Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bad epic pet talent

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2010
After much time/crowns/gold have been spent leveling my storm wolf to epic I am extremely dissappointed at the talent I was given at the epic level. +9% def vs storm damage. And extreme let down from the most expensive high petigree pet I have seen to date. Why is this even and option? Hp/mana, generic Acc/def/dam I would image these talents manifesting in and epic level pet. Not a school specific resist with little to know use.

Thanks for time/crowns/gold wasted on this Not so epic pet.

Should be that when A pet reaches epic it should always gain and Utra rare / epic talent if it has a slot avalible.

Very unhappy paying customer.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have taken 3 different pets to Epic.

Minotaur (now my equipped pet)
order i received the talents:
Myth giver +% damage (maxed at 6%)
Myth shot +% accuracy (maxed at 6%)
courageous +25 max agility +25 max power
Health gift +120 health

I thought this good talents for a pet

Rat Magician
Myth ward: May cast Myth shield
Myth shot + % accuracy (maxed at 6%)
Intrepid (+max on stats, not sure which)
Resist Myth +8%

That pet ok, but doesn't beat my Minotaur

Satyr (gotten before update)
Pip talent +5% power pip
Spirited + 50 power
Life shot +% accuracy maxed at 7%
well trained + to max intelligence

Now what is the point of an accuracy boost on a life pet, and why after all the trouble of getting pet to Epic his last talent added to a stat?
This pet is now dancing around the outside of my Life house because I have a Life Minotaur that adds to my damage and is close to being epic. I am hoping for a better talent.

I do enjoy training the pets. Before the update the Minotaur that follows my Myth Wizard around was only eye candy and really not worth using. Now, with the update i get good bonuses when using him and don't have to keep using my orthrus all the time.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Survivor
May 22, 2010
Wow! You are so lucky!

My white rat magician is at ancient now (for the card)

I got

1)Myth Defense
2) +25 to agi and power
3)+25 to will and power

What useless talents for alot of time spent....

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I wondered about this as well, and I think those stats will come into play once the new world comes online. I think you may want to wait till you sell those pets.

Rogan Firehammer

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Superluther you are very lucky to have two pets with such useful talents. I have well over a dozen pets. I'm training one to epic, at least three to ancient, and most to adult. In fact I believe that only four of my pets are still babies. In all those cases the only pet who I've been lucky enough to get more than one useful trait from is the sturdy dragon I'm now trying to get to epic. In fact my storm hound was one of the most disappointing pet buys I've made, since he so far he has gained two stat increase traits, and a pitiful storm resist. Maybe I'll come back to him and hope to get something good once he is epic, but I'm not holding my breath. I may also try breeding him now that KI has dropped the price on that. But again I'm not holding my breath on getting something truly useful. I wish KI would make some way to better direct how time, effort, and in some cases money results from pet training.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:
Superluther you are very lucky to have two pets with such useful talents. I have well over a dozen pets. I'm training one to epic, at least three to ancient, and most to adult. In fact I believe that only four of my pets are still babies. In all those cases the only pet who I've been lucky enough to get more than one useful trait from is the sturdy dragon I'm now trying to get to epic. In fact my storm hound was one of the most disappointing pet buys I've made, since he so far he has gained two stat increase traits, and a pitiful storm resist. Maybe I'll come back to him and hope to get something good once he is epic, but I'm not holding my breath. I may also try breeding him now that KI has dropped the price on that. But again I'm not holding my breath on getting something truly useful. I wish KI would make some way to better direct how time, effort, and in some cases money results from pet training.

I know i was very lucky with the rat and the Minotaur. I recently got my Life Minotaur to epic and the last talent was life resist at 8%. Would have like something different like another card.

I do have other pets that are just playing in my yard because of their lack of skills. I would like to see less stat increases and more useful talents. I have noticed that the majority of the stat increases are ultra-rare talents. Right now i am training a Myth Leprechaun most of his traits are rare so maybe i will get more than stat increases with him.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
'Selfish' Talents, ie talents that only boost the pet, _can_ be useful, so long as the pet gets at least one useful trait.

Granted, though, 'useful' is a relative term. If you get a storm hound with an accuracy bonus, for example, a stat boost may will turn that 8% accuracy bonus into a 9 or 10% accuracy bonus.

And yeah, I do dislike that there is no way to determine what a pet's talents are going to be before you take the time/money to level it.

I actually ran an experiment with the $10 Blockbuster dragons. I bought a bunch over time, entered the codes all at once, and used the crowns that came with the dragons to feed them mega-snacks during training.

(Ive found that you can usually get a pet to ancient, or near ancient, on 2 mega-snack packs, especially now that the stat max no longer zeros out the pack's xp value.)

Of the 5 dragons, 3 got something fairly useful: 2 got an accuracy bonus, one got a damage bonus. Another got a mana bonus, that while useful, I don't find as valuable as an accuracy bonus. Only the last turned into a 'show pet' presenting two selfish traits in a row.

Now, as a rule of thumb, I do two things:

I don't buy a pet unless it has a card I _know_ will be useful to my character. That way any useful talents that pop up are a bonus, not something I count on. My money is better served elsewhere.

I don't bother taking _any_ pet beyond adult unless it presents a useful talent upfront, or unless it provides a card at that later stage that I deem worth my time and/or money.

Always remember that pets are nonessential to your character's growth. They may be helpful and you may elect to bring in one to your character to assist him, but people were making grand long before this update occurred, and even Ice Collosi can end up yard decoration.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I'm realatively happy with my stormzilla grandmaster pet, though it still has to be updated by Wizard101 staff to give it it's promised grandmaster pip chance bonus percent.

6% damage
8% storm resistance
+85 health
+50 intelligence

I do wish I could trade the intelligence in for increased mana though. I'd gladly pay 100,000 gold to be able to do that. Though, I guess if Wizard101 adds the pip chance on to my grandmaster pet, the extra intelligence should boost that chance a bit and that isn't bad either.

Note: I am storm and even so I like the extra storm resistance, storm attacks are common and they can be a bit powerful, so even as storm I am glad to see even less damage coming at me from such attacks.