Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gurtok Barrier Demon

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Why is it that we can't have friends help us fight Gurtok Barrier Demon? Can you change that setting in the game? it is impossible to beat him being a Fire wizard.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
You should be able to use Prisms.

Here's a quick strategy:

Go out and buy a cheap Ice wand at the Bazaar. You can get a Reaper's Rod for 25 gold. You should also buy 3 or 4 Frost Beetle (level 1) Treasure cards at the Bazaar (even if you trained Ice up to Tower). They sell for about 60 each. Put them in your side board.

In battle, put the Fire Prism down first, then your other traps for that particular cast. When your blades and traps are set, you should then remove all Snow Shields with the wand or Frost Beetle cards, set down Feint if you have it, and cast Helephant/Phoenix. This way, you minimize the chances of a Snow Shield fouling up the works.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
My main character is a pyromancer and I did beat the demon, but i had to use a LOT of prisms and treasure cards for healing. That was the longest battle i have ever had, about half an hour.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2009
colagada wrote:
You should be able to use Prisms.

Here's a quick strategy:

Go out and buy a cheap Ice wand at the Bazaar. You can get a Reaper's Rod for 25 gold. You should also buy 3 or 4 Frost Beetle (level 1) Treasure cards at the Bazaar (even if you trained Ice up to Tower). They sell for about 60 each. Put them in your side board.

In battle, put the Fire Prism down first, then your other traps for that particular cast. When your blades and traps are set, you should then remove all Snow Shields with the wand or Frost Beetle cards, set down Feint if you have it, and cast Helephant/Phoenix. This way, you minimize the chances of a Snow Shield fouling up the works.

Great, just one thing. Reapers rod is death not ice. Thanks for the tip though!

Explorer
Jul 06, 2009
onyxsword100 wrote:
Why is it that we can't have friends help us fight Gurtok Barrier Demon? Can you change that setting in the game? it is impossible to beat him being a Fire wizard.

Where is Gurtok Barrier Demon?

Survivor
May 09, 2010
Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Where is Gurtok Barrier Demon?

At the far end of Ravenscar on Grizzleheim, when you get out into the snowy area. You fight him solo. I know my Death character had to fight to twice fight a Death monster solo, Freddie Nine Lives and something on the way to getting Scarecrow, I know Myth has to fight Cryus Drake solo, but yeah that GBD is a wicked solo for Fire.

You do understand that spells pop in reverse order? That is the last spell cast is the first to take action? That is how they get those 20 million hit using back and forth Storm and Myth Prisms with traps in between?

Since the monster is Fire, casting a Fire spell against him will take forever; maybe a Life character could get away with casting hits and heals until the mana runs out, but you can't. So you would use a Prism to convert the next Fire hit spell to Ice, which is his weakness. Now you are probably saying, yeah, but he puts up a Ice Shield too. But remember the spells go in reverse; if you get the prism on before he gets the Ice Shield, your Fire Spell (that hits) will bypass the Ice Shield, get converted to Ice by the prism, and wail on him. So the key thing is you have to get that Prism on before the Ice Shield. Or, you need to wipe off the Ice Shield and then get a Prism on.

So you have two tactics. First is, you need a deck with has the highest chance of getting the prism. So you get a deck that lets you put in the most Fire spells possible, put has many prisms in as you can, other useful Fire Spells, and then chuck out anything you don't think you will need (remember to fix the deck back when done). For instance, Fire Elf is worthless against him, you don't want to do a spread out attack; the first hit would pop the prism. (If a monster is known to cast Fire Shield, you WOULD use Fire Elf, but I checked, he doesn't). It is a probability fraction, increase the number on the top, decrease the number on the bottom.

Another trick is to go to the Bazaar and see if you can find a Fire Prism Treasure card, and, if you have never used a Treasure Card, go practice some place, until you can do it in your sleep. Do that with a cheap Treasure Card, how about those Ghost cards you get in Unicorn way. You want your deck to have many Fire Blades, about half as many Element Blades, and any other boosts like Fire Trap, Feint if you can get it. Another trick is get an amulet that gives you Fire Trap, or get some Fire Trap Treasure cards; they stack if they are different. For instance, my Death character has Death Trap, Bastilla's choker that gives two Blue Death Traps, and Treasure Card Death Trap, they all combine. Toss in a Feint, Curse, Death Blade, Spirit Blade, Balance Blade from a friend and oh my, quite a hit.

Now, you might ask, but what if despite all my best work, he gets Ice Shield up before get the prism on him? Best solution is, get a Ice Wand, any strength, to pop the shield. Watch out, I think it is level 40 wand gives four instead of five cards. Get the wand with six if you need to, just increase your chances of getting Ice; the lower wands are cheaper too. You could train the first ice spell, or get some Ice Treasure Cards - but what can happen is you water down your chances of getting the Prism in the Treasure Card area (side deck ???). Another possibility, can you get, or create, a few Ice Elf Treasure cards, and of course make sure they are in the side deck (???) before starting. The advantage to the Ice Elf is he keeps on sending Ice hits in while you try to get the rest of your hit including the prism, blades. I do this with Poison and my Death Bat pet.

Short story though, get an Ice Wand.

Another trick is to try do use spells from another school; this works with monsters that are say up to 1000, using a combo of Element Blade, Kraken, Storm Trap, and Feint, but has the monster gets higher health it gets harder and harder to make it work, since you have a lower limit of the number of cards from other schools. Against the GBD my guess is no it won't work. Might be able to do final kill with one with the left over storm blade from Element Blade. or maybe a Life spell that has high accuracy. Personally I have had limited success with this, again, it waters down the chances of getting the prism. Be true to your school!

In my opinion, increasing the chances of a Prism is the best way around the problem, and then make sure your deck has a way to make a single massive hit, and my guess is the spell is Helephant, with Fire Blade, Spirit Blade, Fire Trap (after casting the prism), Feint if you trained it, and anything Fire has that I don't know of.

Yet one more trick; learn how to enchant Treasure Cards, someone created a youtube video, its the cat's meow, once you learn it, it will be second nature. Practice using cards enchanted with Tough, then if you can, find the Monstrous enchanting card, and use that Enchanted Helephant card on the GBD.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
onyxsword100, while working your way through the game fighting the same school as yourself is the hardest thing to do for any player.

Use prism, that will convert your damage to another school. I'm death school so my prism converts the damage to life school damage.