Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP broke beyond repair

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Ok folks lets face it. No matter what KI does someone is going to complain that this school or that school is too strong or too weak and this should be banned and that should be reportable and yada yada yada.

Pvp is broke to the point that here is no way to fix it other than wipe it out completely and start over. Just look at the "fix" for chain stunning. I know it's only temporary, which is good because it doesn't work, but the "fix" transferred to PVE which handicapped all the schools that use a stun of some sort in battle. It's a shame because there are alot of people who do not do PVP that are being affected by it. (FYI before anyone asks I am a grand death and cannot stand chain stunning)

The only way to make PVP 100% fair is to make it player (in the singular) versus player (again in the singular). Each person enters the arena with the best gear they can get from the spirial, no more arena gear and no crown gear as many people do not purchase these. Each person is given a deck with the same number of cards and random spells. Hopefully KI wouldn't put in the judgements and wildbolts that do one hit kills but I guess it would be just the luck of the draw. You then have to use what you have to win,.

This concept would basically make PVP as fair as possible and force people to think on their feet and devise a strategy on the fly. If you can rank up to warlord under those conditions, that would be a badge worthy of wearing.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I personally find it amusing that people aren't wearing their normal game ware as my normal game equipment is superior to the arena equipment by quite a bit. Let people use the arena and crown gear, my game gear is better.

Survivor
Dec 07, 2009
that is one of the best ideas i have ever heard.
i think it should be optional and include a seperate ranking system and different rewards than the normal arena. Better rewards than the regualar pvp tickets and rankings can get maybe even hybrid pets
but i really do like that idea and everyone loves surprises

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
Alot of people here are new to PvP or it may well be their first game, so let me let say one thing:
NO PVP SYSTEM IS PERFECT.

If it involves PvP, then there is always going to be people who think things are unbalanced.

I actually like the current PvP system and give kudos to KI for making a great and unique PvP system. In fact, PvP is the main reason that I play. Taking everything away and starting over is hardly a good idea.

PvP is player vs player, not player vs some random computer controlled monster.
You're fighting people who can think and react to your different spells.
*** If you want to make it in the arena, you better be able to do more than just boost and hit ***

So have fun, and when you lose, try to figure out why so that the next time you can get better.

Devin GhostStalker
50 Necromancer
Captain - Team Death Menace
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other person die for his."-G.P.

WOOT WOOT DEATH MENACE :D

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I only like to play 4v4 tables myself (if you want to play 1v1 then play 1v1 but I don't and will stick to 4v4). I also don't view gear as being any sort of problem. I'd like to see an arena that doubles the health of players as well as perhaps adds their mana points to their health.

Hero
May 19, 2009
seasnake wrote:
I personally find it amusing that people aren't wearing their normal game ware as my normal game equipment is superior to the arena equipment by quite a bit. Let people use the arena and crown gear, my game gear is better.

Sure it is, your storm gear with only resest to "storm is better the then the commander gear. I doubt that.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Icely, I agree completely that no PVP system is faier. Even with my idea there would be people complaining I'm getting this card or I never get to go first or something. It's the nature of people to find fault with something then complain about it.

The only issues I have had with PVP are the chain stunners and dispelers and the such and the whole mouthy attitudes so my personnal fix was simple, 1V1 only and ignore if the attitudes and mouths start.

I posted this suggestion because there are too many people complaning about individual spells that when the "fix" comes out it will affect game play in PVE. I have ice and storm friends that are rather upset with the stun "fix". I know it's temporary, but it's still there for the moment.
Now with PVP being such a small part of the game please tell me how this is in any way fair or good. People that dont PVP should not be subjected to changes in game play because of it.

PVP is player versus player and you should be able to do more than just boost and hit. My suggestion would force people to do just that. If you can't spend an hour setting up your deck before going in, and you have to use just the cards your given, then we would see who is really worth the titles that everybody so covets.

Explorer
May 22, 2009
Look, that is a fantasitic idea, but there is one issue, and that is the random cards. If KI made it so that you would randomly be given a DECK, not just random cards, then it would make the system better, because someone might end up without an attack if it were all random, right? If they pre-made random decks, then this would be a great idea. I support this, if we implement my thoughts in, otherwise it would be all luck and no skill, right? and also make sure that every deck is somewhat balanced, so that one person doesnt have a wild bolt and boosts, while another has storm lord, no boosts, and no heals. Just think about that.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Yellow867,

After rereading my post I understand your post better. When the thought of random decks came to me, it was more of both players get the same same deck with the same cards in the battle. Only the order the cards would come up would be different. You may get a bunch of shields while your oppenent gets some boosts and hits. Entirely random but both players have the same cards to begin with. Which decks and which cards could be determined by PVE level, I.E. level 1 - 10 get certain decks and spells, level 11- 20 get a differnt deck and spells and so on and so on.

I only brought up the gear to make it easier to make matches. No gear outside of that which can be obtained from PVE battle means any level can battle another similar level and be somewhat even in hit, shield, power pip etc. This makes it more even across the board and really makes you adjust your fighting style to what you have to work with with versus who you are battling.

But as I stated to Icely previously, even this format will not stop people from finding something wrong. My biggest concern is changes being made to the general game play just to appease people complaining in a small portion of the gane itself,

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
mmlonewolf wrote:
Each person is given a deck with the same number of cards and random spells.

So getting a random set of spells and using those shows great skill?
Versus actually building your own deck and deciding what cards you want to put in it?

What if you just happen to get bad cards?
Wouldn't this system actually be more unfair as you can't even decide what cards to put into your own deck?

Devin GhostStalker
50 Necromancer
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other person die for his."-G.P.

Defender
Apr 30, 2010
If people want to spend their time doing PvP that's fine. I enjoy doing practice PvP when its 48-50 but i almsot never do ranked any more. It's your own choice if you want to do ranked PvP and you need to deal with the problems that come with it. I think KI should stop trying to change PvP because people are always going to complain. Well to all you wizards who are complaining about how this and that isn't fair Just Stop Doing PvP! Its that simple, if you don't enjoy doing it don't do it. Chain stunning was probably a problem in PvP but its also a strategy for outside PvP (Please ignore my spelling) I can't stand chain stunning in PvP but its causing problems for grands who's level 48 spells stun people. The bad guys shouldn't get so many stun shields, if you can constantly stun a bad guy why not?

I got off to a bad start with PvP ranked. I was SO bad at it that my score dropped all the way to 198 when i was only around the levle 20's. So i don't really care what happens with ranked because I can't do much more with it anyway. But i like the idea of having the cards completely random. But there would have to be something that paired each of them up with people around their levels and the spells they recive should depend on their levels as well. I just think it would be wierd to see a level 6 use a helephant or hydra spell :)

Aaron FireStone lvl 49 Pyromancer

Survivor
Sep 21, 2009
icelydeath wrote:
mmlonewolf wrote:
Each person is given a deck with the same number of cards and random spells.

So getting a random set of spells and using those shows great skill?
Versus actually building your own deck and deciding what cards you want to put in it?

What if you just happen to get bad cards?
Wouldn't this system actually be more unfair as you can't even decide what cards to put into your own deck?

Devin GhostStalker
50 Necromancer

Amen to that!

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Well Icely I guess that depends on your point of view. I don't think it's very difficult to set a deck that plays to all my strenghts and defends my weaknesses.

On the other hand, going into a battle and having to use a deck that isn't perfected for you and still being able to win shows your flexability in battle.
Yes it's much easier to win when you stack the deck in your favor, but PVE isn't supposed to be easy. Its supposed to test your skill in battle against real players.

As for getting bad cards, i responded to yellow with a slight clarification. Both people get the same cards, so if you have bad cards then so does you opponenet. Both combatants wqually armed is about as fair as fair can be. Then it comes down to move and counter move, and a little bit of luck with getting the right cards at the right time.

This really isn't so much about changing PVP as it is about KI not changing PVP so that it affects the PVE side of the game, It's most certainly unfair tthat non PVP players have to deal with changes to their spells just because oof problems in a very small section of the game.