Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Threat Increase for Low Levels

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:
First off, I find your post conpletely rude. Absolutely NOONE prior to your post complained about low level wizard porting to them when they are in later worlds. We have no control over how other players pick their friends or whether they leave porting on.

... I for one would like to see some kind of restriction in place to prevent world hopping beyond their means.

First off, I find your post completely rude. Low level wizards do port to higher-leveled friends- that's kinda how they got there in the first place. Then after that they usually start joining battles.

I agree. People should choose friends wisely and turn port off.
I often help my mom out in Dragonspyre, or when I'm on my little wizards I help my other friends in Krokotopia or whatever, so if they did such a thing as target the lowest wizard, I wouldn't be able to help any of my friends when they really need it.

I wish we could control people who intentionally go around world-hopping and ruining everyone else's game play so this thread wouldn't be necessary to post, but we can't. But maybe instead of asking KingsIsle to do everything, we can just find another solution ourselves.

Like what? No one knows when the next noob port person is gonna happen, why should we turn off ports for a couple people and ruin the other 20 people on who could help you?

Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
I actually posted on this very topic on wizard101central.com please take a look and check out the poll, user name is the same. Its under Port Pop up.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
Okay. Easier option.

Delete anyone you don't do anything with.

But anyway, KingsIsle has more important things to be dealing with right now, so it may be a while before they can do anything anyway.

Either delete, ignore, do whatever, or get over it.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
Okay. Easier option.

But anyway, KingsIsle has more important things to be dealing with right now, so it may be a while before they can do anything anyway.

Apparently, YOU aren't reading anything here. It's not OUR friends porting to us that's the problem. It's low-level wizards porting to other wizards (completely out of our control) and then hanging around and interfering with everyone's else's battles.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
Okay. Easier option.

Ignoring problems will not make them go away; and what could KI have that's more important than fixing problems for customers? As for your"delete everyone" option, that won't work either. You may not want this to be fixed,and that is certainly your preference,but the problem is getting worse,and needs to be fixed by some means.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
jaronuts wrote:
Firefrog16 wrote:
what i am starting to do now is when a low level comes in, i tell them to make themselves useful in 2 rounds or i flee, if they dont, then i leave the battle

Doesn't that just mean that you gave many of them what they wanted which was messing up your fight because many of them do that for no other reason is to enter a mob fight, then another enters (sometimes the trouble makers work in pairs) then leave you stuck with 4 enemies instead of 2 or 3.

Some even mark their spot, enter a fight, leave, drink a potion and come back quick to watch and see if you life or die. Once you wore them down to the last guy they come in and make a single hit getting credit for the full fight and the drops.
Not really, if they are low lvls, and you drop out when they are inside the battle, they will flee or be dead

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
I actually like this idea. While, yes, it would cause a spam of "heal me pls!" from the dead low level character, it would give the others a round or two to get their bearings and put shields and such up to survive. I'm also quite positive that someone will abuse the function by tricking a low level person into joining a fight they cannot survive in, and use the sudden changed aggro to blade or preform an action that would otherwise leave them vulnurable.

However, I would still rather see a default option of "[Name of friend and level] wants to teleport to you, allow them? [yes]/[no]"

Add to that a function that boots dead characters to the highest spiral world they have the key for, and the problem should be close to solved.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I like this idea.

I would also suggest the lower level person only be allowed into a battle IF they are with their friend. That would eliminate running around getting into battles on their own.

Turning ports off is fine if EVERYONE would do it. Sadly, that won't happen. Choosing friends wisely is fine too. We just just can't control others behaviors.

I always ask before porting. My friends get annoyed with me sometimes for asking. But, I prefer to ask first. My lower level friends do the same for me. Here again that only works if everybody does it. Most don't so it is not that effective.

Porting to all areas is part of having a subscription or buying an area with crowns. I don't see that option ever being changed. I hope KI continues to look at and fix this problem. It causes division in the game and hard feelings on both sides. It does need to be dealt with in some form.

Megan

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
Hello. Us Maguses, masters and grandmasters love the thrill of unlocking new worlds and bosses. But some can't wait. We've been noobs and had mistakes. In a previous post, somebody said we had to find a solution OURSELVES. Sometimes in our young age we rely on other people to do the things we want. Soon some players might want to work for KI. When you do, posts like this will pile and pile. Please, find a solution yourselves. Say my player is in Katzensteins Lab. A jounreyman then teleports while some other sigils are empty on dr. katzensteins fight. What do we do? Some might flee and do his lab again. See? WE have to fight our fight. Not be immature and rely on other people. Live with it, or find a solution. Make a lifelong choice. LOL dramaticness. But seriously. MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Jasmine Level 31 Magus Needs help in Katzensteins lab Life school

Explorer
Jun 04, 2010
DarthNexus wrote:
O: that would be great, death to da noobs. But of course they would just spam everyone asking to be healed.

PLZ DONT DO THIS!!! i am naturally low for my area, and i would get killed every time!

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i am handling it a simple way
if you are not level 48 or higher you are deleted.

i will help a high master [level 48 or 49] and grand masters who ask me.

no. i will not give you my ingame name...
i have a boat load now i am trying to help..

i do not like turning off port then my friends can not port in to me.

the basis of our problem has to do with
the lack of general consideration of other players we encounter

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Why don't you just turn off friend ports? That should block about 70-80% of the lower levels barging in.

Defender
May 17, 2009
I don't think it should be a level limit, but it depends if they have they key there or not, cause some people can get to Mooshu at level 28

Defender
May 17, 2009
BayouGirl wrote:
You know, if people choose their friends poorly and choose not to utilize the in-game controls given them, that's their problem and should not become everyone's problem.

I farm two characters together in instances all the time because I pay for two accounts and I enjoy playing that way. My Life character is a Magus and farms often with my Grand. With my Life there to shield and heal, the battling goes faster and more efficiently and is much less of a tedious exhausting grind. Being able to do this makes one of my favorite activities much more enjoyable and rewarding for me. Which makes the game itself much more enjoyable and rewarding for me.

I hate to sound mean, but if some people are so foolish as to make poor friend choices, they should have to live with the consequences of their choices and no one else. If you choose to have friends, it comes with the territory. They know when they hit that "yes" button to a friends request that they are taking that chance, and they choose to. I am hurting no one by playing ANY LEVEL of my characters together in my play, and if my harmless gameplay were to be impacted by other people's bad personal choices I would be very upset indeed. They've been given tools to prevent these things. They won't use them, and now they want more.

I think this is a very bad idea. Learn to pick your friends wisely and don't create problems for yourself and everyone else. The last thing anyone needs to do is make it everyone else's problem too. My vote on this is a very definite NO.

The problem is, we don't choose who the other people we don't know's friends are. We can make rational choices, but some other can't.

Defender
May 17, 2009
MSS11 wrote:
i disagree. if you are lets say a level 42 in dragonspyre and your friends are working to fight this boss, and they are two levels higher, you would die yourself. it ruins the balance of the game. but yes, it would be nice to not have level 10s in our battles. especially when they cause more enemies to come into a battle

So just make it depend on wether or not you have the spiral key, not on the level.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
I've been in a few of those situations where suddenly you have one or two low levels in your battle.

My policy is; I don't heal or shield, and if you pass more than once, I pull out my Reduce Threat on Target cards and do some passing of my own. They catch on pretty quick.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I still like my idea -

One level up porting.

So for example if you have gained access to Marleybone, you are allowed to port to Mooshu, and Mooshu to Dragonspyre, but not Celestia. There still would be issues with say a complete noob getting to the Temple of Storm, but at least they aren't at Cuthalla.

Seems like a measured response, and a way for friends to stay friends.

Some people are missing the point. I am very careful with who I let be friends. Others aren't. The noobs port to those people then they wander around and get into fights they don't belong in. It only takes one person to ruin it for a whole bunch.

Another idea, the zero-pip "Can't Join" card. How many of you would spend a training point on that? :D

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I think that the best solution for this issue, as well as the issue with random people joining your battle, is that the person in the number one position on the circle should have a button that pops up which they can click to "close circle". It should be a simple toggle so that they can unlock it if someone asks for permission. If KI wants to get really fancy, they could add an option for people trying to join a closed circle that would ask the lead spot something like... "so-and-so would like to join your circle. Accept or Deny?". That my two cents worth anyway.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
My solution for this would be slightly different. I can understand why some lower level players like to port to DS and CL. That's where the good drops that make money the fastest are. That is why they do it, and sadly most don't seem to care that they used a firecat on the traps, feint etc you just put on the guy to kill him with a Helephant next round. They only want the drop at the end of the fight to sell in the bazaar. So I suggest locking drops to items relative to the players level. If you are a level ten, you get drops for say level twenty and below only. I think that would stop most of the problem.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
i only port if my friends say i can and then i heal them not kill the boss and get all the good stuff anyway they usally beg me to heal them

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
DarthNexus wrote:
O: that would be great, death to da noobs. But of course they would just spam everyone asking to be healed.
Who ever i quoted i think hes(or she) is right.Cause i tried to beat a boss in krokotropia but i died... daniel storm cloud lvl 16

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
compguru1 wrote:
The easiest solution given game design would seem to be limit porting to realms you have earned access to. The problem with threat raising is what has been mentioned. If threat was just increased you would get low levels endlessly requesting healing and they would still be adding an enemy that the low levels by no means can take care of.

Ok as usual I'm giving my two cents worth on the topic lol.

I have two low level wizards; storm and ice (lvl 11) currently they are on vacation. I am levling up my balance wizard which is now level 42 in Mooshu. I have two legendary wizards (death and myth) and a level 55 pyromancer working in the floating land.

That being said, i consider myself a competent wizard wether I have a novice or a legendary wizard. I have done trial of the spheres with my life friend using my balance wizard who was about level 30. Of course, i focussed on shielding, buffing and healing my friend instead of attacking. Needless to say we defeated all of the bosses including mythrya without any of us dying or having to flee and port back.

I also had a player asked me to add him. I was playing on my myth wizard at the time and was doing the moon temple. he was level 30 and in mooshu. I added him and he and I did the moon temple together, and trust me, if it had not been for him I would have died a lot of times.

The problem is not really "noob" wizards as we like to call them but the problem is wizards who do not know how to duel properly. trust me, i have been in fights with grandmaster wizards and I have to be wondering to myself, "how in the world did this person become a grandmaster?" because their fighting skills left much to be desired.

Not all "noob" wizards are useless, some of them actually knows how to duel well and will assist you greatly in your battles and will even follow you around and help you complete your quest faster.

To be fair though i have encountered some "noob" wizards in celestia that jumps into a fight with you uninvited and then flee and leave you with more opponents than you can manage. It can be very annoying but what or how can this be solved?

Totally banning noob wizards from entering areas that they are not the required level to enter would defeat the process of adding friends. Because what if the only firend i have on to ask for help is a lower level than me? Then I can't ask them to help because they cannot port to me. Consequently, i am way ahead on my crafting quest and I have had to ask my friend to take me to the various worlds to get the other crafting quests because am still not at the required level to enter. Can you imagine me being an adept crafter from Marleybone and having to wait until i reach DS in order to get the Master Artisan quest?

One solution might seems best in one particular situation but you have to consider the broad impact that it will have on all players and the game in general.

I cannot afford two accounts so I can play two wizards at a time to help my own self out on quest. I have to rely on friends or minions. maybe what you can do is join a group. I understand that once you join a group then only persons in the group can enter your fights.

Thanks for reading.

Survivor
Sep 17, 2010
I think all low levels shoud be allowed to port anywhere they want except Celestia. Celestia should be a reward for completing all the other quests. This would solve a ton of problems. Just dont let them in. Hopefully when and if they earn their way in they will have learned some maturity. These lower levels consistently ruin the game for everyone else. While it is not fair to paint everyone with the same brush I feel this is the easiest solution. I earned my way to every single world. I feel everyone should. I had someone the other day, while farming bosses in stormriven, that was braging that he had never even been to marlybone or krockotopia. Wow, Really. This should not be.

Defender
May 17, 2009
To anyone who worries about this problem because they get to worlds at low levels, like me, I'm at Big Ben at 26 they could just increase the threat for people who don't have the spiral key. There is a long line of main quests so they would have to be at least a little helpful if they have the spiral key.