Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Black wall in Ravenwood

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 25, 2010
I notice something every time I come in Ravenwood, I can see this black background cover up Ravenwood. When moving forward, the black background goes away. When I turn back around, sometimes it comes back and sometimes it don't. This is really strange when something like this can happen.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
That's happened to me too. I think it must be a problem with the actual program?

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
Yes I have that too. I find if very annoying but have not figured out how to fix it.

What operating system do you play on? I play on a Vista so that might be the problem.

Quinn Dragonwhisper-Grandmaster Myth
Benjamin Dragonblade-Grandmaster Storm

Survivor
Jan 25, 2010
yea, I have vista on my computer and the black background does get annoying a lot every time you come to Ravenwood. It could be the program, I don't know what the actual problem is? I wish they can fix this soon?

Explorer
Apr 29, 2010
I have had this problem since the pet update. I'm on Windows XP and have the latest graphics drivers.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2010
Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I hate that. I always run in where the big circle with the schools, then all of a sudden, a big black wall like covers the whole thing and then I move to one of the schools and it disappears! Its weird actually then being strange. Oh, and also, I think it has something to do with the programming or the graphics of this game. :?
- Mark RubyThief Lvl 50 Fire/Life

Almost all of these issues are cleared up with a Video Driver Update. What this means, is the Video card you have in your computer has software that it needs to run. That software gets out of date if you don't update it, and the Video card can't keep up with new games that you run.

It's very easy to update your Video Drivers but takes several steps to figure out what it is. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, have an adult or friend help you:

1. Determine the manufacturer of your video card > Open your Control Panel, click on "Display" > "Settings" tab > "Advanced" > "Adapter" > "Properties" > "Driver" tab.

2. Write down the Driver Provider and Driver Version. (Example: NVIDIA 197.16)

3. Go to the driver manufacturer's website and locate your particular computer and download the newest driver (you can check the latest driver they post with the driver version you have, if it's the same, then don't bother with the download - likely they've come out with a new one since last you updated though).

After updating the driver, reboot your computer and hopefully, all is right in Wizard City!

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Defender
Apr 30, 2010
I just started seeing strange walls and shapes in Ravenwoood and the Commons. But i've done this game on two computers and on the bigger and actually nicer one, it never happens. Maybe the computers just can't handle all teh graphic stuff going on.

And that's why we suggest people keep their video drivers up to date :)

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
I see the black wall too! I had my friends laught at me cause i was running in circles! I dont know about everybody else but do you see a butterflyish thing right i front of the ravenwood tunnel in the commons?

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
I got this too and sometimes i see a 2D picture of a butterfly in the commons and it just freezes!!! it's weird and the black wall in Ravenwood must be fixed it is horrible!

Defender
Apr 30, 2010
molly202 wrote:
I see the black wall too! I had my friends laught at me cause i was running in circles! I dont know about everybody else but do you see a butterflyish thing right i front of the ravenwood tunnel in the commons?

I see the butterflyish thing in the commons but whenever my computer does something like that i move into a less crowded realm and it happens less frequently. Strangely you don't see these wierd shapes or walls anywhere else :?

Aaron FireStone lvl 49 Pyromancer

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
i updated my video driver and nothing happened it jusr kept messing up

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
minxymoo wrote:
I have had this problem since the pet update. I'm on Windows XP and have the latest graphics drivers.
i have had that problem since update as well. i hope they fix it soon.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2009
I know it happends to me EVERY time i go in RavenWood ! It also happend to my cousin ! I dont know what the problem is, i always though it had to do with the tree NEW schools, but i'm not sure about that anymore. Well what ever it is i hope they get it fixed SOON!

Bye, Bye, Black Wall,

Roslyn AshGlade lvl 35 Ice Wizard, Savior of the Spiral 8)

PLEASE GET IT FIXED, KingsIsle Entertainment! :D

Survivor
May 23, 2008
A picture is worth of thousand worlds.
Can anyone suppy us with a screenshot?

I have a suspicion what could the problem, but I cannot tell for sure until I see an image. With the pet release, we had modified our graphics engine to be able to provide better and smoother graphics with added complexity of the pets. However, these changes had some very rare negative impacts on an older graphic chipsets while improving the visuals of the great varieties of newer chipsets. Since then we are working diligently to resolve an older machine issues, but there are many varieties of such.

Sir Reginald Baxby
Big Bug Hunter

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
SirReginaldBaxby wrote:

I have a suspicion what could the problem, but I cannot tell for sure until I see an image. With the pet release, we had modified our graphics engine to be able to provide better and smoother graphics with added complexity of the pets. However, these changes had some very rare negative impacts on an older graphic chipsets while improving the visuals of the great varieties of newer chipsets. Since then we are working diligently to resolve an older machine issues, but there are many varieties of such.

Sir Reginald Baxby
Big Bug Hunter

I tried doing a screen shot, but it doesn't show up for some reason. The problem seems to be spreading. It is now effecting the Shop.

I uninstalled the system and re-installed it and that helped some what, but all the color blast and black outs are still occuring. On top of that, since I re-installed it, every time I log in, the game has to download all the areas again. I mean every time, which is 2-5 times a day.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
I have a brand new laptop with Windows 7 and it does it so it is not only old computers! It does it EVERY time I go to Ravenwood

SirReginaldBaxby wrote:

Sir Reginald Baxby
Big Bug Hunter

Survivor
Aug 19, 2010
Dear Zeke,

Thanks for the information, but I need help. I'm running in Safe Mode (With the Networking Support) and I run Windows 7. I tried to search the control panel, and found Display, but I cannot find the settings tab and all that. Anyway, my computer keeps shutting down during the game, and even when I am on the internet! Can you please help me? :-(

Survivor
Jan 25, 2010
From my first message I was using a regular computer and I was seeing this black wall in Ravenwood. Now I got a labtop ( Windows 7); the black wall and frozen images disapeared.

Now their is a new problem that might be part of this problem about the black wall. Every time I've go into the Commons and Ravenwood, my character seems not to appear at first after walking into these places.

Has anybody else experience that as well or is it just happening to me?

Benjamin Darkflame,
lvl. 49 Master Wizard