Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

80000 for the hatching process. Too expensive

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
I would really like to be a pet hoarder. But the problem 80000 gold is too much for just one pet. I'm a grandmaster so it's bit too hard to get that much gold. Going through malistiare's dungeon takes about 30 minutes if you know what to do and have the right people. (which i do) after that in Malistaire's i make at the MOST 10K gold and at the least 2K. Doing that i'd have to take a long time just to make one pet it'd take about 8 - 40 times just to get that. You'd think wow 8 not to bad. I've been to Malistaire's dungeon about 150 times and only have gotten 10K once. Most likely you'll get like 3 - 5K. Doing that if you got the right people and know what to do you'll take 4hours - 20hours just to do. And who has that time. Plus you have to find ANOTHER person with that money. Too much time wasted.

What are your thoughts?

Hunter Frostleaf Level 50 Grandmaster Thuergist
Lucas Frostleaf level 22 (Something) Conjurer

Hero
May 19, 2009
Just farm another boss that only takes 2 or 3 min like the ones in the plaza of conqeusts. I got around 120,000 gold in just 3 or 4 days.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
Just farm another boss that only takes 2 or 3 min like the ones in the plaza of conqeusts. I got around 120,000 gold in just 3 or 4 days.

3-4 days of how many hours per day exactly? o.0

My biggest issue with this game at the moment (and many MMOs for that matter) is that they encourage people to play waaaaay more than they should. For people who may have a slight tendency toward OCD (gotta finish it NOW) or kids who are just trying to keep up with their friends, this can create a major life imbalance. I realize people have free will and are responsible for their own decisions, but I kind of feel like these games prey on people's weaknesses to make them play too many hours or spend too much real life money. What exactly is the point of making mounts, castles, reagents, pet hatching, and vanity equipment virtually unobtainable without spending Crowns or hours upon hours of farming time?

Just to give some examples...

I farmed Malistaire I don't know how many times (maybe 20?) and never got the level 50 life robe. After almost a full calendar year of trying, I finally just bought it with Crowns from the chest but resented having to do so. I can understand not getting it the first time, or even the 3rd or 4th. But when you reach the 10th time, it kind of feels like the game is programmed to taunt you.

I've been working on the Dragonspyre crafting quests for almost a year. Because the reagents are so scarce, and generally not for sale at the Bazaar, I'm having to waste HOURS of my free time riding around in circles and realm-hopping. Maybe some people find that fun, but I don't.

There are many features of this game that I will never use, due to the fact that they're only available with Crowns. I find it annoying that, as a paid subscriber of this game since March 2009, there are so many features I cannot access with in-game gold.

I also find it frustrating how the game instantly devalues your hard-earned gold. If you buy a castle, then decide to buy a different castle, you get less than one-tenth of the purchase price back from the vendor. That's a whole lot of depreciation.

And pet food! For heaven's sake, why is the cheapest pet food 250 gold?? Given the amount of pet food you need to optimize your pet's training, you're talking tens of thousands of gold on pet food.

I'm sure there are countless other examples of the game wasting my time/money, but I have to go make lunch now. It would be so nice if someone, somewhere could invent an engaging MMO that you can fully enjoy in less than 2 hours/day. Is that so much to ask?

Hero
May 02, 2009
Did you use rare pets for the hatching process?

If so, then as Prof. Greyrose said in a recent post, the pet hatch cost depends on how rare the pet is.
EX: if you use 1 helephant and 1 orthrus, then the cost is gonna be high, because those are rare pets (technically their school specific pets, but you know what I mean.)

Remember, rare pets have a higher hatch cost then pets that are more common.

Hero
May 19, 2009
lisiedawn wrote:
DarthNexus wrote:

3-4 days of how many hours per day exactly? o.0

My biggest issue with this game at the moment (and many MMOs for that matter) is that they encourage people to play waaaaay more than they should. For people who may have a slight tendency toward OCD (gotta finish it NOW) or kids who are just trying to keep up with their friends, this can create a major life imbalance. I realize people have free will and are responsible for their own decisions, but I kind of feel like these games prey on people's weaknesses to make them play too many hours or spend too much real life money. What exactly is the point of making mounts, castles, reagents, pet hatching, and vanity equipment virtually unobtainable without spending Crowns or hours upon hours of farming time?

Just to give some examples...

I farmed Malistaire I don't know how many times (maybe 20?) and never got the level 50 life robe. After almost a full calendar year of trying, I finally just bought it with Crowns from the chest but resented having to do so. I can understand not getting it the first time, or even the 3rd or 4th. But when you reach the 10th time, it kind of feels like the game is programmed to taunt you.

I've been working on the Dragonspyre crafting quests for almost a year. Because the reagents are so scarce, and generally not for sale at the Bazaar, I'm having to waste HOURS of my free time riding around in circles and realm-hopping. Maybe some people find that fun, but I don't.

There are many features of this game that I will never use, due to the fact that they're only available with Crowns. I find it annoying that, as a paid subscriber of this game since March 2009, there are so many features I cannot access with in-game gold.

I also find it frustrating how the game instantly devalues your hard-earned gold. If you buy a castle, then decide to buy a different castle, you get less than one-tenth of the purchase price back from the vendor. That's a whole lot of depreciation.

And pet food! For heaven's sake, why is the cheapest pet food 250 gold?? Given the amount of pet food you need to optimize your pet's training, you're talking tens of thousands of gold on pet food.

I'm sure there are countless other examples of the game wasting my time/money, but I have to go make lunch now. It would be so nice if someone, somewhere could invent an engaging MMO that you can fully enjoy in less than 2 hours/day. Is that so much to ask?

when you put it that way, it makes just about every single hobby seem pointless, why spend real money on tickets to a sports game, or go to the movies with friends, why spend extra money for premuim cable or pay per view? People do it bc they like it and think its fun and if they didnt like it they wouldnt play the game.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Why must everyone assume that the Hatching of Pets is meant to be a Daily or even a Weekly thing?

Hatching a pet at 100k+ is just fine. It's meant to keep GRANDMASTERS busy until Celestia is ready.

If you're hatching a pet every 24 hours, what are you doing with the other pets you've just hatched? Don't they also deserve love and attention? What about Dropped pets?

There is only 1 thing wrong with the Pet System, and that's the way the Pet XP is handled.

You need a grand total of 1,875 XP to go from a BABY to an EPIC.

Once you max out the stats on a pet, you get 1 XP / game... That's right, 1 XP.

Small-Stat pets max out earlier, which means by Adult you may be out of 'Easy' XP.

Pets XP should not be tied solely to the increase of the pets Stats.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:

when you put it that way, it makes just about every single hobby seem pointless, why spend real money on tickets to a sports game, or go to the movies with friends, why spend extra money for premuim cable or pay per view? People do it bc they like it and think its fun and if they didnt like it they wouldnt play the game.

Most hobbies eat about 6 hours/week. Golf = 3 hours for 18 holes. Tennis = 2 hours for a competitive match. Reading a book = 4-6 hours. Spectator sporting events = 3-4 hours. Movies = 2-3 hours.

MMOs (and this game in particular) can eat 6-10 hours for ONE QUEST, if it's a crafting quest. I'm just asking, why does the time investment for gaming have to be disproportionately high compared to other hobbies? I'm on a yearly subscription, so it's not like they're getting paid by the hour. It would be interesting to know the average hours/week subscribers spend on this game. I'm guessing over 20. That's unhealthy for a variety of reasons.

And the fact that you didn't answer my question leads me to believe your 3-4 days was 3-4 12-hour days lol. I'm fighting these bosses in the Plaza of Conquests right now, and at 60ish gold per fight plus one piece of equipment/furniture, I can tell there's no way I'm getting 120,000 gold in 3-4 days. I'd love to know more about your methodology!

Survivor
Nov 10, 2009
flash33 wrote:
Did you use rare pets for the hatching process?

If so, then as Prof. Greyrose said in a recent post, the pet hatch cost depends on how rare the pet is.
EX: if you use 1 helephant and 1 orthrus, then the cost is gonna be high, because those are rare pets (technically their school specific pets, but you know what I mean.)

Remember, rare pets have a higher hatch cost then pets that are more common.

whats the point of hatching 2 common pets? would you spend 800000 gold hatch a stray piggle with a fire cat just for fun? think before you post

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
I know 80000 gold just to hatch a dumb pet
well for that price the pet can stay i the egg for all i care.
i mean who is the person who made it that price.
They could have thought "Hmmmm 80000 gold, thats alot of gold, maybe about 5000 gold" NO they said "80000 gold thats not alot all us "ADMIN"
have billions so lets make it 80000 gold"

After getting all the money you find yourself wasting the money on a pet that could be ether "Lets say a Pig and hydra" a Hydra or pig its a 50 , 50 chance and if you do end up getting the same pet your about to throw you PC across the room. I suggest avoiding hatching as much as possible.
i mean for 80000 gold you could get, hmm - x50 hats, x10 cloths, x70 other pets, ect. I meant what would you rather have i dumb pet or billions of other COOL stuff

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
I tried to mix my helephant with another pet and it would cost me over 97,000 gold! To get that much money will take forever and that is more expensive than my house by 47,000 gold. My house is the Grand Fortess and that took forever to get. Plus, you got to get another player with that money. It is too much money wasted and time lost. I, however, am not wasting my gold on this till the prices are extermly low.

Jack ShadowBlood lvl 48, master pyromancer

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:

How many hours each day. 7 or 8? That's even worse.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
80000 is deffinately way to much. it takes me so long to get that much money. Hatching pets should be close to free. Making eggs is natural. Why should W101 place a price on something natural. The only exspenses should be a little bit for the technology of hatching. I mean come on! who gains from 80000. It's not like the Administraters get the money. Where does the money go? It just disappears. This is just unfair and I hope they do something about this.

Hero
May 19, 2009
A mmo and people are complaining about the time it takes to do things. If you want things to happen fast go buy and play console games which average a play time of 8 to 12 hours to complete. As for mmos, the play time from quests and training is always 300+ hours.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2010
I have to admit that the cost of hatching sort of shocked me, and it definitely tanked my interest in the whole pet experience.

I got a White Magician Rat off of Meowiarty (I love that name!) and finally got him up to Adult. I was pretty excited to take him and my dragon (normal, boring, standard dragon) and see what came out. Then I discovered that it costs 56600 gold.

Don't get me wrong: I'm a firm believer that if you want something badly enough, you can save up for it. That said, my understanding of pets is that all of that money is essentially going toward a gamble -- you may get something cool, you may not -- and as such, it's nowhere near worth it to me.

I look at it this way: which would I rather have, a permanent mount or a possibility (unknown percentage) of getting something nifty? The mount wins, hands down. Followed, for that matter, by the Fire house. Why? Because for the money I'm spending, I *know* what I'm getting, and I already know that I like them.

Given the amount of time it takes to make money in this game (conceding that, as Darth Nexus said, it's an MMO and the format of those means that things take time), it seems to me that the reward is too inconsistent for the cost. In other words, it's not worth the gamble.

Of course, your mileage may vary. For some people, the risk is worth the reward. Reading these forums, though, I get the impression that it's not that common a sentiment.

-Gabriel Firewalker, Master Pyromancer

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
turtleboy777 wrote:
I would really like to be a pet hoarder. But the problem 80000 gold is too much for just one pet. I'm a grandmaster so it's bit too hard to get that much gold. Going through malistiare's dungeon takes about 30 minutes if you know what to do and have the right people. (which i do) after that in Malistaire's i make at the MOST 10K gold and at the least 2K. Doing that i'd have to take a long time just to make one pet it'd take about 8 - 40 times just to get that. You'd think wow 8 not to bad. I've been to Malistaire's dungeon about 150 times and only have gotten 10K once. Most likely you'll get like 3 - 5K. Doing that if you got the right people and know what to do you'll take 4hours - 20hours just to do. And who has that time. Plus you have to find ANOTHER person with that money. Too much time wasted.

What are your thought

I don't think hatching is over the top. You have to remember guys, this was meant for people who have nothing else to do, and can focus on this their full game time. Besides, you get at least two free pets from quests, and you can always buy pets from the pet shop. You don't have to hatch a pet; this isn't required and I certainly won't do it.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2010
:) Hi everyone! I have to agree that 80,000 for hatching your own pets together is totaly too much.I mean you spend long enough time raising them to adults,think you can create a winning combo then try and see that price!!!!! OMG I was in awe after I view the total gold needed. Then to return after the weekend of horror to find both my adult pets were MIA and had been replaced by 2 duplicates of 2 other babies????? OMG I wanted to kill someone!!!!! I even had my gold ready to hatch a bolt collosus (from a 10 dollar store card) and an Evil Lep. (bough with crowns) and I felt like.....WTH??????
High priced hatching should only be when it's between to players. I know Kingsisle is here to make money,but come on now guys!!!!!

Defender
May 02, 2010
Hatching is not always that expensive. I just got my life minotaur to Ancient yesterday. I checked the cost of breeding certain pets. Hatching with a Unicorn cost about 45k, maybe much less if my pet was at the same pedigree level (around 28). Hatching with Orthrus cost around 90k.

Another issue. I maxed out 4 of my 5 stats. It is very hard to raise my strength because I can't stand gobbler drop. Also, when I max that out, I will have no more stats to raise, therefor I will receive no EXP!

Survivor
May 23, 2009
80,000 to hatch a pet is ridiculos! I was wondering, what happens to the 2 pets i use to hatch? do they disapear or do i retain them as well as the egg?

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
turtleboy777 wrote:

What are your thought

with you all the way dude. it's tecnikly like robing kid's or adults or teens.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
i think it should be-

2 babies-10,000
2teens-20,000
2adults-30,000
2ancient-40,000
2epic-50,000

Survivor
May 04, 2010
Survivor
May 23, 2009
We have been playing Wizards for over a year now and unless the price for the pets comes down, we will not be playing this part of the game. I am really disappointed that they are doing this. I think it is really unfair.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2008
i mean i spent all this time getting my krok to adult im so excited to fuse him with my ghoul i got to the hatchery and its exactly 48550 im like i could farm that but it would hinder my leveling so now i wont fuse pets until they see that the price is to much

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Gree1 wrote:
i think it should be-

2 babies-10,000
2teens-20,000
2adults-30,000
2ancient-40,000
2epic-50,000

yeah like still way too expensive!

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Ok after a few minutes of some math i discovered it is roughly 555gold per species max attributes(example my krokomummy says 3610 that thirty six) so if I have a thirty six max attribute pet it would be simply 555x36=19980 which is a lot of gold but reasonable. BUT then it is that plus the other pet i want to hatch with so if i wanted to hatch with my 35 max diseased wildclaw it would be 35x555=19425 which again is a lot but reasonable. But of course to make these too have an egg i must add the prices together. 19980+19425=39405. We can assume that it is around 40,000 gold !!!!!! don’t you all think that is just way to much i mean i could see even thirty thousand but I am mixing to pets that are good but no rare so if i had a rare pet... that would be just way too much.
I am not sure if this was the goal but i also figure out it was 29600 crowns to get forty thousand gold... that means if you wanted a good deal you would buy the $60.00 deal then spend half on gold so you could get one pet. that means your paying $30.00 for a pet. Is there a connection between that? Because i get a decent allowance every week and i think that that is a waste and not using crowns... that would take a very very long time.
Just saying that it could be a little lower even like the old rule minus like ten or five thousand gold would be cool
see you in duels to some
-Ronan Deathweaver
(p.s. did i get close to the rule because i am mostly curious about that?)