Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

why can't I get open chat using gift cards

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 14, 2009
i am a level 42 pyromancer and tired of trying to understand my friends that have open chat. almost all of my friends have open chat because they pay with a credit card, but i have to use gift cards. I dont understand why people who use gift cards can't get open chat because we don't use a credit card. We are paying our own money just like credit card players and the only difference is how we pay it. so please, kingsisle tell me why credit card players can get get open chat while gift card players can't. :(

Open Chat is only available to accounts that are age 18+ and the accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.
Since any age can purchase a Gift Card, it must be restricted to Credit Cards on file with us only.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Go to your local bank branch. You can open a checking or savings account with as little as 50 dollars in most places. The bank will then give you a form to fill out for a debit MC/Visa. Fill it out,and you will have your card in a few days. Use it to set up your open chat.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
another question, what if parents trust their kids using open chat, cause my friends say that their parents upgraded from text chat to open chat, but i am still think its not right that credit card users still get to use open chat instead of gift card users

Hero
May 19, 2009
Just add your credit card info to your account, you dont actually have to buy anything with it. They just need a valid card on file to verify your age.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
A better answer to your question as to why credit cards users are gained the privilege of open chat as opposed to other means is legality. KI tries to protect the minors more than most mmorpg's. Part of that protection is age verification. A credit card is an acceptable way of a legal form of age proof . Sure there will always be those who circumvent measures such as this,but by requiring a credit card,KI has what is considered legal proof of a minimum of 18 years of age. A gift card carries with it no such standard as recognized by the law and courts. :)

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
A better answer to your question as to why credit cards users are gained the privilege of open chat as opposed to other means is legality. KI tries to protect the minors more than most mmorpg's. Part of that protection is age verification. A credit card is an acceptable way of a legal form of age proof . Sure there will always be those who circumvent measures such as this,but by requiring a credit card,KI has what is considered legal proof of a minimum of 18 years of age. A gift card carries with it no such standard as recognized by the law and courts. :)

thanks man, i understand now, a few comments were saying to get a credit card, but that wasnt the point, thnx again for clearing it up for me

Survivor
Feb 09, 2010
Prospector Zeke wrote:
Open Chat is only available to accounts that are age 18+ and the accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.
Since any age can purchase a Gift Card, it must be restricted to Credit Cards on file with us only.

I payed with gift card, as well. But my question is "How can my parent confirm that I am or above 13?" Is there a way to do this?

Jimmy7773 wrote:
Prospector Zeke wrote:

I payed with gift card, as well. But my question is "How can my parent confirm that I am or above 13?" Is there a way to do this?

If they purchase a subscription through the use of a CREDIT CARD (not a gift card) on our site, this validates that the owner of the Credit Card is over 18 and can setup the Parental Controls on your account.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Delver
Jun 30, 2009
To me that's not even FAIR. Why do you need a Credit Card? It's just not-fair. I think as long as you are a paying member of Wizard101, you should be allowed to have Open Chat (18+) Because. I only use Gift Cards, and I am 18+.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
XMike551X wrote:
To me that's not even FAIR. Why do you need a Credit Card? It's just not-fair. I think as long as you are a paying member of Wizard101, you should be allowed to have Open Chat (18+) Because. I only use Gift Cards, and I am 18+.

If you had read the replies above,you would have your answer.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
XMike551X wrote:

unfortunly KI has no other way to prove that someone is 18+ for open chat. A credit card is the only way. Since this game is user friendly for the younglins. It is really the only way to protect the kiddies, of proof of age from a credit card.

Sure they can stick a birth date section to prove ones age for open chat, then the game will no longer be a safe haven for the kids. Kids, if they want open chat, all's they have to do is lie of their age to get it.

Tis why a credit card is necessary for the age bracket, as Zeke said, any kid can go to their local store to buy a game card, there is no age limit to purchase one. Its KI's way to protect the little rascals that play W101.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2010
if this is the case its fine but what i wonder is...what is the point of parental controls if ki is not letting us as parents decide if open chat is fine to use i mean i would like to trust my kids make up their own minds on what language they use. I like to think that once i give my kids the money to do as they wish they can enjoy what they paid for unrestricted of a company that is already earn their keep.

You can decide the level of chat you want your children to have, but first you must verify your age as being over 18, and you can do that with the use of a credit card on the site.

kingluffyooo wrote:
if this is the case its fine but what i wonder is...what is the point of parental controls if ki is not letting us as parents decide if open chat is fine to use i mean i would like to trust my kids make up their own minds on what language they use. I like to think that once i give my kids the money to do as they wish they can enjoy what they paid for unrestricted of a company that is already earn their keep.