Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what computers is wizard101 actually tested

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 15, 2009
Hi, this is a question for Mr. Lincoln but Zeke seems to answer these things these days which is ok.

What i would like to know is what computers are used in the Kings Isle labs that the game is actually tested and played on.

Not just the minimum system requirements cause that is just saying that given software requirements if you have this type of machine you should be able to run the game with minor glitches.

I mean when i go to the store to buy a new computer i want to be able to say i want this one cause its exactly the kind or kinds they use to run wizard101

And if possible what operating systems and any additional things like video cards sound cards software that is used when making an end run.

I just want to get a computer that can run the game with fewwer glitches, bugs, crashes, and other things that go bump.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
well Zeke or Mr. Lincoln I see the message was posted with out reply :(

I dont think anyone reading this can answer and dont understand why it couldn;t be answered.

I just wanted to know what i want for my next computer which is the same thing the software is tested and ran on at KI. I dont know much about them but i figure if i had the same thing then the program would work better. cause i do know not all computers are the same.

idk maybe if i bought a W101 sticker from zazzle and put it on the machine it would run better.

We test literally hundreds of different computer configurations, we can't possibly list them all for you.

Our minimum specifications:
Internet: Internet Connection Required
Operating System: Windows 98SE or later versions
Processor: 1GHz Intel Processor
RAM Space: 512 Megabytes
Video Card: Best results with GeForce 2 or equivalent
(standard in most PCs)
Disk Space: 5 Gigabytes

are the minimum you need to play Wizard101. Now granted, you'll have to ensure that a lot of settings like Bloom, Particles, Shadows and other graphically based items are set to their lowest, but you will be able to play the game.

Any half decent computer you can find on the market today can play Wizard101. The important thing is to keep your video drivers up to date. A brand new computer with 5 year old video drivers is going to have troubles running the game.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Community Leader
I found this in the help section, I know the kids play wizard101 on a netbook :)
System Requirements
Question
What type of computer and specifications are required to play Wizard101?
Answer

Our game was designed to run on a wide array of Personal Computers. Technically speaking however, you will need:
Internet: Internet Connection Required
Operating System: Windows 98SE or later versions
Processor: 1GHz Intel Processor
RAM Space: 512 Megabytes
Video Card: GeForce 2 or equivalent (standard in most PCs)
Disk Space: 1 gigabyte for game play and 5 gigabyte for the installer

Defender
May 29, 2009

Actually, most PC computers are the "same" or at least similar enough for the purposes of gaming. The hardware, while made by different vendors, is pretty much the same under the covers. But if you're buying new, I'll give you some recommendations:

1. RAM: minimum 2GB

2. Hard drive: I don't think they even sell new computers anymore that don't have at least 80GB hard drive. That's way more than enough

3. CPU: Anything current will be dual core and work just fine

4. Graphics: now this is where you get to decide. Integrated graphics (meaning the graphics processor is on the system board) is fine. It won't perform as fast, but the game will certainly function. If you plan to do a lot of gaming (including games other than W101), consider a computer with a dedicated graphics card that has at least 256MB of video memory.

5. Operating system: no reason not to get Windows 7 these days. You'll have to upgrade to it eventually.

W101 will even run on a lowly netbook -- although the performance is rather sluggish on it. Good luck!

f1ng3br1ts0n wrote:
well Zeke or Mr. Lincoln I see the message was posted with out reply :(

I dont think anyone reading this can answer and dont understand why it couldn;t be answered.

I just wanted to know what i want for my next computer which is the same thing the software is tested and ran on at KI. I dont know much about them but i figure if i had the same thing then the program would work better. cause i do know not all computers are the same.

idk maybe if i bought a W101 sticker from zazzle and put it on the machine it would run better.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Wow zeke you really you know a lot about computers for a prospecter!

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
It is my hope that the KI folks remember many of us have older computers and laptops. Changing graphics cards or getting new computers are not in the cards for my family. They are luxuries not necessities. I saved and got a subscription. My graphics driver is the most recent I can find. I had to reinstall Wizard with in the last month or tow so that is fresh too.

Keeping the game where it will run on most computers, not just new ones makes sense. Perhaps offering two versions of the game would help, one for older machines and one for newer.

Most people I hear complain are very clear their problems started after advanced pets came live. Before then they did not have trouble. That is case for us. Something must have been changed in the program when pets came online.

I love the game and can live with the lag. I don't enjoy the big black blotches when entering Ravenwood from the World Gate. But, know I can get through it and try to ignore it. This problem comes and goes. It seems to happen most when the game is really busy. Now trying to go to my life house shuts the game down 3 out of 4 times. I submitted a bug report. It is frustrating.

That being said tech help has been marvelous trying to help me. :) Any questions sent to Mr. Lincoln have been answered thoroughly and in a timely manner. :) Prospector Zeke amazes me with his patience her on the boards. Nice Job KI! :D

Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theurgist
Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer