get the die-hards like you who, by their own admission, can spend the time and do it free or they can lower the prices and make more money from those inclined to take short cuts.

What amazes me is that while the wizards may look like kids most of the people I meet are adults here. Why is this process of speaking one's mind like standing up againts a "rule" the principal made and the students just take at face value.

There is a logic to this point stop blindly defending the bright side and think about the other side for a moment. People who complain do see the brighter side they just dont think its enough.

In your post, you stated it takes real money to get a pet to ancient or epic. I was merely stating it doesn't. Yes, it takes a little time. But not hours and hours of time. I only spend a half hour to an hour training, a pet, but not everyday. The remainder of my time in game i farm or I help others. Doing this, I get tons of snacks. This doesn't even cost in game money.

I have nothing against anyone speaking their mind. Everyone in this country has the right...including ME. You have your opinion, and I have mine. This does not make me wrong, nor does it mean i BLINDLY follow the bright side as you so eloquently put it.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I take back the phrase "blindly following" it is a bit insulting. But your post (luther) was a bit dismissive.

As for the other person; yes patience is a virtue. And I too collect pet drops and love all the new pets. I collect them and release them in my house to roam. It great. That said the update is still too costly. Although you are advocating going the route of time consuming, drop, hatch and train.

The truth is getting a pet to epic is not a small amount of time even when you are using all mega snacks. Oh and none of this explains why "Hatching" is as costly as it is. Just because you can farm for gold does not mean you have that kind of time. I dont even allow my kids to spend more than an hour a day on this.

My post isnt about just complaining to "get the man" its about solutions that could be benefical to both the members and KI. Adults and Kids alike can not afford the time or money. Yes there are those of us who spend a great deal time here, but that is not the standard that is the except.

If KI wants to make the cards ancient only then start the pet drops at teen. The truth is when you got a rare drop before the update you got the card. For collectors (like myself) this was why we spent HOURS, days and weeks farming. We all talked about this on these very boards and other fansites. Now, pets are being treated as if they are new and we have to start from scratch to mature and even "drops" cost.

I cant help but feeling like it asking too much. I would not go into a resturant expecting to dine on steak and then after my dinner is served I am faced with a raw steak and seasonings and told to make it myself.

What am I paying for? I recently bought a pet and then trained it, it was life and all the "abilities" it acquired through training were Myth how does this make sense. I spent a great deal of money to hatch with a friend. Some of the money I earn in the game the rest i got from a crowns purchase and after all that I got the same pet I started with and it had less ability then the first. Does this make sense?

It was like I just wasted my money and my time.

Another thing, why is it that TWO people have to pay? Why can't I help a friend hatch a pet and not have to want one myself?

I am not saying that there arent many sides to this story I am just saying that this stand that KI is taking that its their game their rules and if you dont like it too bad isn't cool.

I started playing this game for a couple of seasons now and I watched the Zeke gear go from powerful to almost no power, the members complained and they boosted the stats, now the zeke clothes are sold in stores and I would but them at all.

I have read many times why KI says it makes its changes. I want the reasons to make sense but they dont always. I realized that this company like all companies have a bottom line, and good for them. Congrats on their success, but I cant help but feel like they are ignoring the very members who have helped them reach thier success.

And historically, any business that does not listen AND respond to the desires, needs and complains of the customers soon find themselves wondering why they are losing capital and in a desparate act raise prices on the ones who remain.

This never works. So while this is all academic, I am have no doubt that if KI screens these posts they are aware of the anger and confusion.

The problem is they are doing what many other multi-player games do on its way to oblivion - it is hoping that this will all blow over and soon their now "defeated" membership will except this and stop chasing that ghost.

Oh and sutton, its not about having the money to "blow" or not its about having the money and not wanting to to blow it on excess. I could have a million crowns but I DONT want to use 999,999 of it on one action (that is random at that) that is what a recession means it not that we are all broke. It means that we dont have excess, we are not working on a budget.

I hope this helps clear up my point. Lastly three days of at least 4-5 hours a day playing this game is not exactly how I like to spend my time. And I usually play pvp most of the time, but lately i have been farming for pets and gold and in the last 5 days i made 13,000 in gold and it may be 20,000 after i sell drops but niether one of those figures are near enough to hatch let alone train to ancient (and forget about epic) that requires 250 points for adult and 500 for anient and 1000 for epic the average snack drop tops off at about 10 points althougher.

So tell me what am I doing wrong that you all seem to be aware of? I am happy to modify my style.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
You don't always have to train your pet, even if it has a card. It's your choice.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
You are absolutely right no one has to train a pet, nor do we have to hatch OR try for drops. This is all our decision.

However, that is not really the point of this conversation. In fact it sounds like you dont have to play the game just because you dont 100% agree with the rules.

This is true too and you know what if I started the game now then I would say you are right. Its one thing to buy a membership knowing full well what they game rules are but its quite another to have joined the game and have the rules changed.

I dont have a problem with the change per se, I have a problem with the lack of thought put into the members. It seems all the updates in the last year are about how KI can make money. (I can actually imagine the meetings) But while finding new ways to make a profit is not bad in and of itself, Charging so much for this service, is outrageous. Especially considering that pets are not costly. If you buy one you have to train it to get the card. Let's not kid ourselves most of us buy these pets for their talents and cards.

Bottomline, and I mean it this time, is this is has become costly and unfairly so. I remember the term highway robbery, used to be used to coined when a vender would draw you into a situation with low prices then once you get there you realize that they charge you do everyone save breathing.

Ask yourself when was the last time wizard101 added a service that helped its members enjoy the game and not charged anything for it. And dont say GH because you have to be at a certain level to get there and the ONLY way to level up a free membership is to constantly play WC bosses for months.

The service itself is not cheap but after you buy the membership you buy the gear, you buy the pet, you buy the housing, you buy the spells, you buy the snacks and everything else. Even their so called give-aways require that you buy subscribtions most time.

I would just like to thank KI for a great game and for its appreciation for all the loyalty and purchases of its membership. Oh you ask what appreciations am I referring to? Exactly!

Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
Is hatching costly? Not if U got the gold. Then its free

Is pet traing time consuming and a bit of a pain? Yes it is.

But to all this business about needing gold to buy snacks for training and hatching and how it takes so long to farm gold... This should help out everyone.

Note gold farming is very slow at low levels because the gear U collect are not worth much. But once U reach Mooshu, the gear starts selling for a pretty penny and even more so in DragonSpyre and greatly in CL...

Now here is a farming tip for everyone. 1st off it helps a lot if you have equipment that raises your power pip chance. Aside from that, kill everything with your highest rank spells... The higher the rank the greater chances for rare drops... This is even more true for bosses, but only if they die last, so with bosses, kill the minions 1st.

I've noticed that i get a lot more drops when I kill with Centaur than with Little Gold Horder, Tree, & Superfairy. ( Yes I invented my own names for those spells ) Anyway I stormed all the way through MS with just Centaur in my deck and are curently in DS doing the same thing.

Every battle, & I mean ALL of them ends in item drops. I dont always get equipment, but I ( ALWAYS ) get reagents & snacks... I got more snacks than i know what to do with let alone gold. About 80% of my battles end with an equipment drop worth between 500-2000 gold a piece. U can max out your gold count pretty quick with just a couple hrs of farming in MS or DS. I've done it several times now. And as for buying snacks to train my pets; I never bought 1 snack with gold or crowns. I won all my snacks; no lie.

I always have snacks for my pets because by the time my pet power globe fills up, I've collected a 100 more snacks as item drops. AND all that rare gear in DS i collect sells for 1000-2000 gold a piece. I went out straight farming one time and in 2 hrs made 180,000 gold selling DS gear. I spent all of it over time and now have 170,000 gold saved up again... I find my self having to spend my gold to keep below 200,000 b/c thats all U can carry. U know U are making bank when U have to spend your money to make room for more. My life house and my tiger mount, all bought with gold. I even WON a lot of Crowns Only items like pink dandelions and ninja figs & some Crowns Only housing items from battles.

So when U kill... kill BIG like with a 6 pip or higher spells. U will soon find yourself flooded with reagents, SNACKS, and gold. Oh YEAH

Survivor
May 19, 2010
Sojourna wrote:
Adults and Kids alike can not afford the time or money.

They may not be able to afford the game but they do regardless of the recession as it gives them happiness, and it passes the time.
not to mention that a subscription for a family is only 7 bucks a month, standard is 10. people spend more on coffee a week than a W101 subscription a month.
(time) Note that if you watch the realms list on weekends when most of the people are on, (even on holidays, american thanksgiving was horrid) its over crowded with two/three pages of full realms, then everynight from 4pm to about 9pm the lag is horrible from the increase of kids coming home from school, and adults getting off work.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
I agree. Even crafting snacks takes me a week to go from Adult to Ancient. That's IF I get mostly perfects in the games and have about 40 snacks.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
I can easily get a pet to Adult in a Single Day with the right NON CROWNS snacks and running the maze. Yes, getting to Ancient may take another week, and Epic another 2 weeks, but hey, at least it's in-game gold, and with Celestia we are in NO short order of gold... In fact, I finally got my carousel due to gardening and buying up stone blocks, frost flowers, and grendelweed in bazaar.

------------------------------------------

If you use a +6 Stat snack, and get a 4 in a game, you only have to play 13 (26 Energy) games to get from Baby to Teen and another 25 (100 Energy) from Teen to Adult. Adult to Ancient is another 50 games (300 Energy), and finally from Ancient to Epic is another 100 games (800 Energy).

+6 Snacks are available commonly at the Bazaar. You can also use a +5 Snack of your pets school that it 'Likes'. This will make it a +6. Over all, you're looking at 188 games for 1,226 Energy needed.

It's not all that bad, so chill out and realize they could have made it cost crowns instead.