Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Special chests

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
I spend crowns on getting items in the special chests and I am unable to use them, or sell them. I'm not planning on bringing up another character to use them later. If I'm going to spend my money and I don't like the item, I should be able to sell it to get the gold for it. Let's fix that.

Most items can be sold at the Bazaar for gold.

The only items that cannot be sold at the Bazaar are marked No Auction, and they can be sold to regular shopkeepers in any world.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Adherent
May 20, 2010
There are very few items that can't be sold somewhere.

The Bazaar pays best. If the Bazaar won't buy it, most shops will. Sometimes, you need to go to a shop specific to the item being sold (i.e. the furniture shop for furniture).

Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
my bad. I never checked the other shops for selling those items. I usually just go to the bazaar. Thanks for the info.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
It seems that if you are going to use crowns for the chests you should get only things you can use. Once in a while I get something I can actually use. If the purpose of the chests is to get us to buy and spend crowns, you are failing if no one wants to risk not getting something they cant use. Fix please.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
ladytida wrote:
It seems that if you are going to use crowns for the chests you should get only things you can use. Once in a while I get something I can actually use. If the purpose of the chests is to get us to buy and spend crowns, you are failing if no one wants to risk not getting something they cant use. Fix please.

Since each account allows for 6 wizards to be created, most people play several wizards from multiple schools. So if you don't get an item that the wizard can't use (the one at the chest), just put it in your shared bank for one of your other wizards to use. If you don't have a wizards from that school, and don't plan on making one, then sell it. There is no guarantee that you are going to get something worthwhile in the first place. This is assumed, and you are taking a gamble when you use it.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
speaking of chest what are the Obsidian chest I see a lot? Are they just there to fill in the background? Because I was never able to activate them.

Defender
May 31, 2010
I can so understand. I am new to the game and thought spending crowns on those chest would help me get the dropped pets I missed. It always gives me a piece of equipment that I can not use or sell at the bazaar. Yes you can sell them at the shopkeepers , but for a drastically reduced price. One item I have , a cloak , is unsellable at the bazaar , worth about 4,000 gold , but when I went to the shopkeepers, they were only willing to pay less than 100 gold.
I suggest looking up the creature page on the wiki , and seeing what items they drop before taking a chance and spending crowns on those chest. Also , if the boss you just killed is not from the same school as you , dont even entertain the idea of spending crowns on those chest. More than likely you will get an equipment item that you can not use or sell for a decent price.
I really wish we had a transmute clothing item card. so we could change the schools on some of that equipment. My character plays from the death school , and there just doesn't seem to be as many bosses from that school as the others.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
In regards to the Obsidion chests, they are apart of a quest later in the game near the end of Dragonspyre, you can't access them until you get the quest to collect what is inside.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
MsSandy121 wrote:
I can so understand. I am new to the game and thought spending crowns on those chest would help me get the dropped pets I missed. It always gives me a piece of equipment that I can not use or sell at the bazaar. Yes you can sell them at the shopkeepers , but for a drastically reduced price. One item I have , a cloak , is unsellable at the bazaar , worth about 4,000 gold , but when I went to the shopkeepers, they were only willing to pay less than 100 gold.
I suggest looking up the creature page on the wiki , and seeing what items they drop before taking a chance and spending crowns on those chest. Also , if the boss you just killed is not from the same school as you , dont even entertain the idea of spending crowns on those chest. More than likely you will get an equipment item that you can not use or sell for a decent price.
I really wish we had a transmute clothing item card. so we could change the schools on some of that equipment. My character plays from the death school , and there just doesn't seem to be as many bosses from that school as the others.

It isn't worth 4,000 gold because the bazaar won't buy it. Bazaar prices are based on availability: The less of an item already at the bazaar, the more it cost to buy and the more you get to sell. Obviously, since the item is not available at the bazaar to sell or buy, it has zero inventory of that item and shows a very high selling price. This is more of a bug than an actually reflection of what your item is worth. KI needs to fix that and eliminate these types of complaints by simple leaving the price field for non-auctionable items blank. If you're looking up the monsters on wiki (or the better wizard101central) website, then you should have already seen this to be true.

As far as your statement that decent school-specific drops are only found on monsters of the same school is completely false. All of the bosses drop multiple equipment from various schools, regardless of what school the boss itself is from.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Drifter69 wrote:
speaking of chest what are the Obsidian chest I see a lot? Are they just there to fill in the background? Because I was never able to activate them.

They are for the quest to get a dragon rider staff later in game.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
Ok thanks for the input. If they are for end game content, will this mean we will have to kill every boss in W101 all over again, just to get to these chest? I seen them only in Boss rooms from the beginner boss rooms to the Dragonspyre boss rooms. If that's the case then it is kinda lame that as a GM we will have to go through the whole spiral a second time around just for some staff.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Yes you will defeat some bosses from each world-except Grizzleheim if memory serves-to get pieces of the staff. It is rather easy except for one piece of the staff I got all the other pieces in under an hour. The logical reason for this is to be sure that you are leveled enough and can fight strategically enough to be able to face Malistaire successfully. It also shows you how much you have grown from your first day in the Spiral.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
BTW, on killing the bosses to get to the obsidian chests, you can actually just walk around the bosses and head straight for the chest in several instances. Think it works for Marleybone and maybe Mooshu, not sure on which others. Just try it. For my death wiz I dutifully fought all the bosses and it took over an hour. For my storm, I just walked around and had the whole thing done in less than 30 minutes!