Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

numbers in chat

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 25, 2008
cabethebabe035 wrote:
In battle when someone is helping me i ask how much pips it takes to cast a healing spell if im killed. All that pops up is . . . .Sometimes people ask me that and i have to say (for example if a spell costs eight pips i would have to say fourth plus fourth). I could not just say 8. If a kingsile person reads this i would like him/her to change that. What do you think. Should we be able to type numbers in text chat . (This does not really affect people without text chat)

CaleBattleCaller: magus pryromancer

The reason for this is not that KI wants you to have a hard time, but to make it so people can't give out phone numbers gae or even addresses. If you want to say numbers that badly you or your parents will need to get you open chat. I don't have it and I seem to still be able to play as well as the next guy or girl

Sean Fireblood lvl 70 fire

See you in the spiral!

Defender
Jul 09, 2011
I think the ability to type numbers should stay with Open Chat, as it prevents some kids from throwing out personal information, like their phone numbers. Thats also why states, countries, and cities are not able to be said in Text Chat.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2012
cabethebabe035 wrote:
In battle when someone is helping me i ask how much pips it takes to cast a healing spell if im killed. All that pops up is . . . .Sometimes people ask me that and i have to say (for example if a spell costs eight pips i would have to say fourth plus fourth). I could not just say 8. If a kingsile person reads this i would like him/her to change that. What do you think. Should we be able to type numbers in text chat . (This does not really affect people without text chat)

So children aren't passing out phone numbers and addresses.

Historian
May 01, 2010
They say this to keep text chat child friendly. If you are able to say numbers, a child might give away: address, phone number, age, etc. Without knowing any different. If you are asked this again, simply say I cant answer that or something along those lines.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
cabethebabe035 wrote:

People with open chat (who are verified by an on-file credit card as being over the age of 18) are the only ones who can type or see numbers. I saw on another board on the subject somewhere (though I forget where) that this feature is in place to prevent children from giving out personal information, such as ages, addresses, etc.That said, having to say that I'm level seventh ty, or that it costs fifth pips to cast a spell is a little bit overboard.

An alternative that's a little less militant: if numbers next to proper names were disallowed, or something like that, it would make a bit more sense. We'd be able to communicate statistics that are relevant without sacrificing safety.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
cabethebabe035 wrote:

they would never cause people will give out phone numbers waayyy easier
and then bam people will give out personal info
ki made a family friendly game and they wont ruin it by adding numbers to text chat

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
grvy123 wrote:
cabethebabe035 wrote:

they would never cause people will give out phone numbers waayyy easier
and then bam people will give out personal info
ki made a family friendly game and they wont ruin it by adding numbers to text chat

The only way you can get open chat where you can say numbers is if you or a parent uses a credit card on your account. That is the only way. I can say numbers to friends because I have a bank card on my account, however for those that don't have open chat even if I can see my numbers they can't. And honestly I understand why they did this, this keeps predators away from small children. If you can't say your age you can't be preyed upon.

Survivor
May 08, 2010
Ever since the Test Realm for June 20 came out you are able to display numbers in the chats on the main game. Pretty sure this is an oversight and I have not been able to contact Support to report this because their page is down.

Administrator
You have opted IN to the 18+ Open Chat that allows numbers and most words.
The Open Chat only filters out profanity and other inappropriate words.

If you would prefer your account return to Text Chat, you can do that yourself through My Accounts or we can facilitate that change for you.

Thank you for your concern, and know that the chat you see as an Open Chat Member is NOT the same chat that others see .

community@wizard101.com
Administrator
Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Just for the reasoning why Text Chat players cant see numbers, is because odds are, they are going to end up giving their age and probably some other personal information away. Although they already do, the same way as "creative profanity" ex: I am sixth years old (Dont worry, I am not actually 6! haha:)) Guess its "creative numbers" instead.... Interesting....

Survivor
Aug 21, 2012
I find myself quite often, chatting to people about my level, but the only number that we can say is one, and I thought, how about, since level 80 is the max level, how about all number one through eighty?

Flint Firerider, Level 21

Administrator
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

As for stating your current level, health and mana, the Menu Chat system has these pre-formed statements under the Friendly -> Stats section.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Feb 25, 2013
Hi I was wondering ho I can I be able to type in numbers with out being in red?

Survivor
Oct 23, 2012
Hey, I was wondering about why cant we use numbers? Is it a bad thing, I mean it is just number and it is a better and more accurate to say.

Lvl 78 Ryan Wildhunter

Administrator
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
anyone can say numbers in wizards 101. you just have to be good at spelling for instance if I have 3 health left I simply say "I have third health left." people use the chat to communicate like this pretty often when I am around people without open chat.

you people want numbers well that's the best your gonna get. now I must be getting to my garden of tenth couch potatoes.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
gweedoboy on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
anyone can say numbers in wizards 101. you just have to be good at spelling for instance if I have 3 health left I simply say "I have third health left." people use the chat to communicate like this pretty often when I am around people without open chat.

you people want numbers well that's the best your gonna get. now I must be getting to my garden of tenth couch potatoes.
its hard to explain auras though a spell that boosts you for for rounds gets blocked because of 2 numbers

Survivor
May 19, 2012
gweedoboy on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:

I completely agree. There are safeguards for a reason. Sure, its annoying when I want to say something and the numbers are not cleared, but I can always get around it. It's there for the younger kids (yes, I am under 18), and to help protect them. How much good it will do, I have no idea. Kids are getting smarter, so obviously the restrictions will just eventually be an unnecessary and worthless barrier of speech, but we aren't there quite yet. Until then, though, we need to respect what the creators have decided. If we have so much of a problem, open chat is always available. Now, all I need to do is convince my dad to turn it on....

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Personally, I would rather KI leave it as is. Yes, it is a pain to not be able to say numbers outright. However, most players have come up with ways to get around this issue and communicate what you need to communicate.

But it also makes it more difficult for predators to use this as a vehicle for finding out personal information. And any attempt to do so is made somewhat more obvious and weird by having to talk around filters, either to get phone or address information, or also location in the real world, as most real place names are also filtered. I am very, very glad KI does this. As the father of children who play this game, I want it to be as safe as possible for them. I also want it to be as hard and as awkward as possible for people with bad intent to get information from children. For that safety, the minor inconvenience of having to be creative in chatting is really no cost at all. Thanks KI for keeping safety a priority!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Karic Pei the Drak... on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
I completely agree. There are safeguards for a reason. Sure, its annoying when I want to say something and the numbers are not cleared, but I can always get around it. It's there for the younger kids (yes, I am under 18), and to help protect them. How much good it will do, I have no idea. Kids are getting smarter, so obviously the restrictions will just eventually be an unnecessary and worthless barrier of speech, but we aren't there quite yet. Until then, though, we need to respect what the creators have decided. If we have so much of a problem, open chat is always available. Now, all I need to do is convince my dad to turn it on....
I am over 18, with open chat.

When you have Open, you can type and see numbers, but you still can't communicate them to someone who doesn't have open.

There's safe, and then there's militant. I'm all for the filter system, but there has to be a less-ridiculously-cumbersome way of doing it, so people aren't stuck saying they are level ninth ty or have to go in fifth teen minutes.

-v.