Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching - Gambling for Kids!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 22, 2010
The problem with Pet Hatching is it essentially one huge gamble. You gamble a lot of time spent on gold and pet training with very little assurance that you will get anything worthwhile.

Even worse, mega snack packs and the energy/time issue really encourages the spending of large amounts of crowns which equal real money.

In short, although the pet pavilion is interesting, I feel that it should be more strategic, and less of a gamble. Perhaps the outcome of your hatch could be shown before you hatch?

The last thing we need to do in a Kids game is encourage gambling. Unfortunately, I've got better odds of "winning" in blackjack than I do in pet hatching, and that is not right.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
there is about 50% chance(Not exact) that you get a hybrid, according to what to Tod Coleman said. And at least they lowered the price

Survivor
Mar 02, 2010

Relax it's not "gambling for kid's". I mean what is that?

Pets in the game can be look at it as a side quest. You do not have to do. No one is telling you to buy mega snacks, and spend so much time training pets. It's just something to do for people who get little bored doing quest in the game or have finish the game and is an option to do on the side.

what do you exactly want? a pet with super stats automatic without much effort. For what reason anyways. We can already beat the game kinda easy enough without any pets.

I don't understand why anyone is complaining about pets and then post extreme stuff like "gambling for kids"? I am sorry but thats just going to far.

Relax. Don't worry about pets if its that bad for you.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
I am not angry or upset. In fact, I think that the pet pavilion is a fun and interesting addition the game.

That said....there is way too much randomness built into the system, and too little info, and too much cost in time/money involved to not avoid many cases of serious hatching dissapointment--as evidenced by the large numbers of complaints. I am not talking about 48 hybrids, or even other hybrids, I am talking about breeding and raising a pet for specific and useful traits.

I hope that the devs will continue to lower costs and shed more light on the breeding system in order to make hatching more strategic, less random, less upsetting, and more fun.

Hero
May 19, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:
there is about 50% chance(Not exact) that you get a hybrid, according to what to Tod Coleman said. And at least they lowered the price

I thought it was a 25% chance
25% your pet
25% partners pet
25% hybrid 1
25% hybrid 2

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:

I keep seeing this mentioned. Does anybody have an actual reference? (Update link, video link, audio link, ect)

Talance3 wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

I keep seeing this mentioned. Does anybody have an actual reference? (Update link, video link, audio link, ect)

Yes it's right at the top of these message boards:
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/20604.ftl

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Defender
Jul 15, 2009
ProspectorZeke wrote:
Talance3 wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

Yes it's right at the top of these message boards:
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/20604.ftl

Well, yes, that was where they confirmed that the price was lowered.

Sorry if I was unclear. The bit I want confirmed is:

AlecVolterra wrote:
there is about 50% chance(Not exact) that you get a hybrid, according to what to Tod Coleman said.

Delver
Jan 29, 2009
Adaptation wrote:
The problem with Pet Hatching is it essentially one huge gamble. You gamble a lot of time spent on gold and pet training with very little assurance that you will get anything worthwhile.

Even worse, mega snack packs and the energy/time issue really encourages the spending of large amounts of crowns which equal real money.

In short, although the pet pavilion is interesting, I feel that it should be more strategic, and less of a gamble. Perhaps the outcome of your hatch could be shown before you hatch?

The last thing we need to do in a Kids game is encourage gambling. Unfortunately, I've got better odds of "winning" in blackjack than I do in pet hatching, and that is not right.
yeah right

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

I thought it was a 25% chance
25% your pet
25% partners pet
25% hybrid 1
25% hybrid 2

i said a hybrid meaning 25% u get the first 25% u get the second, sense they are both hybrids it is 50% chance you get A hybrid

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
I do believe it was an interview on ravenwood radio, Leesha went to KI once and they recorded it. Or it might be on TheFriendlyNecromancer, I forget. Email both and you'll find out. During the time when this was published it was asked what the % was for each pet during hatching, Tod said it was about 25% each, but he didn't remember the exact numbers. My guess is there is a 5% window so 20-30%

Defender
Apr 10, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:

this isn't really a good point to make. while I agree that 50% is correct, and that the price being lowered was good, I am not going to invest 40,000+ gold into a 50% chance at anything. Also to get the pet you want it is more like a 25% chance that you will get it.

BTW, The price lowering was about playability and not custumer satisfaction. before the lowering pets cost up to 200,000 gold to hatch, and the game only lets you get 150,000. even now i find that it is still over priced.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2010
This is gambling.

Just now, I spent 12,000 crowns on a storm hound. The first two levels, I received lousy stuff, so it makes sense for me to start over, meaning, spend another 12,000 crowns, see what I get, etc. etc.

This is basically no different than pulling the lever on a slot machine. Now I can certainly afford losing $20 here and there, but $20 to some kids is everything they have. This is concerning to me - this spend $$$ (crowns), see what you get, oops, you lose, spend more, see what you get, oops you lose, etc.

Crowns = money. Gold = time playing the game. Crowns can buy anything (gold), gold can only buy some things. The feeling I have right now after losing $20 is the exact feeling I have in Las Vagas after losing.

Ben.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2010
I don't think it's gambling at all. If you feel the risk is too great then simply don't hatch. There has to be some chance involved to make it interesting. Some players just have very bad luck.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2009
You say you don't have to hatch pets. Yes, you are right and we adults understand that. But kids see their friends with unusual pets and they want them too. It is treadmill of peer pressure and it does cause the younger set to hatch and hatch again. And for those who are prone to addiction might cause them to love gambling. I vote for showing us what we would get if we hatched. thus eliminating the gambling aspect. peony552

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
I think there is more to this hatching than a wild gamble.

Twice now I have been able to better my pet by hatching. But I didn't just throw any two pets together.

My Life wizard took her Earthwalker and crossed it with her life fairy/pixie. She hatched another fairy/pixie that had a much higher bloodline score.

I did a similar hatch with my death wizard and got similar results.

This is only two tries, but perhaps there is more sense to the breeding.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
This is not gambling. By your definition of gambling, anything you do in the game is gambling. You spend your time farming a boss and you gamble what the drop will be. You fight anything and you gamble what spells will be used.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2009
Crowns=Real Money. Wouldn't parents have to buy that for their kids, or kids using their own money. I guess its kinda their choice if they want to spend or not.

Catherine Windrider Lvl 49 Balance

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
I'm sorry but anybody that doesn't think it's gambling needs to really think about it some more. I to am sick of spending real money to buy crowns and then buy over priced megasnack packs. When it's just to level up a pet for no ability and get another stat boost. Hatching is ridiculous it costs way to much no matter what you get as far as I'm concerned. When crowns are onsale it's not so bad but kids can't afford $60 a pop to get them onsale. I love the game but it is becoming to costly and frustrating anymore. I think they need to lower alot of prices and fix all the pet stuff where it doesn't take the fun out of the game. I'm a adult and you know if we are frustrated that kids are going to be even more. I also think considering how much money and time it takes to train the pets it shouldn't be so hard to get them. I don't know how many times I've fought that Gurtok Demon trying to get the Spectre pet. I and others were fight just to have somebody come in at the end of the battle and get it but not the ones that did most of the fighting. I hope Celestia is worth the wait because it is needed badly to makeup for all the pet frustrations.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Wow the apathy in the responses here are amazing.

Hatching can be BOTH a great idea AND too random. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree that the odds are a bit like gambling. The fact that it cost a great deal of money to hatch, only amplifies the inconvience. There are no real formulas to acquiring the pet(s) you want and after you spend a great deal of money trying you walk away feeling like you just gambled away your money.

I know that KI lowered the price, I know that the experience is voluntary, I know that KI has been upfront about the statistics of a successful hatch, and I know you can do this with gold. I am not going to agrue these points.

All I am saying that it really isn't necessary to make hatching the equivalent of a paid drop.