Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets casting spells?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
i just want to know what pets can, if they have to give u a card, do they attack on their own or do u hve to pass in that turn.
Thx.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2010
ive played with my pets in battles ever since the pet thing came out. not ONE spell was played by my pets! :-(

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
They will cast the spell on their own. I have a storm cat that casts a storm shield, usually when I'm up against an enemy from school of storm. It is random, however, and does not happen all the time. I believe the higher your pet's stats, the higher the chance of this happening. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.....

Alexander Mythfinder

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
Perhaps you have not trained your pet enough. Only a few pet talents allow your pet to cast spells for you. If you hatch new pets, you can the rest of your pet's talents. Trust me, every pet can do this!

Connor Raveneyes, lv. 36 Thaurmatage

Explorer
Jul 26, 2009
I have two Epic pets with almost maxed stats and still have NOT seen any pets cast spells.

Administrator
The ability for a pet to cast a spell is a potential Talent.

If your pet manifests a talent such as Fireblade (May cast Fire Charm) then it has the ability to cast a spell during a duel.

If your pet does not have a Talent that allows it to cast a spell, then it cannot cast a spell during a duel, but it can help you in other ways by increasing your Power Pip chance or increasing your damage, mana, health and other attributes.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jun 06, 2010
i also have a storm cat. I know it gives a card but idk what the card does. Can someone please tell me the attributes of the storm cat? :(

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
i have a rain colossus that comes with a lighting bats card and just recently she casts it herself all the time. she just turned teen too.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
zer57 wrote:
i have a rain colossus that comes with a lighting bats card and just recently she casts it herself all the time. she just turned teen too.

Since the preview update has come out, all of my pets that come with a card is now "cast" by the pet. This is a very weak cheat by KI in taking their foot out of their mouth when they announced about the Pet Update having pets that will fight alongside their wizard, when in reality less than 3% of the ten million member community have a pet that will actually do so.

Come on KI, these cards go in our deck, to be chosen by us when it appears. Why is it suddenly being "cast" by the pet? This is not a Talent. And you zoom in to the pet so much that when it fizzles, you barely catch the fading words when the camera goes back to normal viewing. Are my clothes suddenly going to start moving on it's own if I cast cards that came with it?

If I have a negative charm on me and my pet now casts the card that came with it, does the negative charm take effect (after all, the charm is on me, not my pet)?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Yes. With the new update, pets will now animate to cast when their innate card is played by the wizard.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
Gamma wrote:
The ability for a pet to cast a spell is a potential Talent.

If your pet manifests a talent such as Fireblade (May cast Fire Charm) then it has the ability to cast a spell during a duel.

If your pet does not have a Talent that allows it to cast a spell, then it cannot cast a spell during a duel, but it can help you in other ways by increasing your Power Pip chance or increasing your damage, mana, health and other attributes.

Can you please verify that talents like "Firetrap" which are supposed to cast a ward on the enemy work properly, because I've never seen this cast, and my pet is not halfway through Ancient.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2009
my sturdy dragon that gives the dryad card casts its own spell all the time (hehe it gives dryad card 54hp and 1% power pip and its at adult) hehe and my brothers cloud demon that gives the kraken card always casts its card too and same with all the other pets that i have seen or used in battle

Survivor
Sep 07, 2009
chemistry5 wrote:
Perhaps you have not trained your pet enough. Only a few pet talents allow your pet to cast spells for you. If you hatch new pets, you can the rest of your pet's talents. Trust me, every pet can do this!

Connor Raveneyes, lv. 36 Thaurmatage

This can not be accurate since my pets are Epic and still have never cast a spell despite clearly showing that one of their 4 talents is casting a blade. I have determined that this is a talent of little to no value. I much prefer talents that help me predictably such as increased power, accuracy, or resistance. A pet that "might" cast a spell one out of 100+ times is of very little use to me. I don't know what the actual % chance of it casting is, but based on the fact that my pets have never done it despite hundreds of fights, I have to assume that the % is very low. In short, you can NOT count on it to help you in a fight.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
ok so my pet helephant got the charm casting talent and i've had it for more then a month now and it still has not cast the spell once is this bad luck or a glitch

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
May Cast blades, traps and bubbles are bugged and will not cast.
Shields and Spritely do cast. The wizard that owns the pet can still cast in that same round.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
I think the main problem with the casting and in fact the whole pet concept, is that it as so random.

My death Ghoul pretty much tosses a death shield, maybe 70% when I am attacked by a death spell. My life minotaur barely tosses anything.

KI needs to remove the 'may' from the pet's action and have it toss a shield or a blade, whenever it's needed on a consistent basis. For a the blade, it may be that I reach six pips, then automatically it's activated. For a shield, whenever I am struck with a 4 pip level attack; it activates. Something, anything, but this 'may' option is a deal breaker.

The key, is it needs to be predictable, reliable and consistent.

This whole pet concept, as been more a matter of uncontrolled expectations, than anything else.

KI, needs to really lay out exactly what users can and more importantly cannot expect from this whole pet campaign.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
PrinceAlex13 wrote:
They will cast the spell on their own. I have a storm cat that casts a storm shield, usually when I'm up against an enemy from school of storm. It is random, however, and does not happen all the time. I believe the higher your pet's stats, the higher the chance of this happening. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.....

Alexander Mythfinder
yes because if you discard it might give you the card sometimes :D