Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Apparently I'm playing wrong and need help.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
Hello wizards... I need a spot of help if you can.

I have been here for a little while and I really enjoy doing quests, finding things, solving puzzles and exploring. I was asked by a friend to come help him 'farm' a certain monster. So I went along. I don't know what "farming" is but I helped him kill this thing 3 or 4 times just for fun and giggles.

When I found out he was looking for a specific type of equipment I asked him why? He said to complete the set. I told him that I have never 'farmed' for anything specific and I just play with what I win/find/get.

He told me I was playing wrong and that's why my stats are bad. I didn't know they were bad.

So, should I stop doing quests and try to get the best gear by 'farming'? What is the best gear? Which stat is most important? Is there a list somewhere of the stuff I'm supposed to have at lvl 40? Have I wasted the last few months wandering around the spiral and doing the quests for fun and profit?

I am confused now. Hope someone can help me.

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Snaike wrote:

I have been here for a little while and I really enjoy doing quests, finding things, solving puzzles and exploring. I was asked by a friend to come help him 'farm' a certain monster. So I went along. I don't know what "farming" is but I helped him kill this thing 3 or 4 times just for fun and giggles.

When I found out he was looking for a specific type of equipment I asked him why? He said to complete the set. I told him that I have never 'farmed' for anything specific and I just play with what I win/find/get.

He told me I was playing wrong and that's why my stats are bad. I didn't know they were bad.

So, should I stop doing quests and try to get the best gear by 'farming'? What is the best gear? Which stat is most important? Is there a list somewhere of the stuff I'm supposed to have at lvl 40? Have I wasted the last few months wandering around the spiral and doing the quests for fun and profit?

No you haven't wasted anytime. Farming is a choice, never says you have to (I personaly do). There are no real requierments on how good your stats need to be by 40, you should at least have a little bit of boost in at least one of the following, accuracy, power, or resistance, for your own school. I bought some things at the baazar and ended up having +20% Storm Accuracy, +37% Storm Power, and +40% Storm Resistance, so the baazar is one option. There is also always the option of using crowns to buy the Valkirie or Overlord sets. They are each 10000 Crowns, which is about $20 real cash. I got a giftcard from my grandma and got the Overlord set, so now I have +10% Accuracy to all spells, +11% Power to all spells, and +27% Resistance to all spells.

To put it simply, no, you don't have to farm, it's a way of playing that gives you a chance at better equipment, and whatever you don't want or can't use you can sell. So the guy was wrong, you aren't playing wrong, (1) You didn't know about farming so how could you farm, and (2) You just haven't chose to, big whoop.

Hope this helps.

Dylan ShadowTalon Lvl 46 Diviner

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Don't despair! You are probably fine.
Now I do have a preference, on my death wizard; I like to go to the bazaar and buy equipment that boosts both the damage percent of my school and my power pip chance.
I just made a storm magician and realized that he doesn't need a power boost, he hits very hard already. The storm mage has pitiful health and accuracy. I decided that the storm mage needs accuracy boosts, and health boosts on his equipment. So, you see both wizards will be looking for different qualities when buying equipment.

Now, my mother has a lot of crown shop stuff and her equips give her spells of several different schools. She tends to look for stuff that gives universal boosts to, well, everything; health, mana, power pips, boosts for healing magic....

In short, I think what you play and how you play determine what you wear.

Hero
May 27, 2009
I don't think that there is any "wrong" way to play as long as you are having fun and not hurting anyone else in the process. Some people join fansites for information about the "best" gear at different levels. But, in my opinion, the best gear differs from player to player. Some like to add to their attack power, others like to add to their health. Some people just choose their gear for looks. It all depends on what you want to get out of the game.

Just because your friend wants certain things to equip doesn't mean that they'd necessarily be good for you, especially if you are a different main school. You obviously have a different style of play, so just enjoy.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Snaike wrote:

What? dont listen to him, you are playing perfectly. farming is sort of a hobby for the grandmasters who have beaten the game, or for players in dire need of an item. anyone who says questing is a waste of time ( ) does not know a thing about wizard 101. we were meant to have fun whle playing, doing things like you are, not like the "farmer" (lol) who was with you. btw, your stats are probably great!

paul ironflame, level 48 pyromancer, master of fire 8)

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
I agree with most of the posts here. There are other ways to get gear. Questing is a good way because of the xp and the bazaar is good if you can get the money. Cown gear is some of the best gear, but me personally, after the subscription fees i would rather not pay any more. Do whatever you like. Heck, I don't even care if my gear is good. I just get help from friends. As long as you have fun thats all the matters.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
Thank you all very much for your opinions and your guidance. It really means a lot to me.
I do have a question though, I was reading here where I could always just get the Overlord set. I have been to the Crown Shop and I have seen the "Overlord set" but it has no stats. Is this the same thing as discussed below?
garyboy11 wrote:
...There is also always the option of using crowns to buy the Valkirie or Overlord sets. They are each 10000 Crowns, which is about $20 real cash. I got a giftcard from my grandma and got the Overlord set, so now I have +10% Accuracy to all spells, +11% Power to all spells, and +27% Resistance to all spells.

If not, where do we purchase the Overlord Set with crowns?

Thanks again, you all are great!!

Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
There is really no point in farming until you get to Grand.

Typically you will earn enough gold during the course of questing that you can buy gears fairly close statistically to the best "No Auction" gear at each level. And as you level up you will tend to make the gear that you spent so much time farming for at lower levels obsolete.

Just play the game the way you have fun playing it and think about farming for gear and/or gold for when you run out of other things to do.

(Pets on the other hand, you might want to farm for sooner rather than later as you can now level them up with you as you go along)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
MangaofMyth wrote:

(Pets on the other hand, you might want to farm for sooner rather than later as you can now level them up with you as you go along)

Thank you. I actually don't play with pets. I can't see why I should. The pet derby (as far as I can tell) is bugged and there is only 1 pet game that I like to play (Cannonball)... so I don't have any pets to race or keep around. I think I have the piggle in the bank now /shrug.

I guess I'm doing that wrong, too. lol

Thanks again.

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
Snaike wrote:

Sure thing!
Snaike wrote:
I have never 'farmed' for anything specific and I just play with what I win/find/get.

Well, first of all... Nobody "plays wrong"... It is your game and you play however you want.

That being said, there is already some good advice here, and I will attempt to offer a little more.

Keep this in mind... Just because you get new gear in a battle, doesn't mean that it is better than what you have on. Many times it is much worse and can simply be sold. I don't know exactly the likelyhood, but it seems to me that only about 5% of what I get is actually worth upgrading to. The rest, is just "loot" that you can sell.

When you get a new item in a battle drop, don't automatically equip it. Wait until later when you can go through all of the items in your backpack and compare their stats to what you have on. Then pick the item that gives you the best stats.

My personal process for this is as follows:

1. Go through my BANK and/or SHARED BANK, and equip anything that is higher stats than what I am currently wearing.

2. Go through my BACKPACK and equip anything that his higher than what I am now wearing after examining my bank.

NOTE: At this point, I'm probably the ugliest, most horribly dressed wizard in The Commons. But I got the stats!!! WOOT! :D

3. Go to the BAZAAR and see if there are any items for sale (usable), that have higher stats than what I have on. Buy and equip anything that will significantly increase my stats.

4. After I have all of the items with the highest stats I can wear, I then go see Elouise (by Zeke), and pay her 100 crowns (10 cents) to stitch whatever look I like the best, to the items with the highest stats.

That process works pretty well. If you are wearing (equipped) an item, you can mouse over the items in the Bazaar and do a quick visual comparison of the stats.

Now. When comparing stats, that all depends on your wizard and what he/she needs. For instance, Storm wizards really need items that increase accuracy. Ice wizards need items that increase power.

For my Ice wizard, my personal order of preference is:

1. Health
2. Shield
3. Damage Power
4. Pip %
5. Accuracy

Also... When looking at Health and Shield (i.e. resist), it is important to do a quick calculation. If you already have 1000 health, and an item gives you 5% Shield, that is equivelent to 50 Health. If you have 2000 health, that same 5% Shield is going to effectively give you 100 Health.

If you pay close attention to the stats of the items you equip, you can really maximize your wizard's power.

This is probably more in-depth than you wanted to get, but hopefully others will get some good information from this post as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 34 (Magus Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 30 (Magus Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 28 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 21 (Adept Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 16 (Journeyman Necromancer)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
Wh1rledPeas wrote:

Now. When comparing stats, that all depends on your wizard and what he/she needs. For instance, Storm wizards really need items that increase accuracy. Ice wizards need items that increase power.

For my Ice wizard, my personal order of preference is:

1. Health
2. Shield
3. Damage Power
4. Pip %
5. Accuracy

Wow, that is a lot of good information. Thank you so much.

I only have the one wizard, Balance/life. I have always just looked for gear that gives the most health and mana... (almost 400 mana now) ...is there another stat that I should be looking for for a balance wiz?

Thanks again for your responses.

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
Snaike wrote:
Wh1rledPeas wrote:
Now. When comparing stats, that all depends on your wizard and what he/she needs.

Wow, that is a lot of good information. Thank you so much.

No problem. I'm glad you found it useful. Most think I'm just too analytical. LOL!

Snaike wrote:
I only have the one wizard, Balance/life. I have always just looked for gear that gives the most health and mana... (almost 400 mana now) ...is there another stat that I should be looking for for a balance wiz?

Well, my Balance wizard is still young (34), so I'm not sure what stats are the most efficient. That tends to change, as your wizard levels up. Initially, health is the most important. Then, as you start to gain natual health with your level, things like power pips, accuracy, and shield start to become more important.

I think looking for items with the highest health is probably a great choice for your balance wizard. Along with health, don't forget about shield (or resist). For instance, my Ice Grandmaster has 3,229 Health. But I also have 20% resist across ALL schools. So effectively, I have 3,875 health.

I don't put as big of an emphasis on Mana. A card that costs 6 pips, takes away 6 Mana. I don't think I've ever been in a single battle where I've used up more than 20-25 mana. And even that would be rare. After the battle, there are always wisps to collect, or bottles if you are in a dungeon. Worse case, you can mark your spot, go to the commons and collect some mana, then port back. Works the same porting to a friend when you're in a dungeon.

As long as I have 100 mana or so, I would choose an item that gave me more shield and/or health, than an item that gave me mana. But that's just me.

Snaike wrote:
Thanks again for your responses.

You are very welcome. These are just my ideas on how to maximize my wizard's stats. What works for you may be different. I think that's what makes the game so much fun, is figuring out exactly how to tweak your wizard to be the most effecient for your game playing style.

Above everything... JUST HAVE FUN! :D

Don't let anyone tell you that you're "playing wrong" ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 34 (Magus Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 30 (Magus Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 28 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 21 (Adept Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 16 (Journeyman Necromancer)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
Wh1rledPeas wrote:

I don't put as big of an emphasis on Mana. A card that costs 6 pips, takes away 6 Mana. I don't think I've ever been in a single battle where I've used up more than 20-25 mana. And even that would be rare. After the battle, there are always wisps to collect, or bottles if you are in a dungeon. Worse case, you can mark your spot, go to the commons and collect some mana, then port back. Works the same porting to a friend when you're in a dungeon.

As long as I have 100 mana or so, I would choose an item that gave me more shield and/or health, than an item that gave me mana. But that's just me.
I think this is where I'm getting messed up.

At level 45 I have tricked out my Wiz with about 3k health and over 400 mana... I really don't think I need that much mana... so I'm back at the bazaar trying to figure out what to replace what with...

Oh well, it's an ongoing experience.

Thanks again!!! =)