Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Issue with Minotaur

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 01, 2010
While using the minotaur spell (not the minion), against myth monsters and having a prism on them. The minotaur, who takes 2 hits on a monster, uses the prism on the first, but it doesn't use it for the second more powerful part of the attack. This to me seems like a problem, and a little unfair to make you use 2 prisms if you want to make it hit like (in my mind, at least) it should.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Minotaur is a shield Breaker as is the the Orthrus and yes it maybe a pain to add two prisms on a foe but if a myth foe puts on a storm shield and you need to get that off of him if you put two prisms on him chances are he wont last long enough to add a second storm shield after the first one is taken off and so you do extra damage on the second hit because he has no storm shield on him.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
It's the proverbial "double-edged blade" as they say. The downside is what you just mentioned,but the the upside is that if they are shielded,the wimpy attack breaks the shield,while the majority damage follows up with a nice hit.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Yes. When KI created the prisms, they did not take into consideration Myth or Fire. With Myth, you have Minotaur and Orthurus(sp?), both of which does 2 hits, the first being a very small damaging attack. With Fire, every other spell you learn are DoT attacks.

KI, please change the way the prism works for these 2 schools. The prisms needs to convert ALL of the damage their spells does, not just the initial damage.

I'm really glad you posted this gajames3333, because I started a Myth not too long ago and have been considering just how bad off he is going to be in the later parts of Mooshu and all of DS because of how his prism currently works. I have no intention of sitting around 12+ rounds waiting for the lousy dealer to give me 2 prisms in order to use either of my 2 top spells.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
That is one of the major issues with the spell...it has major benefits (blowing away protective shields) and also negative benefits (blowing away damage boosting & prisms) with the first blow.It is a major issue that you need to prepare for when entering battle.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Try to think of those kinds of spells this way.

The first weak hit is mainly used to take off shields that the enemy may have, and the second, more power hit, is used to deal max damage to them.

So while it may seem annoying to put up twice the traps, in the end, it's well worth it.

I hope I helped.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Survivor
Mar 13, 2010
It's the same with all monsters, not just myth ones. But I agree, one trap/prism should suffice.

Delver
Mar 19, 2009
gajames3333 wrote:
While using the minotaur spell (not the minion), against myth monsters and having a prism on them. The minotaur, who takes 2 hits on a monster, uses the prism on the first, but it doesn't use it for the second more powerful part of the attack. This to me seems like a problem, and a little unfair to make you use 2 prisms if you want to make it hit like (in my mind, at least) it should.

Yes!!! This is a major problem with fire too... It's very annoying and I wish they would last the whole spell...

Example: You cast fire elf (prism on opponent) first hit 60 damage compared to 50 then the T part is still all 70... IT'S ANNOYING KI!!!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Maybe they can turn prisms into a blade (Blades affects both sides of the spell.)

Explorer
Dec 09, 2008
Solstice has a great point. There's no reason for prisms to be traps when converting an attack deals with the attack itself not the point of impact.

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
My first grand was a myth and yes that is REALLY annoying. However, myth has the nice advantage of having almost no enemies that are myth. Off the top of my head all the main quest enemies that are myth are the people in the Forum of Dragonspyre, and the pigs in Mooshu (the ninja ones and the disease ones). When you have to fight them my best advice is to just keep blading and frogging/earthquaking and then you should be fine. For bosses, my best advice is to get some friends. If that is not possible (I know everyone is going to be whining "but my friends never help" if I don't give some alternate strategy) just summon your minions. The zero pip minion is really useful, he will just keep hammering away and barely every uses myth attacks. If you have the minotaur minion, I would recommend using it in Mooshu, but not in Dragonspyre.

So there you have it. How to deal with Myth enemies. Good luck.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I don't know why you guys keeps saying that first hit of Minotaur and Orthrus is used to take out shields. If I'm fighting a monster that uses shields against myth, I switch to my Myth wand. Like everyone else who is hit by a Weakness or sees a Tower Shield, we use our weakest card or a wand to take them out. Only 2 schools actually have a Myth specific shield, so Minotaur and Orthrus were created specifically for them? Give me a break.

The power of your spell originates from you, so it should be converted when it leaves you, not when it arrives at it's destination.

Myth's double hits and Fire's DoT damage should all be converted when a prism is used. Period.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
I disagree with dragonwisperer, because i beat a dragonspyre boss with minotaur minion. It taunts them so i can double prism it.

Explorer
Dec 09, 2008
Dragonwhisperer123 is right to an extent however I seem to recall that the Ronin in Mooshu have a lot of Myth types in their ranks. Other worlds employee at least a few Myth Monsters but they are usually not bosses. That is the one true upside to the Minotaur, It can perform nicely against most bosses especially the ellusive Storm ones.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
Maybe they can turn prisms into a blade (Blades affects both sides of the spell.)

Believe it or not, I would be against that. It brings too much power to the hit-all cards and reduces the challenge too much.

What I want is for KI to recognize the unique abilities of Myth and Fire (and yes, I'm going to ignore Frost and Poison) and talor thier Prisms to convert ALL the damage these 2 schools do in relations to the double-hitting Myth and the DoT Fire.

Explorer
Dec 09, 2008
Just one problem comes to mind... whether it is in blade form or trap form, there will always be some people who disagree with the form it is in. Blade form would allow all out going damage to convert, but any myth spell used will trigger the prism. Yet if you use trap form, any attack that is myth that hits the trapped monster will trigger the prism. It all comes down to preference and that will always be a problem when it comes to personal opinions, especially of the public sort.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
though i dont have a myth character i have played many in pvp and it seems that with myth you should just forget traps all together and use blades because with myth your goal is to get pass the shields and do a consistent amount of damage, that is why myth is formidible in 1v1 combat because it keeps your opponent on a failing defense. so dont try to one hit your opponent but try to do descent damage on them in quick intervals. for this i recommend you to be at least midlevel magus before you do any pvping in ranked arena, and at that level you should do mainly 1v1's also at that level you will likely have deck of the lotus or deck of chivalry, so 4 myth blades, 4 spirit blades, and 4 minotaurs would be the base of your deck and in the fifthteen seconds you have before the match you should make an assesment of your opponents school and put a few defenses in your deck corresponding to that school it should also be fit that you have two or three attacks that are not in your school to rid your self of weaknesses, this can also be accomplished with a wand of a different school than myth. :) hope this helps