Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Damage Over Time Spells Not Affected By +%

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
I have the lightning hound that does 120 damage per pip over 3 turns. His spell does not get affected by a % increase card. The descriptions all say increase the next spell. I know that on my death life wizard that the heal over time pixie spell is affected by a % increase for heals.

I'm just wondering if it is only that card I have that it's not working for or if in general the Damage Over Time spells do not receive bonuses?

When I use my lightning hound card it only increases the first turns damage and uses the % increase card hovering around the monster.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
A similar thing happens to me. (Main character is fire school). When i use a damage over time spell, my wards increase the damage, but my clothing boosts don't.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
For Storm Hound, the 120 dmg / pip spent. I found that it is not affected by Hex, which should make the next spell do +30%. Fire Elf works with it. Storm Hound is affected by my lightning self +%. I haven't gotten high enough to get the +% toward enemies yet. I'll let you know if it work or not when I get that far.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
So now that I am higher... Storm Trap does not work either. Storm Trap and Hex should work the same was as my Stormblade. But they do not, instead of buffing the total damage for my Storm Hound they only buff the first tick of damage that goes off. After that it's back to whatever the normal hit amount would be.

As I have paid quite a bit for an in game pet I would like it to work as intended.

I realize that other issues are probably out and about but if my thread were at least acknowledged as a known problem or a small thanks we're looking into this, I would be most appreciative.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I'm not sure about your Heck Hound issue, but Fire Elf is supposed to work that way. Only the first hit gets the boost.

The death school Poison spell works in the same manner. Use this to your advantage. For instance, if a monster puts up Death Shield, cast Poison on it - the first low hit removes the shield, the rest dishes it out. You do not want to use a Blade, Trap, Hex, Curse, or Feint before these types of spells if you can help it. (Also Guiding Light before Sprite or Regenerate).

For spells cast AT you, its the same story - if one creature casts Fire Shield, and then next Fire Elf is cast at you, not a lot of damage is done. Big time advantage if you are Death and you cast Feint, then Fire Elf is cast, that 30% global trap on you does almost nothing. If the Fire Elf spell has already been cast at you, now is a good time to cast that Feint, its still not a lot of damage.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2010
If you still haven't noticed, traps are triggered when the enemy receives damage and blades are triggered before the spell attacks the enemy.

In short, blades affect the whole spell, and traps affect one piece of damage.