Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Threat Increase for Low Levels

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
A popular discussion right now is the problem of low levels in worlds that they don't belong in yet. No matter your feelings on the matter, it does indeed cause problems,as many others have illuminated. This is also not a problem unique to this game;almost all mmorpg's have had to deal with this. A simple solution to the problem would be threat increase from mobs/bosses based on level.The bigger the level difference from mob to player,the greater the threat the mob generates toward the player. For example lets say 3 level 50's are fighting the Karuvian Scargiver in Plaza of Conquests. A uninvited level 10 player decides to join in. Due to his huge difference in level, he would immediately become the attention of the Karuvian Scargiver and would probably not last very long. With the threat of immediate dying, most people would not attempt it until their character was the appropriate strength to handle it. Many mmorpg's use this solution,and it works very well.
Another consideration would be to null all experience/items gained until the character was of appropriate strength/level. That way people could still port in to help their friends,but it would stop the hacks/cheats from getting rare and powerful equipment that they did not really earn on their own merits. :)

Hero
May 19, 2009
O: that would be great, death to da noobs. But of course they would just spam everyone asking to be healed.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2008
You know, if people choose their friends poorly and choose not to utilize the in-game controls given them, that's their problem and should not become everyone's problem.

I farm two characters together in instances all the time because I pay for two accounts and I enjoy playing that way. My Life character is a Magus and farms often with my Grand. With my Life there to shield and heal, the battling goes faster and more efficiently and is much less of a tedious exhausting grind. Being able to do this makes one of my favorite activities much more enjoyable and rewarding for me. Which makes the game itself much more enjoyable and rewarding for me.

I hate to sound mean, but if some people are so foolish as to make poor friend choices, they should have to live with the consequences of their choices and no one else. If you choose to have friends, it comes with the territory. They know when they hit that "yes" button to a friends request that they are taking that chance, and they choose to. I am hurting no one by playing ANY LEVEL of my characters together in my play, and if my harmless gameplay were to be impacted by other people's bad personal choices I would be very upset indeed. They've been given tools to prevent these things. They won't use them, and now they want more.

I think this is a very bad idea. Learn to pick your friends wisely and don't create problems for yourself and everyone else. The last thing anyone needs to do is make it everyone else's problem too. My vote on this is a very definite NO.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
i think something like this is already in place?? Usually, the last player to enter gets the attention of the last mob to enter. Mobs will attack the player with: (in no order, but maybe there is an order)
1) On the first sigil circle thing
2) Doing the most damage
3) Healing
4) Lowest health

I believe I read this somewhere on wizard101.com

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
ffej49 wrote:
i think something like this is already in place?? Usually, the last player to enter gets the attention of the last mob to enter. Mobs will attack the player with: (in no order, but maybe there is an order)
1) On the first sigil circle thing
2) Doing the most damage
3) Healing
4) Lowest health

I believe I read this somewhere on wizard101.com

My grand doesn't fall into any of those categories, I am always attacked no matter what. :(

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
BayouGirl wrote:

I think this is a very bad idea. Learn to pick your friends wisely and don't create problems for yourself and everyone else. The last thing anyone needs to do is make it everyone elses problem too. My vote on this is a very definite NO.

You are not mean by stating your opinion, but you like so many others are thinking of what only you like. People will never be as responsible as you want. That being said,the end result is this IS causing lots of problems for most everyone. And though you may not like it, it is a simple solution to a problem that most mmorpg's already use. There are other ways to curtail this activity also;this is just one of the quickest and simplest is all. :)

Hero
May 19, 2009
BayouGirl wrote:
You know, if people choose their friends poorly and choose not to utilize the in-game controls given them, that's their problem and should not become everyone's problem.

I farm two characters together in instances all the time because I pay for two accounts and I enjoy playing that way. My Life character is a Magus and farms often with my Grand. With my Life there to shield and heal, the battling goes faster and more efficiently and is much less of a tedious exhausting grind. Being able to do this makes one of my favorite activities much more enjoyable and rewarding for me. Which makes the game itself much more enjoyable and rewarding for me.

I hate to sound mean, but if some people are so foolish as to make poor friend choices, they should have to live with the consequences of their choices and no one else. If you choose to have friends, it comes with the territory. They know when they hit that "yes" button to a friends request that they are taking that chance, and they choose to. I am hurting no one by playing ANY LEVEL of my characters together in my play, and if my harmless gameplay were to be impacted by other people's bad personal choices I would be very upset indeed. They've been given tools to prevent these things. They won't use them, and now they want more.

I think this is a very bad idea. Learn to pick your friends wisely and don't create problems for yourself and everyone else. The last thing anyone needs to do is make it everyone else's problem too. My vote on this is a very definite NO.

He used the scavenger as an example, during fights like that random people can just join. I've farmed there quite a bit and there are usually low lv running around.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2010
It might be worth noting that many of us who have this problem are not complaining about friends porting in.

I'm totally cool with someone who brings a friend to Dragonspyre and they help with quests or whatever. I don't personally keep strangers on my friends list so I don't have people porting to me, but I don't mind if that's how other people want to play.

In my opinion, the problem is that it's becoming increasingly common for low-level characters to hop into fights with complete strangers in the higher worlds, trying to get items or complete quests they aren't yet capable of doing on their own. I wouldn't mind if I at least knew the person, or if they asked if it was okay to join in first.

Starting in Marleybone, an extra monster in your fight if you aren't properly equipped can easily mean the difference between life and death. Or it can make a 10-minute battle last 20 minutes or more. And if a person joins an existing battle after the first round, it seems to take a while for enemies to "target" that new person - their top priority is the person in the first sigil. For a game that is trying to appeal to the casual gamer crowd, these can be potentially serious problems.

Personally, I like the idea of increasing the aggression toward players that are too low-level for an area. It means people can still run around in the higher level worlds and enjoy the scenery, but they have an incentive to level themselves up properly before doing any quests.

BayouGirl, if KI were to deter lower-level people from battling in higher-level worlds, all you would need to do is level up your lower character, which would be very easy for you with your higher-level account assisting. :)

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
BayouGirl wrote:

First off, I find your post conpletely rude. Absolutely NOONE prior to your post complained about low level wizard porting to them when they are in later worlds. We have no control over how other players pick their friends or whether they leave porting on.

The complaint is that lower-level wizards are showing up in worlds they normally don't have access to. They are joining battles (I have noticed that they never instigate one on their own) and usually mess up our fights, all so that they can get badges, experience or treasures not found in the worlds they came from.

It would be one thing if they stayed with the person they ported to, but usually they will start running around, exploring and jumping into other's battles. I for one would like to see some kind of restriction in place to prevent world hopping beyond their means.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
BayouGirl wrote:

I think this is a very bad idea. Learn to pick your friends wisely and don't create problems for yourself and everyone else. The last thing anyone needs to do is make it everyone elses problem too. My vote on this is a very definite NO.

You are not mean by stating your opinion, but you like so many others are thinking of what only you like. People will never be as responsible as you want. That being said,the end result is this IS causing lots of problems for most everyone. And though you may not like it, it is a simple solution to a problem that most mmorpg's already use. There are other ways to curtail this activity also;this is just one of the quickest and simplest is all. :)

Yes the quickest way is to turn your port off when your in a big battle, and we all have that option.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
blizzardkid94 wrote:
Yes the quickest way is to turn your port off when your in a big battle, and we all have that option.

True but that will never work. This entire problem is being caused by immature people.or those who simply do not care if their actions adversely affect others. They will never adhere to your request to turn ports off.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
hi paul ironflame here, and this is where i cut in. for one thing, i am a level 47 who will lvl up today, so i am not partial to the novices and initiates who port to ds. for one thing they might not know where the great spyre is and say "oh, that sounds cool ill port to my friend there" and the next thing he/she knows he/she is up against malistare. and the rest of the players have switched realms. . you can imagine how that turns out! noob dies, malistare laughs, and the ewoks rest their voices (see star wars episode six). i got to go now, but feel free to suggest ideas to stop the noob invasion lol. :-)

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
what i am starting to do now is when a low level comes in, i tell them to make themselves useful in 2 rounds or i flee, if they dont, then i leave the battle

Explorer
May 02, 2010
The easiest solution given game design would seem to be limit porting to realms you have earned access to. The problem with threat raising is what has been mentioned. If threat was just increased you would get low levels endlessly requesting healing and they would still be adding an enemy that the low levels by no means can take care of.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
I agree, people work hard to graduate from world to world to the final battle and those who have not earned it should not be there in fights and doing the quests.

I don't deny doing this on occasion myself for fights (but not any of the quests that I remember) on both of my wizards and inviting other lower levels "up" there once I got access. Lol, I even play taxi and drop them off there. One friend farms and the other needs the furniture store.

Changing threat levels would destroy me because I am already pretty much the center of attack attention on my Grand Master Death in a multi-player mob fight, I'll never win then, lol.

That could be changed though such as lower levels could visit high worlds but can't join fights, start fights, port into fights or engage the quests, they can only visit and take the grand tour to look around.

The grand tour and seeing what's going on "up" would be incentive to work their way up but as is, if they can go there and do what the higher levels do what real incentive to they have to work their way up? Not a lot.

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
Firefrog16 wrote:
what i am starting to do now is when a low level comes in, i tell them to make themselves useful in 2 rounds or i flee, if they dont, then i leave the battle

Doesn't that just mean that you gave many of them what they wanted which was messing up your fight because many of them do that for no other reason is to enter a mob fight, then another enters (sometimes the trouble makers work in pairs) then leave you stuck with 4 enemies instead of 2 or 3.

Some even mark their spot, enter a fight, leave, drink a potion and come back quick to watch and see if you life or die. Once you wore them down to the last guy they come in and make a single hit getting credit for the full fight and the drops.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I also have two accounts and play them as a team. I have only played since late May and am just getting to DS and level 45 on both accounts, so ,y remarks should be understood as coming from someone new to this game (though I have altogether too much MMORPG experience from a variety of other games).

The original post is the first rational idea I have heard on this contentious issue. KI could just make it so that anyone under a certain level gets increased aggro in DS... this could be a fixed level or sliding scale. This does not lock the area, but makes it up to the players discretion about the risks involved. It is not about choosing friends and all that. I have no one on my friends list so I can freely port from on of my characters to the other (which makes aspects of the game much faster) and I still have people who jump into something without asking. If it is an instance, I talk to them before I start. I play a very defensive game that is frustrating for people apparently. (I have won PvP duels because the other team ran out of cards, or started arguing with one another, or just got bored when they could not kill me fast enough. :? ) If they are just there to ride along I simply leave the instance, or in a street fight I flee and change realms. Using a potion and then using the Potion game to refill takes literally a couple of minutes. No big deal.

Survivor
May 06, 2010
I have a couple people who port into my battles on a regular basis, and they're usually pretty useful, though one nearly got me killed in a boss fight but I think he was having computer problems. That's why I leave it on.

However, I just had a level 10 nearly get me killed my porting to me in DS and lengthening my battle. I was gonna let him die to teach him a lesson, but he didn't. I even lied when he asked for healing and I said my healing cards weren't available when I had a Sacrifice. Yeah, I think there should be a level cap.

I mean, I couldn't help someone in a dungeon in DS because I hadn't made it that far, though my character is level 45. Yet a level 10 can port to DS on a whim? That's beyond me!

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
A popular discussion right now is the problem of low levels in worlds that they don't belong in yet. No matter your feelings on the matter, it does indeed cause problems,as many others have illuminated. This is also not a problem unique to this game;almost all mmorpg's have had to deal with this. A simple solution to the problem would be threat increase from mobs/bosses based on level.The bigger the level difference from mob to player,the greater the threat the mob generates toward the player. For example lets say 3 level 50's are fighting the Karuvian Scargiver in Plaza of Conquests. A uninvited level 10 player decides to join in. Due to his huge difference in level, he would immediately become the attention of the Karuvian Scargiver and would probably not last very long. With the threat of immediate dying, most people would not attempt it until their character was the appropriate strength to handle it. Many mmorpg's use this solution,and it works very well.
Another consideration would be to null all experience/items gained until the character was of appropriate strength/level. That way people could still port in to help their friends,but it would stop the hacks/cheats from getting rare and powerful equipment that they did not really earn on their own merits. :)

What if they were to say, die and start crying about how much they want to be healed. What about this, he kills the noob then the noob is extracted from the battle back into the little harmless town of wizard city where the guards are weak and the guys talk like girls.

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
i disagree. if you are lets say a level 42 in dragonspyre and your friends are working to fight this boss, and they are two levels higher, you would die yourself. it ruins the balance of the game. but yes, it would be nice to not have level 10s in our battles. especially when they cause more enemies to come into a battle

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
MSS11 wrote:
i disagree. if you are lets say a level 42 in dragonspyre and your friends are working to fight this boss, and they are two levels higher, you would die yourself. it ruins the balance of the game. but yes, it would be nice to not have level 10s in our battles. especially when they cause more enemies to come into a battle

It would be a progressive aggro scale, the more the variant in levels,the greater the aggro. A two level difference would mean very little for aggro. A 40 level level difference,<see my example> would be huge and the aggro would be fierce. Understand now?

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
that's true. at least there could be a range. but i also wonder if they could prevent them from porting to an area they havent unlocked entirely. But wouldn't that cause somewhat of a problem? for higher level people?

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
blizzardkid94 wrote:

True but that will never work. This entire problem is being caused by immature people.or those who simply do not care if their actions adversely affect others. They will never adhere to your request to turn ports off.

That is true, turning ports off can help sometimes though and if you choose your friends wisely that will help even more. This can help when your in a dungeon but I agree it wont do much for the street fights people jump into.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
Preacher7719 wrote:
First off, I find your post conpletely rude. Absolutely NOONE prior to your post complained about low level wizard porting to them when they are in later worlds. We have no control over how other players pick their friends or whether they leave porting on.

... I for one would like to see some kind of restriction in place to prevent world hopping beyond their means.

First off, I find your post completely rude. Low level wizards do port to higher-leveled friends- that's kinda how they got there in the first place. Then after that they usually start joining battles.

I agree. People should choose friends wisely and turn port off.
I often help my mom out in Dragonspyre, or when I'm on my little wizards I help my other friends in Krokotopia or whatever, so if they did such a thing as target the lowest wizard, I wouldn't be able to help any of my friends when they really need it.

I wish we could control people who intentionally go around world-hopping and ruining everyone else's game play so this thread wouldn't be necessary to post, but we can't. But maybe instead of asking KingsIsle to do everything, we can just find another solution ourselves.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Shannoony wrote:
First off, I find your post completely rude. Low level wizards do port to higher-leveled friends- that's kinda how they got there in the first place. Then after that they usually start joining battles.

I agree. People should choose friends wisely and turn port off.
I often help my mom out in Dragonspyre, or when I'm on my little wizards I help my other friends in Krokotopia or whatever, so if they did such a thing as target the lowest wizard, I wouldn't be able to help any of my friends when they really need it.

I wish we could control people who intentionally go around world-hopping and ruining everyone else's game play so this thread wouldn't be necessary to post, but we can't. But maybe instead of asking KingsIsle to do everything, we can just find another solution ourselves.

No matter your opinions on the matter,it is a problem that needs to be dealt with. There is also no solution that players can do to control this, since the players who are rude and don't care are the ones causing it. Also,though you may like porting and helping your family and friends in high level places,a low level wizard simply does not belong there. I have seen this reiterated by staff comments. I suspect it's just a matter of time before a solution is implemented. If you really want to go to a certain area,then do the quests and level like you are supposed to.