Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do older players play NOT for their kids?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 06, 2009
Hello,
I am Jesse Ghostwhisper, and I was wondering if there was many older players that play not for their kid(s). I don't know any older players that don't have kids (I don't have older friends that don't play for their kids). So if you don't play for your kids/if you know someone that doesn't play for their kids please reply. :?

Hero
May 19, 2009
Why do you assume that any adult who plays this game, only plays bc of there child.

The average age of video and computer game players is 33 years old, and a quarter of gamers are 50 years old or older, a trade group said in a recent report.
The 2005 report released by the Entertainment Software Association showed that video and computer games are as attractive to adults as to teens. Fully 44 percent of gamers were between the ages of 18 and 49, and 31 percent were under 18 years old. Males accounted for more than three out of every five players.

Survivor
Oct 03, 2009

I am an older player (just turned 67 today) and I don't have a "kid" at home anymore so I'm definitely playing for myself. My sister who is just 16 years younger than me also plays for herself...

Pat R (Autumn Jadeheart Grand Master of Balance)

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I am over twenty, and I don't have kids. Though my mother did introduce me to the game...

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
I think its weird that adults play this game. seems too simple.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
Nexus, Jesse wasn't assuming. She was just asking if anyone here doesn't play for their kid.

My mom's friend doesn't =] My mom, however, plays to play with me.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2009
Im 29 years old and have no children.....I have played almost 2 years now and love every minute of it...Feel free to look me up...Grandmaster Life Wizard Lenora LifeHeart

Survivor
Feb 23, 2010
Just for your info my child is to young too play. I play becuse it is simple fun and clean. I am an oldschool gamer dont really like mmo's like wow or d&d online. I grew up with pen an paper rpgs. So you are not alone.
master of death.
grand master of ice. Gabrial skull chaser
adept at fire. Oran Redflame
aptrintace of life. Reed Mythspeaker
adept at storm, pet breader.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I am old enough to have grandkids, but I have no children/grandchildren, and I play a lot.

While this game is set up for kids, many things also make it great for older players.....the combat system allows us to use our heads rather than how fast we can push buttons (as on most other MMOs), it isn't serious but actually enjoyable entertainment. it is very inexpensive to play, and some of us are slipping back into our second childhood, so we fit in well. :)

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
I'm 20, which may not be much older than the younger group that plays, but I do not have any kids lol. I've met a couple of older players that play as well.

Defender
May 30, 2009
I DO have children that play the game. More times than not though, I am usually with other adult friends in the game playing. Same goes for my husband who also plays. Occasionally we like for the four of us to quest together, my daughter and son included, but most of the time we are all off doing our own thing. So as far as playing "for" my children, then no. But there are those times where we play "with" them.

Defender
Mar 06, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
Why do you assume that any adult who plays this game, only plays bc of there child.

The average age of video and computer game players is 33 years old, and a quarter of gamers are 50 years old or older, a trade group said in a recent report.
The 2005 report released by the Entertainment Software Association showed that video and computer games are as attractive to adults as to teens. Fully 44 percent of gamers were between the ages of 18 and 49, and 31 percent were under 18 years old. Males accounted for more than three out of every five players.

I know, I know I don't believe that most adults play because of their kid(s) I was just wondering.

Defender
Mar 06, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
Nexus, Jesse wasn't assuming. She was just asking if anyone here doesn't play for their kid.

Uh I am not a girl, I am a boy!

Defender
Mar 06, 2009
Shannoony wrote:

But other than that, you got me wrong (I am a BOY not GIRL) you completely understand what I am asking.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Hi- I am older and don't have kids.

IamLezul

I have played a lot of different games. This game is tactically more complex than many games. Depends on how you play.

Explorer
Nov 01, 2009
I just turned 46 last month. I don't have any kids, though my husband, who plays as well, has a 13 year old son from a previous marriage and does not live with us. So my husband and I play W101 together just for pure fun, not because we have kids.

The characters we are currently working on are Jasmine Thunderwalker (lvl 37 Storm) and Logan Firecaster (lvl 39 Fire). If you happen to be in Mooshu and see us, say hi.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
IamLezul wrote:

A game doesn't have to be complex to be enjoyable.There are several facets to it that are extremely appealing to older players. And while KI obviously gears some of the content to a younger crowd, it is not meant to be solely a child's game. It is in fact advertised as a "family game". I actually find your comment a little short-sighted and weird. :?

Survivor
Nov 09, 2009
I see older players rarely...but it would be VERY nice to see more...I'm going to explode if I see some little kid say "I need a girl o friend" one more time!!! Dont even get me started on people who cap...

Survivor
Apr 16, 2010
IamLezul wrote:

Actually, that's one of the draws to the game.

I'm 33, single, and have no kids. I play this game and I love it. Part of why is because it's simple. After playing a bunch of complex console and PC games, sometimes it's nice to kick back, click a few buttons, and watch the fireworks. The game is cute, amusing, and not a bad way to pass the time. What's weird about that? :)

Survivor
Apr 21, 2010
I'm an older player don't have any kids wife passed away last year I play because it's simple and relaxing to play.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Ruflle wrote:
wife passed away last year

sry to hear that.

Survivor
Nov 09, 2009
Pyranf wrote:

It actually isnt very simple. The game can be complicated while your fighting.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
IamLezul wrote:

I can understand why you might feel that way but I think it's the "simplicity" that adults like. (this is just my opinion)
An adults life is busy and chaotic but when you play this game it is a GREAT stress reliever. There's no foul language to deal with like in most games, I hardly ever see any fighting. I don't know I just see it as a terrifice break from real life. Without all the negativity and competition and attitudes that you see from people in most games, this game is so much more enjoyable. It's basically drama free :) and I believe THAT is what draws many adults to this game.
The great thing is that your never too old to have fun and the more adults I see playing this game, the more I smile.
KingsIsle is THE best and I feel very fortunate to have come across this game.

:D

Survivor
Apr 15, 2010
yes!!!!!!!!!!
me and my wife play.
i am a level 50 grandmaster as is my wife. we have been playing for three months now and are still having fun.
are kids do not play on our computers at home becouse we are always on them. i think they play at school when they can though.
also we are looking foward to the new world comming out late this summer.
i am wolf wildtail grandmaster pyromancer and my wife is blaine ravenwisper grandmaster thaumaturge (ice).

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I am in my mid-forties with no children and i play this game often. I have made many friends on this game... some young and some older. But will have to say most of the people on my friends list are adults.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life