Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My thoughts concerning Dispell Cards

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Dispell cards are problematic in that they essentially act as chain stunning against any individual players. What happens when everyone carries dispells, massive chain stuns occur that is what happens and since chain stunning is declared as illegal so to should the stacking of dispells be declared illegal.

On the other hand, if dispells were only able to be learned by their primary school only some of this problem would be alleviated. Even so, it should no)t allow players to have more than one dispell upon them at any moment in time. Since balance has no school shield against it (tower isn't a school shield against balance as any attack from any school can break it), then every school should be allowed to learn the balance dispell card (either that or a balance school shield should be created.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
seasnake wrote:
Dispell cards are problematic in that they essentially act as chain stunning against any individual players. What happens when everyone carries dispells, massive chain stuns occur that is what happens and since chain stunning is declared as illegal so to should the stacking of dispells be declared illegal.

On the other hand, if dispells were only able to be learned by their primary school only some of this problem would be alleviated. Even so, it should no)t allow players to have more than one dispell upon them at any moment in time. Since balance has no school shield against it (tower isn't a school shield against balance as any attack from any school can break it), then every school should be allowed to learn the balance dispell card (either that or a balance school shield should be created.

or maybe - bear with me - just take out the pip-taking (there's no balance dispell, so i'm not saving my hide) that the dispells do, and add a balance dispell (again with no pip taking), and there we go.

your second paragraph is yet another underhanded attempt by those who can't bring themselves to strategize well to nerf balance.

by the way, only allowing the primary to learn it is a waste of programming, as a 0-pip, only-slightly-inferior-with-regard-to-damage-alleviated, only-working-on-attacks alternative exists to dispells: the 80% shields from the fairegrounds.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
Dispel cards sadly highlight the huge advantage in pvp of going first vs. second in the round.

Getting rid of all the pips is even more salt on the wound.

The pvp system is already severely flawed with one side always going first for the entire match and now with dispel you can win for sure.

Defender
May 30, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
seasnake wrote:

or maybe - bear with me - just take out the pip-taking (there's no balance dispell, so i'm not saving my hide) that the dispells do, and add a balance dispell (again with no pip taking), and there we go.

your second paragraph is yet another underhanded attempt by those who can't bring themselves to strategize well to nerf balance.

by the way, only allowing the primary to learn it is a waste of programming, as a 0-pip, only-slightly-inferior-with-regard-to-damage-alleviated, only-working-on-attacks alternative exists to dispells: the 80% shields from the fairegrounds.

Dispells are just like any other negative card that can be played. You have to learn how to work around it. I think the whole point of a dispel is to take the spell away AND the pips that go along with it. If the spell is gone but the pips are still there then what exactly would be the point? You could just turn around and cast that spell again. Kinda useless if you ask me, if you were to take the pip-taking aspect out of the equation. So sorry your Storm Lord, Rebirth, Dragon, whatever, didn't cast and you have to start all over again. Anticipate your opponent's moves and you will find that it's not the cards that are the problem, it was your playing style all along.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
A dispelled magic is different from a fizzle. A fizzle is an incomplete attempt at casting a spell
A dispel is an automatic cast but is absorbed, which is why the pips are used up. And that is how it should stay.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
asutton75 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
seasnake wrote:

Dispells are just like any other negative card that can be played. You have to learn how to work around it. I think the whole point of a dispel is to take the spell away AND the pips that go along with it. If the spell is gone but the pips are still there then what exactly would be the point? You could just turn around and cast that spell again. Kinda useless if you ask me, if you were to take the pip-taking aspect out of the equation. So sorry your Storm Lord, Rebirth, Dragon, whatever, didn't cast and you have to start all over again. Anticipate your opponent's moves and you will find that it's not the cards that are the problem, it was your playing style all along.

first of all, i have never run into a dispell cast on me or my allies in my LIFE. even if they did cast one on me, so what? i'm balance and there's no balance dispell, so - like i said - it's not my hide i'm saving with these suggestions. second of all, i am very good at strategy (never USED a dispell in my life either), although much of my time has been spent telling others how to beat balance because they can't handle using a different strat.

anyway, you have to admit that his last paragraph was an attempted balance nerf.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:
Dispel cards sadly highlight the huge advantage in pvp of going first vs. second in the round.

Getting rid of all the pips is even more salt on the wound.

The pvp system is already severely flawed with one side always going first for the entire match and now with dispel you can win for sure.

Well put. Many people blow this issue off and say they never personally get hit with dispels, but these people aren't the ones playing either storm or life (both of which are typically stacked in dispels, if you go last as storm or as life in 3v3 or 4v4 matches you are lucky if you ever get stormlord or rebirth to work, and when they don't work you lose all your pips).