Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hyglak Shadowstalker: Storm Resist Too High?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 02, 2009
For those of you who don't know, Hyglak Shadowstalker is a Boss in Grizzleheim's Mirkholm Keep. I just recently fought him and being a master I thought he'd be like all other other bosses in Grizzleheim. Just all out easy.

So I've defeated his minion, he's got full health. I use a Triton equipped with a Storm Blade (+30%), a Storm Trap (+25%), an Elemental Blade (+35%), and my natural storm boost of 11%. It nails him straight up, I had no broken blades, he had no shields, it end up doing 465 damage. A Triton with no boosts does in the 600's, 700's. If I am right it should have done in the 2 or 3 Thousands with the boosts I had. Then I did a Stormzilla with no buffs or traps, just my natural boost, it did 115 damage. That is just messed up.

Either it was an extremely unfair glitch, or he just has an insanley unfair storm resistance, something like -70% Storm Damage.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or it's just a messed up glitch.

Dylan ShadowTalon Lvl 46 Diviner

Hero
May 19, 2009
What is that like the first time you have ever fought a boss of the same school? Even the boss's in krokotopia have a resest to there own school. Also the boss's in Ds have around a 60% resest to there own school. How could you get to lv46 without ever realizing this, let me guess you also have no idea what a prism does either.

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
What is that like the first time you have ever fought a boss of the same school? Even the boss's in krokotopia have a resest to there own school. Also the boss's in Ds have around a 60% resest to there own school. How could you get to lv46 without ever realizing this, let me guess you also have no idea what a prism does either.

Wow, I know all storm bosses have storm resists, and yes, I know what converts are, but did you know, that sometimes, you don't have a convert in your hand? x Gasp! x That's shocking! But really, 3000 damage becomes 465, even that doesn't happen in DS. Even Malistare doesn't have that big of a resist to death!

But do the math.

Let's round 465 into 500. 500 is 16.5% of 3000. That means he'd have a resistance of 83.5%! And just in case you were wondering, I am not a math geek, I used a calculator :P I know no Dragonspyre boss has that high of a resistance. Not even any wizard has a resistance that high!

Can someone who actually knows what's going on answer?

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
garyboy11 wrote:
DarthNexus wrote:

Wow, I know all storm bosses have storm resists, and yes, I know what converts are, but did you know, that sometimes, you don't have a convert in your hand? x Gasp! x That's shocking! But really, 3000 damage becomes 465, even that doesn't happen in DS. Even Malistare doesn't have that big of a resist to death!

But do the math.

Let's round 465 into 500. 500 is 16.5% of 3000. That means he'd have a resistance of 83.5%! And just in case you were wondering, I am not a math geek, I used a calculator :P I know no Dragonspyre boss has that high of a resistance. Not even any wizard has a resistance that high!

Can someone who actually knows what's going on answer?

83% seems like the right amount for a high ranking boss. Ive never been foolish enough to waste so many traps and blades on an enemy of the same school like some people. But i have wanded a few boss's and i got about the same result. Death sword 110 damage, and the base hit only did about 24 damage to the death boss.

Also doesnt it seem very resonable that considering storm has the strongest attacks, that in turn the storm boss's would natruly have a higher reset to counter such a high hitting school? Besides even if you didnt "have it in hand" the chances are very high that you would of got the prism next turn considering you were able to put up so many blades and traps.

darthnexus

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
garyboy11 wrote:

Here's the trick I use when I need a convert. First off, I use 2 decks, that aren't the same name (gets confusing). One is my regular attack deck, the other is for when I am fighting my own school. Besides maxing out the prism, I also fill the sideboard with prism treasure cards (found at the bazaar). This way, when I can't get a prism after 3 or 4 rounds, I just discard a card and draw a prism. In this manner, I will always get a prism when I need it.

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
garyboy11 wrote:

Here's the trick I use when I need a convert. First off, I use 2 decks, that aren't the same name (gets confusing). One is my regular attack deck, the other is for when I am fighting my own school. Besides maxing out the prism, I also fill the sideboard with prism treasure cards (found at the bazaar). This way, when I can't get a prism after 3 or 4 rounds, I just discard a card and draw a prism. In this manner, I will always get a prism when I need it.

Hey thanks for the advice, I'll try that out!

And as for the post Newjoker wrote, Hyglak Shadowstalker ISN'T a high ranking boss. He's only like Rank 5. If a Rank 5 boss has an 83% resist, what would a Rank 9 boss in like, Dragonsprye or something have, like a 95% resist? I don't think 83% resist is normal at all. When I attack a Storm boss in DS, even without a prism it does SO much more than that. It's almost like they only have a 20% resist. NO boss I have fought ever has had a resist as high as Hyglak's. I'm not complaining, I just want to know if anyone else noticed this or if a moderator has an answer for me. The boss was easy anyways, it was just kind of a shock.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
That's true. A rank 5 boss should not have resistances that high.

I've been farming Yeva (rank 8 death boss) with my Life and Storm wizards. Life has the 100 damage death blade, so I used it on Yeva it did exactly 20 damage. That tells me Yeva has a resistance of 80%.

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I beat that boss, the other day on my storm!! I used tempest and I let the myth henchman kill the boss. I was a magus Diviner at that time. Even the wolves running around outside, I can do 916 damage without converts. Usse a blade, trap high pips and tempest.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
DarthNexus wrote:

I think all Elite Npc's, and Bosses, that match one particular school have a huge unfair advantage on someone matching the same school. Storm in particular is ridiculous unfair advantage on any student involved in the Storm arts.

I had many times, matched the same shield bonuses, accuracy buff's shield boost damage buff's, and same spell as the boss or elite used on me. When they cast that spell on you it hits with as much max damage as the card says and then sometimes more on you, with the word resist poping above your head when hit. "If I resisted, then why did I take all that damage on one hit, hmmm?"

The player casts the same combo spell exactly as the boss/elites spell. The word resist pops above the NPC's head, and your damage is always like half of what they just did to you, using the SAME EXACT buff's, and spell combo as they did, sometimes even a lot less damage.

All schools should have way, way more spell resistance on them if hit by a boosted spell of that players particular school then they do. But they don't.

Hero
May 19, 2009
Drifter69 wrote:
DarthNexus wrote:

I think all Elite Npc's, and Bosses, that match one particular school have a huge unfair advantage on someone matching the same school. Storm in particular is ridiculous unfair advantage on any student involved in the Storm arts.

I had many times, matched the same shield bonuses, accuracy buff's shield boost damage buff's, and same spell as the boss or elite used on me. When they cast that spell on you it hits with as much max damage as the card says and then sometimes more on you, with the word resist poping above your head when hit. "If I resisted, then why did I take all that damage on one hit, hmmm?"

The player casts the same combo spell exactly as the boss/elites spell. The word resist pops above the NPC's head, and your damage is always like half of what they just did to you, using the SAME EXACT buff's, and spell combo as they did, sometimes even a lot less damage.

All schools should have way, way more spell resistance on them if hit by a boosted spell of that players particular school then they do. But they don't.

Becasue they have a higher resest then you!