Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Same spell, different school?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
Hi guys! i dont know if you have noticed, but in krokotopia and marley bone, havent you guys seen different spells? well, they are similar, and if you dont get what i mean, here are some examples.

Lightning bats
ok, you all know lightning bats, right? well, in krokotopia i saw FIRE BATS! and ICE BATS too! if you are there, you know what i am talking about. some more i know of.
Fire elf
same with this, i saw a lightning elf in krokotopia and even ice bats, back in Colossus boulevard.
Evil snowman
i was attacked in marley bone by a gear head and was hit by lightning evil snowman.

i really dont know if you guys have noticed, but if you have, please reply. o, and where the heck do they learn these awesome spells? i could have really used ice bats in the Pyramid of the Sun. geez, i want these for myself, so if you know where to learn them, or where the monsters learn them, let me know so i can learn them and use them. this is crazy not to let us use awesome spells, but let the bad guys use them! (and i have a crazy idea: maybe malistaire teaches them?)
also, if you know any more same spell different school spells, let me know! i want to be prepared. :-)

Survivor
May 28, 2008
There are other spells with versions in multiple schools, but I don't want to spoil the fun of finding them by telling you too much about them. From what I have seen, this is done only with the three basic elemental schools; Fire, Ice, and Storm. My best character is just over level 40, and I have never seen any way to train those cross-over spells (not even treasure cards). I imagine we will see those spells become available in some future expansion though, even if only by way of treasure cards.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
I've noticed before:

Things I have seen:

Fire Elf -> Ice Elf, Storm Elf

Frost Beetle -> Storm Beetle

Thunder Snake -> Ice Snake

I thought that at one time, there were some treasure cards that you could combine with elemental schools (Storm, Fire & Ice) spells, that would change their element to a different element.

I'm not sure if those treasure cards are still available or not.

-p

Survivor
Aug 04, 2008
A few times i got Treasure card drops to change Fire elf into Storm or Ice elf. I think all of them from boss battle. My secondary school is Fire so i can make Storm elf and Ice elf using these Treasure cards. Also got a Treasure card to change Frost Beetle into Storm but i don't have this spell. I also just got a Treasure card to change Evil Snowman into Storm Snowman from Grum Foultooth in Crimson Field.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
Before Launch, I had treasure cards that allowed me to mutate a certain spell to another element (DONT ASK HOW I GOT THEM!). Thes cards had the title "Mutate [insert card name here]". For example, I had a Mutate Snowsnake treasure card. I if I had a thundersnake in my hand at the time and I used the mutate spell on it, I could use a thundersnake in ice version form. Pretty Cool, huh! Hope this helped.

Like Progenitor says above, I don't know if these cards are still available to being found.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
Okay, so my mind isn't just imagining things.

Wether or not those Treasure Cards are available to players or not, it definatly would seem that mobs have access to them.

-p

Explorer
Jun 28, 2008
I got a few mutate cards too. You get them after a battle. Only problem is that they are rare to get. I got raging kraken mutate card. By the sound of it, it will change storm kraken into fire kraken.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
OK, i knew most of that. i got one mutate card for the storm beetle once in a boss battle. and i also forgot some of the different school spells, like the storm snake i saw a fire and ice snake before. and i know you cant buy them, but i would like to, they are cool. plus, they help a lot because they do the same damage, so if you need a fire snake, you could have one if the wizard 101 people would make them available for buy. But thanks anyway for the spells and info!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I was thinking about this throughout the last day actually.

I think it is a way to "cheat" for the monsters. While the different Elf spells actually take into account the higher or lower damage that comes from different schools, I see Sand Giants in Krokotopia cast Ice Bats with the accuracy of ice, but with the power of thunder.

Trust me, you'll FEEL it when a thunder spell hits you. :P In-game, anyway.
While I think, no matter how small, letting mobs "cheat" is a bit unfair, I am not going to cry about it (YET), but I found this opportunity right here to post my reply to this post, expressing my own thoughts about it.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
Well, i am glad i could help you Shiningfantasia. but remember, if you have any spells like this, could you post it? i like to be prepared... ;)

Survivor
Jul 31, 2008
If we're keeping a list here, I have "Mutate Fire Cat into Frost Cat".

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
we are not exactly keeping a list, we just want to know what kind of spells are used in different schools. like you know lightning bats, but have you seen ice bats? or even fire bats? if you know things like that, then i want to know.
o, and i have a few more too.

Storm Shark
in marleybone i have seen an ice shark before.

thunder snake
in krokotopia there are fire snake and ice snake.

frost beetle
i have been hit with a rain beetle, which is the storm version of frost beetle.

Thats all i can remember right now, and if you know of some more, put it on! i might put more on as well if i can remember some...

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Yea, in battles in Marleybone and a few of the later boss fights in Krokotopia, I have gotten the Mutate Thunder Cat and Mutate Ice Cat.
I have also gotten a Mutate Rain Beetle, and even a Mutate version of the Kraken.

Now, I am not sure, but those seem to be treasure cards that you can use ONCE to summon the different elemental spell. Its 100% accuracy, so, do you use the card, and then cast the respective spell?

I dont think I am entirely sure lol.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2008
Progenitor wrote:
I've noticed before:

Things I have seen:

Fire Elf -> Ice Elf, Storm Elf

Frost Beetle -> Storm Beetle

Thunder Snake -> Ice Snake

I thought that at one time, there were some treasure cards that you could combine with elemental schools (Storm, Fire & Ice) spells, that would change their element to a different element.

I'm not sure if those treasure cards are still available or not.

-p
ive seen:
storm beetle/ice beetle/fire beetle/scarab

ice elf/fire elf/storm elf

snowman/stormman

storm shark/ice shark

lightning bat/ice bat/ fire bat

ice snake/fire snake/ storm snake...

isnt it fun to find out all the different school spells

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Reading back on my post I had written when my Storm wizard was still in his twenties or so, makes me realize exactly how much I have learned over all this time.

I have actually taken the time to learn about making treasure cards, and I now regret having given away most of my mutate cards.

I have several Storm beetles, and with the help of a fellow Fire wizard, I now have several Storm cats and Storm Elves. What is so special about them, while they are only one-time uses, is that they are 100% accuracy.

Wow. I had a Fire Kraken card I could have made, and I had a mutate Storm Snowman. A level 3 Storm Snowman spell with 100% accuracy. Keep all your mutate cards, and make your wizards special. I look forward to casting Storm beetles and Storm cats with my Storm wizard while other people are watching in awe, wondering how I got those spells.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2008
I have seen a ton of these kind of cards but I have never got any.
I have seen...

Storm bats- Ice bats, Fire bats

Storm shark-Ice shark (Awesome) , Fire Shark

Evil snowman-Magma man, Storm man

Storm snake-Fire snake, Ice snake ( Not the one you get in ice school)

Fire elf- Ice elf, Storm elf

Ice beetle/Scarab- Storm beetle

Stormzilla-Firezilla

Kraken- Fire Kraken, Ice Kraken

Fire Cat
- Storm cat

I am constantly seeing new stuff!

Administrator
These are achieved through Mutate Cards.

Keep an eye out, Mutate Cards drop as Treasure, and are in fact, Treasure cards.

For example, say you get the Lightning Beetle Mutate card. You would use this card on the Ice Beetle to turn it into a Lightning Beetle.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Dec 11, 2008
I honestly think that there should be items that either give mutate cards, or mutates your existing cards, because although I have not reached Moo Shu yet, I doubt that they drop often enough.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
On Subject: I know most of you might not believe me, but in Mooshu, a boss named Yakedo uses Stormzilla fire mutate. Some street enemies called Otomo Supply Runners use the Mutate Lava Colossus, or whatever its called. I just wish these enemies would drop treasure cards of the mutated spells they use. Btw, out of all you guys, whoever can enter mooshu, go to the Tataki Outpost, thats where the Otomo Supply Runners can be found. And Yakedo can be found in the Crimson Fields.

P.S. : Can Grum Foultooth really drop the Storm Evil Snowman Mutate?

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone gotten Rank 6 spell mutates from other enemies? I've only seen them.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
I meant to say this earlier, but this happened on 1/28/09. I was trying to get Tomugawa's blade, when the Kakade Shadow had 7 pips, and used Lightning Colossus.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
The things are called mutate like mutate fire elf into an electric elf.
Kraken+ fire mutate= Fire Kraken
Fire Elf + Ice mutate= Ice Elf
Thunder Bats+ Fire Mutate= Fire Bats
Fire Cat+Ice Mutate=Ice Cat
The only cards that cant mutate are Life Myth Death and probably thats it

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
Coinpurewc wrote:
The things are called mutate like mutate fire elf into an electric elf.
Kraken+ fire mutate= Fire Kraken
Fire Elf + Ice mutate= Ice Elf
Thunder Bats+ Fire Mutate= Fire Bats
Fire Cat+Ice Mutate=Ice Cat
The only cards that cant mutate are Life Myth Death and probably thats it

Yes. You cant mutate life myth and death, but the only spell i agree should be mutated with this is, Fire Elf with a death mutate. Since death has poison, why wouldnt it be great to be able to mutate Fire Elf into a Death version? Also, has anyone seen the following:

Firezilla, Lava/Lightning Colossus, Lava/Frost Shark, StormBird, Frost/Lava Kraken. If anyone has seen or had any of those cards, tell me. And, does anyone know what enemy drops these mutates?

Defender
Dec 09, 2008
Lynked wrote:
Hi guys! i dont know if you have noticed, but in krokotopia and marley bone, havent you guys seen different spells? well, they are similar, and if you dont get what i mean, here are some examples.

Lightning bats
ok, you all know lightning bats, right? well, in krokotopia i saw FIRE BATS! and ICE BATS too! if you are there, you know what i am talking about. some more i know of.
Fire elf
same with this, i saw a lightning elf in krokotopia and even ice bats, back in Colossus boulevard.
Evil snowman
i was attacked in marley bone by a gear head and was hit by lightning evil snowman.

i really dont know if you guys have noticed, but if you have, please reply. o, and where the heck do they learn these awesome spells? i could have really used ice bats in the Pyramid of the Sun. geez, i want these for myself, so if you know where to learn them, or where the monsters learn them, let me know so i can learn them and use them. this is crazy not to let us use awesome spells, but let the bad guys use them! (and i have a crazy idea: maybe malistaire teaches them?)
also, if you know any more same spell different school spells, let me know! i want to be prepared. :-)
When you beat bosses they may drop a mutate treasure card in my sideboard I have a FrostCat Mutate :)

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
Lynked wrote:

Lightning bats
Fire elf
Evil snowman

These are to make the game different and more exciting

You can actually change them like this yourself if you have the treasure card to transform it in to!

Hope i could help

from

CoolDude1785 :D