Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

searched and found no danger topic soooo

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
When I first started playing, before I knew to hit the enter key and see who was chatting with who, I was solo (having just discovered the game and stupidly not reading through all the FAQ's and stuff) and running through WC near the fairgrounds. A chat bubble came across my screen from two other wizards having a conversation. The one was asking another, "So do you like older men ?"

Yes, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I turned my wizard around but there were so many other players I couldn't tell who had asked it. Now, I know it might have been two adults chatting on a subject they shouldn't in this game but my first thought was the obvious one that I'm sure you other adults had when I described the situation. Now I know I could have hit enter, gotten the name, and reported it along with the time and date and place. At best all I could do was write an email to support.

My thought with posting this was, maybe there should be a panic button. Not for stuff like players being disruptive and such, but for the inevitable pedophiles that are drawn to wherever children gather. Having been Law Enforcement for nigh 12 years, I know what evil lives right next door so to speak. Go to familywatchdog dot US and see how many live right up the street from you.

I think, perhaps just restricted to adults, there should be a button like the chat button on the screen, that would summon a game moderator to the site you are at, or at least get one looking at your wizard and allow you to private chat while still in the game. You could then tell him/her what you saw, heard, etc and the moderator could then take over. I'm going on the assumption that there are moderators on a game this size 24/7. I may be wrong.

Thoughts ?

Every single player age 13+ is a moderator. We’ve given our players the ability to report inappropriate chat or behavior, and we encourage you to act responsibly and use this tool.

Each and every report is read by a real person, and acted upon accordingly. Egregious or repeated violations of the Terms of Use will result in a permanent account ban and deletion of the characters.

False reports are also not tolerated, and can result in sanctions against the players making the false reports.

We put the power of moderation in the hands of our players; you can make a difference in Wizard101.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
ChickenMcFuggits wrote:
When I first started playing, before I knew to hit the enter key and see who was chatting with who, I was solo (having just discovered the game and stupidly not reading through all the FAQ's and stuff) and running through WC near the fairgrounds. A chat bubble came across my screen from two other wizards having a conversation. The one was asking another, "So do you like older men ?"

Yes, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I turned my wizard around but there were so many other players I couldn't tell who had asked it. Now, I know it might have been two adults chatting on a subject they shouldn't in this game but my first thought was the obvious one that I'm sure you other adults had when I described the situation. Now I know I could have hit enter, gotten the name, and reported it along with the time and date and place. At best all I could do was write an email to support.

My thought with posting this was, maybe there should be a panic button. Not for stuff like players being disruptive and such, but for the inevitable pedophiles that are drawn to wherever children gather. Having been Law Enforcement for nigh 12 years, I know what evil lives right next door so to speak. Go to familywatchdog dot US and see how many live right up the street from you.

I think, perhaps just restricted to adults, there should be a button like the chat button on the screen, that would summon a game moderator to the site you are at, or at least get one looking at your wizard and allow you to private chat while still in the game. You could then tell him/her what you saw, heard, etc and the moderator could then take over. I'm going on the assumption that there are moderators on a game this size 24/7. I may be wrong.

Thoughts ?

I had asked the question here if it was against the rules to ask for someone's Facebook information and Prospector Zeke, bless his little hillbilly heart, had answered that it was very much against the rules and reportable.

What I didn't say in my post was that the one asking was no kid and that he was very persistent in asking.

I am all for the idea of a panic button, which would prioritize a report. This could be used for those 'Get an adult' situations.

Unfortunately, you are correct to say that these games are targets to those who are looking for something besides a cool gaming experience, and we have them here as well.

KI does an outstanding job of keeping the game safe and secure with putting those tools into the hands of both the parents and the players themselves.
Adding one more feature to it would go a long way to enhance that security.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
I understand sir, but my notion was for a more immediate response than flipping an email to support. Not sure what your capeabilities are for finding an IP address after somebody has logged off. My own ignorance leans me toward an immediate response type signal though I must confess I don't know your capeabilities. I'm thinking that if I were to send an email stating Character Blaze Firewing was asking an inappropriate question, you may not be able to find which Blaze Firewing I was referring to. Whereas an immediate action signal would immediately put your people on scene with the correct Blaze Firewing. Once again I confess my ignorance of your tools available to handle such matters. I thank you for your response. If you don't wish to discuss this further here, please feel free to send me an email.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
ProspectorZeke wrote:
Every single player age 13+ is a moderator. We’ve given our players the ability to report inappropriate chat or behavior, and we encourage you to act responsibly and use this tool.

Each and every report is read by a real person, and acted upon accordingly. Egregious or repeated violations of the Terms of Use will result in a permanent account ban and deletion of the characters.

False reports are also not tolerated, and can result in sanctions against the players making the false reports.

We put the power of moderation in the hands of our players; you can make a difference in Wizard101.

well zeke i have done some reporting on people who cuss allot lately and i was wondering is there like wizard101 moderatior applications cause i would LOVE being one if there isnt any plz make some thanks

hunter legendwraith level50 necromancer

No worries, this is not an 'email' requirement.

When you click on someone in the game or their name in the chat window - the Friends panel appears. On that panel is a REPORT option. Click on the REPORT option and you will be prompted to enter information about the report.

As soon as you do this, it goes into the queue for Mr Lincoln to review.

The response is usually quite swift and can be rather serious, depending on the egregiousness of the infraction, including involving local police and other authorities where applicable.

ChickenMcFuggits wrote:
I understand sir, but my notion was for a more immediate response than flipping an email to support. Not sure what your capeabilities are for finding an IP address after somebody has logged off. My own ignorance leans me toward an immediate response type signal though I must confess I don't know your capeabilities. I'm thinking that if I were to send an email stating Character Blaze Firewing was asking an inappropriate question, you may not be able to find which Blaze Firewing I was referring to. Whereas an immediate action signal would immediately put your people on scene with the correct Blaze Firewing. Once again I confess my ignorance of your tools available to handle such matters. I thank you for your response. If you don't wish to discuss this further here, please feel free to send me an email.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
izzi250 wrote:

well zeke i have done some reporting on people who cuss allot lately and i was wondering is there like wizard101 moderatior applications cause i would LOVE being one if there isnt any plz make some thanks

hunter legendwraith level50 necromancer

Like I said above, you already ARE. All players over the age of 13 are moderators. Use the tools you are given, and use them wisely.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2010
While I, thankfully, have never encountered a situation like this so far, I'm glad to see a topic so well answered concerning such an important issue. It's a nice reminder of how the reporting system works. I have to say that I was surprised at how well KI and the community in general keep the game positive without a palpable big brother quality.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
ProspectorZeke wrote:
No worries, this is not an 'email' requirement.

When you click on someone in the game or their name in the chat window - the Friends panel appears. On that panel is a REPORT option. Click on the REPORT option and you will be prompted to enter information about the report.

As soon as you do this, it goes into the queue for Mr Lincoln to review.

The response is usually quite swift and can be rather serious, depending on the egregiousness of the infraction, including involving local police and other authorities where applicable.

Thanks Zeke, I will most certainly do that in the future, as strange incidents like the one described are becoming more frequent. You guys apparently have your act together in this regard and as a parent, I do appreciate that. Have a good one.